Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

This may be a sign that perhaps kneejerk responses aren't the best idea.

This isn't doing anything for the victim, if they were doing anything for the victim we wouldn't have another dead black American. Manslaughter charges haven't stopped cops from using excessive force to the point of death, and depending on what the result of the ongoing trial against Derek Chauvin results in, you can read the room on what these charges will result in....

Right now, there is a literal army being fielded against protestors who RIGHTFULLY are protesting multiple police killings against Black Americans, and their "punishment" for protesting these travesties of justice is.....more violence against them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
There's a really important shipment for me on the Ever Given, and her getting delayed (like all other stuck traffic) was already causing massive headaches for me and people that earn several times my salary, so the news of her getting seized made a bunch of folks bleed from the eyeballs today when I casually broke the news from WaPo before they had heard of it.

But it's all good, I don't have to worry about it for the near future because I got put on sick leave this afternoon for a potentially slipped disc.

:smith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doesn't that phrasing imply that they aren't already.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

wins32767 posted:

Literally any other person in the US that killed a random person with a gun would have been immediately arrested and in jail awaiting trial.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't that phrasing imply that they aren't already.

Yeah, I'm kinda confused, us being there hasn't done jack against the Taliban and ISIS rebuilding, because they mostly train and build up elsewhere, and they've been pretty successful at attacking Afghan troops even with us being present.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If their claim of mixing up the taser for their firearm is true this would be the appropriate charge right?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

RFC2324 posted:

I read this as Han Solo at first and was suddenly far more interested in F&F.

His alias was "Han Seoul-Oh."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

PookBear posted:

Literally any other person in the US that killed a random person with a gun would have been immediately arrested and in jail awaiting trial.

They should've thought about that before they decided to murder someone without going through a police academy first

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PookBear posted:

White people get away with claiming self defense in killing non white people in ridiculous circumstances all the time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda confused, us being there hasn't done jack against the Taliban and ISIS rebuilding, because they mostly train and build up elsewhere, and they've been pretty successful at attacking Afghan troops even with us being present.

Even then, what is the alternative?

Build Afghanistan into a robust economic and politically stable country so the locals don't have a reason to turn to the Taliban for protection or economic advancement?

Pssh, we can barely do that for ourselves.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

Even then, what is the alternative?

Build Afghanistan into a robust economic and politically stable country so the locals don't have a reason to turn to the Taliban for protection or economic advancement?

Pssh, we can barely do that for ourselves.

Exactly my point: We cannot do nation building, and we cannot defend the Afghanis, we really are not doing any good by being there. Honestly, the CIA "warning" reads like a pathetic outing that the CIA can't do anything either without the US Army being deployed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

White people get away with claiming self defense in killing non white people in ridiculous circumstances all the time.

I know. And they have qualified immunity in almost every jurisdiction too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Withdrawing troops from Afghanistan doesn't mean we stop droning weddings, does it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Withdrawing troops from Afghanistan doesn't mean we stop droning weddings, does it?

Look into your heart....

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, but they get arrested for it if it looks like a murder, even if the courts rule in their favor

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Current Event: SGT Chowdown has a nemesis.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
So the US foreign policy position is in the awkward place where we bomb the poo poo out of people to create anti-American radicals which eventually leads us to invade a few countries and now we can’t leave or else we will create more anti-American radicals which will cause us to invade a few more countries which will create more anti-American radicals which means we can’t leave or else we....

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m sure we’ll keep bombing Afghanistan regardless of whether or not there are troops stationed there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Retrowave Joe posted:

Current Event: SGT Chowdown has a nemesis.

He should be eating Sgt Chowdown's head.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's a really important shipment for me on the Ever Given, and her getting delayed (like all other stuck traffic) was already causing massive headaches for me and people that earn several times my salary, so the news of her getting seized made a bunch of folks bleed from the eyeballs today when I casually broke the news from WaPo before they had heard of it.

But it's all good, I don't have to worry about it for the near future because I got put on sick leave this afternoon for a potentially slipped disc.

:smith:

Y'all need to file an insurance claim and re-order whatever was on the shipment. Cause I think Evergreen said gently caress it, you deal with it when presented with the nearly billion dollar bill.

The $900m bill is pretty small compared to the actual cost of the stuck canal, imo, but that's the cost. Either Evergreen ponies up the cash, or that poo poo is going on the auction block. I don't have a source handy and this may have came from a fever dream, but I recall reading something yesterday that Evergreen was not going to pay Egypt. That ship isn't going anywhere for a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

And against other white people (me) so long as they were "justified" in using a gun on someone black.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

And against other white people (me) so long as they were "justified" in using a gun on someone black.

I was thinking about you when I read that post also.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m sure we’ll keep bombing Afghanistan regardless of whether or not there are troops stationed there.

I'm enjoying the articles today about Russians encroaching on Ukraine and China breaching Taiwanese airspace and both aggressors telling us to keep out of it.

Quality world news entertainment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

And I'm sure the next Republican president will find a reason to send an "exploratory force" there to keep the cash register ringing. If there were Burger Kings and Subways on bases in Vietnam in the 60s we'd probably still be there.

There's too much money to be made ensuring are truups have the "comforts of home" in the purest :capitalism: way possible.

"We won't pay *you* any more money for risking your life, but we'll subsidize fast food companies out the rear end to serve you $1000 burgers for MSRP in a warzone."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

They weren't wasting time.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1382379372259143688

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

wins32767 posted:

Don't.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And I'm sure the next Republican president will find a reason to send an "exploratory force" there to keep the cash register ringing. If there were Burger Kings and Subways on bases in Vietnam in the 60s we'd probably still be there.

