Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah Laz seems truly awful, at least with J&E you get plenty of opportunities for double items. It seems like the strategy is to keep one as weak as you can get by with and give the other all the good stuff. Pretty risky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Tainted Samson is a lot of fun. I don't get Tainted Judas at all. His ability seems kind of weak.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I played a round with Fruit Cake and some shots made gravity wells with a demonic eye in it and some spawned Big Horn's hands to slap and grab enemies.

Can you get those effects with other items?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Inzombiac posted:

I played a round with Fruit Cake and some shots made gravity wells with a demonic eye in it and some spawned Big Horn's hands to slap and grab enemies.

Can you get those effects with other items?
Yes. Ocular Rift and Little Horn.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ryuga Death posted:

Tainted Samson is a lot of fun. I don't get Tainted Judas at all. His ability seems kind of weak.

just say “nothing personnel, kid” whenever you use the ability

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hey is it just me or is Bumbino kind of loving ridiculous for a caves boss

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is probably a old item but there's one that says Bleed Me Dry and drains all my red hearts. I've picked it up twice now and I still didn't really realize what it does so can someone just tell me so I can stop killing myself trying to figure it out?

I've had a lot of success with this item and Samson, I think his trinket might drop hearts when you're down to a half red so it restores some of your lost health and nets you a damage bonus from the Bloody Lust.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

If you only hit a single target, it takes damage based on your damage modifier, the damage boost is gone after 0.5 seconds and the shadow explosion does normal tear damage.
Every enemy you hit past the first one takes increased damage and gives you increased damage for both the shadow explosion and the duration of the damage boost when exiting shadow form. A single enemy tear is counted as a full enemy, so if you Dark Arts something like monstros puke attack, you can hit dozens of tears before you get to monstro itself and do crazy amounts of damage.
The mom transformation knife does not turn in to shadow, so you can drag that through large enemies in shadow form.

You're also completely invincible in shadow form, so you can walk on spikes, enter curse room doors, pass traps without taking any damage.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 15, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

It's very strong. You can run through bullets with it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psychedelicatessen posted:

If you only hit a single target, it takes damage based on your damage modifier, the damage boost is gone after 0.5 seconds and the shadow explosion does normal tear damage.
Every enemy you hit past the first one takes increased damage and gives you increased damage for both the shadow explosion and the duration of the damage boost when exiting shadow form. A single enemy tear is counted as a full enemy, so if you Dark Arts something like monstros puke attack, you can hit dozens of tears before you get to monstro itself and do crazy amounts of damage.
The mom transformation knife does not turn in to shadow, so you can drag that through large enemies in shadow form.

You're also completely invincible in shadow form, so you can walk on spikes, enter curse room doors, pass traps without taking any damage.

Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, then. It just felt very weaksauce even after I'd dark arts multiple enemies/projectiles and the damage boost was nice but drained too quickly. Probably didn't help that my single tainted judas run didn't give any good stats up items.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I had an insane compost run with tainted judas which made it so running into enemies would slingshot flies onto their faces which was pretty sick. Also the sound getting higher in pitch as i attacked hush's shots and flies was cool

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Color Printer posted:

Yeah, I hate that fight and never have enough damage to breeze through it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tainted Judas is cool but I need to figure out how to rebind stuff so I can use Dark Arts without taking my finger off of wasd.

Color Printer posted:

Yes but also if you take it slow and pay attention to his patterns he's not as bad as he initially seems. The full heart of damage feels pretty unnecessary.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The Moon Monster posted:

The full heart of damage feels pretty unnecessary.

This is the part that pushes it over the edge for me, honestly

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Another tainted character unlocked, another loss to the beast that would have been an easy win if I didn't have to give up my card slot :suicide:

Is it just me or are the stalactite/stalagmite hitboxes in that fight way too big? Might have been because I had 2 size downs that made Isaac look smaller than his hitbox.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just got boss rush (thanks to holding mama mega since B2) and beat Mother as J&E. Got Tech X but not many stat ups. wasnt as nightmarish as i was expecting.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It's just weird that for some tainted characters it's all negative, some it's a wash, and for a few it's arguably better.

