Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Think of it in music terms. Remastering a track means going back to the original studio master tapes and mixing them with modern equipment, but at the core it's still the same recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Fear not, I've never met a "HD" port that wasn't butchered. I always play the originals
Respect that but the enhanced edition mod of the pc versions may be another option if you're willing to a little digging, they're what a proper hd remaster should have been and imo the extra clarity really benefits the art styles.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 16, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah. Well, remakes rule (or I’ve been lucky with which ones I play). RE2, Trials of Mana, FF7R have been magnificent.

Secret of Mana/FF6 looked awful.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
RE2 remake isn't actually scary though. Great game, don't get me wrong. Just not scary.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Play posted:

RE2 remake isn't actually scary though. Great game, don't get me wrong. Just not scary.
Your early encounters with Mr.X are about as scary as a non vr horror game can get.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d say it’s more tense than anything.

gently caress what video game could be considered scary? Horror games are usually just really bloody games with weird symbolism/art, or gameplay where you can’t fight/win but have to run.

The scariest video game moment is playing a WC3 custom map where one guy is a vampire and he can easily kill you so you try to hide and hope he doesn’t find you while you harvest trees or whatever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lurker2006 posted:

Your early encounters with Mr.X are about as scary as a non vr horror game can get.

Definitely the scariest part of the game, but I still found it more tense and thrilling than scary. I even laughed and yelled at him as it was happening. Maybe it's the third person view or something because re biohazard was much scarier for me, and alien isolation.

Glad they are going back to first person for the new game, I think it enhances that feeling

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

lurker2006 posted:

Silent Hill 2 actually got me. I was a young adult when it came out and some friends had said the first one was good.

Pyramid head and entourage was too much and I noped out.

I figure he was kind of the equivalent of RE's Nemesis where you encounter him and run like hell, repeat.

Part of me was well if this is a boss scene I should try to take him out and well, no ofc not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had mr x spoiled from a hundred x gon give it to ya twitter clips before i ever loaded it up to be scary

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lurker2006 posted:

Respect that but the enhanced edition mod of the pc versions may be another option if you're willing to a little digging, they're what a proper hd remaster should have been and imo the extra clarity really benefits the art styles.

I've seen what they did and it's impressive but i'll probably just play PS1 version. PHUO but I really like the weird warping PS2 textures.

Anyways there's three kind of "Remakes"

HD Remasters were a non affiliated studio poorly uses HD assests and fucks the game up. Ratchet HD, Jak HD, Demon's souls

Remakes, where they gently caress up in all the ways that a remaster does but also change basic gameplay for zero reason.

Reconceptualization, The only one capable of being good where the studio takes the basic framework and reimagines them, using the skeleton of the original. e.g. FFVII Remake, RE2 Remake . REmake

lurker2006 posted:

Honestly I like the RE2 remake but you just run, there's never any scaring

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I agree that there are points where he's kind of lame towards the end when you're used to his shtick and he's chasing you in barren areas but early in the station when he's herding you into zombie roadblocks I feel he's quite effective.
'

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The original Ratchet games have an amazing HD port, same with Sly Cooper.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had forgotten about Sly Cooper and am very excited to try to and figure out a way to emulate that bad boy

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

jokes posted:

Oh. So a HD port would be like when they upscale textures or whatever but keep it all the same otherwise?

gently caress, what’s a remaster and what’s a remake? Is FF7R a remaster or a remake?

Remaster means usually enhancing superficial aspects such as graphics but leaving the skeleton intact, a remake involves overhauling game play to some extent in addition to the new aesthetics

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

The original Ratchet games have an amazing HD port, same with Sly Cooper.

:wrong: Cutscenes are broken, and they didn't program the weapons on the spherical worlds correctly

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

Yea I got to some level in Amnesia where the room was flooded and there was some invisible poo poo causing splashes and I just noped the gently caress out of that

A fun behind the scenes fact about that bit is that as a joke the devs used a model of a beach ball they had lying around to create the effect and just made it invisible. You're running away in terror from a beach ball bouncing around on the water.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I freaking love invisible enemies in games. Not the lame copout kind where they have some sort of predator distortion effect so you can still see them, but the ones that are really 100% invisible so you can only track them by their footprints in water or snow, or breathing sounds, or whatnot.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Triarii posted:

I freaking love invisible enemies in games. Not the lame copout kind where they have some sort of predator distortion effect so you can still see them, but the ones that are really 100% invisible so you can only track them by their footprints in water or snow, or breathing sounds, or whatnot.

Bloodsuckers in STALKER make me full on poo poo my pants

That whole game, really

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
MLB THE SHOW whose getting it?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lodin posted:

A fun behind the scenes fact about that bit is that as a joke the devs used a model of a beach ball they had lying around to create the effect and just made it invisible. You're running away in terror from a beach ball bouncing around on the water.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Odds on Silent Hill getting the RE2 treatment (lol Konami). I'd buy them day 1.

jokes posted:

gently caress what video game could be considered scary?

Subnautica. And it's not even a horror game.

Lodin posted:

Hilarious if true

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

itry posted:

Subnautica. And it's not even a horror game.

Yeah, maybe it's more of a phobia thing rather than some kind of...universal horror factor or whatever, but I would play a session of Subnautica and then call it a night after a few hours, and realize that my whole back and neck were sore because I had been intensely tensing up my shoulders for like 90% of the time I was playing the game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The outer wilds was pretty scary, scary that so many folk called it the best videogame ever when its a boring obtuse unfun pile of shite

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Outer wilds was a really cool game but I never finished it cuz the actual gameplay was incredibly not fun at all

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't mind flying about in the spaceship but going into any game after hearing so many "best videogame ever made" takes makes it an uphill battle

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Had to put down OW when I got to the other dimension and the angler fish gobbled me up. I can't deal with that and it's the same reason I never got anywhere in Subnautica.

