Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spoeank posted:

They are incredible stupid testaments to american hubris because each one is bigger and dumber than the one before it. They loving rule.

Also because the 3rd one takes place after the 6th one

I love that the lovely protag of Tokyo Drift looks like he aged 50 years when he's still supposed to be like 20

Also it's pretty amazing that the only one that's kinda bad is Tokyo Drift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Paint Crop Pro posted:

I really haven't watched the fast and furious movies but this looks cool as hell

Go watch the first one and then watch this one and be confused as hell about how one links to the other

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Hot Diggity! posted:

I love that the lovely protag of Tokyo Drift looks like he aged 50 years when he's still supposed to be like 20

Also it's pretty amazing that the only one that's kinda bad is Tokyo Drift

I'm sorry, I have to disagree, Tokyo Drift is the dumbest movie of them all and it owns so hard as a result.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first Fast and the Furious was about street racing and hijacking trucks to steal consumer electronics.

The latest ones are The Avengers meets James Bond.

THEY ARE STEALING LITERAL VHS PLAYERS :hmbol:

The Fast & Furious Franchise is older than the iPod and when America first met Dominic Toretto, the twin towers were still standing. The first Fast & the Furious was the last 90s action movie (the 90's ended on 9/11)

Manoueverable posted:

I'm sorry, I have to disagree, Tokyo Drift is the dumbest movie of them all and it owns so hard as a result.

Tokyo Drift is great when you place it properly in the timeline because the technology all looks insanely outdated.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Spoeank posted:

The Fast & Furious Franchise is older than the iPod and when America first met Dominic Toretto, the twin towers were still standing. The first Fast & the Furious was the last 90s action movie (the 90's ended on 9/11)

Tokyo Drift is great when you place it properly in the timeline because the technology all looks insanely outdated.

Stealing VHS players is basically them fighting level 1 rats to level up. Each movie they progressively fight harder bad guys and the DM is very generous about leveling up their skills.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manoueverable posted:

I thought for sure that guy was faking the southern accent but nope that's just what he sounds like

Spoeank posted:

Uh excuse me they were TV/VHS combos

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Joey Freshwater posted:

I thought for sure that guy was faking the southern accent but nope that's just what he sounds like

Uh excuse me they were TV/VHS combos

it was both, actually:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's "rule of cool," the franchise. It kicks rear end.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I watched the first movie and Tokyo Drift and I saw why people would like them but I'm not a car guy so I thought they weren't for me.

I have now done a 180, I want to get a jumbo tub of popcorn and binge the insanity now.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's "rule of cool," the franchise. It kicks rear end.

Honestly the series is just missing a chaos dunk and it would be absolute perfection

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
I was never keen on the Fast movies. Then I joined this thread and they kept getting chatted up so I watched them all and now I'm very excited for the 9th what happened.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They don't do much for me, but I'm happy they exist.

I'm also happy the first was a success so we got films like Torque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCeFJ66oRM

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

ZuluDashOne posted:

I was never keen on the Fast movies. Then I joined this thread and they kept getting chatted up so I watched them all and now I'm very excited for the 9th what happened.

The thread hasn't steered you wrong yet.

Fast and Furious
HZD
Rice Cooker

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

one of the coolest things about the FF movies is they've made so many of them that all the production people are the same and like, actors and light guys and crew all just hang out together the entire time. There's no actors only area or anything. It's such an awesome set that it's a vacation for everyone involved.

also Vin Diesel has a two story trailer with the bottom floor full of workout equipment he never uses. any shot that's not a really wide angle or a tight face is done by his body double.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

one of the coolest things about the FF movies is they've made so many of them that all the production people are the same and like, actors and light guys and crew all just hang out together the entire time. There's no actors only area or anything. It's such an awesome set that it's a vacation for everyone involved.

also Vin Diesel has a two story trailer with the bottom floor full of workout equipment he never uses. any shot that's not a really wide angle or a tight face is done by his body double.

well of course he wouldn't use it when he's too busy playing DND and rewriting his scripts for the next Riddick movie

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

ZuluDashOne posted:

TRAILER DROP BABY

by the way here are my official F&F conspiracy theories:

Dom's Jesus Chain is actually a magical talisman. When people are in proximity to it, they become big ol massive morons. The person wearing Jesus Chain has power to control the movements of those afflicted.

Charlize Theron's character was actually the heir to a DVD/VHS combo company, and Dom & crew's constant heists led her family to near-ruin

Dom was in Japan at the end of Tokyo Drift to pay back DK's Uncle Kamata because his uncle shipped the DVD/VHS combos and provided Dom with information for their arrival/theft in the United States. He was there to give Kamata his cut, not get Han's effects.

Brian O'Connor was actually a CIA psyop on the FBI, he was in deep cover to be the most bungling cop possible. Bilkins and Penning were in on it, which is why he could do whatever he wanted with impunity.

They should have killed off Brian because the current story, if you trace it out, is "Dom is all chopped up because his best friend and his sister are living happily ever after"

Braga is still out there, unmolested. Campos was a permanent fall guy

Hobbes and Shaw ended the way it did because two spec ops guys learned "taking turns" and "teamwork" and every main character in that movie should be dead

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Kalli posted:

They don't do much for me, but I'm happy they exist.

I'm also happy the first was a success so we got films like Torque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCeFJ66oRM

When the hell did Road Rash get a movie and why didn't I know about this.

Spoeank posted:

TRAILER DROP BABY

I am SO READY.

Also should I watch Hobbes and Shaw? I didn't watch because I wasn't sure if it really fit in with the Fast movies.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ZuluDashOne posted:

When the hell did Road Rash get a movie and why didn't I know about this.

