Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am an advocate for the Frozen Speartuna on the grounds that hitting poo poo with a fish is good and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Is there a way to signal your Palico/Palamute to knock you out of stuns/sleep in this game? Pinging does nothing.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is there a way to signal your Palico/Palamute to knock you out of stuns/sleep in this game? Pinging does nothing.

Pretty sure they do it automatically. Unless you have Flinch Free, in which case they don't, because they can't.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

There must be a signal for my buddies to keep doing basic attacks while I'm stunned and the monster is looking at me. Cause that's what happens every time I mash buttons while stunned.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Badly Jester posted:

Pretty sure they do it automatically. Unless you have Flinch Free, in which case they don't, because they can't.

That's not true at all. I've had them knock me out of sleep/paralysis/stun, but only once in a blue moon. I've had way more instances where one of them just stands there next to me, or the Palamute barks at the monster a whole lot. I'm just looking for a consistent way to get them to help.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Have you considered slotting in sleep immunity or stun resistance?

Seriously, what else are you using your one-slot decos on? It's really comfy to just no-sell the worst statuses.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Alxprit posted:

Seriously, what else are you using your one-slot decos on? It's really comfy to just no-sell the worst statuses.

Speed Sharpening

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Alxprit posted:

Free Meal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Full stack of geologist

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Yeah I've worked stun resistance into most of my builds if I have spare slots. There's probably more efficient things I can do with it, but I'm not getting comboed into oblivion anymore so I'm happy with it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Free mega demon drug? don't mind if I do!

I'm building a massive stockpile of consumables between the sale lottery and the amiibo lottery though. Man do they love throwing demon and armor pots and traps at you don't think I've crafted a single one since launch weekend.
For megas you obviously need to craft (I don't think they are in the lottos at least)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Full stack of geologist

I'm a geologist IRL and the first armor set I made was a gathering set to maximize Geologist. It's in my loadouts as GEOLOGIST!!

Game of the year for that alone.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kilazar posted:

Does CPP count as guard point for when I am not axe hopping?

all of my CB guard knowledge is carry-over from World so I dont know how the wirebug moves factor in or if they changed up how guard works with CB in Rise

probably have to wait for the Arekkz Cb vid to clear that up

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im gonna replace the stun resist decos i put on my clown suit with this

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

This. Less honey for mega potions lets my pet cartel keep mass producing drugs for me to take on my quests.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

The problem with the narg GS is that its too small. The Goss GS is a big chunky boy, and the Tigrex one is ugly so the choice is clear

The Tigrex one is awesome.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

One thing to keep in mind with regards to CB guard is that, IIRC, red charged shield adds one point of Guard and doing a guardpoint also adds a point of Guard. This means that if you want to optimize for full guard with the least investment, then go for slotting in Guard 3 and make sure to keep your shield charged and hit guardpoints. This will have you blocking with the full effect of Guard

This isn't how it works. Guard pointing and buffed shield do increase your knockback threshold, but it's not related to the Guard skill. Guard 5 is by no means a cap on your block effectiveness.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bring back Cera Cymmetry.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

In Training posted:

It's a whole Tigrex lower jaw on a stick with extra big teeth attached. It's peak Monster Hunter.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Bring back Cera Cymmetry.

:hmmyes:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Straight blocking is kind of pointless when the wirebug block exists, yeah. Sometimes in multiplayer guarding is nice if the monster is wigging out and you're not sure where it's going to go, but evade extender moon jump sidesteps/backhops and wirebug guard are usually more than enough defense.

It's actually kind of bumming me out because my favorite part of the big shield weapons is, well, the big shield, and neither GL or Lance seems to really actually want to block in Rise.

I posted about it in the MHW thread I think, you can still play GL how we used to back in the day: guard poking. While blocking, you can press X to do an upwards poke, and combo up to three of these, and immediately go back into a block whenever you stop poking. The old playstyle was to rely on this for most of your damage - you block an incoming attack, then immediately start poking the hell out of the monster until you need to stop to block again. If you have an opening for longer than three pokes, you can use a shell to reset that and get another three - still able to immediately cancel the combo into a block is you hold down ZR during the pokes.

