Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The only real issue I've had with 3 is that Kiryu's model is a bit of a step back from what I've been used to from 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2. The remaster is really good, the gameplay feels like a very basic but perfectly functional version of what I'm used to from the previous games, and most importantly the mix of over-the-top humor and equally over-the-top seriousness are all there. Plus hanging out in Okinawa and looking after the kids at the orphanage is actually fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The technical limitations make getting around Okinawa a little rough, but I liked the look and feel of it and would love to traipse around a modern gen version of it, preferably with less emphasis on battling street toughs and more helping the villagers with their island woes

Judgement 2: Yagami's Island Vacation when, do it Sega you cowards

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I finally finished 6. Gotta be the biggest gap I'll ever have between "buy hotly-anticipated game at launch" and "complete hotly-anticipated game"

Y6: The ending is extremely bittersweet, but drat I loved the parallel between Haruto and Kiryu's steps.

I will never get over this series' ability to take me from "who the gently caress are these goobers, I don't want to spend time with these very dumb men" to "I love these Hiroshima dummies with all my heart" in a relatively short period of time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

I finally finished 6. Gotta be the biggest gap I'll ever have between "buy hotly-anticipated game at launch" and "complete hotly-anticipated game"

Y6: The ending is extremely bittersweet, but drat I loved the parallel between Haruto and Kiryu's steps.

I will never get over this series' ability to take me from "who the gently caress are these goobers, I don't want to spend time with these very dumb men" to "I love these Hiroshima dummies with all my heart" in a relatively short period of time

:same:

I understand that Kiryu's story is finished but I would also play a continuation of it in which he roams from town to town, schooling small time goober gangs in the honorable ways of the old school yakuza or whatever it is Kiryu believes in, I never actually quite fully internalized that part of his ideology because yakuza all seem like scumbags to me but it seemed like a big deal to him

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's pretty much what he does in Like A Dragon

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ALFbrot posted:

yessssss. its like every game they do it and it owns.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Jerusalem posted:

hanging out in Okinawa and looking after the kids at the orphanage is actually fun!

For me the reason Yakuza 3 works at all is that so much of the early game is spent at Dragon Day Care, teaching the kids to be empathetic and compassionate, so that when you get these scenes of Kanda throwing actual temper tantrums in the Tojo HQ board room, or the final boss who looked up to Daigo Dojima, Sixth Chairman, the guy who fought two other legendary yakuza in as many chapters and survived, but treats him with contempt for having the audacity to get shot and go into a coma.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
No, Ono Michio! You're supposed to be an icon for the children!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ALFbrot posted:

How did you like the secret of Onomichi?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, LaD plot took another swerve.

I'm curious, i don't want to start grinding to level up my characters until i have a full roster, when does this happen? I'm at the start of Chapter 9.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, LaD plot took another swerve.

I'm curious, i don't want to start grinding to level up my characters until i have a full roster, when does this happen? I'm at the start of Chapter 9.

The full roster is seven people, and one of them is technically optional. You get the last non-optional one in chapter 11.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ainsley McTree posted:

:same:

I understand that Kiryu's story is finished but I would also play a continuation of it in which he roams from town to town, schooling small time goober gangs in the honorable ways of the old school yakuza or whatever it is Kiryu believes in, I never actually quite fully internalized that part of his ideology because yakuza all seem like scumbags to me but it seemed like a big deal to him

It's not so much about the honorable ways of old school yakuza and more of a personal set of beliefs and convictions burned into him by Shintaro Kazama. Kiryu idolized that man and sought to emulate the great person he saw him as, but in reality Kazama was a man of many failings and the idealized version of Yakuza that Kiryu believes in doesn't exist. Shintaro even says something to the affect in one of the games that Kiryu "is no yakuza" and he's absolutely right. As a person Kiryu is something greater than what the yakuza are, but in his mind he believes all yakuza should strive to uphold that level of excellence yet the core nature of organized crime is opposed to that.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've been playing 0 and 1 on PS4...how well are the KBM controls on PC? Don't have an issue sticking with PS4 but obviously have a lot more power in the PC.

E: I could get a bluetooth adapter but meh

DanielCross posted:

This image displays on startup on all the PC ports, so take that as you will.

Solves that one, thanks!

