Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1382615334792888321

Could it be? Is somebody trending downwards but for real this time?

I suppose it’s a little early to congratulate Dan on scoring the kill shot on Doug, but still... :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish I could erase Star Wars from my brain... and everyone else’s brain too. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to 1975 and talk George Lucas into doing a sequel to American Graffiti instead.

Eh, he'd end up blending in his burning need for pulpy adventures blended with Kurosawa flicks into it and essentially end up with the Fast and Furious franchise 25 years early.

... so honestly yeah do it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish I could erase Star Wars from my brain... and everyone else’s brain too. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to 1975 and talk George Lucas into doing a sequel to American Graffiti instead.

Agreed. It’s brain static. Entire lifetimes lost to arguments about space wizards where nothing can achieved or gained.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I'd say THX 1138 but that would probably lead down the same path as Star Wars.

An alternate timeline where Lucas makes a huge, influential blockbuster with its primary influence being Goddard instead of Kurosawa would be wild as hell.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Imagine trying to invoke a culture war over American Graffiti V: The New Generation

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure it was a joke. Like, "for privacy's sake I have to withhold this person's name, also they're half-Vietnamese, also they're Todd"

Still watching the video so I can be fair on its final assessment, but I took it somewhat seriously as Todd was dragged years ago to address the Cloud Atlas nonsense so I thought it was a weird respite of that rather than "Haw! Here's my secret pal who's not that secret!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kunster posted:

This seems to be a bad year to build computers, as Caddicarus had a rather similar story.

This is an amazing video and validates my life-long fear of building a computer.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I know it's cheaper to build my own computer but I'd rather use Swedish consumer rights to bully the store into fixing things when they go wrong within the first 2 years. If I build my own they will laugh me out of the store when it turns out that the graphic card I bought has compatibility issues with the motherboard or god knows what else.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
so is anyone gonna bite the bullet on the ellis video or am i gonna have to do it

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Augus posted:

also Marc Diraison was a better voice for Zoro than Chris Sabat imo
Getting the guy who voiced Guts was a choice move.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DoctorWhat posted:

so is anyone gonna bite the bullet on the ellis video or am i gonna have to do it

I'm 20 minutes away from the end and she gets into some pretty heavy stuff. Heavy personal stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

tl;dr she lists every thing she can think of that she's been attacked over, apologizing for some and giving the context for others where they were bullshit and has a big discussion on how toxic twitter is (and admits her own role in it getting nasty.)

She's said she's basically going to be full "no apologies" mode now with her content if anyone wants to read stuff into her tweets. She's also only using twitter for promotion now because she's contractually obligated to do so.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

"I was being ascribed an intentionality that was not there" from the Lindsay vid

Pretty sure "Intent isnt necessary for something to convey/reinforce something" is media crit 101

https://twitter.com/trashtabby/status/1382750011671318542?s=21

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm going to watch the video tomorrow but I predict a 95% chance that the video won't make things better for her when compared to the alternative of "Just log off"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Stormgale posted:

"I was being ascribed an intentionality that was not there" from the Lindsay vid

Pretty sure "Intent isnt necessary for something to convey/reinforce something" is media crit 101

i mean she was quoting sam biddle there. i mean i am not that far in but she isnt fully wrong about stuff.

Mokinokaro posted:

tl;dr she lists every thing she can think of that she's been attacked over, apologizing for some and giving the context for others where they were bullshit and has a big discussion on how toxic twitter is (and admits her own role in it getting nasty.)

She's said she's basically going to be full "no apologies" mode now with her content if anyone wants to read stuff into her tweets. She's also only using twitter for promotion now because she's contractually obligated to do so.

yeah sounds about right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ok so this is now happening. Please read the thread.

https://twitter.com/jourdayen/status/1382756350845931524?s=19

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Stormgale posted:

Yeah, I got to that bit in ""valid criticism"" and I'm good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh yeah this is why kyle kallgreen always vagueposts about the toxic breadtube elite when ellis trends.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Should've been 9 12 minute long videos, then no one would be scared of watching a youtube video again like going into the dark basement alone when you're seven years old all over again.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Being a online famous person sounds terrible

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mokinokaro posted:

She's said she's basically going to be full "no apologies" mode now with her content

As expected of a Contrabuddy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stormgale posted:

why are you posting tweets from the psychos who live off this toxic twitter poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also lol "IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU"

https://twitter.com/neo_humanoid/status/1382758213251002368

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Famethrowa posted:

why are you posting tweets from the psychos who live off this toxic twitter poo poo.

ya best start believin’ in cancel culture— yer participatin’ in it!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Lindsey video was good, though sidenote I'm surprised there are posters who want to also take down Jenny Nicholson of all people????

