Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Any tips for planting asparagus crowns? Just got a big ol' box of roots.

Plan is to soak them and bury them in a trench 18 inches wide and 6 inches deep in my raised bed least likely to be moved. Will be interesting to try and tease apart the plants in this clump.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

soon - the basil

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

See thread title. This is their first time meeting sunlight!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You've made a huge mistake. That is entirely too many. Probably enough to take over a small town.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Motronic posted:

You've made a huge mistake. That is entirely too many. Probably enough to take over a small town.

Only the 6 in the centre are pumpkins, and I live on an acreage. I plan to give extra plants away. The stuff in the back is other plants - zucchini, kale, spinach, and cucumbers I think are visible in that shot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm joking (and 6 is still enough to take over a small town)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Motronic posted:

I'm joking (and 6 is still enough to take over a small town)

Sorry -_- I'm having a very covid isolation day. I don't think my irony detector is working well atm.

They're "Neon" hybrid pumpkins.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My tomato seedlings sprung the heck up quickly.

I planted them late, after telling myself I wouldn't after doing the same thing last year (but I got plenty of tomatoes, just later in the season.) Planted them all on Apr 2.

This is from Apr 11:

Only one tiny seedling.

And this is from yesterday, the 14th:

There's only two cells with no seedlings.
Still nothing on my pepper tray, but I understand those need even longer.

Already started to thin a few of those out, as you can see, some of the seeds "got away from me" and much more than just 3 or 4 seeds per cell ended up being planted.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Very proud of myself for getting longbeans and bittermelons in the ground on time this year. Now I need to figure out what to do with all of these sunflowers I've started.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Very proud of myself for getting longbeans and bittermelons in the ground on time this year. Now I need to figure out what to do with all of these sunflowers I've started.

I thought about doing bittermelon this year, but I just wanted a bunch of cucumbers instead. Maybe next year. My longbeans are in the ground and sprouted and that makes me happy.

I'm working on sprouting eggplant and okra right now, and it's slowly working. I had to adjust where I was keeping the tray. I have a week of 70s ahead and everything has been surviving outside, so my 14" tall tomatoes are going in their spot already too. Cucumbers are a week or two away to go outside too. It seems ridiculous when my family just went to start their tomatoes a week or two ago.

Next year I'll build a seed starting cabinet to keep the heat and humidity more constant in the garage. I feel like I'm juggling plants constantly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm going to be really sick of them before the season's over. I doubt I'll be able to give them away either, because, well, the flavor. Maybe I can find more ways to fix them than just stir fry.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I got really distracted and the weather has been bad on weekends for the past month so my garden currently consists of 3 volunteer eggplant all growing right next to each other.

Do japanese eggplants come relatively true from seed???

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got really distracted and the weather has been bad on weekends for the past month so my garden currently consists of 3 volunteer eggplant all growing right next to each other.

Do you have your seed pack from last year or remember the variety? If it's not an F1 hybrid they should be fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^^ I love bittermelon, and I'll make it often, but then I have to eat most of it myself.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Depends on what they come from? There are plenty of hybrid plants out there that you can't really know unless you know what the seeds were the first time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Do you have your seed pack from last year or remember the variety? If it's not an F1 hybrid they should be fine.

Jhet posted:

^^ I love bittermelon, and I'll make it often, but then I have to eat most of it myself.

Depends on what they come from? There are plenty of hybrid plants out there that you can't really know unless you know what the seeds were the first time.

I bought them as plants from lowes or somewhere. Pretty sure they were these guys: https://bonnieplants.com/product/ichiban-japanese-eggplant/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I bought them as plants from lowes or somewhere. Pretty sure they were these guys: https://bonnieplants.com/product/ichiban-japanese-eggplant/

Those are hybrids so you may get something interesting, you may not get much of anything at all, you may get something different from each plant.....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

By the way want to hear something super cool?

Those pumpkins sprouted overnight in my basement germination station and everything on that tray came up bright yellow because there's no light down there. The plants have now been at the window for only about 6 hours and they're already noticibly green.

Plants are so cool. They make me happy.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

is shiso supposed to be really hard to germinate? soaking the last third of this seed packet now for a final attempt after coming up with nothing on the last ~25 seeds/two batches

fertilized the big bed with fish emulsion for the first time this morning and the similarity to cooking fish sauce is loving me up

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Should you plant seeds that already have been growing in starter pods outside the day before it's set to rain tomorrow and the day after? wont they get washed out?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Our man CommonShore is king of the pumpkin patch

Everyone hail to the Pumpkin King now

This is Halloween, this is Halloween
Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!