Like they couldn't decide if they were supposed to be harder, gimmicks, or reinventions so they just picked 2 of those 3 options at random.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Color Printer posted:

Every level has a boss that's way OP just because that's what this game is. Basement has the champion Ragman that spawns ads nonstop. Womb has Matriarch. Etc etc

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Played a few hours of the new dlc, realised pretty quickly that I wasn’t enjoying it. Don’t get me wrong there were plenty of cool new things, but overall enough stuff that turned me off it that I just wasn’t having fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's too bad

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Played a few hours of the new dlc, realised pretty quickly that I wasn’t enjoying it. Don’t get me wrong there were plenty of cool new things, but overall enough stuff that turned me off it that I just wasn’t having fun.
Is this a copypasta?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Haha no, last played Isaac I’d got everything done except some Keeper stuff and Greedier Lost but burnt out trying to do that. This time round just felt like a continuation of that, I guess because the items I have to unlock are all at the hard end of the game. Might give it a bit and just try and play some casual runs.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

I had a run where void-style portals to the boss spawned in the first room of each floor. Does anybody know what item or effect does that?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Okua posted:

I had a run where void-style portals to the boss spawned in the first room of each floor. Does anybody know what item or effect does that?

Card Reading, it's a new shop item, it spawns 2 of 3 portals at the start of every floor, blue for secret room, yellow for treasure room or red for the boss, it picks one of the blue/reds for floors without treasure rooms.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Einwand posted:

Card Reading, it's a new shop item, it spawns 2 of 3 portals at the start of every floor, blue for secret room, yellow for treasure room or red for the boss, it picks one of the blue/reds for floors without treasure rooms.

I got this on an OP run and decided to go for the Lamb and knock out the rerun achievements. Managed to finish my rerun in about 4 minutes.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
If you find the soul converter on Tainted Judas it's basically a won run. Since his health gimmick automatically converts red health to black hearts and you're "destroying" a black heart to do it, it does spammable roomwide damage.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
It took me 3 full days of attempting but finally finished ultrahard. I had 20/20 and the knife. Never again. At least now hard mode won't seem as bad

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did Ultrahard get tougher with the Hard Mode changes?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hot drat The Forgotten's alt rules!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tainted Lilith hugging her Incubus in the loading screens is really adorable. :3:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Does Dull Razor work with Cambion Conception? Because that seems like it could be pretty busted if you get the Schoolbag on Lilith.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bloody Pom posted:

Does Dull Razor work with Cambion Conception? Because that seems like it could be pretty busted if you get the Schoolbag on Lilith.

as far as I understand dull razor works exactly like taking damage, setting off any abilities that otherwise don't go off if you're not "really" taking damage

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, didn't realize Incubus also got a similar nerf like the 20/20 did.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Might sound stupid but is Hush new?

Unlocked It Lives! and had 3 HP and very nearly killed him when he was a big face in the floor and that felt like it went on forever. Not hard just kind of tedious.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eclipse12 posted:

It's just weird that for some tainted characters it's all negative, some it's a wash, and for a few it's arguably better.

Like they couldn't decide if they were supposed to be harder, gimmicks, or reinventions so they just picked 2 of those 3 options at random.

Yeah tainted characters are weird. I expected them to be like, plays on the base character and some of them are then some of them are just completely different and weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Might sound stupid but is Hush new?

Unlocked It Lives! and had 3 HP and very nearly killed him when he was a big face in the floor and that felt like it went on forever. Not hard just kind of tedious.

Hush is from Afterbirth

Speaking of things that might sound stupid: I kinda miss how original isaac had jokes for some of the achievement descriptions instead of just "unlocked an item"

Hush and a few other bosses have super armor that caps the amount of damage they take which... I get, but can make it incredibly boring since Hush has like, one attack that's kinda hard to dodge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair :v:

Don't like that dude.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I can live with every other character's design but isn't tainted Lazarus just too poo poo? I feel like I'm missing something.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, the conjoined transformation makes the spirit sword charge attack spin three times in a row. Talk about melting enemy health.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

realized i havent gotten a guppy since the dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

realized i havent gotten a guppy since the dlc

They added a guppy item and a guppy trinket (counts toward the transformation but only if held). Both need to be unlocked though.