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 14, 2021

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

This image displays on startup on all the PC ports, so take that as you will.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

I've been playing 0 and 1 on PS4...how well are the KBM controls on PC? Don't have an issue sticking with PS4 but obviously have a lot more power in the PC.

E: I could get a bluetooth adapter but meh

Solves that one, thanks!

You should just be able to pop your dual shock controller into your PC's USB port and use that. That's what I've been doing, but I started so long ago I can't remember if I had to do anything special to set it up.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

goblin week posted:

How did you like the secret of Onomichi?

I actually really liked it!

It's repeatedly brought up that shipbuilding is Onomichi's very lifeblood, and I like the fakeout that you expect the Secret to be some kind of powerful weapon, but when it's revealed, it hadn't been kept secret to be deployed at the right time, but because what was once going to be the absolute jewel and pride of a nation is now an enormous, shameful millstone to a culture that has moved on.

I've had some (extremely limited) experience with the Japanese defense industry, and I know there's a lot of pride in the idea that they no longer make or export weapons of war, merely weapons of defense (regardless of the actual truth to that idea). So the sudden reveal of a massive battle platform, stacked to the tits with massive guns, would be a massive national shock and embarrassment, without even mentioning the decades of insane corruption and crime that went into its production and subsequent concealment.

I will say, though, that it's pretty wild that they somehow rigged this incredibly important, don't-ever-reveal secret up in a manner that allowed one dude to just launch the motherfucker with one pull of a lever. Break the lever off or something! Fill the room with concrete, gently caress!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ainsley McTree posted:

You should just be able to pop your dual shock controller into your PC's USB port and use that. That's what I've been doing, but I started so long ago I can't remember if I had to do anything special to set it up.

Steam has a setting where you can check a box for DS4 support, then you plug in the controller and it Just Works. A lot of games will probably still show XBox prompts though, especially older games that were lazy direct console ports.

vV Yep, the Yakuza games show the PS4 prompts, probably because they were originally PS4 games!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 15, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Steam has a setting where you can check a box for DS4 support, then you plug in the controller and it Just Works. A lot of games will probably still show XBox prompts though, especially older games that were lazy direct console ports.

Yeah that's super frustrating, because xbox and ps4 controllers both have an X button, but it is not in the same place!

I'm....pretty sure all the yakuza games have PS prompts? I feel like an insane person for not remembering, considering I just spent 4 months of my life playing the entire series back to back. I'm like 99% sure it does

ALFbrot posted:

I actually really liked it!

It's repeatedly brought up that shipbuilding is Onomichi's very lifeblood, and I like the fakeout that you expect the Secret to be some kind of powerful weapon, but when it's revealed, it hadn't been kept secret to be deployed at the right time, but because what was once going to be the absolute jewel and pride of a nation is now an enormous, shameful millstone to a culture that has moved on.

I've had some (extremely limited) experience with the Japanese defense industry, and I know there's a lot of pride in the idea that they no longer make or export weapons of war, merely weapons of defense (regardless of the actual truth to that idea). So the sudden reveal of a massive battle platform, stacked to the tits with massive guns, would be a massive national shock and embarrassment, without even mentioning the decades of insane corruption and crime that went into its production and subsequent concealment.

I will say, though, that it's pretty wild that they somehow rigged this incredibly important, don't-ever-reveal secret up in a manner that allowed one dude to just launch the motherfucker with one pull of a lever. Break the lever off or something! Fill the room with concrete, gently caress!

it looked like it was in great shape, too, they must have had crews performing regular cleaning and maintenance

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So what was with LAD being a standard JRPG, gameplay wise? That shift was quite a turnoff.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Hmm I guess with a new protagonist they were trying something a bit different, a small part of me misses the old brawler style. I love myself a good JRPG but I guess I prefer characters to have more defined roles as opposed to a jobs system to grind out overall.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
They teased it as an April Fool’s joke and it was so well received that they went for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noioqCv92hM

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

So what was with LAD being a standard JRPG, gameplay wise? That shift was quite a turnoff.

They’re getting tired of making serviceable brawlers with RPG elements after making thirteen of them, OP

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

It owns extremely hard

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus, I thought I was prepared for my first shareholder meeting but got crushed due to time pressure (and my kid yelling in my ear).

