Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Can Jules Rivera take over Luann? I think that'd be pretty good.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 21st, 1940

Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

who the gently caress would ever turn down snickerdoodles

what is wrong with you jeremny
No one. Ever. :colbert:
:rimshot:

I just felt it needed that.

F Minus

Fair.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

It's not quite cannibalism, but it's a little disturbing somehow to me anyways.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I didn't really pay attention to Rex Morgan MD until that imagination arc started but ffs it is just so tedious and slow that I can practically feel myself aging while reading it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Call me when there is more Bimbo Karate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bimbo Karate

Pro-tier username idea

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Eric really into Fester-core.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 11/16-18/42

There was no Sunday Deathless Deer, so we pick up the action, such as it is, next Monday:

Professor Hoot and His Faithful Man Frappy would be a great title for an edutainment show.

Also, please note the last strip, where Frappy apparently faints away dead in the middle panel and then recovers immediately for the last panel.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 14, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Get hosed, boomer. Women are allowed to have body hair.

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 11/16-18/42

There was no Sunday Deathless Deer, so we pick up the action, such as it is, next Monday:

Professor Hoot and His Faithful Man Frappy would be a great title for an edutainment show.

Also, please note the last strip, where Frappy apparently faints away dead in the middle panel and then recovers immediately for the last panel.
We're only three posts in and I'm 100% invested in Deathless Deer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody must know I have this sexy undead lady, also we need to get her back to a hotel room before she fully regains consciousness.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Good Listener posted:

Eric really into Fester-core.

A lot of Ballard Street has a low-key Adam's vibe.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Trans kangaroo pride.

Male kangaroos don't have pouches.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Cobalt-60 posted:

Hal Foster draws the best faces.

Do we ever meet any knights of the Round Table besides Gawain? Tristran showed up just long enough to get stabbed, and I think Kay was mentioned, but I don't recall any others. Of course, Val spends most of his time away from Camelot.

Tristram certainly has been the second most important so far. Aside from the quick treatment of his and Isolde's story, Val jousted with him early on. As far as other knights of the Round Table, the strip on May 8, 1937 gave us a quick look at Lancelot:

And this strip from January 8, 1938 briefly introduced Bedivere, Kay, Mordred, and Ector (plus Ulfius and Brastias, who I am not sure are from older Arthurian stories or not):

I'm not sure if others play any significant part, but over decades of strips I wouldn't be surprised if there's a storyline with Lancelot or someone along the way. None of the canonical knights play as big a part as Gawain though, for sure.

I expect that Foster didn't want to lean on the famous Arthurian characters too much to prevent them taking focus away from Val.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 15, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wallace, no, please don't spread the idea that it's okay to ride in the back of a truck without seatbelts. This no joke made my opinion of this comic go down quite a bit. I can accept it when Wallace is doing something stupid and crazy because he's a kid, but his dad is letting him do this and his mom is joining in on it when it's extremely dangerous.
I did it when I was a kid, ergo, it's perfectly fine. :colbert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I forgot about the stamps!

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft commiserates over the end of that plague that nobody actually went through in "Crankshaft".

To add to the many layers of incoherence in the Funkyverse, Funky Winkerbean is supposed to be roughly in the present and Crankshaft about 10 years previously. Which means Crankshaft and his "friends" are commiserating about an event which won't happen for 10 years yet.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Tristram certainly has been the second most important so far. Aside from the quick treatment of his and Isolde's story, Val jousted with him early on. As far as other knights of the Round Table, the strip on May 8, 1937 gave us a quick look at Lancelot:

And this strip from January 8, 1938 briefly introduced Bedivere, Kay, Mordred, and Ector (plus Ulfius and Brastias, who I am not sure are from older Arthurian stories or not):

I'm not sure if others play any significant part, but over decades of strips I wouldn't be surprised if there's a storyline with Lancelot or someone along the way. None of the canonical knights play as big a part as Gawain though, for sure.

