Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

KingKalamari posted:

It's really amazing how many of the nitpicks he has with TLJ are things that apply to pretty much every movie in the Star Wars franchise. Like, complaining that the design of the bombers in the opening are unrealistic and are just the designs of WWII-era bombers thrown into space just makes me think "Have you actually seen a Star Wars before?"

Wait until he learns about X-Wings doing dogfights.

He won't. I have a feeling he's both stupid but also trying to feed the culture war beast. Never trust anybody that does a video with Sargon that isn't just 'gently caress you, you suck.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alaois posted:

speaking of game journalists and difficulty settings

https://twitter.com/HakitaDev/status/1382352447151222788

(the lead developer of Ultrakill)

yeah. like i like to laugh at some dude making a game look bad because he can't play for poo poo or is thrown a controler and they take his first 10 min with the game and post it online. but the joke is loving old and not that funny anymore. people are good at different games. if you made me play a souls game or a sports game or 4x strategy game, id suck worse then the polygon doom person.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The weekend after TLJ came out was like a nice day on town before the unexpected meteor hit. Out of a group of 4 friends, I was the one who enjoyed TLJ the most. Even the one that didn't like it still liked talking of what she thought were the better scenes of the movie (Rey in the cave, the throne room fight). People loved it, people hated it. People were mixed. Then the meteor arrived. The reason TLJ hit so hard was because people wedged that polarized reception into the culture war. There was someone on Twitter who made an interesting thread of how the likes of far-right and alt-right figures weaponized the movie as some kind of feminist or woke nuclear weapon. Now they do this with just about every blockbuster but the impact was a lot smaller whenever a movie got critical acclaim and a billion dollars. The last movie before TLJ that got this much fire was the new Ghostbusters. I saw the new Ghostbusters years later. I thought it sucked (although I liked Leslie Jones's character). But I saw it nothing more as a weak attempt to be hip with an old franchise. But at the same time I admire the movie basically began the end of Milo Yiannopoulos's career because he harassed Jones and got banned from Twitter.

People have the right to not like the movie. But holy poo poo are there real bad faith reviewers out there who all seem to have some sort of weird alt-right or alt-lite.

A friend of mine described the sequel trilogy in a way that stuck to me. "The Force Awakens tried to push away the prequels to capture the nostalgia of the classics. The Last Jedi, whether you loved it or hated it, tried something new to the narrative. The Risk of Skywalker tried to push away The Last Jedi to capture more nostalgia. So now you got a trilogy that hates itself."

a Good post.
you can't have like a "i liked it well enough" on TLJ. i mean you can but you may get poo poo on for not taking a "side". like i thought it was pretty good but it had a bunch of issues. but yeah your friend is right about the new trilogy.

DrVenkman posted:

This brings up something interesting. I posted over in TV about it but it's more apt here. I read and largely agree with Angelica Bastien's piece on THEM even though personally I couldn't finish it. But then on Twitter she threw out this, which gave me pause.

https://twitter.com/angelicabastien/status/1382394574140813317?s=19

This, to me, is straying way too close to the idea that there's one true take, and if you don't share it then it's a reflection on you. It's been like this for a while, but modern criticism is really leaning a bit too hard on the worth of something being linked to how much it agrees with your personal politics.

this is the stuff i dislike from the progressive culture critics. like obviously there is legit bad art/media and stuff. but i see this weird "well if you like anything that has problamtic elements, YOUR the bad guy and the sinner" bullshit. it veers way to close to the 90s era lieberman/thompson/satanic panic type moral poo poo for my taste.

fun hater posted:

i like event horizon even though mike is right and it has all those problems and more. the thing is: those problems are in service of what is ultimately a really goofy space horror movie thats a lot of fun above all else even if its dumb as hell. thats why i like it. i love the hanna-barberra sound effects demo reel at the end lmfao

yeah. as the joke has already been made a million times before, its basically 40k the movie. which is probably why i like the ship design.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

TLJ will forever be a perfect storm forever since it is simultaneously excellent and deeply flawed, but people can only pick one side.

