Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

DOMDOM posted:

LinkedIn says he's still the director of community engagement but when is the last time he engaged the community?

Doesn't mean a lot my LinkedIn still says I work for a company I left almost 10 years ago. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/NS3cLDE.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo posted:

And Ben made the toilet unusable for hours.

And lost a spaceship seat.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Aerox posted:

It’s the year 3000 and we’ve mastered space travel, but unfortunately we still haven’t figured out how to get more than 5 movies on the android tablet shoved into your seat or develop a machine to automatically measure and pour drinks.

And computers / server blades have to be continuously maintained and babysat.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

And computers / server blades have to be continuously maintained and babysat.

And we still have "server blades" and "computers" LOL

Star Citizer lore sucks so much.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jonny Shiloh posted:

And we still have "server blades" and "computers" LOL

Star Citizer lore sucks so much.

It really truly does.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

those are some weird-rear end fingers.

t0, for sure.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aerox posted:

It’s the year 3000 and we’ve mastered space travel, but unfortunately we still haven’t figured out how to get more than 5 movies on the android tablet shoved into your seat or develop a machine to automatically measure and pour drinks.

Roombas, drink mixers, hard drivers, etc. exist but that's not the point. The point is to have someone poorer than you mop the floor, mix your drinks, fluff your pillow, and change your VHS tapes.

SC's backers are very clear about what they want, and CIG knows.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ty commando

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Can someone tell me, or at least point out where in the archives, what it was like when goons started to turn against Star Citizen? Like how long did it take? Was their like a civil war or did everyone agree in mass that it was hosed?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lammasu posted:

Can someone tell me, or at least point out where in the archives, what it was like when goons started to turn against Star Citizen? Like how long did it take? Was their like a civil war or did everyone agree in mass that it was hosed?

I think it was some time in 2014 where some eyebrows were getting raised. In 2015 the July Blog, regardless of what anyone thinks of Derek, did in fact appear to get right under CIG's skin and kicked off the funniest times I remember with this trainwreck, where CIG was committing insane numbers of back-to-back unforced errors, and were literally responding in real time to the poo poo posted in this thread, right down to patching the game files as we pointed out their plagiarized art. I miss those crazy times. Beer's email exchange with Sandi threw even more gasoline on those flames. Those who were already not sure about the project saw CIG unmasked during this time, and not everyone was happy that our misgivings turned out to be 100% justified. But we didn't turn all at once. I'd say if you took 2015 as a whole, it took most of that year for the pie chart to switch from 75% good faith to 75% doubter, with the remaining 25% in both cases split between uncertain people giving them the benefit of the doubt, and a small number of die hards. To this day there are one or two people who still repeat the company line verbatim and treat CIG as a game development company, saying things like "in the latest patch, this vehicle is flyable, new missions are in" etc. despite the fact that those phrases mean very, very different things in Star Citizen vs. literally any other pre-alpha product.

There are still many of us, myself included, who bought into this project, if even just the starter package (which is what I bought.) Very early on, the starter package included a very impressive tutorial that I played and it got me genuinely excited about the project. That code and associated gameplay experience is long, long gone, and in retrospect I doubt CIG actually built it. When the refund cascade began and CIG feared a run on the bank, they released the "PU" as "proof" they delivered, used it as an excuse to deny refunds, but that disastrous release is the rotten foundation that poisoned the heart of the project permanently. To this day we're saddled with that defective code - what came before was very different and looked like it could turn to something one day.

Even after that release the "game" still functioned to some degree, this was the golden era of :pgabz: videos, but CIG, I suspect using those very videos as a guide, dismantled what little functionality and fun remained in the project and turned it into the unmitigated, anti-fun disaster it remains to this day.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 16, 2021

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

How much you guys think these DF commandos are exactly in for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFcerTa6Ho

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Scruffpuff posted:

I think it was some time in 2014 where some eyebrows were getting raised. In 2015 the July Blog, regardless of what anyone thinks of Derek, did in fact appear to get right under CIG's skin and kicked off the funniest times I remember with this trainwreck, where CIG was committing insane numbers of back-to-back unforced errors, and were literally responding in real time to the poo poo posted in this thread, right down to patching the game files as we pointed out their plagiarized art. I miss those crazy times. Beer's email exchange with Sandi threw even more gasoline on those flames. Those who were already not sure about the project saw CIG unmasked during this time, and not everyone was happy that our misgivings turned out to be 100% justified. But we didn't turn all at once. I'd say if you took 2015 as a whole, it took most of that year for the pie chart to switch from 75% good faith to 75% doubter, with the remaining 25% in both cases split between uncertain people giving them the benefit of the doubt, and a small number of die hards. To this day there are one or two people who still repeat the company line verbatim and treat CIG as a game development company, saying things like "in the latest patch, this vehicle is flyable, new missions are in" etc. despite the fact that those phrases mean very, very different things in Star Citizen vs. literally any other pre-alpha product.