There's too much money to be made ensuring are truups have the "comforts of home" in the purest :capitalism: way possible.

"We won't pay *you* any more money for risking your life, but we'll subsidize fast food companies out the rear end to serve you $1000 burgers for MSRP in a warzone."

Your reward for low enlisted wages and deployments is VA disability and education benefits. As long as the war machine grinds, the VA pays. The minute the war machine starts winding down is the minute the rewards are dialed back. Keep the war effort up and you continue the nonstop pandering to "da troops" and no politician will dare vote against your benefits if they want to keep their seats.

We'll officially be the united states of corporations before we make any real cuts to the military. My state will be run by a weed corporation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another cop not charged in a civilian shooting....and it’s totally fine in this case

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ef;b The officer should've never been even looked at for charges, but it's good they've put an end to the investigation. Dude probably saved lives by popping her and keeping them away from the barricades a little bit longer.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Someone help me out here because I'm somewhat surprised: Are they "throwing her to the wolves" (i.e. doing what should be done in every loving case) because she's a woman and thus probably not a member of the tightly-knit alpha-male good-ole-boys club in the department, or am I completely off-target here?
Because I can't seem to recall a precedent for an incident where the course of action by a PD went from "lol poo poo happens" to "whoops, this is real lovely publicity" due to the media coverage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

ef;b The officer should've never been even looked at for charges, but it's good they've put an end to the investigation. Dude probably saved lives by popping her and keeping them away from the barricades a little bit longer.

Yeah that guy owns. I understand they had to for standard procedure reasons, but that guy deserves a medal. Babbitt’s self own will never stop being funny to watch. What a total dipshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

One of the few times that the correct response was engaging with lethal force.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone help me out here because I'm somewhat surprised: Are they "throwing her to the wolves" (i.e. doing what should be done in every loving case) because she's a woman and thus probably not a member of the tightly-knit alpha-male good-ole-boys club in the department, or am I completely off-target here?
Because I can't seem to recall a precedent for an incident where the course of action by a PD went from "lol poo poo happens" to "whoops, this is real lovely publicity" due to the media coverage.

Nah, she's 100% a member of the good-ole-boys club, she's the local Union President! And the Police Chief defended the hell out of her to start with!

This is all because there's video, it's obvious negligence, and the "whoopsiedoodle, killed a black kid by accident, she's so very sorry" defense just doesn't work when there's plain video everyone can see. Minnesota is already on edge to lovely cops with the Chauvin case being tried right now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

And also one of the few times a shooting could have won the grand prize on America’s Funniest Home Videos back in the day.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y'all need to file an insurance claim and re-order whatever was on the shipment. Cause I think Evergreen said gently caress it, you deal with it when presented with the nearly billion dollar bill.

The $900m bill is pretty small compared to the actual cost of the stuck canal, imo, but that's the cost. Either Evergreen ponies up the cash, or that poo poo is going on the auction block. I don't have a source handy and this may have came from a fever dream, but I recall reading something yesterday that Evergreen was not going to pay Egypt. That ship isn't going anywhere for a while.

Evergreen hasn’t made a statement either way and it’s unlikely they just say gently caress it and walk away.

But yeah, my professional advice is order a replacement, even when the ship gets released it’s going to be a while before the cargo is released too. Hope you had GA coverage.

900 mill is an absolutely outrageous sum.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Nah, she's 100% a member of the good-ole-boys club, she's the local Union President! And the Police Chief defended the hell out of her to start with!

This is all because there's video, it's obvious negligence, and the "whoopsiedoodle, killed a black kid by accident, she's so very sorry" defense just doesn't work when there's plain video everyone can see and Minnesota is already on edge to lovely cops with the Chauvin case being tried right now.

Welp. I mean, in my defense, I guess I expected Matryoshka-doll-levels of shittiness.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So nothing is going to happen to her most likely, if the Floyd trial wasn't happening right now you'd never have heard of kim potter among the background noise of cops regularly popping minorities, because her body cam would have mysteriously malfunctioned or something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

Evergreen hasn’t made a statement either way and it’s unlikely they just say gently caress it and walk away.

But yeah, my professional advice is order a replacement, even when the ship gets released it’s going to be a while before the cargo is released too. Hope you had GA coverage.

Also assuming the Egyptians don’t try and seize the cargo for “compensation”…although that might be a legit option, sadly I could never get into the maritime law class the one or two times it was offered in law school. I figured it would be a fun adventure into obscure rear end law.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Watch this channel PoliceActivity to see a lot of "good" shoots (meaning justifiable uses of deadly force, not "good" in the fact that someone was shot). I think people are underestimating the amount of times where deadly force is justified in police shootings. There's a lot of bad shoots out there, and way too much police brutality. But there are plenty of legally justifiable shoots where guys are shooting at police or charging at them with knives.

The channel also shows some really bad fuckups in some videos, too - bad tactics, bad deescalation attempts, or bad shoots, or shoots that shouldn't have happened at all had different tactics been used. Don't read the comments though, they're cancerous.

Warning: people get shot in these vids
https://youtu.be/Kzz5yDAu6c0
https://youtu.be/ha5AHSPps18
https://youtu.be/G8LzNSbPhZA

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

300m in reputational losses :lol: