Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

aaron ehasz is literally the creator and head writer of the show lol

Ah right. Actually I forget, is it confirmed now that he will no longer be involved in the remainder of the show?

Also how many seasons is the show supposed to be in total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

The 7th Guest posted:

amphibia is ending

Is it? Granted, I haven't been keeping up with the show as much as I'd like to, but I know it's been renewed through Season 3 at least.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Is it? Granted, I haven't been keeping up with the show as much as I'd like to, but I know it's been renewed through Season 3 at least.
in a reddit AMA Braly confirmed season 3 is the final season

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Ah right. Actually I forget, is it confirmed now that he will no longer be involved in the remainder of the show?

Also how many seasons is the show supposed to be in total?

He's still involved and the show is getting 7 or 8 seasons total iirc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

He's still involved and the show is getting 7 or 8 seasons total iirc.

Ah. So did the allegations turn out to be false then or what?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

Ah. So did the allegations turn out to be false then or what?
it turns out that working for an offshoot of the notoriously sexist company Riot Games means facing no consequences

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

it turns out that working for an offshoot of the notoriously sexist company Riot Games means facing no consequences

Well that sucks. I did like the show though so I’m kind of torn at the moment, we’ll see how it goes I guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say I wouldn't count Tangled as like "prestige-animation". It was pretty heavily episodic, even though a few episodes each season carried enough drama to make you nearly forget that. The songs were drat good though, and I really want to see somebody try to follow that up.

I think part of the issue is that there's not really a lot of companies making cartoons, so if you get depressed over Disney's arbitrary three-season rule, Nickelodeon's mostly abandoned the field (although Rise of TMNT was real good), and you're sort of just left with Netflix and Cartoon Network/HBO Max, and I think the latter is still in a bit of a slump from having frozen plans while the merger was in question.

Netflix has like five million projects in the works, but they're kinda split and it's hard to think of them as ongoing because they get dumped onto the platform all at once and then you get an unclear wait for the next season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd say I wouldn't count Tangled as like "prestige-animation". It was pretty heavily episodic, even though a few episodes each season carried enough drama to make you nearly forget that. The songs were drat good though, and I really want to see somebody try to follow that up.

I think part of the issue is that there's not really a lot of companies making cartoons, so if you get depressed over Disney's arbitrary three-season rule, Nickelodeon's mostly abandoned the field (although Rise of TMNT was real good), and you're sort of just left with Netflix and Cartoon Network/HBO Max, and I think the latter is still in a bit of a slump from having frozen plans while the merger was in question.

Netflix has like five million projects in the works, but they're kinda split and it's hard to think of them as ongoing because they get dumped onto the platform all at once and then you get an unclear wait for the next season.

I would say Tangled is prestige like 30 Rock and Arrested Development were prestige. The have overarching and recurring plotlines interspersed with episodic plots.

We are ending a big era of prestige cartoons whichh more strongly serialized plots but interspersed with the same episodic elements as above. (Though I'd say it started with AtLA and not Adventure Time). But part of the end of that era is because of the shifting towards Streaming and refocusing on what works for the new medium and the new generation. Owl House is still running though production of S2 I believe so that's still kicking but remember that this also conincides with Covid basically eviscerating the entertainment industry so we may still be in that first era, just at a lull due to real life gumming up the works.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
What is the animated kid show equivalent to the Sopranos? Discuss.

(Obviously it’s Gumball)

Edit: No, wait. It’s Steven Universe. It wasn’t the first prestige cartoon but it was one of the most influential early ones. It features family drama, mental problems, and the main character has a body count.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 15, 2021

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

readingatwork posted:

What is the animated kid show equivalent to the Sopranos? Discuss.

(Obviously it’s Gumball)

Edit: No, wait. It’s Steven Universe. It wasn’t the first prestige cartoon but it was one of the most influential early ones. It features family drama, mental problems, and the main character has a body count.

Recess

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Fillmore.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The 7th Guest posted:

in a reddit AMA Braly confirmed season 3 is the final season

I honestly kind of expected that: Disney has almost always plotted their animated series within the traditional 65 episode framework for syndication, which usually leads to shows lasting for less than five seasons. This has held true even for their more recent works: Gravity Falls ran for 2 seasons (Though this was largely the decision of Alex Hirsch, I think it was the plan for the get-go for the series to only run for 3 seasons), Wander Over Yonder ran for 2, Star Vs the Forces of Evil for 4, and Ducktales for 3. With the rate the story's been going, three seasons seems about right to wrap up the plot threads they've introduced, and I'm kind of cool with that? I love the hell out of Amphibia and I'm rather have three seasons that are really good instead of ten seasons that are mostly meh.

The 7th Guest posted:

uhh sonic prime lol

I mean, I thought Sonic Boom had some pretty good moments, though I think the quality of this new Sonic series is going to depend heavily on which of the various tones the series has taken over the years they're going to adhere to. Any time they try to do SERIOUS PLOT STUFF FOR SERIOUS HEDGEHOGS with Sonic it just doesn't end up working (yes that includes Sonic SATAM, that show sucked fight me irl!)

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 15, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i laugh because it's by the same team that did the CG Megaman cartoon from 2 years ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

KingKalamari posted:

I honestly kind of expected that: Disney has almost always plotted their animated series within the traditional 65 episode framework for syndication, which usually leads to shows lasting for less than five seasons. This has held true even for their more recent works: Gravity Falls ran for 2 seasons (Though this was largely the decision of Alex Hirsch, I think it was the plan for the get-go for the series to only run for 3 seasons), Wander Over Yonder ran for 2, Star Vs the Forces of Evil for 4, and Ducktales for 3. With the rate the story's been going, three seasons seems about right to wrap up the plot threads they've introduced, and I'm kind of cool with that? I love the hell out of Amphibia and I'm rather have three seasons that are really good instead of ten seasons that are mostly meh.

I mean, I thought Sonic Boom had some pretty good moments, though I think the quality of this new Sonic series is going to depend heavily on which of the various tones the series has taken over the years they're going to adhere to. Any time they try to do SERIOUS PLOT STUFF FOR SERIOUS HEDGEHOGS with Sonic it just doesn't end up working (yes that includes Sonic SATAM, that show sucked fight me irl!)

Not to mention while going past the 65 episodes/3 seasons limit has worked in the past for them(Kim Possible and Phineas & Ferb both going for 4 seasons) it's also blown up in their faces fairly recently too(both Star Wars Rebels and Star Vs got 4 seasons and both underperformed during their respective final seasons), so not surprising that they're switching back to a safer format

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The 7th Guest posted:

i laugh because it's by the same team that did the CG Megaman cartoon from 2 years ago

I really kinda-but-not-really wanna give this one a go because at some point I saw it got a comic book set after the show ended and it was grimdark as hell (Megaman doesn't trust Light anymore, starts remembering how he was a tool of war that Light used to kill a ton of robots during a war. The prototype, Namagem, waxing poetic about what it means to live) and I wanna know if that's something they were slowly building towards like so many cartoons nowadays with fun episodic stuff and deep lore in the back, or if they just decided to go that way in the comic for shits and giggles.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

:hai:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Filmore! owned. Loved the silence of the lambs parody and investigating the canadian school's illegal substance problem :P

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Elliot from Earth continues to be good. Up to episode 9 now and it’s fallen into a very Hitchhiker’s Guide sort of feel, which I don’t hate.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Elliot from Earth continues to be good. Up to episode 9 now and it’s fallen into a very Hitchhiker’s Guide sort of feel, which I don’t hate.

Yeah, as a choice of atmosphere, it's mostly harmless.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m two episodes into the new Infinity Train, and I’m impressed with it so far. They put dust pops on it like it’s period cell animation, which I don’t think they did for the other seasons. Niki Yang also does some incidental voices that all sound like BMO.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, as a choice of atmosphere, it's mostly harmless.

Boooooo

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Owen Dennis, creator of Infinity Train, is holding an AMA right now

https://old.reddit.com/r/InfinityTrain/comments/mrrwrm/i_am_owen_dennis_creator_of_infinity_train_on/

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m two episodes into the new Infinity Train, and I’m impressed with it so far. They put dust pops on it like it’s period cell animation, which I don’t think they did for the other seasons. Niki Yang also does some incidental voices that all sound like BMO.

i watched season 3 yesterday there's film grain on there too

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
My favorite part of Infinity Train Book 4 is in episode 1 when the main characters circle Buffalo, NY on a map and shout "New York City!!!"

because let me tell you, I've lived in both and even NYC folk have no idea where Buffalo is in relation to their own city

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Someone asked one of the man of action guys on twitter where the tone of the new show would be compared to the other cartoons they've made and the response was it's more in the range of Generator Rex

So probably serious-ish, with a mix of lighter episodic stuff and maybe an overarching plot?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

aaron ehasz is literally the creator and head writer of the show lol

what happened? they made a big stink over him and then just quietly swept everything under the rug and pretended nothing happened?

Geo Fixer posted:

One theory I have about why the Snyderverse dc movies have been not the most successful is that we already have the best possible adaptation of these characters on screen already. JL/JLU is an excellent show and the DCAU has still not been matched in sheer quality by any superhero show since.

yeah, it's definitely the best incarnation of that particular franchise, by far.

on the other hand, something that's not as enjoyable that i decided to watch: x-men evolution

since i got disney+ i came across this completely by accident, and decided to give it another shot. and this is a show that imo is pretty difficult to watch. i didn't really like it as a kid, and thought i may appreciate it more after all these years, but nope. which is kind of a shame cause the show has a lot going for it: really good animation, a talented voice cast, decent music (though the theme sucks). but yeah, still not feeling it. and that's mainly due to two reasons: angsty high school drama bullshit, and the dialogue. oh good lord, especially the dialogue in this show is so awful. it makes almost every character so damned insufferable. this is dbz "mondo cool!" level of cringe most of the time. it's 50 year old dudes trying to write how they think teenagers sound.