Once I select a shareholder and an employee I need to hit triangle right? Mash it til empty or what?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

LaD was good but I hope they hit their stride in terms of storyline. I found mid to late game boring, and stopped caring about the characters halfway through. Adachi is cool, but not as much as Date, and I had hoped for much more from Nanba.

I still liked the game and really got into the turn based stuff as well. I’ll buy a sequel for sure.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I finished LAD last night. Good ending, up with the best.

Enjoyed the turn based a lot more than I thought I would, but did end up spamming a lot of the same moves. I think more variance in what the enemy was weak to or could block would have made it a little more engaging, as it was 'ok it's the big dudes these 2 guys should spam their 1,000 damage blade moves' etc started to get old. Maybe there was an extra layer of strategy, but if so it was too well hidden for me to engage with it.
The level gating had some cracks - i think if an enemy is under your level they can barely damage you at all, but if they're over your level their attacks are full power. I didn't find attack power jumped much with the characters level crossing thresholds. It made for some odd moments - I was level 61 in the final fight (where he's level 60) and was barely taking a scratch, and I hadn't intended to grind. The game was either piss easy where I could play with my eyes closed or genuinely super difficult and drawn out. Not much in-between unfortunately. It seems like the intended difficulty is about 5 levels below any given boss, but you've got no way of knowing what that should be.
I found the older games had a much better difficulty balance.

Story wise I'd say it's top 3, but after I completed it I did have a skim through the cutscenes section to remind myself what had happened in the early game. Took a long time to build up stream.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 15, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

mastershakeman posted:

Jesus, I thought I was prepared for my first shareholder meeting but got crushed due to time pressure (and my kid yelling in my ear).

Once I select a shareholder and an employee I need to hit triangle right? Mash it til empty or what?

It's a two-step process.

1. Select a shareholder and a screen will pop up that shows their "shields" and their colour. When you then move your cursor over one of your employees who is the right colour to counter the shareholder's colour, it should pop up a little "weak!" marker - that's how you know who to use. Hit the shareholder once with an employee they're weak to and all their shields will be removed.

2. Once the shareholder's shields have been removed, you should then see a "counter chance" marker on the left of the screen that tells you what colour employee to hit them with to do extra damage. Note that this can be different to the employee colour from step 1. Hit them over and over with the right-coloured employee until they're defeated.

Using the "promote" and "train" options from the employee screen is very useful for the employees you intend to bring to the shareholder meetings - don't rely on low-level employees or natural levelling-up to do it.

There's a guide with pictures here in case that's unclear.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
I played Like a Dragon and fell in love with Ichiban and his crew, so afterwards I was curious enough to try out Yakuza 0. Just beat the first boss. The brawling is fun, but Kiryu feels like a pretty big step down in terms of personality. He's serious, unexpressive, and just sort of boring. I know I'm only a couple chapters into the game - in other words, a few hours into a saga spanning hundreds of hours - so he has a long time to grow on you, but so far I have no idea why all the fans love this guy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Majima sort of steals the game away from him in terms of pathos.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MonstrousMouse posted:

I played Like a Dragon and fell in love with Ichiban and his crew, so afterwards I was curious enough to try out Yakuza 0. Just beat the first boss. The brawling is fun, but Kiryu feels like a pretty big step down in terms of personality. He's serious, unexpressive, and just sort of boring. I know I'm only a couple chapters into the game - in other words, a few hours into a saga spanning hundreds of hours - so he has a long time to grow on you, but so far I have no idea why all the fans love this guy.

You are only seeing half of who and what Kiryu is in the main story. Kiryu IS a super dedicated, relentless, criminal with a heart of gold who solves problems by punching them into submission. But he is also a goofball who gets WAY too invested in racing slot cars, or baseball and especially Karaoke. Kiryu is very outwardly stoic, but inside he is just this huge ball of fluffy emotion, as represented by his iconic gray suit covering a red shirt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They have very different energies for sure. I think my initial impression of him when I started the series with 0 was "I can't wait to get back to Majima" but he definitely grew on me throughout the series.

He's kind of like a lawful good paladin, in that he's this unbending stoic warrior who wades through the corrupt viper's nest that is the yakuza, converting people to his cause by benevolently punching them into seeing the light. The substories also get a lot of mileage out of his personality because he's completely out of his depth when dealing with nuanced social interactions and is kind of a loveable dumbass in those lower-stakes dramas.