There's even classic MH weapon complexity to this simple playstyle, too. The X+A uppercut deals more damage than a poke and leads into upper pokes, which again cancels into guard. The uppercut also let's you shell directly upward, which then let's you wyvern stake directly upwards.

It's not as flashy as the wham slam boom boom stuff from modern GL, but it's still a perfectly cromulent, very tanky playstyle - which is pretty fun! . With max guard and guard up you can shrug off everything and just never stop poking, similar to a Lance but with less counters and more explosions.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I am really digging this game a lot. My initial experiences are better than they were for World (and I really liked World!). This may honestly be my favorite Monster Hunter ever - I cannot wait for more content.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kobogartimer posted:

This isn't how it works. Guard pointing and buffed shield do increase your knockback threshold, but it's not related to the Guard skill. Guard 5 is by no means a cap on your block effectiveness.

i guess my mistake was assuming that Guard 5 would be the max blocking you could have then? Doesn't red shield and guard-pointing each give an equivalent of 1 point of Guard, in regards to the knockback threshold? If this is the case, then having Guard 5 plus red shield plus guard point would be like a theoretical Guard 7 then?

Gah, I hate how much this game doesnt tell the players

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i guess my mistake was assuming that Guard 5 would be the max blocking you could have then? Doesn't red shield and guard-pointing each give an equivalent of 1 point of Guard, in regards to the knockback threshold? If this is the case, then having Guard 5 plus red shield plus guard point would be like a theoretical Guard 7 then?

Gah, I hate how much this game doesnt tell the players

Yeah basically but not every point of guard increases the threshold
e. Just meaning that guard 3 + red shield is better than guard 4 would be

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Any of you playing Rise without the Nintendo OnLine service?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The village areas have so many little nooks and crannies that it'd make a great setting for a killer game of hide n' seek

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's a whole Tigrex lower jaw on a stick with extra big teeth attached. It's peak Monster Hunter.

:hmmyes:

Peak Monster Hunter aesthetic for me were the Anjanath weapons. Those things, especially the Great Sword were wonderfully morbid, yet festive.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I feel like the weapons looked cooler pre-World and I kind of wish they'd return to that.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

I feel like the weapons looked cooler pre-World and I kind of wish they'd return to that.

Weapons do looks a lot better in this game imo. And there are a lot of unique desings. Including a bowgun shaped like a dog. All of the monsters introduced in World have their boring World designs tho.

I feel like Gen spoiled us as far as the number of cool looking weapons and armors goes. Rip pizza cutter charge blade

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

In Training posted:

Tigrex Heavy Bowgun is also awesome, you just somehow have a gun hidden in his head and shoot bullets from the mouth.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kobogartimer posted:

Yeah basically but not every point of guard increases the threshold
e. Just meaning that guard 3 + red shield is better than guard 4 would be

:psyduck:

I should have known that I know next to nothing about this lol

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Which weapons are really good at breaking multiple parts on a monster? I would guess GL and CB, but anything else? I'm thinking of making a partbreaker build for multiplayer.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MHW:

What do you do about the frozen ground patches that iceface barioth uses?

They slow down my movement so much that I can't reliably get away from the follow up, but they also seem to come out extremely fast so I can't reliably dodge the icy ground in the first place.

I'm using lance for the fight and nothing even touches me except the random ice patch poo poo. Am I missing something? I can't even block when I'm on icy ground.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

mightygerm posted:

Which weapons are really good at breaking multiple parts on a monster? I would guess GL and CB, but anything else? I'm thinking of making a partbreaker build for multiplayer.

Git you some blunt force trauma. I have no issues breaking parts with a hammer, though obviously that doesn't help with tails.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mightygerm posted:

I'm not sure what it's like in Rise, but in World I had a long-range artillery build with Partbreaker that I used exclusively in multiplayer hunts. I used a heavy bowgun with Wyvernsnipe and the skill that sped up the charge rate so I could use it every 45 seconds. Then I had slicing ammo for tails and sticky ammo for heads or any annoying armor parts, then piercing ammo once I got rid of all the parts I could.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

mightygerm posted:

Sticky bowgun with partbreaker. Slicing shot for tails.