TLJ is mid with some good bits just like TFA and the idea that it's controversial is an ongoing psyop against me personally

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think I've ever known faster a movie was going to be poo poo than Rise of Skywalker. Second scene I was already out.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Motto posted:

TLJ is mid with some good bits just like TFA and the idea that it's controversial is an ongoing psyop against me personally

Every Star Wars movie after A New Hope was in some ways controversial. The Empire Strikes Back was polarized when it came out and the backlash made Lucas quit early and wrap it up with Return of the Jedi (which he made more cutsey with the Ewoks after people said ESB was too dark). And then people got polarized with Return of the Jedi because of it rehasing the Death Star plot, the Skywalker sibling reveal and of course the Ewoks.

The reason you don't see people complain about those movies unless you look hard enough was because the internet wasn't there to catalogue and boost every angry opinion. And as the years went on, people looked back on it and said 'Well they weren't too bad and it wrapped up nicely.'. That's going on with the prequels now and at least one of the sequel movies a couple decades down the road.

Bug Squash posted:

TLJ will forever be a perfect storm forever since it is simultaneously excellent and deeply flawed, but people can only pick one side.

I thought the Rey/Luke/Kylo Ren plotline was amazing. Finn/Rose was okay. Holdo/Poe was poop but the Holdo Maneuver made up for it. Kinda.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My roommate and I saw TLJ together and neither of us really liked it. We then both had the exact same experience where other friends asked our opinion, and when we said we didn't like it getting dogpiled for it, only then learning that your opinion on a movie stakes out your position in some wider culture war.

TLJ is certainly more admirable than TFA or ROS if for no other reason than it actually loving tried to do something but rehash the same nostalgia over and over, I just think its failures in execution far outweigh its successes. I definitely get though why for a lot of people it's the best in the series period.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Listening to the Lindsay Ellis vid and she makes a good point about white people using the "listen to POC" talking point as a bludgeon against one another, monolithing POC in the process.

It's a good point that's been thrown around a lot by online lefties who are critical of the online left. Maybe eventually it'll actually stick.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Star Wars will probably try to use a future installment to explain how the Holdo Maneuver was a one in a million shot of even working or how at one point the Rebellion/Resistance tried using hyperspeed kamakazie droid pilots and it went to poo poo due to either the expenses of destroying ships or droids outright refusing to kill themselves for what might not even work.

I say they shouldn't. Star Wars started out as a sci-fi serial film and crazy poo poo like that should just be in it for Rule of Cool.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont know why people are reacting so ominously to the Lindsay video. It already has a better title than Contrapoints' video did.

Star Wars will probably try to use a future installment to explain how the Holdo Maneuver was a one in a million shot of even working or how at one point the Rebellion/Resistance tried using hyperspeed kamakazie droid pilots and it went to poo poo due to either the expenses of destroying ships or droids outright refusing to kill themselves for what might not even work.

I say they shouldn't. Star Wars started out as a sci-fi serial film and crazy poo poo like that should just be in it for Rule of Cool.

Didnt TROS basically say that to appease the people complaining about it
That was one of my favorite moments from TLJ actually.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think I've ever known faster a movie was going to be poo poo than Rise of Skywalker. Second scene I was already out.
i know a movie is lovely if i spend the entire film thinking about how i would have rewritten/shot the previous scene, and that was my entire ROS experience, while TLJ was just very entertaining and i didn't have to spend the whole time having micro reactions to every bad directing/editing/writing decision

like of course TLJ has problems, all blockbuster movies have them, but they're the kind i can think about afterward and not IMMEDIATELY, as was happening after every scene in Rise

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I legit started to write a massive effort post about how RoS is actually thematically consistent with not just TLJ but the franchise as a whole but I am already just so sick of SW discourse and I know it would start a derail that would dwarf even the great CoD derail of 2020 so now I'm just asking everyone if we can go back to talking about One Piece.

https://twitter.com/op4kids0context/status/1135607458267897856

I actually really like the 4kids Crocodile voice. That's the voice I hear in my head when I read the manga. I wish his cool voice wasn't wasted on the fuckin 4kids dub lol

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

DeafNote posted:

I got drunk before watching TROS because I knew it was going to be bad. I might have missed that out.

