Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Had a dream last night that I was helping to put together a live-stage Dune Musical, but it had the cast of Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan.
Unusual to have such vivid scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Had a dream last night that I was helping to put together a live-stage Dune Musical, but it had the cast of Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan.
Unusual to have such vivid scenes.

who did Ricardo play?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

uber_stoat posted:

who did Ricardo play?

Plastic chest in one = heart-plug in the other?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Since there's talk of David Lynch's Dune, I just want to point people to Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux, which is a fan-edit made by a person named spicediver.
It's their third and final attempt at making it the best movie that it can be, by taking as much of the source material from the theatrical, home-video and directors cut editions, and making it into a Dune movie, and not a David Lynch movie.

how do i download this i'm old

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

uber_stoat posted:

who did Ricardo play?

Didn't get that far. In your heart, who do you feel he should be?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kiimo posted:

how do i download this i'm old
Well, it's on a certain bay of pirates and similar sites, but if you don't care about the quality, you can find plenty of examples on YouTube.

Or you can PM me and I can hook you up.
First sample is free.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Inverted Icon posted:

I know the thread moved on, but that the society didn't change much between the reign of Leto II and the beginning of heretics is part of the point. How much has the basic societal structure Really changed between now and ancient Ur? How much Will it change between now and a martian colony? Not very much I'd say, initially. That's why the scattered are so threatening to the old empire. They're represent the new and unprecedented. How can other memory help with what is not in its memory?

It still sits weirdly with me. The basic societal structure between now and ancient Ur is.... entirely different. Imagine if the Catholic Church that we think of from the middle ages persisted more or less unchanged into the year 2700. It's inconceivable. That said, some of what Heretics seemed to be getting at was that in response to Leto II, the BG and the BT, through the use of gholas and ancestral memories, kind of made themselves into hives organisms not unlike Leto himself. So in some sense it would make sense that the motives and aims and goals of the BG and BT could be so unchanging over the millennia, but I just find it peculiar that Heretics contains all of the same entities, no more no less, and with a few political adjustments they all have mostly maintained their role in the galaxy. Like, just think about how different American is since say, financialization in the 70s, the internet, the tech boom, etc. That's just 50 years. It just strains credulity for me to imagine that any society, even one intent on stasis, could actually evolve so little in that timeframe.

I haven't read Chapterhouse but I assume it's more of the same as far as the spacing guild, IX, etc.

edit: I guess CHOAM and the Landsraad ceased to exist by the beginning of Leto II, but what else changes after that? The Fish Speakers seem only relevant during his reign.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Imo the emperor and his retinue had tons of water imported to Arrakis with them since they were too good to wear still-suits.

Some Fremen thopter or lasgun took one of these container ships out in the air, and Paul used the moment to appear Messianic.

I assure you, I've read this all in Frank's notes. No further questions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's a simple example of selective pressures: Those who didn't get scattered after the four-thousand-or-so-years of enforced stagnation will likely continue to stagnate even more.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

YoursTruly posted:

Imo the emperor and his retinue had tons of water imported to Arrakis with them since they were too good to wear still-suits.

Some Fremen thopter or lasgun took one of these container ships out in the air, and Paul used the moment to appear Messianic.

I assure you, I've read this all in Frank's notes. No further questions.

I assumed, from what the planetologist guy (Liet Kynes) said, that Arrakis had all the water of any normal planet, it was just tied up in the sandplankton/sandtrout/worm biosphere.

It was always implied that the water exists, they just have to fix it into plants instead of sandtrout. But plants need a moist atmosphere to exist and all that, which kills off worms. Hence no worms in God Emperor.

Then Chapterhouse and suddenly Arrakis is Dune again. Where's all this mythical comet water? Hmm?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ventral EggSac posted:

We had a fun week or so where it was solid dune yo mama jokes

i'm not sure it peaked higher than "shadout in the streets, sandtrout in the sheets" bc goddam shaddam

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IronClaymore posted:

I assumed, from what the planetologist guy (Liet Kynes) said, that Arrakis had all the water of any normal planet, it was just tied up in the sandplankton/sandtrout/worm biosphere.

