Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nephzinho posted:

What could a bribe cost, $10?

In a lot of place, yeah. A carton of duty free cigarettes goes a long way.

Edit: friend of mine once got to go to Nigeria on a large crude oil tanker, the custom officer implied that the customs clearance would go a lot faster if she did it one on one with him; he had to satisfy himself with a dozen cartons of cigarettes and a pair of boots.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

In a lot of place, yeah. A carton of duty free cigarettes goes a long way.

People do not understand the difference in what a carton of cigarettes is worth to a sophisticated blue state American vs a filthy duty free seaman

Edit: I feel like you know it's a kind of sad situation when old boots are so prized

poll plane variant fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 15, 2021

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s a huge difference between members of the ruling party/family rearranging the entire ship of state to gorge themselves at the public trough and some bureaucrat who’s a generation removed from being a dirt farmer who gets paid in scraps seeking extra cash on the side because everyone else at their ministry does it.

Both are technically wrong but let’s not pretend there’s not an order of magnitude of difference between them. I mean gently caress when I lived in Egypt I knew a few doctors who were employed by the Ministry of Health who had their wages (less than $100 a month) supplemented by a few dozen chicken eggs.

nothing that frozen vent had said in the lead up to this was hinting towards bribing people with eggs. Unless he was trying to imply that someone was going to fly into egypt with a duffel bag full of eggs.

FrozenVent posted:

Legit shipping companies have a process for facilitation payments.

Every few years you get a manager from outside shipping who loses his poo poo at the idea of charterers victualling and decides to cancel all courtesy gifts.

This kills the KPI and the career.

FrozenVent posted:

It’s 100% Egypt trying to squeeze them, once the media spotlight is off someone is going to fly into Cairo with a duffel bag and fly out empty handed and the ship will quietly go to Port Said and unload. That’s how it works there, the only difference this time is the memes.

This was followed by the resident dipshit lawyer and schmorkles asking what's wrong with bribes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

M_Gargantua posted:

Do you just pretend reality doesn't exist then?

I'm literally talking about reality. Two statements:

bribery is morally wrong and we should not be encouraging or accepting it

paying bribes is a cost of doing business internationally

So paying bribes to get poo poo done out there is not morally acceptable but we do it anyway because the costs of taking a stand are very high and our ability to influence foreign nation's corruption is minimal at best. Bribery on home soil should have zero tolerance and the fuzzy language being thrown around suggests (rightfully or not) some people think that bribery at home is also just the cost of doing business.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The first step in getting rid of domestic bribes is abolishing the police. I consider this an absolute win.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PookBear posted:

you are such an utter piece of poo poo of a lawyer.

Esquire is the honorific you're looking for

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

That’s assuming Smitt was contracted by the government or SCA and not by the ship. They’d usually get a contract with the ship so they can put a lien on it (beside the coastal / port state would sale to recover from the owner anyway)

To sum up the claims, roughly:
-The salvors (SMITT and excavator dude) have a claim against the owners of the ship for the salvage award, assuming the salvage was performed under LOF, or for the salvage costs and mark up if that’s how they were contracted
-The charterers (Evergreen) have a claim against the owners for off-hire for the time since the ship ran aground
-The ship owners have a general average claim against the charterers and cargo interest to recover the salvage costs
-Some cargo owners are going to sue the charterers and owners to recover the value of spoiled cargo; they will lose (Hague-Visby wooo)
-The ships that got delayed and the owners of cargo onboard same are poo poo out of luck
-Egypt is going to do whatever the gently caress they feel like; they reasonably have a claim for the damage to the canal and their salvage effort but they’re a government so laws don’t really apply to them.
-The pilots are home and laughing
-The crew is stuck onboard until further notice but they should still be getting paid, unless the ship management company (different entity from the owners or charterers) goes under.

Then the insurers, reinsurers and P&I are all going to start flinging poo poo at each other’s, and there’s going to be brokers and the like filling claims up and down the chain, but them’s the basic. It’s pretty simple overall, except for their being a few dozen thousand cargo owners. That’s your headache.

That and the media attention, you don’t want the duffel bag to end up in a meme.

Whose Line is it Anyway rules have more transparency good lord

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Milo and POTUS posted:

Welcome to shipping, where everything's made up and money's the only thing that matters!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Well you just got 5 more years Iraq! Keep playing, Afghanistan, and we will stay in you for another 20 years!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I still find it kind of surreal that a country can just *yoink* everything on a cargo ship if it wants to. I mean I guess that's the benefit to being a sovereign power, but jeez.