In this town we call home
Everyone hail to the pumpkin song

CommonShore posted:

See thread title. This is their first time meeting sunlight!

Motronic posted:

CommonShore posted:

There are few who'd deny, at what I do I am the best
For my talents are renowned far and wide
When it comes to surprises in the moonlit night
I excel without ever even trying
With the slightest little effort of my ghostlike charms
I have seen grown men give out a shriek
With the wave of my hand, and a well-placed moan
I have swept the very bravest off their feet

Yet year after year, it's the same routine
And I grow so weary of the sound of screams
And I, CommonShore, the Pumpkin King
Have grown so tired of the same old thing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok Comboomer posted:

Our man CommonShore is king of the pumpkin patch

Everyone hail to the Pumpkin King now

This is Halloween, this is Halloween
Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!

In this town we call home
Everyone hail to the pumpkin song

:v:

Look at that! So green now!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Chard posted:

is shiso supposed to be really hard to germinate? soaking the last third of this seed packet now for a final attempt after coming up with nothing on the last ~25 seeds/two batches

Yes. The one time I grew it successfully from seed I stratified the seed in the freezer and used gibberellin. Since then I just buy one shiso seedling every year from this hippy herb lady at the farmer's market.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Asparagus crowns evoke face-huggers from Alien.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yes. The one time I grew it successfully from seed I stratified the seed in the freezer and used gibberellin. Since then I just buy one shiso seedling every year from this hippy herb lady at the farmer's market.

that seems like a good idea i should have done weeks ago, lol. maybe i'll put some of these last guys in the sauna with the chilis. couldn't possibly produce worse results than i've had so far

Chad Sexington posted:

:zoid:

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Chard posted:

I've gotten it to successfully germinate once and I wish I could remember specifically what I did to make that happen. I've tried various seed packs from Japan in recent years and haven't had success again. That reminds me that I should make my annual attempt again..

On the other hand red shiso was no problem and every year I have that popping up in the garden like weeds. I moved into a new house last winter and now have it coming up again from some soil I brought in to mix with the stuff that was already here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone just gave me a Wasabi Mazuma plant. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm going to start googling in a bit but goons are usually more reliable

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

There's a wasabi farm not far from where I live. From what I understand it's pretty tricky to grow. I think they have poly tunnels over pea gravel beds that they flood, kind of like hydroponics? I don't know how well it does indoors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have experience in killing a couple of them quickly.

The temperature and humidity requirements are, from everything I read, quite strict, but I didn’t get a chance to kill them with that because mine succumbed to rot.

I were to try again, I would go with a thick layer of gravel over a very gritty potting mix. I think mine retained way too much moisture.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's interesting and I'm glad I asked! the greenhouse label on it says "full shade, lots of moisture" and that's about it, so I was thinking of planting on the north side of my polytunnel, outside.

Ok I'll think about this carefully

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My plan, if I had not killed the wasabi first, was to bring it indoors have it in a terrarium because I just don’t have the outdoor climate for it. Few places do. The U.S. has the coastal Pacific Northwest and I hear it’s also grown in the mountains of North Carolina.

That said, this guy grows it outdoors in Fremont, California, and that’s hotter than I thought I could get by with. People say it suffers even in the low eighties Fahrenheit, but it gets well above that in Fremont in the summer. It is in deep shade, of course, and the the terrarium he’s using makes all the difference in humidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54jbCI1UUfg

This is some of the gravel I would try to emulate if I got more wasabi starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgVpRNNyJ54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVsVjQWaO0

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommonShore posted:

Someone just gave me a Wasabi Mazuma plant. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm going to start googling in a bit but goons are usually more reliable

I have one plant, that I've kept in a pot largely in the shade, without it dying, for the past year. I'm in the PNW. Apparently the pot I have it in is too small, though, so I'll be sticking it in something bigger.

Also, I found this quite informative Youtube series from a wasabi farm in Oregon:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl37JKhslo1Oef2eD3vg-eA/videos

As others have noted, if you're outside the PNW, you may be SOL.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Chad Sexington posted:

You might have about 3 time too many for that bed.

CommonShore posted:

I can confirm that wasabi grows fine in the UK, it’s a shade loving woodland type plant I think, mine is doing fantastically under a big bush keeping the full sun off it, tripled in size in 18 months.

