Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for free solo strings?
I have the free BBC orchestra this page has been talking about and the standard version of Komplete 13 and a solo violin/viola/cello is the only hole I have that I can't seem to find a decent freebie for- it's not something I'd use enough to make it worth the general 100ish companies want for these things, but I struggle with getting the ancient ones included in Kontakt to sound good. I'm probably SOL here I know but it's worth an ask in case I missed anything.
I use Cubase on Windows.

For a lot of the really cheap orchestral stuff the big problem is Native Instruments Kontakt player is kind of the troll at tne bridge you gotta pay. Basically NI charges an optional license fee to sample library makers. If they pay it, you can use the library their free Kontakt player. If they don't you have to use the paid Kontakt player. Kontakt is a pain in the rear end to work with too Its ancient and it shows, espeically with the audio routing.

A cheap, but not really, option is EastWests composer cloud. Its a $20 a month subscription but its a staggeringly huge amount of instruments and they are all pretty drat high quality. The catch is the Play engine, Eastwests answer to Kontakt is seriously heavy on CPU, Ram and Disk. You want a beefy machine if your planning on doing full orchestra arangements. They dont seem to do tutti style libraries (like Albion One or Metropolis Ark) but they do have a decent set of ensemble patches in there. Its a great alternative if you dont want to fork out many thousands fueling a never ending sample library fetish. But just be aware Play kind of sucks. They;'ve been promising a new player, Opus, thats supposed to solvre those issues but until thats out, consider it vaporware. Also their Choir and Eth]nic instrument libraries are world class. Oh and you'll want a good terabyte of SSD space to put it all on.

Personally I've moved to Spitfire as Ive been trying to drastically reduce the number of subscriptions I use. So im using BBCSO Core, Solo strings, Abbey Road One foundations and Albion, and Im promising myself no more libs until I get a new job because thats already $2KAUD righ there in libraries or my missus will tear my dick off for blowing too much money

duck monster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Note that CC has two standalone violins, the QL Solo Violin sucks rear end, the Hollywood one is passable.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Looks like Native Instruments and Izotope have joined up forces.
Hope this doesn't mean subscriptions ahead

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Hope this doesn't mean subscriptions ahead

Absynth+: with expanded tuning capabilities, up to 16 voices (from 4), and a bigger preset library, just $2.99/mo.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tbf if they re-released Absynth with a usable gui and did nothing else I'd probably bite

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
For reverb, Orilriver is a great free verb, and Devil's Spring from Lostin70s is the best free spring reverb sim I've ever heard. I use that over some paid spring reverbs I have for surf guitar lines.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
The new HG-2MS owns hard but... Kind of lame that owners of the original don't have a cheaper path to upgrade.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

NonzeroCircle posted:

"The VC firm that bought Izotope has now gobbled up Native Instruments" :negative:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

gently caress, I'm just starting to get good with and like RX, can't wait for it to get wrecked by contemporary business models!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Octatonic posted:

gently caress, I'm just starting to get good with and like RX, can't wait for it to get wrecked by contemporary business models!

Don't worry, they may go the Magix route and just re-skin it every couple of years without ever adding functionality or fixing any bugs.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's the nice thing about outboard gear, honestly. Like VSTs are way more flexible and easily implemented (and cheaper let's be honest) than an outboard unit, but unless we phase out TRS cables, which is unlikely, I don't have to worry about compatibility. My reverbs or compressors or whatever will just chug along whether it's Mac, Windows or even a console.

The price, space and annoyance (buying a patch bay just to not gently caress around all the time) is definitely a trade off. A Bricasti is the bees knees apparently. But it's like AU$5k. That's a lot of VSTs, even pro level ones.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah looks like it was a leveraged buyout, just like what killed Toys R Us, Hertz and J. Crew.

Haha yeah ...

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/current-state-of-ni-interesting-thread-on-reddit.358871/

quote:

For the most recent year they filed (Jan 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017), the operating company (what we would think of as NI who makes the software, etc) generated €68 million in sales and about €19 million in “other operating income”, for a total revenue of €88.2 million. They also had €84.6 million in expenses which means that they barely broke even in 2017 and only made €3.6 million in profit. For comparison, NI reported almost €10 million in overall profit in 2016. They did €5 million in 2015, €18 million in 2014, €16 million in 2013, and so on. So 2017 was down a lot from previous years.

