Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wasn't Alyx pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anatomi posted:

Wasn't Alyx pretty good?
It's pretty widely regarded by VR headset-havers as being real good, yeah. Granted, that's not the biggest audience, but the question of whether a new Half-Life game would even be decent has been pretty decisively answered.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fame Douglas posted:

Even if it were confirmed, there's no indication Valve is still capable of making a good game.

They just did last year lol

Speaking of Half Life Alyx, this absolute madlad turning it into a m+kb controlled game since it launched has been making hella progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvhyHWECcE

"Why would anyone do this" "missing the point of VR" blah blah because it's neat and he can.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not interested in games built around a hardware gimmick primarily. There's no indication Valve is still capable of making a good real game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alyx is a great showing for VR but it would not have had a great reception if they had released it as a traditional game.

It doesn’t really do anything interesting for the FPS genre in general, and, of course, tosses you into a multi-hour long sewer section almost immediately.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm not interested in games built around a hardware gimmick primarily. There's no indication Valve is still capable of making a good real game.

I don't understand this line of thinking. I don't have a VR set, I don't really dig VR all that much, and I played through HLA and it's a fun and well paced shooter. How is it not a "real game?" You think a bunch of programmers, artists, animators, and designers worked their asses off just to make a tech demo? For four fuckin' years? That's ridiculous. Like, I get it, you're not convinced of VR, neither am I, but to somehow think it's not a "real game" is silly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
VR-exclusive games have a (brief, but substantial) history of being shallow tech-demo games with good assets. If a person's asking for Half Life 3, they're expecting a modern FPS game that takes advantage of over 15 years of game dev experience, not HL2 with higher fidelity assets (and/or VR-exclusive gimmicks).

I don't give a flying gently caress about Half Life, it's not my pony, but people being critical of HL:A is perfectly fair. Doom 4 was five years ago and a billion indie retro shooters have been flooding Steam, people have raised standards for their fps tastes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NOT
A REAL
GAME

All games are really designed around the hardware. That's a a fact. If games were still played in a Pong-like controller (one of those old one that was just a control which would turn left or right), we wouldn't have FPS. Strategy games has never had a strong presence on consoles because lack of mouse and DPI/distance of the screens. etc

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 15, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm not saying being critical of HLA is a bad thing or being irked that it's a VR exclusive title isn't valid, I'm saying that dismissing it entirely and somehow thinking it's not a real game because of the hardware it's on is absurd. Like I said, it's not like it was just slapped together with "HL2 assets but higher fidelity." The developer's commentary shows they put just as much insight and thought into the levels, game flow, etc as they would any other title.

Doom 4 was 5 years ago.....yes? And?? Should HLA play like it or something? I don't understand the comparison. First person shooters are allowed to be many different kinds of things. :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FPS brethren and sistren, I am trying to decide between Project Warlock and Void Bastards on the Switch. Suggestions?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not played anything past the demo for Warlock, the simplistic monsters turned me off, maybe someone else can recommend it.

Void Bastards I enjoyed a lot, but be aware that it as an expiration date and you'll only get one, maaybe two good playthroughs of it (~20 hours each). Super fun while it lasted.

--------------------

edit: Re: HLA, that "not a game" comment is from the other fellow not me, of course it's a game. My doom 4 comment was about how much doom changed + improved in 10 years between Doom3&4, while if you stripped away the audio from the HL:A trailers you could have sold it as HL:Ep3, it really wasn't doing anything adventurous with the design/gameplay outside of VR stuff. The HL community's eagerness for the next installment is well known [/mocked], so I'm not surprised that using the IP for low-hanging (if well-polished) fruit was upsetting.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 15, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

\
Void Bastards I enjoyed a lot, but be aware that it as an expiration date and you'll only get one, maaybe two good playthroughs of it (~20 hours each). Super fun while it lasted.

You mean it gets stale or ....?

I found that it needed more enemy and ship types.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. I don't have a VR set, I don't really dig VR all that much, and I played through HLA and it's a fun and well paced shooter. How is it not a "real game?" You think a bunch of programmers, artists, animators, and designers worked their asses off just to make a tech demo? For four fuckin' years? That's ridiculous. Like, I get it, you're not convinced of VR, neither am I, but to somehow think it's not a "real game" is silly.

It's Fame Douglas.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Flannelette posted:

You mean it gets stale or ....?

I found that it needed more enemy and ship types.

I think there's a DLC that addressed that exact concern. But to me, the game gets about one solid playthrough as you finally "click" on how to play the game and understand what the threats are, then rapidly power through the final few missions to complete the plot. There's like, not much reason to go back and play it a second time unless you really want to unlock 'cheevos or challenge gimmick runs. But that's ok! 20 hours of great fun is good enough.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

FPS brethren and sistren, I am trying to decide between Project Warlock and Void Bastards on the Switch. Suggestions?

project warlock is great, i really enjoyed it with the exception of a few of the bosses (though the final boss freezing my switch for a good 10 seconds processing a BFG explosion was a highlight). get one or two spells and spend all the rest of your upgrade points on the guns because they're way better and cooler than the spells or melee.

void bastards is also good but once you've filled out most of the upgrade tree there's not much meat left on the game, i beat it in like 7-8 hours and have never felt compelled to play it again, while project warlock is fun to fire up and play through on higher difficulties.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thank you for your help, all. I'd likely go towards Project Warlock, but now I'm seeing that the Serious Sam Collection is also on sale and while I've never really played 3, I do love TFE and TSE.