Normal soil, nothing special I’ve done to it other than mulch with compost.

Keep it moist (easy in my climate), can’t go wrong. It’s been outside all winter with no issues, though I am apparently in the equivalent of USDA zone 9a.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

wooger posted:

I only actually planted in half of them after consulting the interwebs. Trying to figure out what to do with all the others -- not all of them pictured! May try and just plant along the property line to see if they take because I do like the look of the fully grown fronds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just planted 18 asparagus roots too! - put them ~18" apart in two rows.

I think I'm going to grow the Wasabi in a container indoors as I'm like zone 3h continential semi-arid. Our climate is so bad for wasabi that giving me one is borderline a practical joke.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

wooger posted:

I can confirm that wasabi grows fine in the UK, it’s a shade loving woodland type plant I think, mine is doing fantastically under a big bush keeping the full sun off it, tripled in size in 18 months.

Normal soil, nothing special I’ve done to it other than mulch with compost.

Keep it moist (easy in my climate), can’t go wrong. It’s been outside all winter with no issues, though I am apparently in the equivalent of USDA zone 9a.

Re: USDA zone 9a in the UK.
I get that it has to do with air and sea currents, but this is still crazy to me, and I'd like to explain why so you can better appreciate your climate:

London is at a higher latitude (~51°N) than Sumas, Washington (49°N), which is the northernmost incorporated place in the contiguous United States. Your options in North America for being anywhere near UK latitudes are Alaska or Canada.
I'm near a border between zone 8a and 8b and I'm at less than 32°N.
There are places not too far from me that are walking distance from the Gulf of Mexico that aren't 9a.
:psyduck:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

jet stream is a helluva drug

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

poeticoddity posted:

Re: USDA zone 9a in the UK.
I get that it has to do with air and sea currents, but this is still crazy to me, and I'd like to explain why so you can better appreciate your climate:

London is at a higher latitude (~51°N) than Sumas, Washington (49°N), which is the northernmost incorporated place in the contiguous United States. Your options in North America for being anywhere near UK latitudes are Alaska or Canada.
I'm near a border between zone 8a and 8b and I'm at less than 32°N.
There are places not too far from me that are walking distance from the Gulf of Mexico that aren't 9a.
:psyduck:

Yeah my 3 hardy is at 50°N.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

CommonShore posted:

I started growing Daruma wasabi a few months ago. I think it's a bit more heat tolerant than Mazuma, but they should be fairly similar.

It wants good drainage. I used a high-quality potting soil mixed with a lot of perlite, and a pot with extra holes drilled in the bottom. It drains fast enough that I can water daily, which the plant seems to appreciate.

It hates the sun. On bright days, it will wilt even under doubled-up shade cloth. I finally moved it up against the wall of a building where the sun never reaches and it seems happy.

Can tolerate light frost but starts to suffer damage at 27° F. I bring mine inside if it dips below 30.

The site I bought my plant from has some good tips. I've mostly done what they say to do and have been successful so far. My plant is slowly but steadily adding leaves, anyway.

https://www.thewasabistore.com/wasabi-plant-starts

I do live in the Pacific Northwest though. The climate works in my favor here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Terraplane posted:

I started growing Daruma wasabi a few months ago. I think it's a bit more heat tolerant than Mazuma, but they should be fairly similar.

It wants good drainage. I used a high-quality potting soil mixed with a lot of perlite, and a pot with extra holes drilled in the bottom. It drains fast enough that I can water daily, which the plant seems to appreciate.

It hates the sun. On bright days, it will wilt even under doubled-up shade cloth. I finally moved it up against the wall of a building where the sun never reaches and it seems happy.

Can tolerate light frost but starts to suffer damage at 27° F. I bring mine inside if it dips below 30.

The site I bought my plant from has some good tips. I've mostly done what they say to do and have been successful so far. My plant is slowly but steadily adding leaves, anyway.

https://www.thewasabistore.com/wasabi-plant-starts

I do live in the Pacific Northwest though. The climate works in my favor here.

Yeaaaah based on what everyone is saying and showing to me, I think I'm going to grow my wasabi indoors in a large pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Yeah my 3 hardy is at 50°N.

My 8b is at 47.7 N. I grew up in 5a at 44N which isn’t very far from where it switches to zone 4 either.

Geography and weather is really strange and amazing.