Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

Yeah I mean if they're predictable it's just a cost of doing business, like any other fee or toll, just with a different infrastructure behind it. Why does it matter if it goes to some guy vs some govt you have no say in or control over?

well drat since you put it that way I guess corruption is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is there some kind of moral objection to bribes?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

-trump

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I can never be a politician because I’ve been poor before and you could easily bribe me with a few zeroes on a check.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Things in this world are sold to the highest bidder. I don't see how bribes really deviate from that reality in any substantial way.

Like withholding services that would otherwise be performed pending the delivery of a bribe is bad, but so is simply taking down a complaint and not doing anything about it. I think the context surrounding a bribe have a much more significant moral dimension than the exchange of cash for a service.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 15, 2021

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Things in this world are sold to the highest bidder. I don't see how bribes really deviate from that reality in any substantial way.

Like withholding services that would otherwise be delivered pending the delivery of a bribe is bad, but so is simply taking down a complaint and not doing anything about it. I think the context surrounding a bribe have a much more significant moral dimension than the exchange of cash for a service.

It's that some things shouldn't be sold. For example, if you could bribe your way out of murdering someone, that'd be an objectively worse world than one where you can't. And since it's a lot harder to draw a line around "these things should be bribable and these things shouldn't" a clear bright "bribes are bad" line helps maintain the norm in places where it really matters.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Like withholding services that would otherwise be delivered pending the delivery of a bribe is bad, but so is simply taking down a complaint and not doing anything about it. I think the context surrounding a bribe have a much more significant moral dimension than the exchange of cash for a service.

quoting this so you can't edit it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

boop the snoot posted:

I can never be a politician because I’ve been poor before and you could easily bribe me with a few zeroes on a check.

Yeah but my luck, and maybe yours, I'd end up like one of those guys from the slides about insider threat who sold secrets for like $5,000..

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
To give an example, there’s a port where it’s well known that if you don’t put a $20 in the glove the foreman “drops” in front of you, your ship is going to get loaded very shittily.

You could file a complaint, but by the time it’s received, your ship has already been loaded. By the time it gets investigated, every single ship your company has sent to this port has been delayed by multiple hours (at $lol an hour) and the customer is getting annoyed that your performance is shittier than the competition.

The investigation concludes that lol, what are you even talking about? But anyway by that time the ships have started giving the money anyway, out of the crew’s pocket, because gently caress dealing with that poo poo for $20 anyway.

This port is in the USA. I’ll let you imagine what it’s like overseas.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PookBear posted:

quoting this so you can't edit it

He’s right, if you’re paying someone that is supposed to do something but won’t unless you pay them personally it’s a grease payment and not a “bribe”. Just like a campaign donation isn’t a bribe.

Yes this means whether or not giving some foreign customs officer $100 to get into a country is a US federal crime depends on the exact phrasing in a conversation with them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tips are bribes if you really think about it.

*ducks*

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My favorite is when they just go “is problem with form capitan” and the captain just hands them a bottle so they flip over to the next form which - you guessed it - has problem.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah but my luck, and maybe yours, I'd end up like one of those guys from the slides about insider threat who sold secrets for like $5,000..

Heck no man I’m waiting until I’m a senator to start taking bribes because then laws don’t matter.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

To give an example, there’s a port where it’s well known that if you don’t put a $20 in the glove the foreman “drops” in front of you, your ship is going to get loaded very shittily.

The "easy" fix to these problems is vertical integration with a side of omnipresent surveillance, oligopoly, and union busting. I think a $20 tip in a glove is better than Amazonifying the waterfront any more than it already is.

I definitely remember loading in Fourchon at docks where the workers could be characterized as "exhausted, cringing serfs" at the start of the big downturn.

That Works posted:

*ducks*

Yeah exactly, grease payments are basically an included gratuity.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

He’s right, if you’re paying someone that is supposed to do something but won’t unless you pay them personally it’s a grease payment and not a “bribe”. Just like a campaign donation isn’t a bribe.

Yes this means whether or not giving some foreign customs officer $100 to get into a country is a US federal crime depends on the exact phrasing in a conversation with them.

except we're talking about bribes you loving moron

FrozenVent posted:

fly into Cairo with a duffel bag and fly out empty handed

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

And basically everything we did to get work done in HOA.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

*ducks*

bribes stands for bucks really insure the best employee services

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Guys what if capitalism is a bribe

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gaetz's buddy is skeeeeeeeezy.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1382483237394612225

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1382486566468268040

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been hit with an “entry/exit fee” or some other little bullshit charge coming in and out of places in Africa or the Middle East, always paid in cash directly to the person who was holding my documents at the time. Could I protest it? Sure. Would it be worth it? No, especially when I have four connecting flights to make that day. The only time I would make a stink (after the fact, to my agency’s legal department) is if I got detained and asked to pay a fine for my release because then it’s not just a bribe, it’s effectively robbery.

