Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just hit upon this while climbing the wasteland tower in botw: do you feel like being able to use cryonis on mud might've been a late-in-development change or something like that? Because at several points in the world, including this tower, the game uses mud like it's an impassable obstacle, to try and get you to use some clever way to get past it, like stacking metal boxes, or felling trees over it to create a bridge, etc. But you can always just cryonis on it and hop over like it wasn't even there! All of these setups are completely wasted. Botw is all about letting you solve problems in lots of ways but this one feels more like an oversight to me than intentional design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Amppelix posted:

I just hit upon this while climbing the wasteland tower in botw: do you feel like being able to use cryonis on mud might've been a late-in-development change or something like that? Because at several points in the world, including this tower, the game uses mud like it's an impassable obstacle, to try and get you to use some clever way to get past it, like stacking metal boxes, or felling trees over it to create a bridge, etc. But you can always just cryonis on it and hop over like it wasn't even there! All of these setups are completely wasted. Botw is all about letting you solve problems in lots of ways but this one feels more like an oversight to me than intentional design.

Yeah, I never once cut down a tree to get somewhere except for in the tutorial section.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Very possible, but I also think it's easy enough for the player to keep forgetting about Cryonis, and perhaps it doesn't even occur to them that it might work on mud and not just clear liquid.

Yes, that was me on my first playthrough, and I felt pretty dumb sometime months later.

So personally I don't think any of it is wasted. Having cheese options is fine and good. I think the existence of Revali's Gale makes the rest of it a moot point anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah of course revali's lets you skip anything, but since that's a quest reward and gained in an area you probably won't explore for quite a bit of your playthrough it feels quite a bit different than one of the four starting abilities completely circumventing a clearly intended challenge.

i will concede that most people probably won't even think to try cryonis though, i certainly didn't either lol

cryonis is definitely the easiest-to-forget rune in the game

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Best advice I give to people is that if you ever enter an area with ankle high water, there’s likely to be some use for Cryonis. Like those test of strength shrines will often be filled with water which allows you to flip the guardians or block their attacks.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zat posted:

perhaps it doesn't even occur to them that it might work on mud and not just clear liquid.

That's me. Possibly because the one mud pit on the plateau is near the Magnetis shrine (almost certainly the first shrine you enter), while you likely only get Cryonis some time later. And then you probably go towards Kakariko and Hateno, where there are no mud pits at all (if I remember right) but a bunch of rivers and water pools to use Cryonis on.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I will be old one day, if I’m lucky, and just before I pass someone will whisper into my ear something I didn’t know I could do in Breath of the Wild.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cartoon Man posted:

Best advice I give to people is that if you ever enter an area with ankle high water, there’s likely to be some use for Cryonis. Like those test of strength shrines will often be filled with water which allows you to flip the guardians or block their attacks.
There was a gate in Hyrule Castle that I couldn't figure out how to open for the life of me, and then I found out all you had to do was use cryonis to lift it so I felt like an idiot.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I like games where there are multiple ways to solve a puzzle; whether its felling trees to tiptoe around or cryonis or rocketbomb jumping.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I played this game for months and never in a million years would it have occurred to me to use Cryonis on mud even though there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work since mud is basically water and dirt.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cryonis under dead guardians in mud/water was a late discovery for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My playthrough this time is definitely good fun, although I hit some rocky spots because I guess I'm going into areas where you probably shouldn't so early in the game. Got all my runes, then by the skin of my teeth managed to do a major test of strength shrine with the one defensive meal I had. Got some more ancient cores after being lazered to a crisp a couple of times practicing my lazer deflection skills and managed to get all the sheika slate upgrades.

Also just about made it to Robbie, they really didn't want you to unlock the tower in that area so early. So many flying guardians and grey enemies. Also re-lighting his furnace was definitely a tough job, but it was definitely a fun tense time apart from almost right near the end it started to rain so I just had to sit there and wait for the rain to finish before I could light my torch again.

I know I make constant comparisons to Xenoblade but being able to change the time of day on a whim made stuff so much easier. Although I think it would be kinda op in BOTW, I know you can light a fire to pass time but it's a bit difficult when there is no cover whatsoever.

