Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks again! Should Be all good then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Looks like the track day thread is long since dead. By any chance, is anyone here doing the Ridesmart event at COTA this weekend?

I'll be in the novice group on Sunday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I want to mark a bolt’s position to see if it’s coming undone over time, what kind of marker do I use? My OEM bolts have the same style marks and I think it would be great to be able to do that with my brake banjos once I replace them.

Like am I overthinking it? Is it just a sharpie? Whatever OEM used seems to be heavy duty as it’s survived washes, lubes, etc.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Martytoof posted:

If I want to mark a bolt’s position to see if it’s coming undone over time, what kind of marker do I use? My OEM bolts have the same style marks and I think it would be great to be able to do that with my brake banjos once I replace them.

Like am I overthinking it? Is it just a sharpie? Whatever OEM used seems to be heavy duty as it’s survived washes, lubes, etc.

Sharpie or paint pen... Depending on what solvents of any are ever applied to the area.

I had a yellow harbor freight paint pen for that purpose on my KTM 625SMC paint shaker for that purpose. (Also copious loctite and some safety wire on the oil filter.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is engineer's paint pen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Nail varnish will do the same trick if you're on a budget (obviously being careful not to get it on plastics).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I noticed this while washing the bike today. This is "get new wheel bearings," right? (Has sound.)

https://i.imgur.com/bQIwRWs.mp4

I am basically squeezing the brake rotor and the fork leg and there's about 0.5mm of play between the wheel and the fork. It's not just the rotor floating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stonk:

Yes, replace the bearings

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah over the last few months I've been noticing a bit of a judder now and then while coming to a stop, but I've barely been riding thanks to *gestures* so this is the first time in like a year that I've really gone over the bike and tuned everything up. And this is definitely new. lol

e: oh and don't forget to lubricate your cables now and then. I hadn't done it in probably 2 years and man I forgot how smooth the clutch is supposed to feel

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 5, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol holy poo poo. That would've made for some interesting steering.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jealous of your extra suspension.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What do people do with motorcycle titles that are sold only as titles ? For instance, I’ve recently seen a state issued Harley that appeared to be filled out and dated sometime in the 80s for $500 and sell instantly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

What do people do with motorcycle titles that are sold only as titles ? For instance, I’ve recently seen a state issued Harley that appeared to be filled out and dated sometime in the 80s for $500 and sell instantly.

custom choppers would be my guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Titles let you get a license plate. Never have I ever seen a cop or anyone verify a physical title against a frame, or the vin on a frame against the one listed for the license plate.

Someone plating a title-less bike would be my guess.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I noticed this while washing the bike today. This is "get new wheel bearings," right? (Has sound.)

https://i.imgur.com/bQIwRWs.mp4

I am basically squeezing the brake rotor and the fork leg and there's about 0.5mm of play between the wheel and the fork. It's not just the rotor floating.

It's like an AK47 now it functions better because of the loose tolerances :stonk:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Titles let you get a license plate. Never have I ever seen a cop or anyone verify a physical title against a frame, or the vin on a frame against the one listed for the license plate.

Someone plating a title-less bike would be my guess.

I would of course never encourage giving the middle finger to such a grand empire :911: but if victimless crimes blow your hair back and you own two bikes and have only one registration you're going to be fine just swapping that plate between them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

With the whole Vermont registration trick, you don’t really need much plate fuckery these days anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I live in Vermont and I have like 9 bikes and I don't own a single bike new enough to need a title in Vermont. The Vermont DMV gives so few shits, it's kind of bizarre. Is it 16 years old? No title. Under 300cc? No title. Light blue? No title. Made in Slovenia? No title.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I honestly believe Vermont knows they’re the only state that does what they do and they like the cash flow.

Seriously when I registered my RV90 the company that did it (International Title Sevices) had to do all kinds of weird poo poo including power of attorney with regards to the title just to get it registered, it took like 3 months and cost hundreds of dollars

There used to be other states with title loopholes, like main, Nevada and Louisiana, but they’ve all closed them over the years.

Vermont is almost laughably easy, relatively cheap, and literally everyone who needs a title turns to them. They probably have the most profitable DMV in the US

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 6, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I honestly believe Vermont knows they’re the only state that does what they do and they like the cash flow.

