Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

I wish the timeline would move forward. Like several generations forward. No more Old Republic. No more New Republic. Go bananas!

The Republic II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

tl;dr she lists every thing she can think of that she's been attacked over, apologizing for some and giving the context for others where they were bullshit and has a big discussion on how toxic twitter is (and admits her own role in it getting nasty.)

I'll say what I said earlier in the thread:

I loving hate white motherfuckers that decide they're entitled to speak on behalf of us yellows. gently caress off, we don't need a spesharu waito jeezasu to act like they represent us, you patronising fucks.

Just as bad are those like that so-called YA author, who seem to have a delusion that they speak for all of us yellows, and oh so magnanimously deign to speak for all of us as if they're the Yellow People Sheriff.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Jimbot posted:

I wish the timeline would move forward. Like several generations forward. No more Old Republic. No more New Republic. Go bananas!

It would actually help ease the pain of the new timeline ending on TROS. Just put centuries later. No further details of the past other than 'The Emperor and his new Order were ultimately vanquished' as a single line of exposition from a character. Otherwise it'd be the equivalent of Obi-wan telling Luke about the Old/New Republic.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Real talk, I'd be down for people having more optimistic takes about TROS. As much as I hate the movie, it's more than likely going to, forgive my TV Tropes terms, be Vindicated By History. The saga as a whole has been plagued with sudden rewrites and changes ever since Empire Strikes Back hit the theatres. Lucas was very haptic with feedback given the tone changes of VI, I, II and III. You ignore the ugliness of behind the scenes, you interpret movies a bit more optimistically.

But maybe now is not the time to talk of that.

Don't worry, I'll make a 3 hour long video essay about it as soon as I'm far enough along in my transition to be comfortable being on camera lol

Augus posted:

also Marc Diraison was a better voice for Zoro than Chris Sabat imo

I love my boy Sabat but I get preferring someone else because its seems CS is one of those VAs like Steve Blum who are just in EVERYTHING and everytime they pop up its distracting because youre all like "Hey its Steve Blum!" lol

DoctorWhat posted:

so is anyone gonna bite the bullet on the ellis video or am i gonna have to do it

I'll be honest. I'm kinda done with Ellis. I'm done arguing about her and I'm done even thinking about her.

Head empty only One Piece

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twitter sucks, but so do two hour video essays about being cancelled

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i like ellis' work, thought the raya-atla comparison was kinda stupid on her end, and definitely think making a 2 hour long video griping about twitter is pretty silly :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I feel like she was very fair. Doesn't come off as too whiny or defensive while getting emotional where it's expected (people digging up poo poo in regards to both her and her friend being sexually assaulted). She owns up to mistakes and admits where she was wrong and where people were right to call her out. Using Twitter exclusively for updates and promotions for here on out is the right move IMO.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I havent finished the video myself yet, but so far it does come across not as whining but more as just wanting to get her entire story out without interruption. If you have that many accusations, you might as well try to respond to them all. (That stuff above would be nice if it could be added tho)
Plus it deals a lot with the racism inherent in society as a whole as well. Not just how it connects to twitter.

It will unfortunately lead to the same problem Mauler has in that only people who already like her (or are just curious and willing to give her a chance) are going to watch it.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 15, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As far as "cancel apology" videos go it's pretty fantastic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Very good essay and worthwhile video. Will continue to watch her work and get around to her book gathering dust on my shelf.

The twitter stuff is only a jumping-off point on the larger story, as is that middling Disney movie nobody watched. On how what starts as a criticism made in good faith can spiral into a chaotic movement fueled by vindictiveness and co-opted by Diet Nazis.

Also let''s toss Twitter, and Facebook too, into an Icelandic volcano/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
she's white so she's probably at least a little racist but her work doesn't seem to be motivated by racism and is overall in that mildly progressive strain of thought that half of what the people who veg out on the internet all day watching content think of as leftist. so her professional life is fine. There's some credible stuff about her having been racist / entitled in her personal life w/r/t jourdain which would kind of sully her as a political theorist and activist so i probably won't think of her as credible in that capacity if she ever uh, starts doing that instead of lite media criticism infotainment.

But I probably will keep watching her videos because she's entertaining, doesn't actually talk about race, and she hasn't tried to justify doing racism in her videos (unless she does in the newest one.)

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 15, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I feel like she was very fair. Doesn't come off as too whiny or defensive while getting emotional where it's expected (people digging up poo poo in regards to both her and her friend being sexually assaulted). She owns up to mistakes and admits where she was wrong and where people were right to call her out. Using Twitter exclusively for updates and promotions for here on out is the right move IMO.

yeah, sounds like the smartest choice for her.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'm watching through the video now and I think it overall handles the situation and the incidents dredged up on Twitter pretty well, though I think the idea of doing a video on this at all is at best a Sisyphean effort and at worst is only going to fan the flames. While I don't want to be dismissive as I do think there are legitimate points to be addressed within this discourse, my experience with the communities involved (A:tLA and the general YA community at large) suggests that the majority of discussion is going to be a clusterfuck regardless of the saliency of any points being discussed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
two hours

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

End of the video she says to stop torturing Moviebob. Re-cancelled.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm so glad I blocked Endorph ages ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm so glad I blocked Endorph ages ago.

cool bro lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

we need to introduce these bold concepts to the world of fashion. cancel couture

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It would actually help ease the pain of the new timeline ending on TROS. Just put centuries later. No further details of the past other than 'The Emperor and his new Order were ultimately vanquished' as a single line of exposition from a character. Otherwise it'd be the equivalent of Obi-wan telling Luke about the Old/New Republic.