Now extrapolate that out to global shipping when there’s tons of ships waiting to pass through a canal or enter a port. Bribery and low level corruption is a fact of life- lovely as that may be- for a lot of places in the world, and while I won’t defend it, I certainly understand why it happens.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we went through four years of trump and decrying the constant cronyism and self dealing but now bribes are OK

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PookBear posted:

we went through four years of trump and decrying the constant cronyism and self dealing but now bribes are OK

Think of them as tips given ahead of time. It’s not nearly the same scale, anyway - I’m not going to hold up a shipment of, idk, 20,000 tons of diesel because the custom officer wants a bottle of scotch.

It’s the way of the world outside North America and Western Europe (and even then, sometimes in these places).

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Think of them as tips given ahead of time. It’s not nearly the same scale, anyway - I’m not going to hold up a shipment of, idk, 20,000 tons of diesel because the custom officer wants a bottle of scotch.

It’s the way of the world outside North America and Western Europe (and even then, sometimes in these places).

FrozenVent posted:

Legit shipping companies have a process for facilitation payments.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PookBear posted:

Pookie, go back to good posting and stop being dumb okay?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
No one is arguing that they want the US/Canada/Northern Europe to have more bribes (though every consumer transaction in the US wants a minimum 20% tip lol), just that it's not the role of a private company to tell Egyptians how to run their country/save them from themselves.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Because we can’t do business without them and accountants don’t like it when money disappears?

So you have an entry like “bonded store disbursement to courtesy gift, XYZ port” and you move on.

Because there’s ten other ships in ten other ports in ten other countries that are making “petty cash disbursements to goodwill, ABC port”

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Like it's becoming normal in hot US housing markets for sellers to only consider offers that include an under the table "cash gift" up front, which they keep whether or not they take your offer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

Like it's becoming normal in hot US housing markets for sellers to only consider offers that include an under the table "cash gift" up front, which they keep whether or not they take your offer.

And ironically I’ve heard key money is mostly gone in Japan

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oh that reminds me, there used to be a dock in the Midwest that had a mailbox on the dock, like one of those mailboxes with the flag?

Anyway when you docked there, you put a box of cookies and a can of coffee in the mailbox or the loading rig had electrical problems for a while. Funny how that goes.

That was in Ohio of all places.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PookBear posted:

I was pretty sure you've traveled around the world a bit. Its a minor problem in the US and its a way of life everywhere else.

What are we going to do to fix bribery in Egypt? Bomb them?

poo poo like domestic cash bribes on housing offers are unacceptable and someone needs to 'bribe' those real-estate people with a baseball bat.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Ohio... Was it one of those ports where you're going to like the last functioning dock in a sea of rust and depression? They deserve some fuckin cookies

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

Oh that reminds me, there used to be a dock in the Midwest that had a mailbox on the dock, like one of those mailboxes with the flag?

Anyway when you docked there, you put a box of cookies and a can of coffee in the mailbox or the loading rig had electrical problems for a while. Funny how that goes.

That was in Ohio of all places.

At that point its practically ceremonial "Hi yes I am not new to this we can be friends"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

M_Gargantua posted:

I was pretty sure you've traveled around the world a bit. Its a minor problem in the US and its a way of life everywhere else.

What are we going to do to fix bribery in Egypt? Bomb them?

poo poo like domestic cash bribes on housing offers are unacceptable and someone needs to 'bribe' those real-estate people with a baseball bat.

There's a huge difference between saying bribes are acceptable and paying bribes to get poo poo done in corrupt countries.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Eej posted:

There's a huge difference between saying bribes are acceptable and paying bribes to get poo poo done in corrupt countries.

Paying bribes to get poo poo done in corrupt countries is acceptable

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
Incoming. Incoming. Incoming. [click] [beep]

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-idUSKBN2C12PR

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Eej posted:

Do you just pretend reality doesn't exist then?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eej posted:

SchnorkIes posted:

Paying bribes to get poo poo done in corrupt countries is acceptable

I think we are all almost on the same page here. Paying a bribe where bribery is part of the process is fine.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think we are all almost on the same page here. Paying a bribe where bribery is part of the process is fine.

you are such an utter piece of poo poo of a lawyer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

PookBear posted:

There’s a huge difference between members of the ruling party/family rearranging the entire ship of state to gorge themselves at the public trough and some bureaucrat who’s a generation removed from being a dirt farmer who gets paid in scraps seeking extra cash on the side because everyone else at their ministry does it.

Both are technically wrong but let’s not pretend there’s not an order of magnitude of difference between them. I mean gently caress when I lived in Egypt I knew a few doctors who were employed by the Ministry of Health who had their wages (less than $100 a month) supplemented by a few dozen chicken eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What could a bribe cost, $10?