Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Otacon posted:

I want to look into the other farming mod that adds Berries and other currently non-farmable crops.

This is ALSO the mod that lets you scale a variety of trees to make them very big and very small (although only the currently unplantable ones, a different mod lets you scale the plantable ones). I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
It'd be cool if player structures could be randomly copied over into new worlds. Maybe ruined a bit first, but think about exploring around and coming across that notre dame cathedral

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the amount of new things i kept discovering as I explored parts, for example the draugr villages in meadow biomes and the various structures in the mountains. Edging my way into the plains and finding actual inhabited villages was also really cool.

My biggest complaint is how there's just no reward for noodling around in specific biomes once you've got what you need from them. Like, running through a black forest is mostly pointless for me now that I'm almost done in the mountains except to grab the occasional thistle or berry. It world be great if there was a random chance that you'd still run into something valuable in there, some chance for things to fall outside of the narrow band of expected challenge and reward for the area. The first spoiler I mentioned is a great example of what I'd like to see more of.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I still murder every troll I see, regardless of not needing their drops.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
You Shrek rear end mothafuckas building houses in swamps. I respect it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Heffer posted:

Well yeah, obviously.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I vote everyone posts more pictures of their creations

I will be the change I wish to see in this world later tonight after I get home from work

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Just how big is the radius to trigger the Trader map icon? Do I need to actually step off the boat and run around the black forest before I can find it?

It's getting ridiculous at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd say the radius is about as far as you can run in 30 seconds. I haven't actually measured though, I'm just thinking of where I was in my boat when I saw the icon and how far inland I had to run to get to him.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Bioshuffle posted:

Just how big is the radius to trigger the Trader map icon? Do I need to actually step off the boat and run around the black forest before I can find it?

It's getting ridiculous at this point.

After looking all over the southern hemisphere on my map I gave up and look it up on the map generator, do yourself a favour and do the same. Most of my possible trader locations were at the very edges of the map, except for 3 which were straight north. Not terribly impressed by some aspects of the procedural generation..

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it seems pretty drat far, the campfire icon is about where the trader icon appeared for me:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah it's rather far, but given how exploring works it's also easy to miss.

I wish there was some remote exploration feature, like feeding crows and briefly gain some not-all revealing flying vision which helps chosing where to head.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 14, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I know about the sunk cost fallacy, but I've put so many hours into this, I will uncover the whole map if I have to.

Speaking of exploration, is there a time when you should be using half-mast?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I know about the sunk cost fallacy, but I've put so many hours into this, I will uncover the whole map if I have to.

i use the slower speeds for trolling (need to go slower to reel in the fish)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Bioshuffle posted:

It seems to me that during heavy storms if you go to half mast it tends to reduce the damage you take from waves.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also if you’re sailing a river or channel and don’t wanna slap your boat around. But I usually just row those until I’m out. No hurry on the boat. Just smokin and sailin and singin.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Heffer posted:

I have a feeling the next content will have something you can buy for like 5000 gold cause the plains throw ALOT at you

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Blaise330 posted:

I have a feeling the next content will have something you can buy for like 5000 gold cause the plains throw ALOT at you

I haven't gotten to the plains and just from black forest trolls, chests, and tombs I'm close to buying out everything but Ymir flesh.

Also I settled my first black forest base too early because I found a nice island that is entirely black forest with a Troll cave and a bunch of cool poo poo that I'd love to just have taken over. Oh well. On to the swamps!

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

I have that berry mod, and was able to plan thistle/mushrooms but for some reason when I pick it the whole thing comes out. Am I doing something wrong when planting those?

When using Planting Plus, I had the same issue with berry bushes and shrooms. Apparently its related to the timer resetting if you don't leave long enough. Since they were near my main base, I guess I never left long enough.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/335?tab=description

code:
This mod fixes berry bush/other pickable item's respawn times. There is a bug as of the release of this mod that makes the time till respawn reset every time the player enters the area of the bush, such that it takes far longer to respawn then it should.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spikes32 posted:

I have that berry mod, and was able to plan thistle/mushrooms but for some reason when I pick it the whole thing comes out. Am I doing something wrong when planting those?

Flesh Forge posted:

according to the review, the plant will regrow in the same spot :shrug:

fwiw they did for me, odd as it feels initially. "Planting" something that only grows naturally seems to just set that location as a natural spawn point and it acts like it in all regards, including "disappearing entirely when you pick it" and "showing up again 3 days or so later". You can change the spawn timer in the mod config I think, but it would be nice if they could figure out a way to place a scaled-down-but-not-pickable version there after you've plucked it

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
While in the mountain my wishbone started going off. I found a circle of three stones and that's where the wishbone was pinging. I dug and found skeletal remains and nothing else, the wishbone never stopped pinging. Any idea whats down there? Same as the boat graves in meadows?