Have it narrated by Buzz Aldrin telling a kid about "The Skywalker".

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

While i absolutely agree with taking twitter off from what i understanding it seems the response is to go scorched earth on listening and/or responding to any feedback. Not a fan of that nor should she really actually deal with the straw that broke the camel's back within a 2 hour video also about other stuff.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

on a better topic.

https://www.polygon.com/animation-cartoons/22371710/strong-bad-email-homestar-runner

so I am curious. is this the only flash cartoon type deal that remained good/got better with age. because when i was 11/etc watching homestar, i was also watching foamy and happy tree friends. and this is the only of the three that i still laugh at.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
happy tree friends was only funny to abused children and psychopaths, so yes probably.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Rockit posted:

While i absolutely agree with taking twitter off from what i understanding it seems the response is to go scorched earth on listening and/or responding to any feedback. Not a fan of that nor should she really actually deal with the straw that broke the camel's back within a 2 hour video about stuff.

But, when it comes to Twitter, it doesn't matter what feedback she engages with, good or bad. Twitter signal boosts everyone else's engagement and whichever engagement generates the most drama wins.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Jesus loving Christ what ever happened to "whoops my bad". 2 hour video jesus gently caress.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'd go so far as to say that Homestar Runner is not just the only flash cartoon series that aged well, but is, in fact, the only good thing ever made

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Never watched a lot of Homestar Runner but it seemed like the only thing that wasn't tryhard edgy, overly meanspirited, or lolrandom among early 2000's webtoons.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

And to think this all started because of mild criticism towards a Disney film.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

volts5000 posted:

But, when it comes to Twitter, it doesn't matter what feedback she engages with, good or bad. Twitter signal boosts everyone else's engagement and whichever engagement generates the most drama wins.

You don't have to listen to twitter just listen to something.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

SteelMentor posted:

Jesus loving Christ what ever happened to "whoops my bad". 2 hour video jesus gently caress.

:emptyquote: x2

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

volts5000 posted:

Twitter signal boosts everyone else's engagement and whichever engagement generates the most drama wins.

people keep saying this about social media services as though it's a big revelation and not demonstrably been the core of all social strata for three thousand years

like it's not "Twitter," people are just Like That and it sucks

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Never watched a lot of Homestar Runner but it seemed like the only thing that wasn't tryhard edgy, overly meanspirited, or lolrandom among early 2000's webtoons.

Homestar Runner stuff could just make up new words or mash them together and make them sound funny and somehow not lolrandom

I still call my peppermint mochas 'Hot Jones'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bleck posted:

I'd go so far as to say that Homestar Runner is not just the only flash cartoon series that aged well, but is, in fact, the only good thing ever made

I mean kinda yeah. Don’t they write a lot of the Alex hirch shows and stuff now?

Homestar Runner stuff could just make up new words or mash them together and make them sound funny and somehow not lolrandom

I like Jibblies and still use it. Plus some of the weird descriptive pharasing.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I still find myself using grood.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

SteelMentor posted:

Make a long list of grievances, except a longwinded reply.
(I do appreciate that she covered the Mara Wilson thing for what its worth)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

So are we placing bets on when Abigail from Philosophy Tube gets twitter-mobbed? She's like the only big ~breadtuber~ who hasn't been (hbomberguy doesn't count because you can't get cancelled if you don't make content) and since she's a woman on the internet she's got a bigger target on her back now. Not saying she's likely to do anything wrong but if Jenny Nicholson is getting dragged around for every other thing she says it's only a matter of time for Abi.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Bleck posted:

people keep saying this about social media services as though it's a big revelation and not demonstrably been the core of all social strata for three thousand years

like it's not "Twitter," people are just Like That and it sucks

So what do we do? Sit back and say "them's the breaks" while the truly shameless just perpetuate overt racism because THAT loving sucks. I want to learn from her video and use it to be more critical of the media/people I'll learn from in the future. "Should I value this person's opinion and take their perspective into my account?"

Youth Decay posted:

So are we placing bets on when Abigail from Philosophy Tube gets twitter-mobbed? She's like the only big ~breadtuber~ who hasn't been (hbomberguy doesn't count because you can't get cancelled if you don't make content) and since she's a woman on the internet she's got a bigger target on her back now. Not saying she's likely to do anything wrong but if Jenny Nicholson is getting dragged around for every other thing she says it's only a matter of time for Abi.

Before she went public with her transition, she made a joke on Twitter about Biden's "transition" team and people got mad at her.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Terrible Opinions posted:

End of the video she says to stop torturing Moviebob. Re-cancelled.

Timestamp please