Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm not going to disgrace it by putting on a different groupset on it

Alright, let's see what drill bits you're working with, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm not going to disgrace my frame

*perforates frame with a black and decker drill on the kitchen table*

It's just like the factory paisanos with a lubricating drill press

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

:discourse:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's a dewalt actually :chord:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

kimbo305 posted:

You want these? They're a little long for 11 (I'm 11 and very wide, so these 46 are long and still a bit narrow), but I've had them sitting around forever telling myself I'd sell them off.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-mtb-prowl-r-rs-cycling-shoes-2017-p315574/s529550

In my mind, I think of them as Star Wars colors, but I can't point to a particular ship/outfit that matches.

I don't have very wide feet so I'm guessing 46 would be too long for me as well.

Agree that they've got a Rebel Alliance vibe to the color scheme tho

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

It's not the wrong frame. It comes as mechanical/electronic or electronic only. This doesn't have the routing for mechanical but does have the hole for the RD. There's plenty of people who've made holes in old colnago frames for electronic gearing and they are known for building strong but heavy carbon frames.

I'm not going to disgrace it by putting on a different groupset on it because I've already got super record (apart from the crank) EPS V3 ready to go and I'm not going to downgrade

you seem convinced so quit talkin and start dewaltin

i wanna know how this goes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

You want these? They're a little long for 11 (I'm 11 and very wide, so these 46 are long and still a bit narrow), but I've had them sitting around forever telling myself I'd sell them off.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-mtb-prowl-r-rs-cycling-shoes-2017-p315574/s529550

In my mind, I think of them as Star Wars colors, but I can't point to a particular ship/outfit that matches.

Ronald McDonald rear end looking shoes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The important question is do they clash with the bike?

I will admit to having a thatchers cider bib they would go with and also that I ride in muck boots.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

It's a dewalt actually :chord:

dewalt is black and decker actually :chord:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Now that i don't have 16 hilly miles of bike commute per day plus more for shopping/errands, I've been starting to ride just for recreation / exercise, which is kind of a new concept for me :v: I've taken some really nice rides, and I've been pleased to find that even in street clothes on my Long Haul Trucker with 28mm tires and a pannier and stuff, I will often pass people in spandex on a racey looking bike, going uphill (yeah I'm bragging a bit but also I know I would be smoked by plenty of other riders). This makes me wonder what kind of damage I could do with an actual road bike rather than a heavy touring bike.

Did anyone else itt go touring bike -> sporty road bike, and did it change your life it was it just a slight improvement?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I take off like a rocket when not on my regular gravel bikes loaded down with shopping. The problem is not having panniers is weird to me so I compromised with a steel and carbon touring bike.

The way they handle differently does take getting used to, the skinny tyres especially.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Ronald McDonald rear end looking shoes

now I want a pair

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

alnilam posted:

Now that i don't have 16 hilly miles of bike commute per day plus more for shopping/errands, I've been starting to ride just for recreation / exercise, which is kind of a new concept for me :v: I've taken some really nice rides, and I've been pleased to find that even in street clothes on my Long Haul Trucker with 28mm tires and a pannier and stuff, I will often pass people in spandex on a racey looking bike, going uphill (yeah I'm bragging a bit but also I know I would be smoked by plenty of other riders). This makes me wonder what kind of damage I could do with an actual road bike rather than a heavy touring bike.

Did anyone else itt go touring bike -> sporty road bike, and did it change your life it was it just a slight improvement?

You LHT is heavy like a boat anchor. A proper road bike will likely be under 20 lbs and notably faster in most situations. Is it worth it? I dunno, depends on what you are hoping to achieve and how much money you want to spend.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

alnilam posted:

Surlies are built for stability, my Straggler is nice to ride around on in a "it's fun to ride bikes" way but it's nowhere near as exciting as a proper road bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PA was a mistake

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm not going to disgrace it by putting on a different groupset on it because I've already got super record (apart from the crank) EPS V3 ready to go and I'm not going to downgrade

Who cares whatever justification you've cooked up for this. Drill the frame already and entertain the thread goddamnit. :munch:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

MetaJew posted:

If I want some cycling shoes, but I am also a frugal hypebeast that wants cycling shoes in a loud or cool color, and a size 45/US11, are there any good websites to search for clearance shoes from a previous model year?

