Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chamuska posted:

Cubs fan huh?
I’d be more worried about your team not* hitting over .200.

Chamuska posted:

Bruh yesterday he went
7 IP 1 H 0 ER 9 K
I don’t think he sucks at baseball but I guess if it’s a personality thing that I can understand

I think Cubs fans actually enjoy the way he pitches more than most fans because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Looks like this Trevor Bauer character sucks a whole bunch.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
The stadium, the Albies contract, the official response to the All Star Game move, hearing The Chop on TV again....

I've been a lifelong Braves fan but I'm out. I never ever thought I'd switch teams but as soon as I saw the poster above me announce they were through with the Braves something clicked and suddenly I was like Yeah gently caress this team.

I'm still trying to process the ramifications of my decision, but I feel like a great loving weight has been lifted. Thanks for complaining enough about my lovely team to make a difference guys.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There have now been two no hitters that only missed perfect games because of a single HBP in one week? loving weird.

Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

There have now been two no hitters that only missed perfect games because of a single HBP in one week? loving weird.

Someone deliberately getting HBP to break up a no-hitter is funny as hell though.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Haha okay. Last meeting with the Cubs in 2020 he went 7.2 0 ER 3 H 10 SO.

But I see you

I just cann’t wait for that much anticipated World Series matchup between the Cubs and Dodgers this year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Someone deliberately getting HBP to break up a no-hitter is funny as hell though.

Especially because it wouldn’t break it up!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Not strictly Mlb related but anyone else who has The Athletic notice that some articles are appearing multiple times? On my homepage or feed or whatever it’s called. Not all of them, but 4-5 of them are on there twice. Not a big deal I guess but it was confusing for a minute being like hey, I already read this

I hate the Athletic homepage in general. They have so many great articles but sometimes it feels like they make them deliberately hard to find.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bauer can simultaneously be the reigning cy young winner, a horrible chud, and a dude who choked in the world series five years ago. Nothing there is contradictory in a single poster's opinion

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

now it's over over

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1382669399329542147

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I cant imagine cheating on Jlo.

Apr 7, 2003

RCarr posted:

Especially because it wouldn’t break it up!

Tell Jose Tabata that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Imagine selling the exclusive story of your breakup to one particular publication / program.

Some people live on a completely different plane of existence than we do.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

The stadium, the Albies contract, the official response to the All Star Game move, hearing The Chop on TV again....

I've been a lifelong Braves fan but I'm out. I never ever thought I'd switch teams but as soon as I saw the poster above me announce they were through with the Braves something clicked and suddenly I was like Yeah gently caress this team.

I'm still trying to process the ramifications of my decision, but I feel like a great loving weight has been lifted. Thanks for complaining enough about my lovely team to make a difference guys.

Are you done with baseball or just the braves?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

acuna....

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I don't know what's funnier about this garbage-time clown, airmailing a throw into the 15th row at Miller Field, being considered for Lindor money or this:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1382434679631003652

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

WaryWarren posted:

I don't know what's funnier about this garbage-time clown, airmailing a throw into the 15th row at Miller Field, being considered for Lindor money or this:

Tell me someone has a clip of this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WaryWarren posted:

This is why I don't want the Cubs to sign him to some monster ten-year deal. That pitch is all the way out in Waukesha County and he's hacking at it, just as at Wrigley he's swinging at low and away poo poo that's so far off the plate it's practically at the Schaumburg IKEA.

Baez has shown what he is, and the only reason his insane lack of plate discipline hasn't caught up with him is because he has equally insane bat speed.

The guy has never drawn more than 30 walks in a season. Ow.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Whenever a double header is scheduled because of a rain delay, at least one of the games should be 9 innings so that you can watch one real game instead of two imitation games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry but the Schaumburg Ikea is geographically incorrect for a pitch low and away to Javier Baez at Wrigley Field. More appropriate would be Navy Pier.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Mets have been scheduled to play 13 games this season. They've managed to actually play 8, and that's only because they turned one of their rainouts into a 7 inning twi-night doubleheader.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Happy Jackie Day y'all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Patrick Spens posted:

Tell me someone has a clip of this.

https://www.mlb.com/video/josh-lindblom-swinging-strike-to-javier-baez

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mlb.com actually uploads video of literally every pitch from a given game now but I got to the link because baseball savant owns for searching for stuff (also I forgot to include it in the OP and have fixed that)

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/

They also have a bunch of cool info on any given player page

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 15, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

This is why I don't want the Cubs to sign him to some monster ten-year deal. That pitch is all the way out in Waukesha County and he's hacking at it, just as at Wrigley he's swinging at low and away poo poo that's so far off the plate it's practically at the Schaumburg IKEA.