What would happen if a superjumbo cruise ship got stuck? (I have no idea if cruise ships actually go through the Suez canal much) Do they get to ransom the passengers? Enslave the staff? Do they keep all the passengers' luggage and all the booze and stuff from the onboard mall?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Milo and POTUS posted:

New thread title!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I still find it kind of surreal that a country can just *yoink* everything on a cargo ship if it wants to. I mean I guess that's the benefit to being a sovereign power, but jeez.

What would happen if a superjumbo cruise ship got stuck? (I have no idea if cruise ships actually go through the Suez canal much) Do they get to ransom the passengers? Enslave the staff? Do they keep all the passengers' luggage and all the booze and stuff from the onboard mall?

It's never happened, so :shrug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The first world passengers would be fine but good luck to anyone else.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eej posted:

I'm literally talking about reality. Two statements:

bribery is morally wrong and we should not be encouraging or accepting it

paying bribes is a cost of doing business internationally

So paying bribes to get poo poo done out there is not morally acceptable but we do it anyway because the costs of taking a stand are very high and our ability to influence foreign nation's corruption is minimal at best. Bribery on home soil should have zero tolerance and the fuzzy language being thrown around suggests (rightfully or not) some people think that bribery at home is also just the cost of doing business.

I'd imagine that the amount of fuzzy language about bribes is proportional to how much leverage the speaker has to fight that bribery, or how much it impacts them.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I know corruption, as a word, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, but I think the ethics probably also can't be separated from the ethics of what you're corrupting. Corruption is bad like a fever, not bad like a virus. It's the symptom--and probably sometimes the easiest economic solution to a problem.

Bribes are economic tools. They are abhorred by people living in countries that idealize (even if they often fail to achieve) fairness of courts, equality and equity, economic mobility, the legal and economic freedom for peoples to quit their job and get a new one, transparency in government and systems, and the ability of systems to be rationally altered to meet the need of their clients (i.e. democratic government, customer-oriented businesses). And if those ideals are being met, then they are probably unethical in those situations because they threaten all of those things by obfuscating economic systems.

But if the price of corruption is large international companies localize more of their wealth to those adjacent to the efforts, that gets more ethically complicated. There's no doubt great wrongs and nepotisms that likely occur within any regular system of bribery, but the unethical act may not be participation in a system of bribery by either participant, it may be a lack of aforementioned conditions (or whatever other conditions that I didn't just make up are). And that's why it's corruption. It's not a single bad actor, it's complicated and the "wrongness" of some participants could are probably the refusal to violate the sovereignty of a nation and reestablish their government in a way that can establish those conditions. Truth told, I'd prefer it if Maersk didn't do that. So then who's fault is it? Where do I point the finger?

Edit: It can also be unethical if you're civically oriented and are trying to participate or build such a society. On the far end of the spectrum would be bribery to achieve war aims against Nazis as pretty close to ethical bribery because pretty much everyone here would agree that undoing that society was a good thing. For the middle cases? I don't know that I'm well informed on the bureaucratic and political situation around the Suez to confidently specify an ethical position.

piL fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Admiralty law has been built out of millennia of shipping magnates doing everything they can to obfuscate ownership and liability. There are more layers in ship ownership than in an onion.

The ability of a country to seize a ship and sell it is a necessary result of the ever-present effort by the people who own the ships hiding from liability. Even in 2021, Egypt's only real recourse to ensure they get compensated at all is to seize the vessel. This is their sovereign water and this ship caused them actual loss. If they weren't able to seize the ship, they'd never see a penny. The United States routinely arrests vessels in similar fashion.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

Oh that reminds me, there used to be a dock in the Midwest that had a mailbox on the dock, like one of those mailboxes with the flag?

Anyway when you docked there, you put a box of cookies and a can of coffee in the mailbox or the loading rig had electrical problems for a while. Funny how that goes.

That was in Ohio of all places.

What type of cookies

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Egypt doesn't have a great track record in terms of being able to hold the canal or the general area of the canal by force so I don't think they'd really want to dabble in headline news kidnapping/atrocities/etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have a feeling that the cruiseliner insurance would actually just pay whatever they ask since people are a much bigger hassle to deal with than cargo.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Every single country on this planet has corruption. Low level bribe stuff for dock workers or cops is chump change in comparison to what is happening in the top levels of government.

Humans are inheritantly corrupt, the world is a gently caress.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

In other news, this guys chain of command is having a great day I bet.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1382505946778370050?s=21

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CainFortea posted:

I'd imagine that the amount of fuzzy language about bribes is proportional to how much leverage the speaker has to fight that bribery, or how much it impacts them.

