Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A cheap lovely one. MDF is really hard on bits and blades and dulls them.

I melted the Kreg hinge jig doing all the doors for my bookcases because they were MDF.

Calidus posted:

Is that half shank rule of thumb for hardwood? I am trying to figure how dumb I been cutting 1/2” deep grooves with a single pass in pine with my Dewalt trim router.

I mean it will do it, but you're introducing risk to an already risky tool. Routers are dangerous and using underpowered routers or cutting too deeply in each pass encourages you to put more and more force on it. This means the chances of a bit snapping increase. Pair that with a trim router where your hands are closer to the cutter and its not something I would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Even with a full sized router, I’m pretty sure taking too heavy of cuts with long bits caused the spindle bearing on my Bosch router to go bad. It was an easy and cheap part to replace, but something I’d rather not have to do all the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm getting closer to starting on this sofa table in earnest after I finish puttering with a minor decorative project. I might go with staked legs as suggested.

The table is going to be 66 long by 12 wide by 30 high (revised measurements from friends). I'm going to make the top out of nice 3/4 inch birch ply that I already have laying around and do the exposed ply on the edge again. I have a bunch of ash in my shop but I'm not sure that the honey-coloured ash makes for a nice contrast with the birch, so I'm thinking about picking up some other wood - my local hardwood supplier has some reasonably-enough priced rough cut maple and walnut shorts right now. Out of ash, maple, and walnut, are any of those a bad choice for legs, or an especially good one? I don't have a lathe so I'll be plane-rounding the legs.

If I go with a staked design on this, what splay and leg thickness would be safe or advisable for such a light-duty but long and high table? Or are there any other designs that might be suitable?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I have the full MKii sharpening jig system, its good but bulky, especially when you buy the accessories like the skew angle jig. They also take up a lot of space and my miata-scaled toolchest is always tight on space.

These new sharpening jigs, both the side clamping one and the short blade sharpening jig make me want to sell my mkii's

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Those sharpening jigs make me extra annoyed with my own sharpening jig because it sometimes bounces on its e-clips or whatever. Then you got Matt Estlea's "how to sharpen a chisel" video where he uses a machine to do most of it. Sometimes I look at Japanese woodworking videos and I see their chisels and I just feel pain

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommonShore posted:

I'm getting closer to starting on this sofa table in earnest after I finish puttering with a minor decorative project. I might go with staked legs as suggested.

The table is going to be 66 long by 12 wide by 30 high (revised measurements from friends). I'm going to make the top out of nice 3/4 inch birch ply that I already have laying around and do the exposed ply on the edge again. I have a bunch of ash in my shop but I'm not sure that the honey-coloured ash makes for a nice contrast with the birch, so I'm thinking about picking up some other wood - my local hardwood supplier has some reasonably-enough priced rough cut maple and walnut shorts right now. Out of ash, maple, and walnut, are any of those a bad choice for legs, or an especially good one? I don't have a lathe so I'll be plane-rounding the legs.

If I go with a staked design on this, what splay and leg thickness would be safe or advisable for such a light-duty but long and high table? Or are there any other designs that might be suitable?

I'm sure I'm misreading, or need meds or something here. It looks like a 3 Stooges disaster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm sure I'm misreading, or need meds or something here. It looks like a 3 Stooges disaster.

It's a long skinny table to go behind a sofa - I posted about it about a week or so ago and someone suggested staked legs, maybe (probably) as a troll. I gave it serious consideration after my last thread-related adventure. I've been thinking about how I might do that (and the weakness of the legs has been the big concern, and that's why I asked), but as I said I'm considering other designs too.

How would you approach a table of these dimensions?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bloody posted:

This is a code requirement now

TIL. I would have used them anyway, as I am a fallible moron, but good to know!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommonShore posted:

It's a long skinny table to go behind a sofa - I posted about it about a week or so ago and someone suggested staked legs, maybe (probably) as a troll. I gave it serious consideration after my last thread-related adventure. I've been thinking about how I might do that (and the weakness of the legs has been the big concern, and that's why I asked), but as I said I'm considering other designs too.

Behind a sofa, like between it and the wall? Here I am assuming a sofa has a back, but then that make sense with 30" height. Something like that sounds like a sideboard type thing, for which 12" is still pretty narrow. If there's a wall, I'd just attach a shelf there.....staked legs would be a troll, imo because there'd be hardly any space between them on the narrow end.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Behind a sofa, like between it and the wall? Here I am assuming a sofa has a back, but then that make sense with 30" height. Something like that sounds like a sideboard type thing, for which 12" is still pretty narrow. If there's a wall, I'd just attach a shelf there.....staked legs would be a troll, imo because there'd be hardly any space between them on the narrow end.