Baez has shown what he is, and the only reason his insane lack of plate discipline hasn't caught up with him is because he has equally insane bat speed.

The guy has never drawn more than 30 walks in a season. Ow.

I'm honestly surprised Javy hasn't swung at a pickoff throw yet.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

who is the dinger king featured in this picture

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aye Doc posted:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rondon's near perfect game got me reminiscing about some other near perfectos in the Defector comments. And I learned (or was reminded) that Harvey Haddix in 1959 not only pitched 12 perfect innings, but he did it while the Braves were stealing signs from the bullpen. I had thought it was bad enough that his team was just miserable with men on base, given that they stranded 8 and hit into 4 double plays.

The best* near perfect game, though, is Ernie Shore in 1917:

Wikipedia posted:

On June 23, 1917, Babe Ruth, then a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox, walked the Washington Senators' first batter, Ray Morgan, on four straight pitches. Ruth, who had already been shouting at umpire Brick Owens about the quality of his calls, became even angrier and, in short order, was ejected. Enraged, Ruth charged Owens, swung at him, and had to be led off the field by a policeman. Ernie Shore came in to replace Ruth, while catcher Sam Agnew took over behind the plate for Pinch Thomas. Morgan was caught stealing by Agnew on the first pitch by Shore, who proceeded to retire the next 26 batters. All 27 outs were made while Shore was on the mound. Once recognized as a perfect game by Major League Baseball, this still counts as a combined no-hitter.

* Armando Galarraga is the only man to have ever pitched a 28 out perfect game and I refuse to accept any other definition of that game.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thank you, i unironically lack in any sort of deductive ability and literally was hopeless to connect those 2 dots on my own

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Watching Javy AB's is really surreal right now, particularly if you've actually been watching him since he debuted. Yeah, he's never been anything approaching a patient hitter, but part of his growth 2014-2018 is that he started to have an actual approach at the plate, shortening up vs guys who threw hard and saving the majority of his moonswings for hanging breakers. If you put a mistake pitch in the zone, or close to the zone, he could recognize and punish it.

Last year and now this year as well, he's just stopped having any kind of plate approach. Every swing is a moonswing, he's just hoping he runs into one and sends it out of the park. The result is that anybody with velo can just pump upper 90's through the heart of the zone and Javy cannot catch up to it. Obviously him chasing a slider like three feet of the plate looks bad, but the far bigger problem is that even when guys come into the heart of the zone Javy swings right through it. And unless he changes his approach it's only going to get worse as he moves into his 30's and starts to lose bat speed.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's entirely possible that Baez gets back on track, if Alfonso Soriano can hit decently into his 30s then there's a chance any free-swinger can do it. And so long as his defense doesn't decline much Javy would still be a real good player with a .270/.310/.490 slash line.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Popete posted:

I'm sorry but the Schaumburg Ikea is geographically incorrect for a pitch low and away to Javier Baez at Wrigley Field. More appropriate would be Navy Pier.

THANK YOU. My eye twitched a bit when I read that comment. I, uh, have a problem.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Yep, that's a swing alright.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Aye Doc posted:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheMajorsLA/status/1382665183965933569?s=19

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This was JT's third homer this season, which is notable because previous to this year his career total homers in 480 PA before May 1st was 3.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 15, 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
You may think Baez's .447 K% is pretty eye popping, but check out Tyler O'Neill's .483!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

javy came in second in MVP voting 3 years ago, :smith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Something primally disturbing in the closing “Oh yeah...money shot” line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/JoeVeyera/status/1382815279151861761?s=19