Its a little tricky to evaluate bribes based on western cultural norms. The poorer middle eastern states usually saw them as a gift between friends that helped to smooth things out. This doesn't mean that endemic bribery doesn't enrich connected people or punish poorly connected people but focusing on it strictly in terms of black and white leads to the previous examples of zealous managers trying to stamp out bribery and rapidly finding the exit.

Changing cultural norms is one of the hardest things to do so while several packs of (American) Marlboro reds (the tobacco is better and they are worth more) may be perpetuating the status quo, I hope the damage is minor enough to not matter. The only way to avoid it or bigger sources of graft is to completely avoid certain areas of the world.

Edit: Maersk tried to institute a no bribery policy. In Egypt the tugs tried to snap $5000 lines, in India the black gangs raided the slop chest anyways and held up the ship for an extended period, Sri Lanka was smooth but I think the captain just gave them cigs out of the slop chest and used the crew fund to pay it, Pakistan see India, etc etc.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 15, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

What could a bribe cost, $10?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

ASAPI posted:

In other news, this guys chain of command is having a great day I bet.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1382505946778370050?s=21

This bag of poo poo burned straight the blotter and had a quick mention by the president, he's hosed.

They got the sheriff, local leaders, JAG, CID, justice department, post CSM and 2 star, and gently caress knows who else all up in this poo poo, I wouldn't even want to share a loving grid square with him.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Countries can do whatever the gently caress they want, what are you gonna do, call the cops?

They could seize a cruise ship, it would be a huge international incident, then they’d eventually release people from first world countries and gently caress the rest.

I’ve been on a cruise ship that wasn’t allowed to clear custom and immigration until immigration had fingerprinted and photographed the entire crew, US Citizens excepted. What are you gonna do about it, not call Miami?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Almost 2200 Brooklyn Center MN about to pop off

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The thirteen year old kid in chicago died with his hands in the air, and it doesn't look to me in the screenshot like he's got a gun. Below is spoilered not because it's graphic but because this was the kid's last moments alive.

:nms:https://twitter.com/HechaEnChicago/status/1382401194627371009

Also there's an explanation for the kid getting killed by police at the school in Knoxville.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

To circle back to the latest school shooting:
Cops admitted that the officer that was shot wasn't shot by the student/child they killed. Likely a negligent discharge while drawing (or cop's partner plugged him).

The whole story is poo poo, and I hope that Knoxville doesn't get out of hand.

A friend typed this up, trying to summarize the events to the best of their knowledge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
poo poo is going down in Brooklyn Center. Assembly declared unlawful. Hosing down the crowd in OC. Spraying pepperballs. crowd is not budging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M25oERBxSg

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Tasers should have the fire button on top like a Star Trek TNG phaser.

https://twitter.com/curtisgilbert/status/1382454711920562176

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Police phalanx closing in on protestors.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo is going down in Brooklyn Center. Assembly declared unlawful. Hosing down the crowd in OC. Spraying pepperballs. crowd is not budging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M25oERBxSg

I've been watching wokenet on twitch. The use of dispersal agents of all types hasn't stopped. They've definitely taken lessons from Oregon, unlike the 1/6 crowd. Have their umbrellas, protection, chemical neutralization all set.

Its past curfew now so police probably try and disperse soon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

lightpole posted:

I've been watching wokenet on twitch. The use of dispersal agents of all types hasn't stopped. They've definitely taken lessons from Oregon, unlike the 1/6 crowd. Have their umbrellas, protection, chemical neutralization all set.

Its past curfew now so police probably try and disperse soon.

They're marching on them now. Bigass phalanx.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SchnorkIes posted:

Egypt doesn't have a great track record in terms of being able to hold the canal or the general area of the canal by force so I don't think they'd really want to dabble in headline news kidnapping/atrocities/etc.

They have a great record of taking their ball and going home.

If they can’t control the canal, no one can.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The cops are having the time of their lives. They live for this. They're rabid dogs itching for a fight. And they're getting a fuckton of overtime.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cops are having the time of their lives. They live for this. They're rabid dogs itching for a fight. And they're getting a fuckton of overtime.

Would you say we’ve entered the summer coolzone?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FrozenVent posted:

Would you say we’ve entered the summer coolzone?

Yeah none of the problems in our policing system have been improved since last year, and each incident is getting more and more publicity. People are sick of this poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They've got those "nonlethal" microwave pain beams that cause permanent damage mounted to their SUVs.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

They've got those "nonlethal" microwave pain beams that cause permanent damage mounted to their SUVs.

Jesus seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when TASERs were talked about as “less lethal” alternatives to guns and police weren’t supposed to use them for compliance and torture but only in situations in which they would otherwise shoot to kill?