Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

realized i havent gotten a guppy since the dlc

Guppy items being removed from Secret Rooms probably has something to do with it, especially if you're not checking Curse Rooms (where they feel more common then before- I feel like every third run I have either Guppy's Collar or Head by the end of Basement) or Devil Deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ive gupped repeatedly and plan to keep doing it and i dont think any of you can stop me

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I just ruined a really good Bethany run because I forgot what dead cat does and took it from a curse room

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Ive gupped repeatedly and plan to keep doing it and i dont think any of you can stop me

Yeah, I've gotten Guppy multiple times once I 1) Started prioritizing Curse Rooms more since they feel a lot better in Repentance between their much better item pool, good rate of soul/black hearts, and not costing you Deals, and 2) Stopped being a goddamn baby and started checking and taking Devil Deals again since they're still real good, just not free wins as often as AB/AB+.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PostNouveau posted:

They added a guppy item and a guppy trinket (counts toward the transformation but only if held). Both need to be unlocked though.

New guppy item is loving cool, too

shows you the contents of chests, tinted rocks, etc before you open them. Believe it's a Tainted Judas unlock!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ran into a somewhat busted interaction on Bethany. Yeah, shocker, but: picked up Brittle Bones, which converted all of my health to bone hearts. Then I got Guppy's Paw. I had no red health to convert, but the use button spawned an orbital anyhow. I got up to 8, and any time one died I could just mash use to spawn a new one for free, as many times as needed. The tears fired were unremarkable, but hey, free orbitals are pretty great.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

No Wave posted:

I can live with every other character's design but isn't tainted Lazarus just too poo poo? I feel like I'm missing something.

I think the idea is that you don't have to give up on items that doesn't synergize or surplus health, because you can flip to another character and they might need it.
In reality you're just running two bad runs at the same time and some items does not work. If you grab the black candle as dead Laz and enter a floor as living Laz, you still get curses that won't go away when you flip.

Flip needs to be a 4 charge item instead of 6 charge to make the risk/reward worth it. That way you can't cheese it with AAA battery and 9 volt and flip to one guy every room, but you also don't have to do six(!) rooms to get a flip for a devil deal on the Basement/Downpour.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Wow, didn't realize Incubus also got a similar nerf like the 20/20 did.

Reducing it to 25% damage is a hefty nerf. Ow.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's the deal with the Dogma fight starting you right on top of the boss? It seems like half the time you end up taking a hit within a split second of the fight starting.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Yes, that's been pissing me off, too

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I just ruined a really good Bethany run because I forgot what dead cat does and took it from a curse room

I ruined a run where I took 9 lives from a curse room with half a heart, was 2nd guppy item. Ran right out of the room and took damage and killed me completely because apparently even though i picked up the item the effect hadn't come on yet?? Bullshit!

Also ruined a run as Blue Baby where everything came together in the first couple floors--had Sacred Heart and Dark Bum and great rate of fire--only to die as The Lost. Which hadn't happened in like 20 tries. God drat it you mini corn poo poo shooter enemies.

Game really hated me last night. Did NOT want me to clear mother as BB. Knocked it out this morning during coffee though :)

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 16, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Moon Monster posted:

What's the deal with the Dogma fight starting you right on top of the boss? It seems like half the time you end up taking a hit within a split second of the fight starting.
Yeah it's dumb. Hold down as you end the cutscene and you'll avoid the damage.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Reducing it to 25% damage is a hefty nerf. Ow.
It sounds like you might have misunderstood something, its damage is only reduced by 25% (except when you're Lilith, her Incubi don't get any reduction).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for people playing today's daily, skip the floor 2 treasure room -- you're playing as azazel and it's polyphemius which does nothing but double the charge time of your shot

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Congrats to Isaac on reaching the Hell page, and to a good final release

Also it turns out that Broken Modem absolutely cripples Hush

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

for people playing today's daily, skip the floor 2 treasure room -- you're playing as azazel and it's polyphemius which does nothing but double the charge time of your shot

welcome back forums

turns out some dailies are bugged and give 0 score/a fail no matter what so don't do today's daily + check the leaderboards to see if anyone's actually submitted a time in the future

there went an hour long run

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The eraser is a really funny item for Eden to start with lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just tried Tainted Cain for the first time, and if anyone is having trouble getting that one unlock they really want, well, clicker and gnawed leaf are somewhat and really easy to craft respectively, just sayin'.

On another note, if you always skipped 7 Seals (little horsemen buddy) before definitely give it a try now. It's always been super powerful, so I'd often take it and just deal with the explosions, but the danger from those has been reduced by several orders of magnitude. The explosion from the war flies is much smaller (still does a ton of damage) and you no longer have to crawl up an enemy's butthole to get them to fly off and attack it. I don't think I've taken a single hit from them and I haven't even been paying attention to the flies.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally, Mega Satan down with Afterbirth+ Keeper. Got Piggy bank and Head of the Keeper for defense so I had enough coin spawns in case I got hit and Ludovico surprisingly helped (specially since I got Ipecac and Chocolate Milk at the Chest, which made it even more powerful). Fun fact: the Bookworm transformation made Ludovico glitch and be constantly spawning an extra tear which made it look like one of the small tears was teleporting.