It was always implied that the water exists, they just have to fix it into plants instead of sandtrout. But plants need a moist atmosphere to exist and all that, which kills off worms. Hence no worms in God Emperor.

Then Chapterhouse and suddenly Arrakis is Dune again. Where's all this mythical comet water? Hmm?

In Chapterhouse Arrakis is a cinder. It gets glassed in Heretics, the BG are turning their home planet of Chapterhouse into Dune in Chapterhouse Dune.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

IronClaymore posted:

The sand trout that got released from Leto at the end of God Emperor have re-destertificated Arrakis in the intervening X,000 years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Always catch and release small sandtrout

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

... looking forward to seeing this in october while sitting next to a coughing, sweaty, thousand pound man. anything rad happen itt in the last 5 months?

He gained 15 pounds.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
help me moneo I'm trying to desert-form the planet but I'm wormy thicc and the clap of my segments keeps allerting the duncans

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Bubblyblubber posted:

help me moneo I'm trying to desert-form the planet but I'm wormy thicc and the clap of my segments keeps allerting the duncans

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lincoln posted:

He gained 15 pounds.

me too :(

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Highlander II: The Renegade Cut is the unofficial sidequel to Dune

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm watching what I assume is the original version of Highlander 2 right now and man I wish it was pulling me in more because on paper it should whip

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Well, I'm a Dune nerd now I guess. Tore through the first one and maybe 1/3 left of Messiah and enjoying it.

Are the Bene Gesserit the sex witches and I missed that or is that later or something else?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm about 2/3 thru Children of Dune and the witches haven't gotten too sexy :shrug:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the sex witches show up in the final two books.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

Are the Bene Gesserit the sex witches and I missed that or is that later or something else?

They're kind of sex witches; their main thing is the breeding program but I think there's some pussy mind control going on with their involvement in the Great Houses. The real sex witches show up in Heretics, I think - the Honored Matres. I don't recall there really being much sex stuff at all until that gross scene in Children where Leto and Ghanima are at the spice orgy and IIRC even some Fremen remark that it's weird because they're supposed to be like 15 years old at that point.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They are 9 years old, op.

But it's ok, they have old souls.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

They're kind of sex witches; their main thing is the breeding program but I think there's some pussy mind control going on with their involvement in the Great Houses. The real sex witches show up in Heretics, I think - the Honored Matres. I don't recall there really being much sex stuff at all until that gross scene in Children where Leto and Ghanima are at the spice orgy and IIRC even some Fremen remark that it's weird because they're supposed to be like 15 years old at that point.

You’re also forgetting in Children how their was a plan for them to interbreed

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
By the sisterhood, yeah, and even then there was a huge squick factor, they were afraid of losing the genes.

Alia/Baron was in favour because he knew it would destroy the Atreides.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

quote:

what i got you got to see it as your mama
what i got you got to see it as your papa
what i got you got to see it as your grandpa
do a little dance then transmute a little water

bi-lal kai
bi-lal kai
bi-lal kaifa

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

It still sits weirdly with me. The basic societal structure between now and ancient Ur is.... entirely different. Imagine if the Catholic Church that we think of from the middle ages persisted more or less unchanged into the year 2700. It's inconceivable. That said, some of what Heretics seemed to be getting at was that in response to Leto II, the BG and the BT, through the use of gholas and ancestral memories, kind of made themselves into hives organisms not unlike Leto himself. So in some sense it would make sense that the motives and aims and goals of the BG and BT could be so unchanging over the millennia, but I just find it peculiar that Heretics contains all of the same entities, no more no less, and with a few political adjustments they all have mostly maintained their role in the galaxy. Like, just think about how different American is since say, financialization in the 70s, the internet, the tech boom, etc. That's just 50 years. It just strains credulity for me to imagine that any society, even one intent on stasis, could actually evolve so little in that timeframe.

I had always taken it as based on ancient Egypt, where that did basically happen. Thats what stagnation means. Bear in mind also that the survival of the institution and name doesn't mean its identical in function now to how it was in the past and I don't think the books give us enough detail to evaluate changes there. There has been a King of England for a thousand years, a Pope and an Emperor of Japan for twice that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

under the sietch sand ground
is where i hid my spice

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just got to the part of Heretics where Duncan becomes a super saiyan, but at loving and I don't know if this book is terrible or if it rules.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmegin posted:

I had always taken it as based on ancient Egypt, where that did basically happen. Thats what stagnation means. Bear in mind also that the survival of the institution and name doesn't mean its identical in function now to how it was in the past and I don't think the books give us enough detail to evaluate changes there. There has been a King of England for a thousand years, a Pope and an Emperor of Japan for twice that.