I am SO READY.

Also should I watch Hobbes and Shaw? I didn't watch because I wasn't sure if it really fit in with the Fast movies.

It’s fine, definitely more testosterone driven “comedy” that the F&F movies, some fun stuff but also not nearly as good as it could’ve been, unfortunately the Rock’s ego continues to be the defining feature of any of his movies, rather than something to be rightfully mocked.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CannonFodder posted:

Ditto, the first two. Drove cross country to Vegas with two strangers. How am I alive?
It's wild that the one in New Orleans was exactly one month before Katrina hit.

I think the final two were in Chicago and Montreal, but nothing will compare to Vegas. A gathering of people hanging out awkwardly in the lobby of Imperial Palace (RIP) is some of the gooniest poo poo.

420_Power_Rangers
Dec 9, 2014

Gotta Hate Something

D-LINK posted:

I'm sure you're raw as hell. I'm glad to hear you and the kids are mostly ok, and glad you stopped by to post. Just checking in on you, ya know?

And i appreciate it, from you and everyone else. Finally having people tell me that my feelings and emotions are valid after spending so long having to be a robot is amazing. So, again, thank you.

I am stupidly excited about this movie

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

did any regular people get screwed over by Maddoff or was it just millionaires and billionaires

A number of pension funds were involved.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What's a pension?

I feel like I heard that term once studying classical history.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Eifert Posting posted:

What's a pension?

I feel like I heard that term once studying classical history.

i had the same reaction....are there jobs that have pensions still?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Hbo max has all the old Drew Carrey Whose Lines and my wife and I have been working through it. It’s still pretty funny outside of maybe one or two jokes per episode that have aged very poorly.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact Bernie Madoff is indirectly responsible for the Met's Bobby Bonilla deal.

quote:

In 2000, the Mets owed Bobby Bonilla $5.9 million. But he had just completed a season in which he produced only four home runs and 18 RBI, so both he and the team wanted to end the relationship.

Knowing he was toward the end of his career, the 36-year-old Bonilla did something very smart: He and his agents asked the Mets to pay him nothing for 11 years, and then to pay him $1.19 million a year between 2011 and 2035.

Why would the Mets agree to pay him almost $30 million instead of the $5.9 million they owed him? As celebritynetworth points out, the Mets’ owner, Fred Wilpon, was invested with Bernie Madoff at the time, and he thought he could make more money investing that $5.9 million than he would end up paying out to Bonilla.

Madoff’s hedge fund collapsed in 2008 after it was revealed that it was a massive Ponzi scheme, but before that, the fund was delivering double-digit returns every year, so Wilpon thought the Mets would make a profit by delaying Bonilla’s payments.

Of course, it didn’t work out that way. Wilpon lost untold millions he had invested with Madoff, and now is losing over $1 million a year to Bonilla.

Bonilla received his first check in 2011 when he was 48 years old. Today he received his fifth check. Incidentally, Bonilla is making more this year than about two-thirds of the current Mets roster.

The article this is from was written in 2015. He still has 14 more years of payments left.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh, and also...

https://twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1382327331361075200?s=19

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

JPrime posted:

Hi there, government employee babeeeeeeeey!

Granted it gets raided by the legislature every couple of years and is under constant threat of being transitioned into a more traditional retirement account, but, you know, it’s there.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JPrime posted:

I think the people who shoot us for nothing, don't get in trouble over it, and then beat the poo poo out of people who get upset have them.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Officer Karen who shot and killed Daunte Wright will be charged with 2nd degree manslaughter, which carries a sentence of 10 years.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the people who shoot us for nothing, don't get in trouble over it, and then beat the poo poo out of people who get upset have them.

Pensions are for folks with strong unions. Easy mistake to make since cop unions are the only ones that folks pay attention to.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Pensions are for folks with strong unions. Easy mistake to make since cop unions are the only ones that folks pay attention to.

I still have a SAG pension!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

And yet most people's reactions are "they shouldn't have pensions either", not "I should have a pension too".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Probably because a Ford union member won't get aquited of murder 1 because of their membership.

I have fam in unions, I know the perks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I haven't seen many of the "middle" FF movies so I didn't know the backstories of The Rock and Jason Statham's characters but Hobbes and Shaw was dumb fun. It's a perfect airplane movie.

Also I met a decent amount of goons, several for back when we did yearly Seattle Mariner goon meets, then I met a bunch when I went to Final Fantasy XIV fanfest back in 2016 (a few of which I still play with today). I agree that most of them are fine except for the one that owns the goon inside them a lil too much and it becomes awkward/weird.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Vin Diesel and The Rock both hate each other because they both want to be the face of the franchise right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Edit:

^^^^^^^^

Lucy Lawless :allears:

You're thinking of the show Spartacus, which sadly isn't on HBOmax. It was originally on Starz, so you can probably see it on that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fast and the Furious is big dumb fun and I just need to buy the loving Blu-ray set and embrace the darkness.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
8 was quite poor, hopefully this one is a return to form

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Fast and the Furious is big dumb fun and I just need to buy the loving Blu-ray set and embrace the darkness.

They build the equivalent of the MCU but without you knowing it until like 6, and then fully unleash it in 7 and 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

8 was quite poor, hopefully this one is a return to form

Losing Paul Walker really took something from the series, hopefully the return of Han can bring some of that back.

Edit:

This is a really good video from the Fast 5 Stunt Coordinator breaking down the vault chase, only one shot of the vault is CGI in that (though they did a lot of compositing where the vault is swinging around near people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHxGu5YeKM

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 14, 2021