Seriously when I registered my RV90 the company that did it (International Title Sevices) had to do all kinds of weird poo poo including power of attorney with regards to the title just to get it registered, it took like 3 months and cost hundreds of dollars

There used to be other states with title loopholes, like main, Nevada and Louisiana, but they’ve all closed them over the years.

Vermont is almost laughably easy, relatively cheap, and literally everyone who needs a title turns to them. They probably have the most profitable DMV in the US

North Dakota still, I think? I don't know because around here certain riding areas recognize VT plates but not others (although I've always wondered about this - can't imagine actually getting turned away with some other plate).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I think it's South Dakota that had the "get a title and plate issued for your off-road only bike" loophole, was pretty popular with motard dudes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I'd say these bearings are shot lol

https://i.imgur.com/Z0ukIdY.mp4

I kinda wanna pry one apart to see what it looks like inside.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just flick the seals out with a pick or small screwdriver.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Considering picking up a 2014 bike with only 1500 km. This basically means it's sat for 7 years with almost no activity. It's not exactly a barn find either though, appears to be in perfect condition. Aside from flushing all the fluids and changing the tires, what should I be scared of?

It's a Sportster with EFI, no gummed up carbs to worry about.

Tank rust?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

epswing posted:

Considering picking up a 2014 bike with only 1500 km. This basically means it's sat for 7 years with almost no activity. It's not exactly a barn find either though, appears to be in perfect condition. Aside from flushing all the fluids and changing the tires, what should I be scared of?

Tank rust?

Sat on the owners property or the dealership? Not that I trust dealerships but they'd be more likely to refresh the fluids.

Barring any serious PO malfeasance there should not be any bad problems like tank rust or rusty brown poo in the brakes, but every single fluid should be flushed and replaced. Tires should be replaced because of age. Other than that I bet it's fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

Tank rust?

When you do the fluids make triple sure you're using the right brake juice. Harleys come with birth dot4 and dot5 systems, they are very not compatible, there is no rhyme or reason to which bike has what kind as far as I can tell.

Also the drive belt will gently caress out on the first long journey so I'd replace that preemptively.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Also the drive belt will gently caress out on the first long journey so I'd replace that preemptively.

I actually happen to have an extra in-box OEM drive belt that I was going to use on a previous sportster, but it’s also a few years old. Do drive belts time out, similar to tires? If so, is it a slow process that would show signs before failure?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

I actually happen to have an extra in-box OEM drive belt that I was going to use on a previous sportster, but it’s also a few years old. Do drive belts time out, similar to tires? If so, is it a slow process that would show signs before failure?

They seem to last much longer when they're used constantly, if the bike has stood still for literal years then it's guaranteed to be hosed. Sometimes you can see them cracking but most of the time the only warning you get is when a few teeth go missing. They don't expire sitting on a shelf afaik.

Another thing I would plan on doing is the clutch fibers, they'll be weakened from cementing themselves together over the years, the brass rivet center plate will probably blow. It is much, much cheaper and easier to spend $100 on some fibers than to replace the whole basket assembly.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
OK, thanks. So it sounds like:

Engine oil
Primary oil
Fork oil
Front/rear brake fluid
Clutch plates
Drive belt
Tires

As a rule, I flush the fluids on every used bike I've picked up (except in one case where a seller had receipts from the dealership), but the other stuff... how many km per year do you guys figure will actually keep a bike in good working order?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think you need to change the fork oil. The rest of that list seems reasonable.

New battery too of course, but I assume you were just taking that for granted

epswing posted:

how many km per year do you guys figure will actually keep a bike in good working order?

like 1000 if you spread it out properly (50 kilometers twice a month should at least keep things moving)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 15, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also didn't there used to be a specific tires thread?

Place down the street from me has these sets of tires that fit my CL

I kinda like the chunky old fashioned block tread look considering it's a 50 year old scrambler. It basically never sees more than 70mph because the suspension is terrifying above that speed. Any reason to NOT get either the Dunlops or the Metzelers for this application?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the mileage isn't the thing, it's the frequency of drive cycles. By drive cycle I mean the engine gets fully warm, the tyres and suspension and brakes get warm and everything has a chance to circulate and lubricate. It doesn't really matter how far you go as long as you're doing the full cycle. You need to be doing this about once a month to keep everything mint, less frequently that that and you'll see some deterioration.

Sagebrush posted:

Also didn't there used to be a specific tires thread?