Console Table

12" is on the shallow end but still plenty of examples that dimension. Even the ones that are 15-16" deep, (which on the larger side for the form) often have legs an inch or so inside that envelope (so 12-14")

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 14, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

Are you just staking the legs through the top? That seems like it would be really bouncy. Plywood isn't very stiff when it's flat like that, so I'd think about some kind of aprons or understructure. 12"wide x30"h table is probably a little skinny and tippy anyway so I'd play around some with a simple scale model maybe to get some idea of how the leg splaying might work?

All the woods you listed are strong and easy to work-just whatever you like best imo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are you just staking the legs through the top? That seems like it would be really bouncy. Plywood isn't very stiff when it's flat like that, so I'd think about some kind of aprons or understructure. 12"wide x30"h table is probably a little skinny and tippy anyway so I'd play around some with a simple scale model maybe to get some idea of how the leg splaying might work?

All the woods you listed are strong and easy to work-just whatever you like best imo.

I think if I stake the legs Im going to stake them into plates of the same wood underneath, which I then attach to the top, so they don't go through the surface. Regarding the plywood bending, I've been thinking about laminating a 3" wide strip to the centre underneath to reinforce it.

The other model I'm considering is making 2 or 3 bridle joint sawhorse structures out of 1x material as legs and screwing the top to that. Probably more work and wood but fewer opportunities for idiotic mistakes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

Console Table

12" is on the shallow end but still plenty of examples that dimension. Even the ones that are 15-16" deep, (which on the larger side for the form) often have legs an inch or so inside that envelope (so 12-14")

If he goes that route, he def ought to follow most of those and add a bottom shelf for stability. 29" Legs inside 12" is really asking a lot of a beginner.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Staked legs was idk a half troll but in plywood that sounds like a recipe for misery

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I would treat the plywood as non-structural and design the rest of the table to stand on its own without it. Adding the top then increases the strength and stability of it.

That way I would be sure it wouldn't sag or twist due to lack of support.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Deteriorata posted:

I would treat the plywood as non-structural and design the rest of the table to stand on its own without it. Adding the top then increases the strength and stability of it.

That way I would be sure it wouldn't sag or twist due to lack of support.

I like thinking about it that way, and that settles it. Thanks for the input all - I'm going to make the lower structure out of three light bridle joint structures, probably made from those maple shorts I saw. It'll be a good hand/power tool project mix as well, so that's fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A bit of "Its fine" woodworking today. I needed some storage space so I put two of my old pallets to use. I scrapped a lovely pallet for the internal timbers to make legs than I screwed the legs onto one of the nicer pallets that has a solid surface. Gave me a chance to try out my new impact driver! Wow this thing is way better at driving screws than a power drill. I used construction screws for this one (unlike my work bench which is simple nails). The screws seems to hold it together better than nails:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Urban Reclaimed Wood dining room table $2000

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Urban Reclaimed Wood dining room table $2000

Distressed Urban Reclaimed Wood dining room table $3000

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Those metal edges would bruise the poo poo outta legs, and the corners would tear your skin off, drat.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Covered in genuine BMW owner blood, +$800.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I bring home hardware in the back of my BMW. I should sell poo poo and advertise that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

OgreNoah posted:

Those metal edges would bruise the poo poo outta legs, and the corners would tear your skin off, drat.

Anyone stupid enough to buy that deserves it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Even more it's fine woodworking:

Knocked together a little firewood shed out of the pallets that all of my vinyl fencing was delivered on. Even better, they used pt lumber to distribute the pressure on the packaged, which became the columns. Even more better, I had just enough pieces left to make a little roof.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NomNomNom posted:

Even more it's fine woodworking:

Knocked together a little firewood shed out of the pallets that all of my vinyl fencing was delivered on. Even better, they used pt lumber to distribute the pressure on the packaged, which became the columns. Even more better, I had just enough pieces left to make a little roof.

Hell yeah I love this :cheers:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just took a rusty lightly pitted plane iron that was at the bottom of a garage sale bin, cleaned it up and put an 8" radius on it and slapped it into a crummy no4 plane to make a scrub.

Holy poo poo scrub planes are amazing

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Just took a rusty lightly pitted plane iron that was at the bottom of a garage sale bin, cleaned it up and put an 8" radius on it and slapped it into a crummy no4 plane to make a scrub.

Holy poo poo scrub planes are amazing

How did you put the radius on it? Bench grinder?