Gah, why so many things on sale at once?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know I have not been called out but I think I am extremely rationally and reasonably angry that I still have to go through loving sewer levels in modern games

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Game devs just have their minds in the gutter.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If they were to make HL3.. where would they find college age game modders to fill their team? Surely all the quake people are gone by now. ;)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Project Warlock is super bad and is one of the ugliest first person shooters I've ever played, not to mention horrible optimalisation they did. I don't understand how game with less graphical fidelity and simpler architecture than Doom runs like an absolute rear end on 4 core CPU with GPU that lets Dusk work with all bells and whistles on. The only reason I can think of, is the godawful implementation of :pcgaming: fancy shaders :pcgaming: I do not believe it will work better on a console. avoid avoid avoid

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kazvall posted:

If they were to make HL3.. where would they find college age game modders to fill their team? Surely all the quake people are gone by now. ;)

Based on Arcane Dimensions they probably could find Quake mappers. I’m not in tune with the community to know whether they are all crusty greybeards though. Doomworld has seen an influx of seemingly younger folks after the site redesign so it probably does have mappers in that age bracket.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So far Serious Sam 4 is much, much better than BFE but that's not exactly a high bar to clear. Some weird issues with it though. Where are the footstep sounds?? Why are the character models so ugly? Why are the jokes not terrible?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

laserghost posted:

Project Warlock is super bad and is one of the ugliest first person shooters I've ever played, not to mention horrible optimalisation they did. I don't understand how game with less graphical fidelity and simpler architecture than Doom runs like an absolute rear end on 4 core CPU with GPU that lets Dusk work with all bells and whistles on. The only reason I can think of, is the godawful implementation of :pcgaming: fancy shaders :pcgaming: I do not believe it will work better on a console. avoid avoid avoid

I'm running an old 760m and while neither game performs great, I think Project Warlock runs slightly better than Dusk on my machine. I have to run Warlock with some graphical effects off and Dusk at a lower resolution (though in some ways that suits it?). It's still ridiculous that these games look like they're from the early to mid 90s but run like crap on a machine that gets insane framerates on Quake 3 stuff. I blame Unity.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So far Serious Sam 4 is much, much better than BFE but that's not exactly a high bar to clear. Some weird issues with it though. Where are the footstep sounds?? Why are the character models so ugly? Why are the jokes not terrible?

It’s definitely a much better game than BFE. I don’t know if I’ll ever play it again but they fixed many of the issues I had with it release, so there’s that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

laserghost posted:

it runs fine on switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

it runs fine on switch

Yeah, I just watched a Switch specific review and they said aside from a brief moment near the end, everything was super smooth.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It’s definitely a much better game than BFE. I don’t know if I’ll ever play it again but they fixed many of the issues I had with it release, so there’s that.

Yeah I'm definitely enjoying myself but I can feel it's going to be a one and done game. I wish Croteam would stop making prequels already though! :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Project Warlock is prety impressive given that it was done by a single dev, a teenager, but... yeah, after 90 minutes, it got old.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Project Warlock is great if you hop into a level or two every now and then. It gets repetitive quick, but that goes for a large chunk of retro FPS' anyway.

It also has a bizarre upgrade system that can totally screw over the player, so be wary of that.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/bsp_overviews/status/1382785819845533697?s=21
Loving this account.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This kid pushes from ivy, out middle, through our connector like a SPEED DEMON!!!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Project Warlock is very easy to break over your knee with the right weapon mods. I kinda used spells here and there, mostly the ammo regenerating spell once I got it, but they're there if you want to use them. Just expect a lot of environments with sharp right angles.

Serious Sam 3 was. . . fine. Fine for what it was, because it very much becomes a Serious Sam game as it goes on, but everything new they tried to implement in it was done much better in Sam 4. I guess if you wanted to have Serious Sam on Switch that collection would be okay to get. But Sam 4 is still pretty great.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Serephina posted:

VR-exclusive games have a (brief, but substantial) history of being shallow tech-demo games with good assets. If a person's asking for Half Life 3, they're expecting a modern FPS game that takes advantage of over 15 years of game dev experience
Counterpoint - the FPS genre has not advanced at all in 15 years.

laserghost posted:

Project Warlock is super bad and is one of the ugliest first person shooters I've ever played, not to mention horrible optimalisation they did. I don't understand how game with less graphical fidelity and simpler architecture than Doom runs like an absolute rear end on 4 core CPU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

It's not an engine fault.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not an engine fault.

Yeah, there are smooth games from Unity and janky games from UE. It's down to the developer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It will never stop being funny how Unity sabotaged their own reputation by only mandating MADE WITH UNITY splashes on the cheap/free licenses that small inexperienced studios (and outright shovelware developers) tend to use

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

repiv posted:

It will never stop being funny how Unity sabotaged their own reputation by only mandating MADE WITH UNITY splashes on the cheap/free licenses that small inexperienced studios (and outright shovelware developers) tend to use

Huh, I never thought of that. That is kind of hilarious, not exactly the brand association you want.

I paid for a license solely to get rid of the splash screen. Even for my solo game cause I just thought it screamed "amateur hour".

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Seconding that. Dusk and most other New Blood published games are Unity and run just fine.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I didn't finish Doom Eternal. I've beaten Project Warlock a few times. I don't know if that's a statement on anything but enh. I like PW for the same reason I'll relaunch Wolf 3D- it's fun mowing down those sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didnt dusk take like 2 years to get ported to unity