I dug about 3.5 heights of my character before a stone golem found me and I had to abort.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Otacon posted:

I vote everyone posts more pictures of their creations

I will be the change I wish to see in this world later tonight after I get home from work

My current comfort 18 maypole mansion with wings for smelting and crafting and a smaller one out the back for cooking/brewing all around a throne room with the maypole and a large bedroom upstairs. I'm still trying to get enough deer hides for rugs and a stone golem trophy and other poo poo while working my way into the plains so the inside isn't decorated yet and the dock isn't finished. Use of the EasySnapping mod is the only thing that's non-vanilla and I've farmed all the mats within this world despite it being my 3rd world.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Molybdenum posted:

While in the mountain my wishbone started going off. I found a circle of three stones and that's where the wishbone was pinging. I dug and found skeletal remains and nothing else, the wishbone never stopped pinging. Any idea whats down there? Same as the boat graves in meadows?

I dug about 3.5 heights of my character before a stone golem found me and I had to abort.

I think the remains is it, but maybe sometimes a silver necklace? The wishbone seems to bug out over these spots, but if you leave the area and come back out should clear

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Lozareth posted:

My current comfort 18 maypole mansion with wings for smelting and crafting and a smaller one out the back for cooking/brewing all around a throne room with the maypole and a large bedroom upstairs. I'm still trying to get enough deer hides for rugs and a stone golem trophy and other poo poo while working my way into the plains so the inside isn't decorated yet and the dock isn't finished. Use of the EasySnapping mod is the only thing that's non-vanilla and I've farmed all the mats within this world despite it being my 3rd world.

Ah, so thats how you make a roof.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Molybdenum posted:

Unequip it and reequip it and it'll sort itself out

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I finally found the god drat trader. I finally did it.

I promptly made a portal, bought everything he had, and now this burning yearning I had for adventure and exploration is replaced with emptiness and disappointment.

Thankfully I still have ways to go before I've gotten my money's worth out of the game. I haven't even killed Bonemass yet.

There is a real therapeutic quality to this game that I can't praise enough. It's been a perfect game for the quarantine.

Fishing is loving awful. I'm interested to see which direction they'll take it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That +150 carry weight is such a tremendous help.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i made a skybase on a spire overlooking the yagspawn with a rickety turok-like platforming challenge to get up there. the person on our team that refuses to do combat and only build was horrified and is making a spiral staircase up the whole thing. it looks amazing lol, i'll post something tomorrow if it's done

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Heffer posted:

Two-shotting Trolls with frost arrows will never get old.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bioshuffle posted:

Fishing is loving awful. I'm interested to see which direction they'll take it.

Fishing is great - there's nothing quite like drowning in 3 inches of water less than a foot from the coast because I didn't realize fishing used stamina.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I enjoy fishing, it just needs some more variety. find a stone outcropping to stand on and half the fish you catch will be the ones that beached themselves on it zooming around the bait in the water.

Fish wraps are better than and require less barley planting than bread, and if you're fortunate enough to have an easy access trader in the bronze age of the game its a great meat replacement to stock up those for sausages and turnip stew later.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

surprised there isn't a fish trap mod (at least not that I've seen).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You don't need a mod to build fish traps.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
anyone else try shooting fish with arrows? I was so sure that'd work :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Blaise330 posted:

anyone else try shooting fish with arrows? I was so sure that'd work :(

I lost a lot of spears to the depths of the ocean before realizing it couldn't kill them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GlyphGryph posted:

You don't need a mod to build fish traps.

Do tell

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My buddy and I fought Bonemass last night, we over prepared, and brought full level 4 Iron gear, and 200 ice arrows, all the potions, and did a bunch of terrain work around the altar.

He just wandered straight at our nearest portal on top of a crypt and spent the whole time trying to smash it instead of us. He finally broke it, then got caught in some trees. He never even hit us once, and didn't spawn any additional monsters. For the record, it takes about 160 ice arrows with lvl1 huntsman bows.

It was actually kind of a letdown based on all the hype, but I'm excited to be done-ish with the swamps.

Rectovagitron fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Blaise330 posted:

Ah, so thats how you make a roof.

Oh god, are they stupid? Should I tone them down? I'm always happy with the layouts and interiors of my places and hate/can't figure out the roofs. I just wanted something that wasn't basic thatchwork this time around.

Some more pics before decoration and cleaning up the workbench bunkers around the area:

The Back

A Side

Crafting Wing

Smelting Wing

Kitchen Wing

The doors under the fermenters have chests behind them to make them cabinets.

Bedroom and its Loft

Throne Room

I kind of like this without clutter and my not decorate it further.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Lozareth posted:

Oh god, are they stupid? Should I tone them down? I'm always happy with the layouts and interiors of my places and hate/can't figure out the roofs. I just wanted something that wasn't basic thatchwork this time around.

Some more pics before decoration and cleaning up the workbench bunkers around the area:

The Back

A Side

Crafting Wing

Smelting Wing

Kitchen Wing

The doors under the fermenters have chests behind them to make them cabinets.

Bedroom and its Loft

Throne Room

I kind of like this without clutter and my not decorate it further.

Incredible job! The throne is really really cool.

Im also totally stealing the couch/bench idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Incredible job! The throne is really really cool.

Im also totally stealing the couch/bench idea.

Thank you! :D They were my stepson's idea way back in one of my first houses and now I always put them in my home. The empty space at the front of the benches is covered with backwards signs.