My friend was right. It really did try to push away TLJ.

Star Wars is a serial movie about how people use a laser sword in a time where everyone has laser rifles, a legion of soldiers that couldn't hit the heroes to the point it became pop culture mockery, and a death weapon that could have been mended by putting a series of grates on the one shaft that will make it all go boom. Trying to critically explain it to the audience is boring.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The problem is that the Star Wars fandom has always been defined by people being really angry about whatever new Star Wars thing is coming out. In addition to the Original Trilogy controversies that were already mentioned you also had the fandom defined by people being really angry about the edits to the original movies made by the 90s Special Editions, people being really angry at the prequel movies, people being really angry at no movies, people being really angry at the expanded universe novels, people being really angry at Disney dropping the expanded universe novels, and people being really angry at TFA. It creates a really toxic atmosphere where being disproportionately upset at the thing you're supposed to like is considered the norm.

Couple this with the fact that Star Wars is really stupid to begin with (And I'm saying this as a life long Star Wars fan) and you have just an utter cesspit of people who treat their opinions about a dumb kids space adventure movie with more seriousness than they do their political views.

DeafNote posted:

I dont know why people are reacting so ominously to the Lindsay video. It already has a better title than Contrapoints' video did.

Star Wars has had a very longstanding problem of needing to appease dumb, nit-picking weirdos. See also the ridiculous gymnastics the expanded universe has done to justify Han's offhanded comment about making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dominic Monaghan says in episode 9 "we need some more Holdo maneuvers!" and then he gets shot down with Finn and Poe say "no that was a one in a million shot we can't rely on it."

And then at the end of the movie there's a montage of star destroyers falling out of the sky and one of them got Holdo'd and it's implied the Ewoks did it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I feel sorry for the dragon. All it wants to do is die with dignity but they insist on bring it for treasure hunting.

I like Apis and I hope I never have to see an adult version of her later in this franchise because there's no way that will be done tastefully.

I like the marine captain with the moustache and I hope it turns out okay for him. I expected Eric the Sicko to kill him several times already.

Marines can't aim cannons for poo poo :v:

I wonder if Commodore Nelson is a dig at the Brits.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A good movie would have an ewok main character and lean into their psychotic ability to turn anything they lay their hands on into a weapon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Apocalypse Now: Endor

Yop yop song plays ominously as a scarred Ewok sits in the shadow of a fire

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wait until he learns about X-Wings doing dogfights.

He won't. I have a feeling he's both stupid but also trying to feed the culture war beast. Never trust anybody that does a video with Sargon that isn't just 'gently caress you, you suck.'

MauLer has yet to realize the slippery slope of an "objective" reviewer means he should have been really upset by, like, the movies having sounds in space.

It is fun whenever he takes a swing at Marcus on the Cosmonaut Variety Hour because he cares about it WAY more than Marcus does.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the last jedis of video games:

dark souls 2
zelda skyward sword
wolfenstein 2 the new colossus

and of course

doki doki panic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jamie Faith posted:

I legit started to write a massive effort post about how RoS is actually thematically consistent with not just TLJ but the franchise as a whole but I am already just so sick of SW discourse

You made the right choice.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

MauLer has yet to realize the slippery slope of an "objective" reviewer means he should have been really upset by, like, the movies having sounds in space.

It is fun whenever he takes a swing at Marcus on the Cosmonaut Variety Hour because he cares about it WAY more than Marcus does.