I looked up the 2018 filing, and it looks like they made a €6mil loss. The way LBOs work is to take out a bunch of debt to buy a company, then use the company's own cash flow to repay that debt. For companies that are struggling a little but stable, suddenly having to service a bunch of extra debt often kills them. It can take a while -- Toys R Us died due to not having any spare cash to invest in their stores and online experience, and it was 12 years from buyout to bankruptcy. But, well, RIP Native Instruments probably.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Not a fan of Acustica, but Sienna is fairly good and even in the early testing stages, I'm liking it more than realphones + vsx, sonarworks, waves... Their 40% off introductory sale ends next week and I'm super tempted to (for some reason) give them money...

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
How much mileage can I get out of what comes bundled with Logic? :thanks:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

AverySpecialfriend posted:

A whole lot. Logic comes with a ton of sounds and effects.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Charlie Clouser (ex-NIN, now does loads of soundtrack work, like the SAW movies) pretty much only uses Logic and it's stock plugins

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Every DAW's stock plugins are good enough to excellent at this point, won't ever stop us from lusting after the Pro-Qs of the world and their Workflow Improvements that will magically make us do more honest work on mixing :negative:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t know about logic specifically but the stuff that comes bundled with a DAW will generally be enough to make almost anything you can think of. i have spent more money than i’d like to admit on plug-ins and while i use a lot of them very often most of my go-to tools are what came bundled with the DAW. this will obviously get tricky if you’re looking for accurate recreations of acoustic instruments but even then there’s tons of free options, especially for a logic user.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Logic has some powerhouse plugins, namely Alchemy, Ultrabeat, and Sculpture.

Holy poo poo, just reading up on them all again makes me want to go back to MacOS... Noooooo... Don't do it......

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i kinda wish i could go macos tbh but i need to use a bunch of obscure windows-only software

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Perhaps I buy then seems like a deece option

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If you're all set to put up with the MacOS side of things, like updates that make your poo poo obsolete, then you'll have an absolute blast with Logic. Like I said, I miss it. But I don't miss Apple's handling of things outside of it.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I had to buy a MacBook for grad school so now I'm team apple

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I use Ableton on MacOS. I tried logic for a while, it's good but I find their skeumorphic poo poo annoying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I had to buy a MacBook for grad school so now I'm team apple

Yeah, that was me, and then I upgraded to a Mac Pro ten years ago. To their credit, my system is still going strong.

However, my audio interface is now legacy after one of their updates years and years ago, but thankfully I found a weird hacky workaround. And I actually can't update MacOS beyond I think 10.13? It just isn't compatible with my hardware.

And Logic Pro X needs an OS update from whatever I'm on (I can't even remember, and I'm not in front of it right now).

I switched over to Reaper and while I absolutely love it overall, goddamn do I miss those Logic plugins.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
it's such a shame how fucky all this stuff is really and that things like OS and version numbers are still such an issue in this day and age.
As I'm sure all 15 people in this subforum are sick of hearing, I've used Cubase for the past few years and I've seen they are moving away from the dongle soon and using... :iiam: instead, with a risk of subscription model too.
I don't like monthly subscription models at all (if I can pay anything like car insurance etc yearly I will do as I find it easier to manage my money that way with one big payment every twelve months rather than a bunch of dribbles monthly), though I understand the business reasons-as far as I am concerned Cubase and Komplete are already subscription models that I pay once a year for.
I also understand that music software ain't cheap and that stuff like rent-to-own for Serum makes it much more accessible, which I'm all for. It just doesn't work for me personally.
I get why a lot of people don't like dongles, especially if you have a laptop with limited USB ports: for me it's not an issue and the physical elicenser itself is small and inobtrusive and compared to online poo poo like iLok that somehow is still linked to motherboard too is much easier. Sorting out Slate Drums after a PC upgrade was gross, whereas for Cubase it was
"here is my dongle with my license"
"OK cool bruv, no worries, carry on"

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 14, 2021

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Been playing with the new brainworx true peak limiter these last 48 hours or so... It's really... Meh