I also got the chance to do Delirium thanks to I'm Drowsy. Now I feel dumb for not trying to go for ??? since I had the chance. Well, only 5 Mega Satan clears left, and it's all on less annoying characters (Eve, Samson, Lazarus, Apollyon, Forgotten) so it shouldn't be that much of a pain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I keep getting good runs with Maggie (love her new hair, as well) but keep forgetting to grab the Fool card before fighting mom. Three times in a row I blaze through and forget what I'm really after.
Last run also got me down to 0.5 speed which is the lowest I've ever seen, which is okay since my dmg was absurd.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Tried my first run with Tainted Lilith. She seems like a fun character.

I found Epic Fetus and expected an easy win, but for some reason the targeting was really difficult and unreliable. Sometimes I'd try to fire and nothing would happen, sometimes it would fire normally, and sometimes it felt like the crosshair wasn't behaving properly. I still won, partly because I could still use the familiar, but it was a pain to deal with.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I was curious what those gray buttons can actually pay out with, and it doesn't look good:
https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Buttons#Afterbirth_.E2.80.A0
There's a whopping 15.5% chance to get anything better than a couple of standard pickups, a troll bomb, or a room full of monsters; and the monsters can get kind of nasty on the final floors.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei posted:

I was curious what those gray buttons can actually pay out with, and it doesn't look good:
https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Buttons#Afterbirth_.E2.80.A0
There's a whopping 15.5% chance to get anything better than a couple of standard pickups, a troll bomb, or a room full of monsters; and the monsters can get kind of nasty on the final floors.

I loving hate it when I go into a curse room or a secret room and it's just a button.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

alriiight finally managed to clear hush, the lamb and mega satan on a jacob and esau run. just uhhh all the even harder bosses left

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am loving all the tainted characters so far. When they said this was nearly a sequel's worth of content, they weren't foolin'.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, I saw Pandora's Box and decided "Hey, I could go and get the unlock for using it in Dark Room on the way to MSatan."

Then the game gave me Blank Card+Chaos Card and how can I say no to the biggest "I win" button in the game even after Repentance.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Man, I saw Pandora's Box and decided "Hey, I could go and get the unlock for using it in Dark Room on the way to MSatan."

Then the game gave me Blank Card+Chaos Card and how can I say no to the biggest "I win" button in the game even after Repentance.
Of all the afterbirth decisions that tick me off the one that bothers me the most is Chaos Card not working on Delirium.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i always whiff with the dang chaos card lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Super No Vacancy posted:

i always whiff with the dang chaos card lol

Just accept taking damage and run right into the boss so it's impossible to miss. That's my strategy at least

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I have no problems aiming it? You just inmediately move a little in the direction of the boss and throw it, unless it's a boss that moves a lot in which case you wait a bit.

And I'm honestly fine with not being able to kill Delirium and the Beast with it in exchange for being usable against everything else. hell, even after the Blank Card nerf it's only a 6 room charge so you can have it up for every boss.

I mean, I get it's rare as gently caress, I've only seen it twice or thrice in 168 hours but I still think it's the Top 5 best items in the game for sheer "free completition mark" power.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The problem is that aiming it pointlessly acts differently from literally every other thrown item (except one other, I think?) so I inevitably forget how it works and waste it. Also it's just dumb in general that the default throw direction is down and not whatever direction Isaac is currently facing.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Yeah it'd be a good quick fix to throw the card in the direction of the tears, wasted a few cards before figuring out the throw mechanic wasn't great.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The Rock Bottom item was already in Antibirth, and it's even more ridiculous than I expected :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zC5u8p86Gk

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

John Murdoch posted:

The problem is that aiming it pointlessly acts differently from literally every other thrown item (except one other, I think?) so I inevitably forget how it works and waste it. Also it's just dumb in general that the default throw direction is down and not whatever direction Isaac is currently facing.

p sure it's intentionally different just to troll, and i don't think it's much to manually remember after you gently caress up once or twice

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yo what the gently caress all my achievements disappeared. is this a known thing?

i was up over 200 and had done poo poo like max out the greed donation machine before so starting over isn't an option in the slightest. what the gently caress

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think steam is being goofy i just looked and it says i unlocked 'hidden achievement' but doesnt say what it was, as if i'm not looking at my own account

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just looked at your profile and it shows 252 achievements for me

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, apparently the solution is to go to the secrets page in the options and it'll force them all to re-unlock

edit: lol

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The new soul consumable items all look delicious. Edmund should do a kickstarter to make some gummis or something.

No Wave posted:

Of all the afterbirth decisions that tick me off the one that bothers me the most is Chaos Card not working on Delirium.

Same, that and Dad's Key not opening the door into the boss rush/Hush. You can use it (or Mr. Me) to leave the boss rush, though.