Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Do Tennis players normally provide their own balls for an official match? I thought the organizers would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

I love this dude pensively musing about whether it was really a good idea to get married to some young girl that he knows absolutely nothing about.

Reminds me of Betty's dad in Mad Men yelling about Don, "not having any people."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "21 - Jucika and the Heat"

I really like the chill equal opportunity lewd strips.

"Jucika's Nightly Phonecall"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

The term is 'Cruising', Moominpappa.
Moominpappa also immediately descends into Holbrookian nepotism.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 15, 2021

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 24, 1944)

Gawain is the perfect clown

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Moomin panel borders remain excellent. Loving the safety pins and the gag about Moominpapa needing the medal around his neck because he’s naked, very understated.

Classic Zits

Does anyone still have laundry chutes? Before she moved in with my dad, my stepmom had one in her house. We kids loved playing vertical catch and dropped many random objects into the basement, the chute went up to the second floor as well but we were only allowed to use the ground floor one. Have they gone the way of the dumbwaiter? I absolutely know I would have gotten myself stuck in a dumbwaiter when I was a dumb kid, having an open hole with a ~15 foot drop onto poured concrete seems like the same kind of hazard. But a fun hazard!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 19, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

* For the Ghost Who Abruptly Ends the Call!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This is the first Tinkersons I've liked, and I really like it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, it's canon that the Moomins are always wandering around nude, then.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Does anyone still have laundry chutes? Before she moved in with my dad, my stepmom had one in her house. We kids loved playing vertical catch and dropped many random objects into the basement, the chute went up to the second floor as well but we were only allowed to use the ground floor one. Have they gone the way of the dumbwaiter? I absolutely know I would have gotten myself stuck in a dumbwaiter when I was a dumb kid, having an open hole with a ~15 foot drop onto poured concrete seems like the same kind of hazard. But a fun hazard!
I've only seen one house with a laundry chute. For at least 30 years, the preferred solution to the "laundry location problem" has been to put the laundry room near the bedrooms.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I love your posts, but this Phoebe in particular is utterly delightful and had me giggling like an idiot. I love Infernus. :3:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is there a good reason, besides his own amusement, that the Phantom is juggling so many different identities? And why is he doing such a poor job of it?
"Ernesto, I just talked to a man in sunglasses and shirt about your escape!"
"Did you talk to the 'trusted man'? That sounds like him."
"No, no. This was a different white man wearing sunglasses"
"Do you mean John X?"
"No? John X is a white guy who always wear sunglasses. The man I was talking about is a white guy who always wear sunglasses, try to keep up!"

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

So it has come to this: I have had to spoiler classic Nancy due to racial stereotypes.

Bushmiller doesn't have a particularly good track record on this stuff. I have three Nancy books, covering nine years, and POC are fairly absent. Just about any time a POC appears in the strip, it's usually to make a joke about their appearance, or their language/speech patterns.

Blacks are also fairly absent from the strip, I can only recall one or perhaps two where they are depicted in a circus-related strip as native Africans. Nancy 1946 is a pretty White strip.

Spoilered for Asian stereotypes:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

computer angel posted:

This is the first Tinkersons I've liked, and I really like it.

I also actually laughed at that one.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 01, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Oct. 01, 1944)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

So it has come to this: I have had to spoiler classic Nancy due to racial stereotypes.

Bushmiller doesn't have a particularly good track record on this stuff. I have three Nancy books, covering nine years, and POC are fairly absent. Just about any time a POC appears in the strip, it's usually to make a joke about their appearance, or their language/speech patterns.

Blacks are also fairly absent from the strip, I can only recall one or perhaps two where they are depicted in a circus-related strip as native Africans. Nancy 1946 is a pretty White strip.

As much as its a stereotype, pekingese dogs are specifically, and legitimately associated with the large sleeves she's imitating here.