Then I made a beeline to the Rito town so I could get the cold weather gear, I'm debating if I should do their divine beast first. As last time it was the 3rd one I did and I regretted not doing it way earlier. I think I will do it but I might see if I can find the korok forest first.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I played this game for months and never in a million years would it have occurred to me to use Cryonis on mud even though there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work since mud is basically water and dirt.

Same, but I'm also in the camp that forgets cryonis exists for 80% of the game. My greatest moment was standing in front of a lake that was a bit too far to swim across, confusedly thinking "WHAT DO???" for a couple minutes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Same, but I'm also in the camp that forgets cryonis exists for 80% of the game. My greatest moment was standing in front of a lake that was a bit too far to swim across, confusedly thinking "WHAT DO???" for a couple minutes.

I used cryonis all the way to eventide when I only had 4 hearts

Never thought to use it in mud

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Bloop posted:

I used cryonis all the way to eventide when I only had 4 hearts

Never thought to use it in mud

I drank like six stamina elixirs to get to the shrine next to eventide and it never occurred to me to just hop on ice columns the whole way.

It's probably because it would take for loving ever.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's not that much slower (or maybe even faster actually) than the ultra-slow swim speed in this game

the real answer when you want to go places conveniently on water is a raft though. there's a reason they scatter them across the shores of most big bodies of water.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"Of course I don't have a korok leaf..."

At least the raft that takes you to eventide had one laying close by.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

There should be a Cryonis + rune for lava :colbert:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

"Of course I don't have a korok leaf..."

At least the raft that takes you to eventide had one laying close by.

If there’s a raft with no leaf there’s usually trees around that will drop leaves.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

That doesn’t help when all my weapons slots are full, though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah or it's early in the game and all you have are farming hoes and clubs because everything else broke.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah, I never once cut down a tree to get somewhere except for in the tutorial section.

This was really cool, I think they showed it off before release and it was super clever even if completely intended but yeah, sucked when I never got the chance to do it again.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Amppelix posted:

I don't remember ever using Cryonis on mud or even thinking to try and I'm kind of miffed thinking of the time spent on the painful wasteland tower area, so I do think it was intended. I think it fits in the convention of "use clever stuff to advance if you want" pretty well. Like if there was a mud dungeon I could see it, but there's just a few scattered areas and the tower.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

This was really cool, I think they showed it off before release and it was super clever even if completely intended but yeah, sucked when I never got the chance to do it again.
Despite me just saying you can skip it with cryonis, there's actually two locations in the game that i can think of where cutting down a tree is actually useful even after the plateau. One is a korok puzzle surrounded by mud where you have to complete a rock circle. You *can* use cryonis platforms to ferry the rock over but that's a lot more complicated than felling a tree and getting a bridge you can just walk over while carrying the rock. The second is the shrine in hebra mountains that's in the middle of a freezing river, covered by a little cave. You can of course get this one by just swimming and chugging healing, but if you'd like to not waste resources like that (or you're here before you have a lot of health and healing), there's some trees growing right next to the river upstream you can cut down for a makeshift raft for yourself. I really love this solution and i wish it was just a bit more obvious or the trees were more in view since i think most people will just assume you have to tank the damage on this one.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Honestly, I don't think cutting down trees was ever really intended to be a core mechanic or method or anything, just a kick in the head to get the player to start thinking outside the box for things.

Granted, my playthrough took the route of just maxing out stamina first and climbing all the mountains to b-line to places, so I missed a lot of breadcrumbs too...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Really, the biggest thing holding tree cutting back as a recurring puzzle solving method is that there are no trees in shrines, where the lion's share of the game's puzzle content is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The other day I chortled to my wife that our sister in law uses guides to beat every Zelda game but I definitely had to Google some poo poo tonight to beat a shrine and felt the shame.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The other day I chortled to my wife that our sister in law uses guides to beat every Zelda game but I definitely had to Google some poo poo tonight to beat a shrine and felt the shame.

I did that poo poo way back in WW (shame) and TP (sorta shameful).

Truth be told back in the 90s I bought the Nintendo Power guide to A Link to the Past. It was like a thick gaming mag with really nice page weight and a solid spine. And poo poo, back then I don't know if I had ALttP. I think I might have got the guide before the game because I couldn't afford the cart on my salary of being in middle school.