Prob cluster too...if playing solo.

Hammer spin 2 win is hilarious as you'll break multiple parts without even knowing which ones you're hitting sometimes

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

mightygerm posted:

Hunting Horn and just use the hilt stab to cut off tails, obvs.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Sticky bowgun with partbreaker. Slicing shot for tails.

Prob cluster too...if playing solo.

Hammer spin 2 win is hilarious as you'll break multiple parts without even knowing which ones you're hitting sometimes

Especially on Ragna Kadaki. Spinning bludgeon takes forever due to how many times you'll be hitting/breaking parts on that thing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alxprit posted:

Ugh I hate that evade lancing is back and people are talking like it's the one true way to use it. I like shield advancing and guarding around enemies, goddamn it, optimization be damned.

IMO insta-block is not strong enough to justify the risk unless you're perfect at it. only one way to get good at it though, and that's being lovely for a long time lol

My hottake on evade lancing, as someone who's mained lance for hundreds of hours in past games, is that lance is not strong enough offensively to justify using it over higher DPS options without taking the safety provided by the shield into account - unless you're like super wedded to the idea of the triple poke combo. That's not saying lance doesn't have more to it than blocking, but the blocking is its defining feature - especially is Rise where its mobility is less of a factor.

Of my two biggest mains in World, IG and lance, I went into Rise expecting the former to have gotten worse by virtue of everything else getting way better, but really it ended up being the latter. That is not to say Rise lance is bad (spiral thrust is amazing), but when I compare the two based on my own experience, lance feels mostly unchanged from World whereas IG is the best it's ever been since 4

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Deified Data posted:

IMO insta-block is not strong enough to justify the risk unless you're perfect at it. only one way to get good at it though, and that's being lovely for a long time lol

My hottake on evade lancing, as someone who's mained lance for hundreds of hours in past games, is that lance is not strong enough offensively to justify using it over higher DPS options without taking the safety provided by the shield into account - unless you're like super wedded to the idea of the triple poke combo. That's not saying lance doesn't have more to it than blocking, but the blocking is its defining feature - especially is Rise where its mobility is less of a factor.

Of my two biggest mains in World, IG and lance, I went into Rise expecting the former to have gotten worse by virtue of everything else getting way better, but really it ended up being the latter. That is not to say Rise lance is bad (spiral thrust is amazing), but when I compare the two based on my own experience, lance feels mostly unchanged from World whereas IG is the best it's ever been since 4

I honestly really like spiral thrust, shield charge, and the new charged sweep. One of the weapon's main flaws overall is that before, it wasn't able to take advantage of openings where the monster is down very well besides lots of triple poking. Spiral Thrust is amazing damage now that I know about the third hit, and Shield Charge can actually get some KOs with enough effort. The charged sweep is a good side option, and also able to be used in brief windows during active fights. It's sometimes great to follow up a successful normal counter with a charged sweep, especially if it's like a roar or something. It plays a lot different using all those tools compared to World, though I will miss the Counter Claw no matter what cool changes they make.

And yeah insta-block feels really weird. It doesn't gel super well with the directional shield advances which is by far my favorite part of the weapon in Gen 5. You need to stay in place and do your parry window and junk. I prefer having multiple options available to me at any given moment. The one thing I'm not good at yet is integrating Power Guard - in World I basically never used it and Counter Claw was more of a replacement for it, but now that it doesn't exist I need to get used to where it comes in handy, even if it's just extending my window for the normal counter due to a mis-time. I feel like I'm always learning something new with this thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Novasol posted:

Especially on Ragna Kadaki. Spinning bludgeon takes forever due to how many times you'll be hitting/breaking parts on that thing.

Exactly what I was thinking lol. I beat the poo poo out of that thing with my hammer for like 20 minutes before it finally died. One of my longer hunts which was weird because I was smacking it around the entire time. Poor spider.