An 'objective' reviewer is no more different than the GameFAQs forum arguments of how the Wii is the best console because it outsold another console. It's a title to sound smart and to try to justify your opinions as FACTS like a somehow even more obnoxious Ben Shapiro.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I know I tried to make myself try not to commentate much on the video de jour as to be fair with it at least before I fully watched, but why did she made a bit about hearing from a pal on the DMs whose identity she had to withhold and then immediately show it was Todd In the Shadows?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I legit started to write a massive effort post about how RoS is actually thematically consistent with not just TLJ but the franchise as a whole but I am already just so sick of SW discourse and I know it would start a derail that would dwarf even the great CoD derail of 2020 so now I'm just asking everyone if we can go back to talking about One Piece.

I actually really like the 4kids Crocodile voice. That's the voice I hear in my head when I read the manga. I wish his cool voice wasn't wasted on the fuckin 4kids dub lol

loving lol at them making Crocodile hoverhand Mr.3 like that instead of strangling him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The 7th Guest posted:

the last jedis of video games:

zelda skyward sword

Pretty insulting to TLJ not gonna lie.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What's funny is that I really, really did not like TLJ for a variety of reasons, but for me the bomber scene was a high point—yes it's incredibly dumb, for a variety of reasons, but Star Wars has always had World War II dogfighting at its core and a bunch of space-B-17s slowly lumbering their way to the target was great stuff.

...And then everything went downhill from there.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Katt posted:

I feel sorry for the dragon. All it wants to do is die with dignity but they insist on bring it for treasure hunting.

I like Apis and I hope I never have to see an adult version of her later in this franchise because there's no way that will be done tastefully.

Shes not actually canon so you are in luck

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Jamie Faith posted:

Real talk, I'd be down for people having more optimistic takes about TROS. As much as I hate the movie, it's more than likely going to, forgive my TV Tropes terms, be Vindicated By History. The saga as a whole has been plagued with sudden rewrites and changes ever since Empire Strikes Back hit the theatres. Lucas was very haptic with feedback given the tone changes of VI, I, II and III. You ignore the ugliness of behind the scenes, you interpret movies a bit more optimistically.

But maybe now is not the time to talk of that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kunster posted:

I know I tried to make myself try not to commentate much on the video de jour as to be fair with it at least before I fully watched, but why did she made a bit about hearing from a pal on the DMs whose identity she had to withhold and then immediately show it was Todd In the Shadows?

Pretty sure it was a joke. Like, "for privacy's sake I have to withhold this person's name, also they're half-Vietnamese, also they're Todd"

Groovelord Neato posted:

I saw it opening night and was cackling at "The Dead Speak!" For all the movie's faults, it lays down exactly how bad it's going to be right from the get-go, and I was laughing with my friends the whole way through. Best comedy of 2019.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

well, because Todd is in the shadows

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's not exactly a secret that Lindsay and Todd are friends.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Best comedy of 2019.

No, Cats.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do wish Graphic Cards came with a contingency-feature whereby they cause a deadly house-fire in the event of being used to mine bitcoin. But the sad truth is that Nathan For You wrapped up years ago. so we'll never see any counter method to this shortage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1382615334792888321

Could it be? Is somebody trending downwards but for real this time?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wish I could erase Star Wars from my brain... and everyone else’s brain too. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to 1975 and talk George Lucas into doing a sequel to American Graffiti instead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jamie Faith posted:

also Marc Diraison was a better voice for Zoro than Chris Sabat imo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish I could erase Star Wars from my brain... and everyone else’s brain too. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to 1975 and talk George Lucas into doing a sequel to American Graffiti instead.

There was one! Not made by Lucas though.

It feels crazy that Lucas was an exec producer on Mishima also.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd say THX 1138 but that would probably lead down the same path as Star Wars.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

I love that you can clearly see that he is supposed to be choking him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I do wish Graphic Cards came with a contingency-feature whereby they cause a deadly house-fire in the event of being used to mine bitcoin. But the sad truth is that Nathan For You wrapped up years ago. so we'll never see any counter method to this shortage.

Nvidia released a series of cards a while back that disabled mining at the firmware level... and then pushed a driver update a few days after release that accidentally disabled this firmware lock, immediately making them viable for mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Augus posted:

also Marc Diraison was a better voice for Zoro than Chris Sabat imo

Chris Sahar would be a better kaido tbh