There are still many of us, myself included, who bought into this project, if even just the starter package (which is what I bought.) Very early on, the starter package included a very impressive tutorial that I played and it got me genuinely excited about the project. That code and associated gameplay experience is long, long gone, and in retrospect I doubt CIG actually built it. When the refund cascade began and CIG feared a run on the bank, they released the "PU" as "proof" they delivered, used it as an excuse to deny refunds, but that disastrous release is the rotten foundation that poisoned the heart of the project permanently. To this day we're saddled with that defective code - what came before was very different and looked like it could turn to something one day.

Even after that release the "game" still functioned to some degree, this was the golden era of :pgabz: videos, but CIG, I suspect using those very videos as a guide, dismantled what little functionality and fun remained in the project and turned it into the unmitigated, anti-fun disaster it remains to this day.

What was the Beer and Sandi email exchange about?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How the gently caress is this sad scam still going on?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

How much you guys think these DF commandos are exactly in for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFcerTa6Ho

I think it's only Alex, I'm not sure that the other DF people care about it beyond "it is a space game that has some nice screenshots". He's kinda the main PC guy at Digital Foundry.

Still, he's one of the few backers that has a huge audience to advertise to and he is completely fine with smoothing over all the negative aspects of the game's development in order to push their sanitized message. It's a stain on DF's otherwise good output.

Fun comments:

quote:

I find it interesting the amount of heat this studio has taken for the long development of this game. In the same time period, major game studios have gone from king of the hill to utter trash in the eyes of consumers. Games are being released half baked left and right and CIG are quietly ticking away in the background polishing and taking their time with every aspect of the game. Patience and passion are qualities which have generally been sacrificed for quick cash in this industry. It is a very different/old school approach to game design and I am excited for the outcome.

quote:

Awesome video! As en Environment Artist myself I have long wondered HOW they manage to achieve that level of detail while still having adequate performance.

quote:

I used to think this game was vapourware but now I realise what's involved I understand the timescale. And I appreciate that because it will give me enough time to build and insane immersive rig.

quote:

Yeah, the game gets tons of flak but i dont think people understand what is being done and the scale it's being done on finding ways to do everything the SC devs are takes a lot of time and the result is a level of detail no other game has ever come close to.

quote:

Regardless of your feelings on Star Citizen as a game you cannot deny the quality of their tech. It's truly amazing stuff.

quote:

I just started playing this game a week ago and I am hooked. It is one of the BEST sims I've ever played.

quote:

I used to be one of those people always making fun of Star Citizen as this eternal feature creep, development hell, early access expansive joke that would never see it's final release... I don't think it matters anymore. I'm now able to appreciate it for what it is. Now it's this entity... sort of playground for tech development that may even impact and assist development of other games. I never tried Star Citizen myself and may never try it, but I can appreciate for what it is now.

quote:

So much this. Even if it "fails" the amount of tech that has been developed can be helped in other games. This is the same way we improve our technologies IRL. Some companies make the start, others finish it off.

quote:

backed the game near the beginning, but haven't played it much as alpha-access games are too rough around the edges, and I don't want to feel done with a game and have my entire experience of it seem so lackluster.

Videos like this make me feel that the money was still well spent, and I look to jumping back in once the core tech is done and most of the bugs are squashed.

quote:

this graphics and physics engine - a world engine, if you will - could be a potential game changer for a number of different industries, not just games. Imagine some studio licensing the engine and produce space drama like the Expanse entirely using this engine with just voice actors and animators. Or create and connect games of different franchises like Blade Runner and Alien in a single unified game space. Ridley Scott confirmed that those 2 franchises are indeed in a single universe so creating game or drama series to combine them in Star Citizen world is not too far fetched.

