Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Leperflesh posted:

Silver lining: it's nice to hear that TSR and/or WotC's review people actually did what they were supposed to do, for once.

A proponent of free love, because no one was buying what he was selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Comrade Koba posted:

is that supposed to be a bearded smiley face?
It's the "bearded man lapping up tears" face.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Leperflesh posted:

Silver lining: it's nice to hear that TSR and/or WotC's review people actually did what they were supposed to do, for once.

One imagines them banging their head(s) against their desk(s), over and over again.

"Dammit Greeeeeeeeeenwooood."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This reminds me of Gene Roddenberry's extremely horny story bible notes, except even Gene had some instinct that no one really wanted to hear about this poo poo, and therefore didn't write stuff that made aintitcoolnews seem tolerable.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This reminds me of Gene Roddenberry's extremely horny story bible notes, except even Gene had some instinct that no one really wanted to hear about this poo poo, and therefore didn't write stuff that made aintitcoolnews seem tolerable.
It was really important to Roddenberry that Ferengi have cartoonishly long dicks and he had to be talked down from making it canon

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

KingKalamari posted:

being little constricted or uncomfortable while pregnant, because rather than acquiring a ballooning belly, the High Lady always put on weight all over, and retained her poise, balance, and activities
I remember reading this quote years ago, and I still wonder how Ed Greenwood thinks pregnancy works. I guess when you're the chosen of a god, you can just kind of... distribute those baby parts all over and have Mystra assemble them at birth, like a model kit?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

moths posted:

Of loving course Greenwood would talk about ex hoarders in fawning terms, as if the man had a shortage of red flags.

What’s an ex-hoarder/why are they bad?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Antivehicular posted:

I remember reading this quote years ago, and I still wonder how Ed Greenwood thinks pregnancy works. I guess when you're the chosen of a god, you can just kind of... distribute those baby parts all over and have Mystra assemble them at birth, like a model kit?

Maybe it means Alustriel grows bigger like Ant-Man when she gets pregnant? It's really inexplicable and screams of "Horny man does not know how women's bodies work"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It means her tits and rear end got bigger instead

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LatwPIAT posted:

Please don't add load-bearing hyphens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LatwPIAT posted:

an ex Hoarder. e.g. someone who collects Ex-partners

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
From second hand chatter from mutual DMs Guild collaborators, Greenwood hasn't changed much with age. (At least regarding being a sentient fistful of red flags.)

Problem is that he's a big fish in that pond, so he's gets a "knock it off" at best.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Antivehicular posted:

The very boring answer is that yes, the goddess' blessing just kind of... spreads the baby all over until it's birth time.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

an ex Hoarder. e.g. someone who collects Ex-partners

And the reason this is such a red flag is what? I don’t understand.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite bit of ed greenwood lore is the implication that Elminster hosed a bear.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
He had a pocket full of horses
hosed the poo poo out of bears
Threw a knife into heaven
And could kill with a stare

(Did I mention his four nuts? Well he also had four dicks)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ZnG2T3y8A

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LatwPIAT posted:

And the reason this is such a red flag is what? I don’t understand.

You should look into why keeping all your exes on a divine superpowered leash for the rest of their lives isn't a red flag to you.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Toshimo posted:

You should look into why keeping all your exes on a divine superpowered leash for the rest of their lives isn't a red flag to you.

Oh come off it. moths was talking about ex hoarders, plural, in a way that made it clear this was a real-world phenomenon. I am clearly asking about why being a real-world, presumably non-supernatural, "ex hoarder" is a red flag.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LatwPIAT posted:

Oh come off it. moths was talking about ex hoarders, plural, in a way that made it clear this was a real-world phenomenon. I am clearly asking about why being a real-world, presumably non-supernatural, "ex hoarder" is a red flag.

Then say what you are trying to say instead of playing a coy gotcha game.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Then say what you are trying to say instead of playing a coy gotcha game.

What is an "ex hoarder" and why is it a bad thing? The only context I have for "ex hoarding" is that it entails, presumably, being on friendly relations with multiple ex-partners. Which, on the whole, seems fairly innocuous and not like it would be a red flag for Greenwood to praise. So, therefore, I want to know what the issue is, because I'm clearly ignorant of it and I want to understand.

Is that clear enough for you or are you going to be weirdly hostile still?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm not sure the context that moths is referring to, but in my experience/perception someone who is 'friendly' with a bunch of exes is either a serial dater, or an 'open relationship' harem builder or serial cheater - they're clearly keeping their previous options open.

I wouldn't consider it a red flag they're a bad person, but I wouldn't get romantically entagled with any of the people involved.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My problem with ex hoarders is the hoarding part. Some of us don’t even have a single ex, stop keeping them to yourself!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey I'll give moths a chance to explain further but everyone else can go ahead and stop fighting over what they might have meant.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Kurieg posted:

My favorite bit of ed greenwood lore is the implication that Elminster hosed a bear.

Elminster is practically a god, or close to being an avatar of the goddess of magic (and considering the amount of times she's been killed, I think acted as her host at one point?), so this wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a god.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tibalt posted:

I'm not sure the context that moths is referring to, but in my experience/perception someone who is 'friendly' with a bunch of exes is either a serial dater, or an 'open relationship' harem builder or serial cheater - they're clearly keeping their previous options open.