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

yeeeeeeaaaaah, im not touching the ellis stuff anymore except to say that i think youtube encourages parasocial relationships that are extremely unhealthy for content creators and their fans. other platforms have similar issues but there's something about the way youtube and its content creator model are designed that encourage intimacy and strong emotional connections.

just "log off for a bit and move on" would be good advice but these platforms are built to be difficult to disengage from, not just financially but psychologically as well.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 15, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The Chad Jihad posted:

The Lindsey video was good, though sidenote I'm surprised there are posters who want to also take down Jenny Nicholson of all people????

I remember when Jenny talked about how she saw the Little Mermaid musical and how she thought it wasn't good and everyone in the replies accussed her of shilling the musical for Disney.

That was right after the infamous BawLer video about her thoughts on Joker, though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's because jenny nicholson is friends with ellis and also they're both women.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I didn't know they were friends but I remember Ellis endorsed Jenny on her Brony documentary for the Hugos so I thought they just followed each other.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

ya best start believin’ in cancel culture— yer participatin’ in it!

what?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
My only comment on the Lindsay Ellis Twitter drama: I know that the inciting Tweet involved the phrases "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "YA", which is about all the information I need to get an idea of what's going on...

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

this is the thread for psychos who live off of posting toxic Twitter bullshit

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

this is the thread for psychos who live off of posting toxic Twitter bullshit

:rolleyes:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought the video was good overall, but major yikes at that tweet.

Like, that's not okay Lindsay.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I'll do one more Star Wars posts. No more movies. Tv shows, comics and games, sure. Go nuts. They're better mediums to try to tell a story anyway.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

lol sorry I can’t hear you over the beating of vulture wings as they circle Lindsay Ellis

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The last movie before TLJ that got this much fire was the new Ghostbusters. I saw the new Ghostbusters years later. I thought it sucked (although I liked Leslie Jones's character). But I saw it nothing more as a weak attempt to be hip with an old franchise. But at the same time I admire the movie basically began the end of Milo Yiannopoulos's career because he harassed Jones and got banned from Twitter.

People have the right to not like the movie. But holy poo poo are there real bad faith reviewers out there who all seem to have some sort of weird alt-right or alt-lite.

The extended cut of 2016 Ghostbusters is a reasonable improvement on the theatrical cut, but yeah, it's a mostly forgettable comedy that is at best "OK" and at least it manages to land one or two jokes. Either way, it did not deserve anywhere near the level of vitriol it got, even when it was largely sight-unseen outside of one lovely trailer. It's almost as if the most vocal of the so-called people screaming and ranting about it have a problem with women.

A friend of mine described the sequel trilogy in a way that stuck to me. "The Force Awakens tried to push away the prequels to capture the nostalgia of the classics. The Last Jedi, whether you loved it or hated it, tried something new to the narrative. The Risk of Skywalker tried to push away The Last Jedi to capture more nostalgia. So now you got a trilogy that hates itself."

Rise of Skywalker is a piece of poo poo movie made by a committee of craven cowards that is desperate to please a bunch of screaming gammons who'll never be satisfied. And then they'll make a 20-hour video screaming about the movie anyway, having a conniption every time they recall Rose Tico or anyone else not white briefly walked by in the background.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, this kind of poo poo is just as tedious as some boring, long-winded porkchop doing a 10+ hour video. "I didn't like it, so no one else should either." Spare me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Another creator ever so cancelled, never to be seen in this realm again.

And you know this.

DrVenkman posted:

Ok so this is now happening. Please read the thread.

https://twitter.com/jourdayen/status/1382756350845931524?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I'll do one more Star Wars posts. No more movies. Tv shows, comics and games, sure. Go nuts. They're better mediums to try to tell a story anyway.

i am fine with weird side movies and the rian johnson trilogy and stuff but yeah, no more main trilogies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish the timeline would move forward. Like several generations forward. No more Old Republic. No more New Republic. Go bananas!