I know the usual rule of thumb is "Don't read the comments" but in this case it can be amusing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

ErrEff posted:

I know the usual rule of thumb is "Don't read the comments" but in this case it can be amusing.
I saw those comments and I probably know what those 600+ CIG employees do. They are astroturfing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How the gently caress is this sad scam still going on?

Monetising neckbeards proved more lucrative and long term than even Crobbo’s wildest dreams

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Extra funny because most liquid cooling setups aren't actually more thermally efficient than air cooling setups. Heat pipes use phase transition and are way more effective than most gamers imagine.

But also yeah lol a skybox shouldn't require much CPU, even with some nice cloud particles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

smellmycheese posted:

Monetising neckbeards proved more lucrative and long term than even Crobbo’s wildest dreams

I mean, I shouldn't be shocked by this given everything else that's happened in the last five years, but I am.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, I shouldn't be shocked by this given everything else that's happened in the last five years, but I am.

Crob was doing non fungible JPEGs way ahead of his time

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

drat, that toastie posted by Thoatse looks tasty.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Missing the ring.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Lammasu posted:

What was the Beer and Sandi email exchange about?

There are links to the best email exchange ever here

Check VC's recap thread if you haven't seen. And spacetoaster had a drama thread but think the archive ate it. Doesn't show for me.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

drat, that toastie posted by Thoatse looks tasty.

toaste.cx

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Pixelate posted:

There are links to the best email exchange ever here

Check VC's recap thread if you haven't seen. And spacetoaster had a drama thread but think the archive ate it. Doesn't show for me.

I think it's when Sandi said she had a bunch of postgrad degrees then showed like some receipts from Moto Mart as proof.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

The Titanic posted:

I'd be curious to know some day if there was this growing tension between CR and Ben because it seems clear CR didn't care about wing commander more than using it as leverage to get money, which may not have been the impression Ben had when he got aboard the project.

It absolutely makes sense to me.

To Ben, Chris was his idol. The guy that created the franchise that saved his eyesight. The link between the months and months that he was in recovery and Wing Commander is indelibly burned into his persona. That event has been driving his obsession with Wing Commander for decades.

He finally gets the opportunity to work with his hero on what Ben imagines to be the next incarnation of Wing Commander. Except over the years it turns out that Chris doesn't give 2 fucks about Wing Commander and mostly doesn't know what the hell Ben is talking about with all his obscure references. Ben bought into the idea that Chris wanted to make the next Wing Commander game, when really he was just extending his grifting experience in the film industry into the "interactive movie game" genre.

Ben probably kept trying to do 'game' things with Star Citizen which is a no-no with Chris, as well as loving up the spaceship designs. I suppose at some point the clash became too much and Ben gets sent to live on a farm upstate.

And this is how you end up with Alexis tweeting photos of Ben playing Wing Commander for the 400th time somewhere in Maryland while he gets paid 100k/year to keep his mouth shut.

You might say that Ben is living the dream, as CIG is currently paying him to apparently compile obscure weapons data from Wing Commander that absolutely no one cares about except Ben.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 16, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Don't meet your heroes (because they'll be embarrassed of you and their wife will try to sabotage your diet for fun).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Sit rep

SO CLOSE to elevators working! posted:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

To Ben, Chris was his idol. The guy that created the franchise that saved his eyesight. The link between the months and months that he was in recovery and Wing Commander is indelibly burned into his persona. That event has been driving his obsession with Wing Commander for decades.

He finally gets the opportunity to work with his hero on what Ben imagines to be the next incarnation of Wing Commander. Except over the years it turns out that Chris doesn't give 2 fucks about Wing Commander and mostly doesn't know what the hell Ben is talking about with all his obscure references. Ben bought into the idea that Chris wanted to make the next Wing Commander game, when really he was just extending his grifting experience in the film industry into the "interactive movie game" genre.

Ben probably kept trying to do 'game' things with Star Citizen which is a no-no with Chris, as well as loving up the spaceship designs. I suppose at some point the clash became too much and Ben gets sent to live on a farm upstate.

And this is how you end up with Alexis tweeting photos of Ben playing Wing Commander for the 400th time somewhere in Maryland while he gets paid 100k/year to keep his mouth shut.

