Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Duck Rodgers posted:

Right, but how willing are they to use these powers without the support of provincial and municipal elected officials?

Because it's clear that the conditions in (2) are the case in most health units in Ontario, but it doesn't seem to be the case that health units are implementing measures without the support of elected governments. Ottawa was asking a few weeks ago to be moved in to a higher restriction zone, but this makes it sound like they could have just done it themselves. There is probably an issue of 'legitimacy', where unelected officials don't feel like they have the authority/ aren't seen to have the authority by others to make these sorts of decisions in contravention of decisions made by elected officials. But maybe they should be doing that, and its an indictment of them that they aren't.

depends on the moh. we were just discussing peel closing schools, and there are other uses; just google ontario section 22 orders. it's not as widespread as it could be. anyway not sure about your point because i was explicitly responding to this:

Duck Rodgers posted:

interesting to know how much they could do without provincial government support

this is how much they can do without any provincial support. whether they want to use it is a different question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Duck Rodgers posted:

Right, but how willing are they to use these powers without the support of provincial and municipal elected officials?

Because it's clear that the conditions in (2) are the case in most health units in Ontario, but it doesn't seem to be the case that health units are implementing measures without the support of elected governments. Ottawa was asking a few weeks ago to be moved in to a higher restriction zone, but this makes it sound like they could have just done it themselves. There is probably an issue of 'legitimacy', where unelected officials don't feel like they have the authority/ aren't seen to have the authority by others to make these sorts of decisions in contravention of decisions made by elected officials. But maybe they should be doing that, and its an indictment of them that they aren't.

The issue is they don't want to look like the bad guy. It's not even just about unelected vs. elected, Mayors have been huge pussies when it comes to doing lockdowns even though they have the power. Tory said very early on that the health units have a broad range of emergency powers that could do almost any lockdown measure that the province would consider, but that he didn't think it was necessary because the province was doing a good job. He then spent the next 13 months asking the province to pretty please do a better job managing the pandemic.

edit: found the article: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-may-think.html

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not trying to make a point. Just wondering how much unelected health officials are driven by the motivation to open er up vs cowed by the elected officials to fall in line. Probably we won't know until their are some autopsies and what went wrong sort of reports

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
mayors and city councils are essentially useless when it comes to restrictions, anything they do would be instantly overridden by provincial assemblies

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

mayors and city councils are essentially useless when it comes to restrictions, anything they do would be instantly overridden by provincial assemblies

not necessarily, london for example put in a mask mandate early on

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Starks posted:

The issue is they don't want to look like the bad guy. It's not even just about unelected vs. elected, Mayors have been huge pussies when it comes to doing lockdowns even though they have the power. Tory said very early on that the health units have a broad range of emergency powers that could do almost any lockdown measure that the province would consider, but that he didn't think it was necessary because the province was doing a good job. He then spent the next 13 months asking the province to pretty please do a better job managing the pandemic.

edit: found the article: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-may-think.html

The other big issue with going out and making a stand is that someone with greater authority who makes decisions on whim goes and overrides you two hours later or perhaps the very next day. That is highly damaging to everybody except that exceedingly rare person who maybe goes and runs against them for their job in the next election and wins.

I'm not sure how many states in the US have gone and passed "Hey, PS, cities, screw you and any restrictions you might try to pass" orders/laws but I think it's more than just a couple at this point.

(That kind of overrule is by no means automatic, depends on the situation on the ground and electorally.)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

the province didn’t override Toronto’s mask mandate, and I was thinking more of Tory’s power in the sense that the PHU and Devilla take their orders from him. we also saw this last week when they finally shut down schools.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The province hasn't raised a fuss about anything individual cities do, since they're perfectly happy for the restrictions to exist so long as they aren't the ones that the public can blame for them. Ford and Lecce spent weeks talking about nothing other than how safe schools were, but didn't say a thing when local boards decided to close.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Chuds can stroll right out of the quarantine hotel anytime if they just pay the fee.

Negligently spreading a life threatening illness would seem to be manslaughter to me but what do I know.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
feeling patriotic rn, might delete later

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
wtf

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
oh hell yea, the olympics are dumb as hell so you might as well look like clowns from a circus

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I demand our Canadian team march in looking like Rowsdower.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
can someone explain the paris and 1964 references

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

1964 was the year we got the new flag.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

RBC posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_Ontario

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

is it made by hbc or is their logo on the shoulder patch supposed to be another piece of canadiana

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i think thats supposed to be a reminder that were genocidal colonists

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

i think thats supposed to be a reminder that were genocidal colonists

how could you forget? it's a part of our heritage

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

infernal machines posted:

how could you forget? it's a part of our heritage

James Naismith, you're #cancelled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
is that a band album cover? nobody's looking at the camera

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kansas u '99 b-ball team

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Reality Protester posted:

Not going all-in on the full Canadian Tuxedo with matching blue jeans is a cowardly half-measure and I for one will not stand for it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Entropic posted:

Not going all-in on the full Canadian Tuxedo with matching blue jeans is a cowardly half-measure and I for one will not stand for it.

otoh if those are white denim, i think it counts

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

oh hell yea, the olympics are dumb as hell so you might as well look like clowns from a circus

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mediaphage posted:

our (treated) water comes from huron and it's great

I grew up on Lake Michigan water and don't (yet) have cancer. That will probably come from the PBB laced milk or PCBs they sprayed around for like weed control or some poo poo IDK I'm no chemist.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Does it count as UK avoiding the third wave if the variant (B117) that comprises our third wave originated there and already worked its way through the population starting in December with 1K deaths per day?

Grounds for removing the old lady from our money

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Entropic posted:

cowardly half-measure

Have you seen our collective COVID response?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Fucker on the lower left looks like a cool guy

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

infernal machines posted:

otoh if those are white denim, i think it counts

nah man it's supposed to be the same shade. why did I post this

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I feel like everyone's sleeping on the maple leaf tee shirt that looks like a mashup with the Batman (1989) movie logo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

batman 1989 was insanely good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I feel like everyone's sleeping on the maple leaf tee shirt that looks like a mashup with the Batman (1989) movie logo

i feel like that's trying to evoke the OVO look without paying any costly licensing fees

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

batman 1989 was insanely good

It sure loving was

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A guy I know bought like 1000 dollars worth of tokyo 2020 shirts last summer thinking they would become kind of novelty collectors' item after the olympics were postponed. Turns out they are still calling it Tokyo 2020 so that they can use all the same merchandise.

Starks has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Apr 15, 2021

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1382464373390766083

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

RBC posted:

It was the last year Tokyo hosted the Olympics

1964 was the year we got the new flag.

:eng101: 65

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Starks posted:

is it made by hbc or is their logo on the shoulder patch supposed to be another piece of canadiana
until you said this I thought it was a Jamaican reference, that makes a lot more sense

Bilirubin posted:

I grew up on Lake Michigan water and don't (yet) have cancer. That will probably come from the PBB laced milk or PCBs they sprayed around for like weed control or some poo poo IDK I'm no chemist.

It's not the treated water that kills you, it's the ancient piping leaching lead and other fun poo poo between the water plant and your tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Isizzlehorn posted:

until you said this I thought it was a Jamaican reference, that makes a lot more sense

It's not the treated water that kills you, it's the ancient piping leaching lead and other fun poo poo between the water plant and your tap.

that is unlikely to happen without a switch to a more acidic water source which won’t happen because lakes. of course lake acidification is also a concern but not for this so much as for you know life.

in re olympics it’s my understanding they were indeed made in partnership with hbc