But I think the books do give us enough detail to evaluate whether there are any changes, because Herbert is foregrounding the same activities in Heretics that he does in Dune, implying that, for instance, the BG are still seeking a Kwisatz Haderach after approx. 5000 years since Dune 1. There's no discernable difference between the BG of Heretics and the BG of Dune, except that there's now a Mother Superior, though I'm unsure if that is something that changed or was something that Herbert was silent on in the first books. Same with the Bene Tleilax. In the case of the BG and the BT it does make sense given that there's a continuous consciousness that's keeping them on task over the course of centuries, but the rest of the world is unchanged too. And it just strikes me as odd that the monoculture of the BT, which is known in the era of Messiah primarily as the manufacturers of gholas, are still somehow making that same technology in Heretics. Granted, they're making synthetic spice as well at this point, but that's not terribly impressive after 5000 years. It'd be like if 1500 years from now there was a company named Apple that was still mostly known for making cellular phones.

Now obviously Leto IIs project was all about forced stagnation, but 1500 years have passed since then. Even if Herbert's supposition is that the dictates of the Butlerian Jihad would dramatically constrict technological progress, it strains credulity to imagine that all of the same players are still on the game board, serving the same roles. In your own example, you would admit that the King of England from 1200 has little or nothing to do with QE2, but that even more importantly, the context around that role has changed so dramatically that a King of England circa 1200 and QE2 are similarly in only the most superficial ways. Even the political and religious reforms in the time of Henry VIII represent more change, in the span of a single monarch, than we tend to see in these latter Dune books. In 1500 years there isn't a single entity within the Old Imperium that can lay claim to as much power and influence as those legacy bodies of the BG, BT, Ix, Spacing Guild?

I'm not saying it's unrealistic, obviously this is just a fantasy, but where the early books seemed so believable, I found myself feeling a bit irritated that Heretics bore so much resemblance to its predecessors. Why even set it 1500 years after Leto II's reign if so little has changed in that time? It isn't even a plot contrivance to allow Arrakis to undergo desertification, because Messiah/CoD/GeoD suggest that these processes can happen extremely rapidly, in a few generations, rather than a millennia and a half.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Twitch posted:

I just got to the part of Heretics where Duncan becomes a super saiyan, but at loving and I don't know if this book is terrible or if it rules.

Terrible with terrible purpose

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Twitch posted:

I don't know if this book is terrible or if it rules.

Both honestly

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair to the new movie, good or bad, and there's probably 0 chance they'll get to Heretics, this is another crazy scene where Jason Momoa was a good choice as Duncan.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's a probably 0 chance they finish the first book

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ingmar terdman posted:

There's a probably 0 chance they finish the first book

I wish it were otherwise but hey, at least it keeps that scumbag Brian Herbert from cashing in more than he has. And it limits the destructive influence of KJA, who I'm convinced would, if fed well enough, turn into another Joss Whedon. Murder Hollywood, save Dune.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

Dear Dune Goons, I am not going to read the entire thread, but I want to read Dune. I know at some point the series goes from good to terrible, where am I supposed to stop.

I've already read like the first 9 pages, I hope I haven't gone too far yet.

Read to god-emperor of Dune, but if you can't stop there do yourself a favor and go no further than Chapterhouse of Dune at the absolute furthest. It does not get better.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i read to chapterhouse dune and now im back in lockdown and i want to witness ULTRASPICE finally, which one of the failson books is that?

e: loving hell i thought they only wrote two or three, there's like twelve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i read to chapterhouse dune and now im back in lockdown and i want to witness ULTRASPICE finally, which one of the failson books is that?

e: loving hell i thought they only wrote two or three, there's like twelve

I’ve had COVID and read one of the failson books, I recommend you get COVID as a far more pleasant and less neurologically damaging option