Giro has some neat shoes in their sale section for cheap, but of course they are all in very small sizes.

I think I'm looking for a gravel/mtb ish shoe to run SPD pedals for practicality reasons.

I'd search around for Pearl Izumi. Not only do many of their shoes come in really obnoxious colors, you can usually find last year's or even 2019 shoes at half off. I got a top to the line carbon MTB shoe for $190 (listed full retail at $420) The lower end models have similar discounts.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

wait wait wait go back to the beginning here and let me ask the real important question

Is that a giant box of Minstrels chocolates??? holy gently caress

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Easter egg?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

French Canadian posted:

Rival AXS just dropped so maybe speed holes can be averted?
900 grams heavier than 105 mechanical :yikes:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

drillin' that frame
high on cocaine
Mr. Chaps you'd better
watch your speed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thinking about it one of my bikes has a three speed hub and the cable is zip tied

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I'd search around for Pearl Izumi. Not only do many of their shoes come in really obnoxious colors, you can usually find last year's or even 2019 shoes at half off. I got a top to the line carbon MTB shoe for $190 (listed full retail at $420) The lower end models have similar discounts.

Any specific shops/stores to check?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MetaJew posted:

Any specific shops/stores to check?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sd5-sandals-2021/rp-prod201580
+
https://www.ringsidecollectibles.com/wwe-wrestling-socks-macho-man-sox-080.html

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
who makes cool cycling caps? Looking for anything that’s not cotton, preferably in black.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Those sandals are too similar to what I wear on my motorcycle. I'm not buying the same sandal twice.

The socks, however, rule.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
I'm trying to feed the urge to buy another bike by looking at unicycles.

As a grown rear end, full sized adult, is a 20" starter unicycle still a good idea, or should I start with a 24"/26"? It's a solid $60+ difference, which seems significant for something that I may decide is a horrible idea after a couple weeks of use.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PuErhTeabag posted:

As a grown rear end, full sized adult, is a 20" starter unicycle still a good idea, or should I start with a 24"/26"? It's a solid $60+ difference, which seems significant for something that I may decide is a horrible idea after a couple weeks of use.

If you buy a unicycle you should opt for the combos that come with accordions too. That way you save some money and don’t have to shop separately.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

In my experience the difference between a CX bike, which is still much lighter than a LHT, and a (still too small I need to get my own bike) road bike running 25mm GP4Ks was night and day. Took me from often being spit out the back of the A group on my twice weekly group ride to being in the mix and sometimes winning sprints. Road bikes IMO have very little versatility and utility but if you're looking to go fast it's the way to go.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

who makes cool cycling caps? Looking for anything that’s not cotton, preferably in black.

Cinelli makes some awesome looking ones if you like loud.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Hekk posted:

If you buy a unicycle you should opt for the combos that come with accordions too. That way you save some money and don’t have to shop separately.

I've already got the accordion, but thanks for looking out for me.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

PuErhTeabag posted:

How fast do you want to go? A friend did a charity unicycle ride and found that a 26 inch wheel was alot less pedalling!

MetaJew posted:

Those sandals are too similar to what I wear on my motorcycle. I'm not buying the same sandal twice.

The socks, however, rule.

I have seen some kids wearing slides, (flip flops to us Brits) while texting on their bikes. WTF!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I ride in muck boots in the winter and sandals in the summer, but bolt upright on Dutch bikes and rarely hitting 14mph.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
<Entropist has entered the chat.>

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Head Bee Guy posted:

I dunno if it qualifies as cool but I grabbed a Halo cycling cap and it really does keep the sweat from dripping into my eyes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone done the Iron Horse Classic in Durango? Trying to get a lottery spot this year but I’m pretty doubtful.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone done the Iron Horse Classic in Durango? Trying to get a lottery spot this year but I’m pretty doubtful.

Ridden many of the roads the course does and it's absolutely beautiful out there. 100% recommend

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Can't go wrong with a classic.

https://www.amazon.com/Giordana-2016-Brooklyn-Team-Cycling/dp/B07BRHZNDL

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i went on a little solo retreat -

Really need to figure out something better to eat than sugar bars like larabar/clif bars. After a couple I just feel sick and hate bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i went on a little solo retreat -

Really need to figure out something better to eat than sugar bars like larabar/clif bars. After a couple I just feel sick and hate bikes.

rice cakes
boiled potatoes
spam musubi