I don't still have it of course because it's extremely shameful and is probably composting in a wooded area surrounded by normal kids' penthouses.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I found alttp strat guide in the woods I'd prolly JO to that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I used to get guides for, like, most games, but nowadays the internet is generally pretty reliable. I'm not the kind of person who really cares about spoilers anyway.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll definitely bang my head against a brick wall for a while trying to figure something out for myself, but once I decide I'm just not going to get it, I'll use the internet, no looking back and no shame. But I'll try to limit it to just what I need to get going again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
at 33 I've just come to accept that certain physics puzzles are designed by people whose brain just functions on a different axis than mine. There are shrines in this game i gave about 20 minutes before looking up the solution and pretty much every time its just "Yeah i would have never thought of that in 100 years" and just shrug, grateful to be living in a time when I can just bypass obtuse puzzles that are more frustrating than fun. I'd rather have my skills challenged then just bumble through the game, rubbing every item on every keyhole to make sure i'm playing it right.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the shrines were you line the spheres into holes where the clues are supposed to be the maps of consteletions on the walls make zero sense to me whatsoever and I looked up the solutions because I see no corrolation between the two. My brain just doesn't see it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah the shrines were you line the spheres into holes where the clues are supposed to be the maps of consteletions on the walls make zero sense to me whatsoever and I looked up the solutions because I see no corrolation between the two. My brain just doesn't see it.

Count the number of each constellation and put the speres into the holes with the correct numbers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bust Rodd posted:

at 33 I've just come to accept that certain physics puzzles are designed by people whose brain just functions on a different axis than mine. There are shrines in this game i gave about 20 minutes before looking up the solution and pretty much every time its just "Yeah i would have never thought of that in 100 years" and just shrug, grateful to be living in a time when I can just bypass obtuse puzzles that are more frustrating than fun. I'd rather have my skills challenged then just bumble through the game, rubbing every item on every keyhole to make sure i'm playing it right.

I agree to some extent, but a big part of the problem for me is that the shrines make it so that you're just randomly running into puzzles of any given type. I do a lot better in the dungeon style of working through increasingly complex puzzles centered around particular ideas.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

superjew posted:

I will be old one day, if I’m lucky, and just before I pass someone will whisper into my ear something I didn’t know I could do in Breath of the Wild.
well since you asked so nicely i just learned this myself:

the ill-explained and seemingly useless "bone atk up" set bonus you gain with the radiant set is actually the same exact thing as the ancient weapon damage bonus you get from the ancient soldier gear, only applied to bone weapons. and what are bone weapons? well obviously the various skeleton arms, but more importantly, all of the dragonbone stuff counts! those tend to have somewhat underwhelming damage compared to other standard endgame gear like royal weapons, so this set is actually a great way to make use of them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't recall looking for outside help for any shrine in BotW, but I did seek small assistance for 2 of the great beasts. I have no shame about that either: I'm middle-aged, so I don't have as long to live as I used to and I don't have the free time or the patience to bash my head against a wall so that my balls can feel big.

I'm also the type that doesn't give a poo poo about spoilers. I don't play games for story, and I'm more about the journey than the denouement. There are plenty of, for example, Sherlock Holmes stories where I knew by page 4 who did it, but I still enjoyed the story because of how the criminal did it and how he was caught. I was reminded of that American detective series Columbo where every episode began by the audience seeing how the crime was done, but it was still very popular because seeing how Frank went about finding the killer was the best part.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Amppelix posted:

well since you asked so nicely i just learned this myself:

the ill-explained and seemingly useless "bone atk up" set bonus you gain with the radiant set is actually the same exact thing as the ancient weapon damage bonus you get from the ancient soldier gear, only applied to bone weapons. and what are bone weapons? well obviously the various skeleton arms, but more importantly, all of the dragonbone stuff counts! those tend to have somewhat underwhelming damage compared to other standard endgame gear like royal weapons, so this set is actually a great way to make use of them.

I did not know that, which makes this post attempted murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The worst are the two shrines on either side of the split peak that require you to remember wtf is going on in one to solve the other. Thank god for the screenshot button.