I picked up a spare iron for the same reason and haven't gotten around to reshaping it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

How did you put the radius on it? Bench grinder?

I picked up a spare iron for the same reason and haven't gotten around to reshaping it.

Yeah I made a template, marked it with a sharpie, and used the bench grinder. I could do it with a file but I don't think I'd want to, given the option.

If you've never used the scrub plane just quit procrastinating (like I did) and do it. It's an unbelievable tool and I now wish I had done it as soon as I picked up that iron. It took me like 5 minutes to resurface my low Roman work bench - scrub, jack smoother - with it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I made a template, marked it with a sharpie, and used the bench grinder. I could do it with a file but I don't think I'd want to, given the option.

If you've never used the scrub plane just quit procrastinating (like I did) and do it. It's an unbelievable tool and I now wish I had done it as soon as I picked up that iron. It took me like 5 minutes to resurface my low Roman work bench - scrub, jack smoother - with it.

Awesome thanks.

I don't need a scrub plane for anything at the moment but I'll get that job done before I do need it for an upcoming project.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Awesome thanks.

I don't need a scrub plane for anything at the moment but I'll get that job done before I do need it for an upcoming project.

you need a scrub plane for making chips and shavings :colbert:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Scrub planes - they're not just for scrubs

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

you need a scrub plane for making chips and shavings :colbert:

I'm doing some shop upgrades right now so mostly plywood work and electrical.

Regularly scheduled shaving production will resume in a couple weeks.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
A fore plane (which includes no5 jack planes and no6 fore planes) with a radiused blade is not the same thing as a scrub plane. A scrub plane is much smaller, has a narrower blade, and is overall much less versatile.

I agree with everything said about the usefulness of a heavily raidused blade, but that alone doesn't make something a scrub plane.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
On that topic, what's the difference between a jack plane and a smoothing plane? I've been working on this inherited Sargent but I'm not sure what it actually is.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Stultus Maximus posted:

On that topic, what's the difference between a jack plane and a smoothing plane? I've been working on this inherited Sargent but I'm not sure what it actually is.

Primarily length, secondarily how you set them up

Smoothing planes: 8-13"

Fore (jack) planes: 14-18"

Try (jointer) planes: 22"+

You'll note some gaps, Stanley never made 20" planes in metal but they did in their transitional line. Is it a fore? Is it a try? Who knows. Set it up with a heavily curved blade and serve as the former, a more shallow curve or straight edge and it will serve as the latter.

Shorter planes can get into smaller areas and smooth surfaces without resorting to removing tons of material. Longer planes will ride across the tops of ridges and flatten them down to level the entire board. Fore planes in the middle are short and light enough to do heavy roughing work, but long enough to establish a reasonably-towards-flat surface for the try plane to start working on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Okay, so at 10" this one is probably meant to be a smoothing plane.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I bought all the stuff (minus the sjoberg tail vise) to make the rob cosman workbench. Talk me out of it, and tell me what else I should do with a sheet of 1" MDF.

My next big splurge purchase will probably be a decent set of handplanes. The WoodRiver set comes with a #4, a #6, and a low angle block plane -- the Veritas set comes with a Small Bevel Up Smoother, a low angle jack, and a low angle block plane. They're basically the same price. I'm leaning towards the Veritas set, because as a hybrid woodworker in a very small shop space I feel like the low angle jack is maybe better for using as a jointer to establish a flat edge to be able to run through a table saw, and also as a fore plane for flattening high spots enough to send a board through a thickness planer.

I currently have two kind of lovely hand planes, a new Stanley low angle block plane that I've been able to make work pretty well for finishing edges and breaking corners and things, and a Grizzly #4 that Rex Krueger convinced me was actually pretty good and I think it just sucks, actually, because I've never been able to take more than like two good shavings from it before something about it gets misaligned and hosed up. The chip breaker seems like a big problem, it was nothing like flush to the iron when I got it, and I think I've gotten it pretty close, but the plane has just never worked well for me.

Part of the reason the Veritas low angle set is appealing is that they're all bevel up planes and I wouldn't have to worry about a chip breaker. But there's wisdom in our ancestors and they used bevel down planes, so what am I missing?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you're doing hybrid, I agree the Veritas is probably the better choice. At least, almost all the hybrid folks that I follow and ITT like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Even though I'm a big fan of the no6 I absolutely agree that between those two choices the veritas set is the hands down pick.

Also on the workbench front: its not too late to switch to the Roubo style anarchists workbench, which, just when comparing the weight/joinery looks vastly superior to me, but I've only usee the roubo not the cosman.