You might say that Ben is living the dream, as CIG is currently paying him to apparently compile obscure weapons data from Wing Commander that absolutely no one cares about except Ben.

i'd love to be a fly on the wall there.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Extra funny because most liquid cooling setups aren't actually more thermally efficient than air cooling setups. Heat pipes use phase transition and are way more effective than most gamers imagine.

But also yeah lol a skybox shouldn't require much CPU, even with some nice cloud particles.

No no no

They liquid cool so that when the game inevitably crashes, it's the fault of their copper pipes, not the game. Never the game.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fidelitious posted:

Ben must have kompromat on the turtleneck tickler

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Roombas, drink mixers, hard drivers, etc. exist but that's not the point. The point is to have someone poorer than you mop the floor, mix your drinks, fluff your pillow, and change your VHS tapes.

SC's backers are very clear about what they want, and CIG knows.

Relive the sordid history of Kings and Queens from a bygone era with all their kinks and stands and the proms below them who must worship them as their lords, except its world war 2 in space.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
What to make of Ben? Seems like he was a key designer of their whale fracking machine but also got the ultimate “never meet your heroes” experience, plus he clearly has some unresolved trauma from his youth. I was pretty sympathetic until I saw the super messed up “humor” of The Book of Loaf (another pollutant I can never expunge from my search history), at which point I came to the conclusion he’s just a colossal gross neckbeard who in no way deserves his current cushy gig.

He knows where a lot of the bodies are buried, though. He must. Otherwise they wouldn’t still be paying him a six-figure salary to dress up like Freddie Prinze Jr. and pretend-fly a cardboard box around the ‘verse all day, or whatever it is he does now.

Edit: can you imagine how crushed that guy must have been to realize El Crob sharted out the plot to WC as a mandatory prerequisite to becoming an almost-Real Hollywood Director and didn’t actually care at all about the IP? Doesn’t absolve him of his shittyness, but that must have been pretty close to an existential crisis.

Deskeletonized fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 16, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
In the last 500 years,

Scruffpuff posted:

...And then everybody was deskeletonized.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Danknificent posted:

I think it's when Sandi said she had a bunch of postgrad degrees then showed like some receipts from Moto Mart as proof.

If I recall, it was sort of the "final boss fight" after Sandi had been positioning herself as the smartest person in the room for 5 years and people fed that belief.

She chose to go toe to toe in an email dispute with Beer4TheBeerGod and ended up losing fairly spectacularly, but I don't recall the exact details other than it was funny at the time.

This was basically what led to her leaving being a forward facing voice. CIG management retreated behind the big corporate face after this altercation, ne'er to be seen again basically.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Scruffpuff posted:

The July blog and CIG's meltdown about that one Kotaku article actually was what brought me to the thread here. At first I thought y'all were just some bitter game dads who just wanted to poo poo on other people's stuff. But the people in this thread seemed a lot nicer and more lucid than the citizers, not to mention that this thread was genuinely funny. In the big Star Citizen augmented reality game, this thread is far more enjoyable than reading novels by temporarily embarrassed space hall monitors they post on reddit and RSI.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The Titanic posted:

If I recall, it was sort of the "final boss fight" after Sandi had been positioning herself as the smartest person in the room for 5 years and people fed that belief.

She chose to go toe to toe in an email dispute with Beer4TheBeerGod and ended up losing fairly spectacularly, but I don't recall the exact details other than it was funny at the time.

This was basically what led to her leaving being a forward facing voice. CIG management retreated behind the big corporate face after this altercation, ne'er to be seen again basically.

This exchange?

https://udba.org/sc/ciglogic.txt

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love how they think it's "SO CLOSE" when a software developer (with collision experience) will look at that and get scared shitless that it's FUBAR. That's not close. That's very, very far (considering it's what, 7 years old core engine bug they couldn't solve?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Love how they think it's "SO CLOSE" when a software developer (with collision experience) will look at that and get scared shitless that it's FUBAR. That's not close. That's very, very far (considering it's what, 7 years old core engine bug they couldn't solve?)

Yeah, this is why people keep coming along going "SC is actually more of a game now huh?" and we have to point out, no, its actually further away from being a game than it was 4 years ago.

All they have is piles of tech debt. Most of those things need to be completely ripped out and rewritten if they're going to be reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Wow. How is it that there is always more to discover about this tire fire?