I wouldn't consider it a red flag they're a bad person, but I wouldn't get romantically entagled with any of the people involved.

Or they can just have healthy, friendly relationships with their exes like adults?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Tibalt posted:

whats the phrase...telling on yourself?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Tibalt posted:

'serial dater' huh

just how many people can one date before it gets pathologized

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

moths posted:

quote:

...one of those rare kind, understanding, warm people who has the knack of staying close, affectionate friends with former lovers, even in the presence of other ex-flames.
Of loving course Greenwood would talk about ex hoarders in fawning terms, as if the man had a shortage of red flags.
It's pretty clear we're not talking amicable partings on good terms and a civil relationship with your exes here, but if you all want to go to bat for Greenwood and people like Greenwood, you're welcome to your opinion.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gtrmp posted:

'serial dater' huh

just how many people can one date before it gets pathologized

It's just one for podcasts.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think what gets to me is the implication that Alustriel isn't just good at maintaining platonic relationships with ex-partners, it's that those ex-partners are fanatically loyal, even her "champions," and that this might be her major way of making political allies? Not, like, statecraft or anything. (If she's attacked in her kingdom, she'll be defended by dozens of people -- not because she's a beloved and respected queen, or even because she's the queen full stop and royalty has a posse on their home turf, but because those dozens of defenders have all personally slept with her.) It's every generic misogynist stereotype about women acquiring all their power and prestige via sex, but it's totally cool because she's sweet and fun and the author wants to gently caress her.

(It's also very striking how much information that passage doesn't have about Alustriel as a person, except generic-idealized-partner stuff. She loves to laugh, but she's not a bitch, you guys! She's really nice and considerate as well as being hot, and she has tons of kids just because someone else wants it, but it's cool, she's still hot and fun. She's got a favorite partner who's the father of all her children, but they're not, like, exclusive or anything, because that would make her less sexually available. It's just a big pile of Selfless gently caress-Mom fantasy with no glimmer of personality at all, because why do you need to give important female NPCs personalities besides being hot and nice?)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I think what gets to me is the implication that Alustriel isn't just good at maintaining platonic relationships with ex-partners, it's that those ex-partners are fanatically loyal, even her "champions," and that this might be her major way of making political allies? Not, like, statecraft or anything. (If she's attacked in her kingdom, she'll be defended by dozens of people -- not because she's a beloved and respected queen, or even because she's the queen full stop and royalty has a posse on their home turf, but because those dozens of defenders have all personally slept with her.) It's every generic misogynist stereotype about women acquiring all their power and prestige via sex, but it's totally cool because she's sweet and fun and the author wants to gently caress her.

It's this.

There's no need to actually tell a compelling story about a female character retaining a position of power due to actual competence, just give her a +2 Vagina of Domination.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Antivehicular posted:

all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LatwPIAT posted:

What is an "ex hoarder" and why is it a bad thing? The only context I have for "ex hoarding" is that it entails, presumably, being on friendly relations with multiple ex-partners. Which, on the whole, seems fairly innocuous and not like it would be a red flag for Greenwood to praise. So, therefore, I want to know what the issue is, because I'm clearly ignorant of it and I want to understand.

I'm not talking about people who can break up and remain civil (or even friendly!)

I'm referring to people whose entire circle is primarily former partners, who employ manipulative behaviors to keep them from moving on.

One example I knew was someone who kept "trophies" of former partners by the bed, and was social media friends with each of them as a means of keeping tabs. As someone "strayed" they'd escalate, changing orbit and getting manipulative to keep them theirs.

Imagine a polyarmorous situation but only one person holds power and sincerely wants to be there. Unhealthy? Not if you're Ed Greenwood!

It comes up in fiction with stuff like Dracula's brides, but after a handful of real-life examples I've developed an aversion.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm almost terrified to wonder what some of ya'll's opinions on Polyamory are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

I'm not talking about people who can break up and remain civil (or even friendly!)

I'm referring to people whose entire circle is primarily former partners, who employ manipulative behaviors to keep them from moving on.

One example I knew was someone who kept "trophies" of former partners by the bed, and was social media friends with each of them as a means of keeping tabs. As someone "strayed" they'd escalate, changing orbit and getting manipulative to keep them theirs.

Imagine a polyarmorous situation but only one person holds power and sincerely wants to be there. Unhealthy? Not if you're Ed Greenwood!

It comes up in fiction with stuff like Dracula's brides, but after a handful of real-life examples I've developed an aversion.

So this is you doing a whole bunch of projection, got it - you've got obvious issues with friendships with exes and you're extending it to this anecdote about Ed running games, despite there being no evidence to support this allegation (which is about a fictional character even).

This whole thing has been really disgusting, just people piling on to display a bunch of sexual or gender anxieties using the quote from Ed as a strawman. For a forum that prides itself on critical thinking and argument, it's really disappointing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

WOW! I think you may be projecting some projection there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arthil posted:

Actual, consensual poly is fine. The problem is """Poly""" where only one of the partners is allowed to have multiples and none of them are allowed to seek anyone else, regardless of how long it's been since they were even allowed to have sex with the primary.

There's all sorts of stories on r/Relationships of people wanting to "Open the marriage" which amounts to "I want a hall pass to cheat on you." that falls apart when the other person actually finds a partner.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Arthil posted:

actually it's disgusting that some people mix greek and latin like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Arivia's excellent posts never disappoint.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)