It's not bad, but it's "normal" price is & 249, which puts it above Pro-L 2 and nearly everything else. For as much hype as Dirk was bringing over these years.. I just don't get it. In my tests I got fine results, but not enough for me to swap out the Pro-L 2. I guess PA is really gearing their future releases to the subscription model crowd because... I can't think of another reason it exists :shrug:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NonzeroCircle posted:

it's such a shame how fucky all this stuff is really and that things like OS and version numbers are still such an issue in this day and age.
As I'm sure all 15 people in this subforum are sick of hearing, I've used Cubase for the past few years and I've seen they are moving away from the dongle soon and using... :iiam: instead, with a risk of subscription model too.
I don't like monthly subscription models at all (if I can pay anything like car insurance etc yearly I will do as I find it easier to manage my money that way with one big payment every twelve months rather than a bunch of dribbles monthly), though I understand the business reasons-as far as I am concerned Cubase and Komplete are already subscription models that I pay once a year for.
I also understand that music software ain't cheap and that stuff like rent-to-own for Serum makes it much more accessible, which I'm all for. It just doesn't work for me personally.
I get why a lot of people don't like dongles, especially if you have a laptop with limited USB ports: for me it's not an issue and the physical elicenser itself is small and inobtrusive and compared to online poo poo like iLok that somehow is still linked to motherboard too is much easier. Sorting out Slate Drums after a PC upgrade was gross, whereas for Cubase it was
"here is my dongle with my license"
"OK cool bruv, no worries, carry on"

Has Steinberg said anything at all about what the new model will be? I've not been playing really close attention to their announcements about this, but the dongle has never bothered me, whereas periodically I would get weird errors back when I their elicenser thing for Cubase LE or whatever came with my UR44 -- never had a single issue since moving over to the dongle. I generally prefer to use Cubase when I'm just wanting to sit down and record stuff and mess around with effects -- it feels a lot more intuitive to me than Ableton -- but if they do some weird subscription model that doesn't work smoothly like the dongle, man, that would be a bummer.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
No they haven't announced anything beyond moving away from the elicenser

watho
Aug 2, 2013

if subscription models were worth it to consumers they wouldn’t be so popular among corporations

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I found the rent to own Serum deal fantastic for a few reasons:

1. Most importantly, once you pay it off, it's yours, not Splice's
2. It doesn't cost anything extra
3. You can pause your payments any time, and as far as I know, there's no expiration.

I greatly prefer that business model over "pay in perpetuity", because at least there's an end goal, and I'm in no way being ripped off.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah the rent to own thing is a lot better than a straight up subscription, which is what splice does with its samples lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nm

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For anyone not also following the synth thread, Pigments was just updated to version 3, free for existing users. New synth engine (additive), 3rd engine slot dedicated for 'utility' (can have a dedicated sub osc now rather than having to use one of the analog engine's oscs), new filter, new FX, new wavetables/presets...quite the update! Also on sale for new users for $100 ($70 if you own any other Arturia products, including past free giveaways I believe). Pigments has slowly been becoming my most used/favorite synth plugins.

Red Means Recording has a great rundown of what Pigments can do and how to use it (this is pre-version 3): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcaEIjiwaCmTNpxE_TNVgt-gy5bTXxqZF

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Splinter posted:

Also on sale for new users for $100 ($70 if you own any other Arturia products, including past free giveaways I believe)

I don't need another synth I don't need another synth I don't need another synth I don't need another synth I don't need another synth I don't need another synth I don't need another synth

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Plugin Boutique has Iris 2 for $15:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/prod...u223-KKW0KqWKT8

I can't claim to have spent enough time with this and Pigments 3 to give an in depth comparison, but Iris 2 has been a lot of fun to play around with -- I've certainly gotten at least $15 worth of fun out of it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That's odd cos I was just thinking how Pigments 3 has probably replaced Iris 2 (which I got on sale for about a tenner) for me.
However...
I fully intend to point Pigments at the Iris 2 sample library cos that has some great stuff in it so for 15 bucks it's worth it for them alone I reckon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iris 2 plus Serum, along with my old M-Tron installation has given me everything I could ever want.

Like I don't even want to look up Pigments, because I am well-aware that I'd want it, and would truly believe that I'd need it.

Where I am right now is the very rare and highly sought after 'good with what I have' plateau.

I do not know how much longer I can stay here.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

every time i use a wave table synth i always end up defaulting to the basic shapes wavetable and treating it like any old oscillator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I need to learn Iris 2 better. Does anyone have any good resources on it?