I expect that Foster didn't want to lean on the famous Arthurian characters too much to prevent them taking focus away from Val.

Don't forget that great example of nominative determinism, Sir Bumblekin.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

curtadams posted:

To add to the many layers of incoherence in the Funkyverse, Funky Winkerbean is supposed to be roughly in the present and Crankshaft about 10 years previously. Which means Crankshaft and his "friends" are commiserating about an event which won't happen for 10 years yet.

That's not quite right: Funky Winkerbean jumped 10 years ahead of the contemporarily-set Crankshaft but didn't change anything else, resulting in a situation in which FW is set in the present, and Crankshaft is set 10 years earlier, in the present.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

ukonvasara posted:

That's not quite right: Funky Winkerbean jumped 10 years ahead of the contemporarily-set Crankshaft but didn't change anything else, resulting in a situation in which FW is set in the present, and Crankshaft is set 10 years earlier, in the present.

It all makes perfect sense if you think hard enough abou- :unsmigghh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set thought you were going to say it!

Working Daze is incompetent in more ways than one.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is deep, man.

Cul De Sac did technically performed as expected, no bug found.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

gently caress you, Stuart.
"Fun" fact: later on in the comic's run, Cooper not having healthcare becomes a real loving problem.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (October 20, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 14, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 14, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 30, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 29, 1935)

Mopsy (December 28, 1936)

Dark Laughter (November 6, 1943)

Those Were the oh no (October 9, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 20, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 20, 1965)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Slammy posted:

this garbage strip is consistently one of the funniest things in this thread. it just sucks so much

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hostile V posted:

"Fun" fact: later on in the comic's run, Cooper not having healthcare becomes a real loving problem.

I'm not surprised. I'll never understand the corporate mindset. It'd be so much easier for everyone involved to treat their employees like human beings and ensure that they're healthy and happy, but I guess protecting that almighty bottom line is more important than mere peons like Cooper.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 2, 1952)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Every single cent of company time/money/property that Cooper has stolen is morally justified. Hell, you're probably a bad person if you don't steal from these assholes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Every single cent of company time/money/property that Cooper has stolen is morally justified. Hell, you're probably a bad person if you don't steal from these assholes.

Cooper's the true hero of the strip, more so than even Marla.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slammy posted:

What we're meant to think: Women are becoming too masculine and assertive, our society is eroding, we should never have let them vote, etc.
What the guy in the strip actually thinking: drat that rear end FAT

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 22, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 8-9, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 14, 1933)

Peanuts (April 17, 1974)

Harry Continues To Wave His Dinkle Around

Crankshaft continues to commemorate the year that wasn't in "Crankshaft".

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 13, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 11-13, 1936)

The wheels fell off my wagon again, so that's where we stop for now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not surprised. I'll never understand the corporate mindset. It'd be so much easier for everyone involved to treat their employees like human beings and ensure that they're healthy and happy, but I guess protecting that almighty bottom line is more important than mere peons like Cooper.
:capitalism:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (June 14, 1918)

"Can you believe this poo poo?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Bonus: Beetle Bailey is usually boring but something about this got me.

Locher Tracy

I want everyone to take a good look at that Crimestopper advice. It's just breathtaking.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Riding in the back of trucks was legal at some point on roads under a certain speed limit. Mostly due to field workers. Maine may still have different laws.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (October 2-8, 2000)

I have no idea whether that's a reference and, if it is, to what.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (October 2-8, 2000)

I have no idea whether that's a reference and, if it is, to what.

Lol it’s a family circus “not me” ghost haha

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/14/01

Brenda Starr 4/11-13/46

Smokey Stover 7/21/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus Ad! A product name you don't see on the shelves lately.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hahahaha lady, trust me, I know

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 5, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 5, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 5, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I love this dude pensively musing about whether it was really a good idea to get married to some young girl that he knows absolutely nothing about.