Place down the street from me has these sets of tires that fit my CL

I kinda like the chunky old fashioned block tread look considering it's a 50 year old scrambler. It basically never sees more than 70mph because the suspension is terrifying above that speed. Any reason to NOT get either the Dunlops or the Metzelers for this application?

You are smarter than picking tyres based on their wow cool appearance, those tread patterns are ancient and deadly, it's like wearing a leather skull cap for a helmet because it looks period correct aka a really dumb way to add shitloads of danger for no reason. Get the most modern tyres that fit. I would go for those bt45's as they still look nice and are an excellent piece of rubber, I've ridden several 80's Japanese shitters with those and they are perfectly suited to that type of old, wobbly bike.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 15, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was curious whether the tread patterns actually make that significant a difference in street use, considering that every manufacturer has their own house style and the real innovation over the decades appears to be in compounds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The tread pattern isn't the only thing different about those, they have old style construction and profiles that suuuuuck baalllls it is seriously not worth it unless you're going to be doing concourse restoration or vintage shows or whatever, that's who those are made for not people who actually ride the bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bleh, that's lame.

The Bridgestones look fine, I just like the look of the chunky square tread so if there was no downside then why not. Oh well.

Also this is the only place I can go for actual useful tire information because holy poo poo. Ask ten people and you'll get twenty anecdotes and twelve different entirely contradictory opinions and everyone's convinced that everyone else is an idiot. It's worse than oil.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah cause you can't feel it when you change oil brands.

I'm super biased (pirelli and bridgestone and sometimes dunlop are the only good tyres) but I try to keep that in mind and be objective, like with everything. Except ktm.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

I try to keep that in mind and be objective, like with everything. Except ktm.

And anime.

Edit: hey anyone ever used one of these? How'd that work out?

Strife fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 15, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Strife posted:

And anime.

A hitch rack or that specific hitch rack?

It depends on your bike and the vehicle.

Hitch racks are fine if your vehicle has a good enough receiver that can support the weight of the bike and rack and good ground clearance/suspension. Putting 300+ lbs that far behind your rear axle will give you some negative rake (rear sag/front lift) and might unweight the front of your car making it feel a bit floaty at high speeds. Also watch departure angle as you'll likely scrape the hitch rack coming out of steep driveways but the vehicle and it's ground clearance will be the biggest factor. Universally, a hitch stabilizer/tightener/anti rattle clamp will make it way more secure.

I use one (not that exact one) for my dirt bike on my 4runner and it works great. My bike only weighs 240lbs though so a heavier bike might feel different and I might not trust it the closer you get to it's 500lb max. I even notice a bit of front lift with that might of a bike back there at highway speeds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

And anime.

What I can tell you is that if you build your own hitch rack out of 2x4’s and angle iron and attach it to a 1985 Plymouth Caravelle and use it to haul a 1960’s Arctic Cat mini bike from MKE to the UP it will irreparably flatten the gently caress out of your suspension, leading to perma rear end dragging. Gets the job done though

Ask my dad.

That’s pretty specific and may not be applicable to your situation, however

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Verman posted:

A hitch rack or that specific hitch rack?

It depends on your bike and the vehicle.

Just in general. I'm going to use it to move my KLX230 around with my WK2 Jeep, so weight shouldn't be too much of a concern. The Jeep has an adjustable air ride, so I assume it can compensate for the bike/hitch rack well enough. I ordered that specific one, and reviews on Revzilla seemed positive enough, with the only major complaint being the tilt stabilizer and someone trying to haul their Ninja around.

Good point on the ground clearance and general highway floatiness though. I'm going up to ME at the end of the month, and it's about 4 hours of highway driving, so I'll be careful.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I can tell you is that if you build your own hitch rack out of 2x4’s and angle iron and attach it to a 1985 Plymouth Caravelle and use it to haul a 1960’s Arctic Cat mini bike from MKE to the UP it will irreparably flatten the gently caress out of your suspension, leading to perma rear end dragging. Gets the job done though

Ask my dad.

That’s pretty specific and may not be applicable to your situation, however

Quality engineering has nothing on the sheer determination of our ancestors, nailing poo poo together and welding it to a wood-paneled station wagon. ABS? Seatbelts? Fuel injection? Ratchet straps? These things mean nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I've only ever used a hitch rack to haul my DRZ and XCW300 around, longest drive was ~5 hours, no problems on a 4runner which only has a load rating of 500 lbs tongue weight