They were bred that small to be used as living sleeve warmers for qing dynasty royalty (who were the only ones who could legally own them). The stereotypical large sleeves were part of the official court dress for those same qing dynasty courtiers. You'd keep a dog in your sleeves because beijing winters were cold.

The addition of a fake race hat renders that excuse null and void, because a rice hat was piece of peasant clothing to avoid sunburn.

And that's too say nothing of how gilchrist drew Nancy's face here.

But you know, accidentally getting one thing right is pretty good, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We're nowhere near Gilchrist.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

goatface posted:

We're nowhere near Gilchrist.

According to Wiki, he wouldn't even be born for another eleven years after this strip.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Powered Descent posted:

According to Wiki, he wouldn't even be born for another eleven years after this strip.

drat, he was precocious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

The term is 'Cruising', Moominpappa.
Moominpappa also immediately descends into Holbrookian nepotism.

My granddad had this job in England just after The War, Had to crack down on poachers what with rationing and all, and from what I hear he did a good job of it. Of course it would look improper if he did any hunting on his own as the guy in charge of regulating it, so the locals would share some of what they got. All completely on the up and up, I'm sure.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dad's not really wrong here, but the way he takes delight in smashing Mike's dreams makes me hate him. Yeah, the kid should learn to be responsible, but let him have his teenage fantasy.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Dad's not really wrong here, but the way he takes delight in smashing Mike's dreams makes me hate him. Yeah, the kid should learn to be responsible, but let him have his teenage fantasy.
Agreed. You can bring up him getting a job at a more neutral time, not when he's in the middle of being excited about turning 16! :argh:

:allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Asian Stereotype aside, that sad dog face is cracking me up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The house I grew up in had a laundry chute, but it was built in like the twenties. You could get laundry stuck in it if you tried to shove too much stuff down the chute at once.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

"Also I'm mad as a hatter!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Torsden gonna get hosed up

Also when are we going to get to the surgeon?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Green Intern posted:

Asian Stereotype aside, that sad dog face is cracking me up.

There is a hilarious frog I gotta dig up from the 1943 strips

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CommonShore posted:

Torsden gonna get hosed up

Also when are we going to get to the surgeon?

The Surgeon is the narrator and a framing device who appears in the beginning of each book and during intermissions. There's some neat banter between him and his listeners, but those segments are not plot-critical, so it's understandable that they were cut.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

My parents' house has a door in the bathroom you can open up with a laundry chute to the basement. It's not really a metal one though, it's almost like a long wooden fenced in box with a floor about 4 feet above the floor itself. Sometimes the cat would go into it and you'd hear her meow from down there.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September 21, 1991)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: An inauspicious beginning, or Can it really be a proper ford if you don't have twelve grandfather clocks in one wagon?, or Blueberry thinks on his feet

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Dad saying Michael should get a job is even more of a jerk move because of last summer, when the parents wanted to ship Michael off to a relative's farm without asking him if he still wanted to go. Michael didn't want to do so and leave behind his girlfriend, so the parents said they won't make him go if he could find a job. Then Michael did find a job in his aunt's boyfriend's pub, but the parents didn't let him work there for classist reasons.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I like how Lottie's drawing of a werewolf looks almost exactly like her drawing of Archibald.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

Dad saying Michael should get a job is even more of a jerk move because of last summer, when the parents wanted to ship Michael off to a relative's farm without asking him if he still wanted to go. Michael didn't want to do so and leave behind his girlfriend, so the parents said they won't make him go if he could find a job. Then Michael did find a job in his aunt's boyfriend's pub, but the parents didn't let him work there for classist reasons.

I may not remember a particular detail but at the risk of defending FOOB there are reasons other than classism to not want a 14/15 year old to work at a bar

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

drat, he was precocious.

Left emotional scars so big they defy time and space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

I had forgotten about that. It also pissed me off, not so much for the classist reasons but because it was so heavy handed and they got mad at him for getting mad at their lovely parenting.