By the end of Kiwami 1, he attains a kind of legendary status that puts everyone in awe, and I think he gets more interesting after that, because the game very much recognizes this status and everyone reacts to it accordingly. Also by that point, it becomes the story of a man who just wants to turn his back on yakuza bullshit and spend time with his orphans, but the gravitational pull of his legend keeps dragging him back in.

He's a bit one-note, but they play the note well and consistently and I think it works, but it does take a while before you start to care, I think. It's also fun to see how they make him increasingly invincible in cutscenes, to the point where he's just straight up blocking punches with his face and not flinching, which is a fun contrast to LAD, where no one member of Ichiban's crew could ever go toe-to-toe with him or any of the yakuza protagonists, but their bonds of friendship give them an edge.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MonstrousMouse posted:

Keep playing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MonstrousMouse posted:

keep playing. he had me at "dropkicked a dude out of a window" but yeah keep playing

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MonstrousMouse posted:

Ichiban and Kiryu are similar in a lot of ways, but they do bring different energies. I'm going to quote myself from a while back when we were talking about something similar before;

SiKboy posted:

Oh god no. Kiryu and Ichiban are both Gods Perfect Idiots. But Kiryu is the straightman, Ichiban the goofy one. Still a comic dynamic, but a different one. Kiryu is basically just trying to get through his day, and solve his yakuza adjacent problems, but goofy poo poo keeps getting in his way and hes too good a dude to say "I dont have time for your crazy bullshit right now".

I still stand by that statement. They're both great, but no, Kiryu is not Ichiban, never will be. Hes much more stoic and focused, and generally less expressive. But that doesnt mean hes boring either. He's a genuinely good dude whose upbringing and personality leave him entirely unprepared for pretty much any human interaction outside the sphere of "doing a yakuza", but he's willing to try and help anyone, any time, and is basically incapable of giving any activity less than 150% intensity. Literally physically incapable of half-assing anything, regardless of importance, indignity or aptitude. And hes not devoid of a sense of humor either, its just extremely dry at times. A wry chuckle where ichiban was leg slapping laughter.

Do some side stuff with him, you'll see what I mean. The first boss you've not had a chance to see the substory side of kiryu, only the main quest side of him, and much like ichiban you see a different side of him when hes helping passers by with their random-rear end bullshit than when hes dealing with serious crime drama. I'd say his general dynamic is "the last sane man", the sensible, dignified man thrown into a goofy, undignified situation and trying to get through it as best he can.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ALFbrot posted:

This part got actual, real drat tears out of me

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MonstrousMouse posted:

Yeah, Kiryu is really awkwardly shoehorned into the game.

He saves Watase, a man who needs no saving, from a random knife-wielder.

He stops Ichiban from punching a man to death in a really out-of-character-for-Ichiban scene.

He says some platitudes to Ichiban. "Think of what your enemy doesn't want you to do and then do that" - oh wow, thank you oh Zen master.

Add to this that his English voice actor is so painfully outclassed by everyone in Ichiban's crew and the game would've been better had he not showed up at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MonstrousMouse posted:

It’s because he’s basically never not serious and stoic, which extends from the epic crime drama to the upteen substories. Tbh I actually found myself missing Kiryu most of the time a substory came up because his stoic perpetual brick face works much better than the batshit substories than Ichiban’s normal rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

this karaoke track is only available in new game+, which is a shame because it's basically the perfect coda to the entire kiryu saga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiArX5fa8MM

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
In Kiwami Kiryu getting really embarrassed and flustered when you try to get the totally not a porno it's just two guys fighting nude in a bathhouse video is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

this karaoke track is only available in new game+, which is a shame because it's basically the perfect coda to the entire kiryu saga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiArX5fa8MM

I went digging in the comments for english lyrics so the rest of you don't have to

English:
Late night, 2am, a regular loop
Whatever you’re dreaming
An unconscious squeeze from the small love at my fingertip
How far can we see? How long can we go on?
The calendar relentlessly advances
Zero-grip hands are weak, they can’t hold on
They surely won’t notice
Let go of this hand, come out from behind my back
I will protect those I love

Once a crybaby, once a coward
now standing shakily on your own two feet
When is it coming? Goodbye is coming
There’s no next day on the calendar
In this ugly world stained with lies
an evil wind is blowing
But face it head-on