This week I've played through Stubbs The Zombie and a bit of Shadowman and my probably popular videogame opinion is that both games were pretty poo poo back in the day and they certainly haven't aged well. I'll never get why anyone is paying Night Dive and Aspyr to update these assy old games. At least they run perfectly fine on PC, I just don't understand why anyone would want to play them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Triarii posted:

Yeah, maybe it's more of a phobia thing rather than some kind of...universal horror factor or whatever, but I would play a session of Subnautica and then call it a night after a few hours, and realize that my whole back and neck were sore because I had been intensely tensing up my shoulders for like 90% of the time I was playing the game.

If it's because it heavily features cave diving that's not a phobia, that's normal. Cave diving is no shits on the deadliest things you can do on this earth.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Triarii posted:

you can still sort of see most of them if you're paying attention even before you scan things but Killer7 owned, why is there no switch port

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

Outer wilds was a really cool game but I never finished it cuz the actual gameplay was incredibly not fun at all

I mean it's "fun" to help your crewmate with her deep seated issues and dating. You have a family history of alcoholism? press F to suggest she get drunk and gently caress that engineer.

Highlight of the game. Also crapitalism, it sucks in space as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Outer Wilds was an awesome and clever little indie game. Letting other people's opinions, positive or negative, dictate or affect yours in any way is dumb.

Triarii posted:

Agreed I have always enjoyed that and they are legitimately tense moments and even scary in certain games.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I mean it's "fun" to help your crewmate with her deep seated issues and dating. You have a family history of alcoholism? press F to suggest she get drunk and gently caress that engineer.

Highlight of the game. Also crapitalism, it sucks in space as well.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Outer Worlds, but don't feel bad that's only the ten billionth time a person has made that mistake

Chamuska posted:

MLB THE SHOW whose getting it?

Fuckers aren't putting it on PC even though they're finally moving it from being a PS exclusive. Suck my dick!!

I really really want to play it

Play fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 16, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Play posted:

Pretty sure you are thinking of Outer Worlds, but don't feel bad that's only the ten billionth time a person has made that mistake

Oh yeah. I actually bought Outer Worlds based on a misremembered goon recc for Outer Wilds.

Then I played Outer Wilds and was wishing I had a simple point and click autopilot because I became extremely lost in space.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

Odds on Silent Hill getting the RE2 treatment (lol Konami). I'd buy them day 1.

Given the lifetime sales of the franchise and cost of such a project versus the piles of other money Konami is making, I'd say its non existent unless someone rolls up with a brinks truck of cash at the Konami office to make it profitable before a single copy is sold.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Barudak posted:

Given the lifetime sales of the franchise and cost of such a project versus the piles of other money Konami is making, I'd say its non existent unless someone rolls up with a brinks truck of cash at the Konami office to make it profitable before a single copy is sold.

They make a bajillion different slot machines

https://www.gaming.konami.com/Games/GamesCatalog.aspx

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBy2jemw4s

This doesn't even begin to contradict all the US states that do this in vidya poker

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So you want a slot machine title? Because people got mad as hell about their Metal Gear pachinko machine.

Their video games are also doing very well.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

Gnosia is really good and more people should know about it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Play posted:

Outer Wilds was an awesome and clever little indie game. Letting other people's opinions, positive or negative, dictate or affect yours in any way is dumb.

The thing with Outer Wilds is the same as games like The Witness or Inside. Folk loving gush all over them because there's an element of mystery to them that makes the player feel clever. Lets face it, the actual mechanics of what you do - the actual playing the game isn't anything exciting. Especially with Inside, it's a loving shite 2 hour long side-scrolling plat-former that is lethargic to play but folk absolutely gush over it because of the presentation and the mystery and the utterly nonsense ending.

I gave Outer Wilds more than a fair shot, I played it high, I played it sober, I tried it late at night, first thing in the morning, I really wanted to give it a fair shot given all the praise I'd heard but at the end of the day its a shitey pixar cartoon with a shitey made up language expecting you to be dazzled and wow'ed by its shitey mystery.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

The success of the new wave of RE games demonstrates that there is a market and that it'll most likely be profitable (and they probably know it), but this is probably true :eng99:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The thing with Outer Wilds is the same as games like The Witness or Inside. Folk loving gush all over them because there's an element of mystery to them that makes the player feel clever. Lets face it, the actual mechanics of what you do - the actual playing the game isn't anything exciting. Especially with Inside, it's a loving shite 2 hour long side-scrolling plat-former that is lethargic to play but folk absolutely gush over it because of the presentation and the mystery and the utterly nonsense ending.

I gave Outer Wilds more than a fair shot, I played it high, I played it sober, I tried it late at night, first thing in the morning, I really wanted to give it a fair shot given all the praise I'd heard but at the end of the day its a shitey pixar cartoon with a shitey made up language expecting you to be dazzled and wow'ed by its shitey mystery.

I've been so close to pulling on the trigger for Outer Wilds a couple times and this is the thing holding me back. The way it's been praised feels just like all those times I've been burned before because people valued the atmosphere and presentation much more than I did and without that the experience was hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Phigs posted:

I've been so close to pulling on the trigger for Outer Wilds a couple times and this is the thing holding me back. The way it's been praised feels just like all those times I've been burned before because people valued the atmosphere and presentation much more than I did and without that the experience was hollow.

I mean you should absolutely try it - I was glad I at least gave it a shot but yeah I can't help but echo your exact sentiment. It's not a horrible game but my opinion of it was certainly coloured by expectation.