dunno if i should stick with it. i did hear that it gets better once they move away from the high school hijinks, so...we'll see how that plays out, i guess.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember Mystique and her interactions with Rogue and Nightcrawler being the highlights of that show, because she'd try and help them at times, or at least get them to acknowledge her as their mother, and they'd have mixed feelings because while she technically is correct she still leads a group of idiots called the "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants". I liked when Rogue accidentally touched her and ended up becoming a bunch of the main cast as her power-thieving and her mother's shapeshifting interacted with each other in an unstable mess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It had some neat bits, but most of the show bounced off of me because it was going heavily in the teen angst direction, and that's never really been my thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The 7th Guest posted:

It's honestly not bad, it improves a lot after some early episodes. Like it improved a lot for me, when I learned that Capcom asked Man of Action to do their own thing and not just copy the games.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Someone asked one of the man of action guys on twitter where the tone of the new show would be compared to the other cartoons they've made and the response was it's more in the range of Generator Rex

So probably serious-ish, with a mix of lighter episodic stuff and maybe an overarching plot?

I hope it's not like Generator Rex, I'd like to actually remember it :v:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Geo Fixer posted:

One theory I have about why the Snyderverse dc movies have been not the most successful is that we already have the best possible adaptation of these characters on screen already. JL/JLU is an excellent show and the DCAU has still not been matched in sheer quality by any superhero show since.

I've always believed that if you took the first three episodes of Superman TAS and added an extra hour of material and live auctioned it, you'd EASILY clear $700 to $800 million at the box office and set the stage for an awesome EU. Sadly that's not what happened.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thanks alot assbag posted:

My favorite part of Infinity Train Book 4 is in episode 1 when the main characters circle Buffalo, NY on a map and shout "New York City!!!"

because let me tell you, I've lived in both and even NYC folk have no idea where Buffalo is in relation to their own city

They do end up where they point to on the map at least. It's no Buffalo but Utica

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished the new season. I really liked it. It seems like some minor elements are setup for the fifth season that’s now cancelled, but every season has something like that.

I don’t see how Infinity Train is less kid-friendly than something like Adventure Time, which got real weird and all about people’s issues, to the point where it can’t get two more production seasons, but I guess times change.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

selected quotes from the AMA

quote:

We wrote an Infinity Train movie. It was season 5. They passed on it though because they thought it didn't have a child entry point. The show is over and no one is working on making anymore of it. I'd love to make more, but it's not what Cartoon Network wants to make right now.

It's very unfortunate, however, maybe someday it'll change! Many shows have come back after they've been cancelled because of fan engagement, so anything is possible as long as fans exist.

Q: Can't you just tell us what would've happen in the last 4 books if there's no possibility for renewal, comics or anything like it? XD
A: Not until I've completely given up hope.

... [very general information about hypothetical future seasons]

Q: If a older person were to develop alzheimer’s/dementia on the train and forget why they’re on the train, would they be stuck there?
A: gently caress this is horrifying dude. We did have a season where I wanted to touch on Alzheimers, the final season actually. It was going to be loosely inspired by an autobiography that my grandfather wrote while he was slowly succumbing to it.

Q: What keywords could be used to define the books that could not be published?
A: 5) Grief

6) Guilt

7) Revenge

8) Acceptance

Q: Are there any particular bands that inspired Chicken Choice Judy? Thank you and the crew for all your hard work btw!
A: Yes! We were thinking a lot about the Bangles for their sound. Also, obviously, YMO!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That's a real shame. It'd be nice if HBO Max reconsidered and picked it up independent of CN

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, I'm bummed too. This season teased at some really cool Amelia/One-One stuff that I'd love to see more of, and that's just thinking about the show's lore. The show's writing team overall showed that they know how to make engaging character arcs, and letting them play out over the course of 10 episodes before moving on to new characters. I can't think of any other shows where they let a character's story finish completely before moving on to the next character to focus on. It's a cool idea overall, and it sucks that it has to die because it's not kid-friendly enough?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thanks alot assbag posted:

Yeah, I'm bummed too. This season teased at some really cool Amelia/One-One stuff that I'd love to see more of, and that's just thinking about the show's lore. The show's writing team overall showed that they know how to make engaging character arcs, and letting them play out over the course of 10 episodes before moving on to new characters. I can't think of any other shows where they let a character's story finish completely before moving on to the next character to focus on. It's a cool idea overall, and it sucks that it has to die because it's not kid-friendly enough?

It's not super professional to get paid to make a kids show and then to deliver an episode where someone's face melts off.

I'm all about the art, man, but I can see their point here.

HBO Max should definitely pick the show up.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Apparently the show was being made for HBO Max in the first place, and the only reason why it aired on CN at all was because of HBO Max's launch being delayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

doomrider7 posted:

I've always believed that if you took the first three episodes of Superman TAS and added an extra hour of material and live auctioned it, you'd EASILY clear $700 to $800 million at the box office and set the stage for an awesome EU. Sadly that's not what happened.

I would've much preferred a live action adaptation of World's Finest over Batman v Superman.