Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

live with fruit posted:

This isn't exactly conclusive evidence but the MCU typically cast names for their heroes and the guy playing Torres is more actress who played Cassie in Endgame than Kathryn Newton.

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm not sure I understand you; you mean they typically cast bigger names for their heroes? I don't think that's true. I think the people they cast as heroes generally tend to become major actors/actresses, but that a lot of them are unknown or less famous actors and actresses when they start. If they cast big names as anything, it as villains. Robert Downey Jr. was a Hollywood pariah when he was cast as Tony, following his stint in prison. Marvel couldn't even get insurance on him initially, so they were taking a major chance that he'd pay off. Chris Hemsworth was basically unknown going into Thor etc.

Not big names but names. RDJ had recently headlined a movie (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang) and been part of an ensemble Best Picture nominee (Good Night, and Good Luck). Iron Man also came out the same year he got an Oscar nomination for Tropic Thunder so it's not like Favreau saved his career. Hemsworth is a bit of an exemption, though he had a prominent role in Star Trek 09, but most actors cast as Avengers have notable roles on their resume, if not having straight up had their own movies.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

I'm not sure I understand you; you mean they typically cast bigger names for their heroes? I don't think that's true. I think the people they cast as heroes generally tend to become major actors/actresses, but that a lot of them are unknown or less famous actors and actresses when they start. If they cast big names as anything, it as villains. Robert Downey Jr. was a Hollywood pariah when he was cast as Tony, following his stint in prison. Marvel couldn't even get insurance on him initially, so they were taking a major chance that he'd pay off. Chris Hemsworth was basically unknown going into Thor etc.
Right but this is much less the case than it was in Phase 1 though - the majority of new characters from like the first Guardians to present have been at minimum an established name and at maximum a big name, Tom Holland being the most notable exception I think

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

rivetz posted:

Right but this is much less the case than it was in Phase 1 though - the majority of new characters from like the first Guardians to present have been at minimum an established name and at maximum a big name, Tom Holland being the most notable exception I think

And even Holland got some acclaim for The Impossible and was coming off a big budget Ron Howard movie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Not big names but names. RDJ had recently headlined a movie (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang) and been part of an ensemble Best Picture nominee (Good Night, and Good Luck). Iron Man also came out the same year he got an Oscar nomination for Tropic Thunder so it's not like Favreau saved his career. Hemsworth is a bit of an exemption, though he had a prominent role in Star Trek 09, but most actors cast as Avengers have notable roles on their resume, if not having straight up had their own movies.

Downey might have had a career without Iron Man but I doubt it'd ever be big again, and he wasn't really given much trust in Hollywood even if he was being hired. Hence why Marvel couldn't even get him insured for the set of Iron Man. If Downey had relapsed into drugs at some point or just failed to show for some reason one day, they'd have been out his salary entirely at the very least.

rivetz posted:

The people they use are perhaps established, but I don't think most of them would be considered major names. Chadwick Boseman had acclaim from some of his films for instance, but he wasn't a big name or anything. Brie Larson had credits in some big films (Kong: Skull Island, Scott Pilgrim vs the World etc) going back years when she was cast as Captain Marvel, but I wouldn't say she was a household name or the lead in anything until then. Marvel cast smaller, younger names as heroes because it means they pay less each time, which adds up when using someone several times, as well as them being around to work for longer. Villains can be older or bigger names, because they'll probably only be around once or twice, and they won't need to be paid as often.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"Major/big names" is very vague and probably subjective. The bigger point is that the actors they cast typically have experience either headlining projects or being involved in big projects in a not insignificant way. With the exception of Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel, everyone recently cast in a major role falls in one of those two categories. Even with FAWS, Walker had his own TV show and Karli was in Solo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

live with fruit posted:

That's what I get for not double checking.

Regarding the big cameo, it's funny because they hyped it up as this big actor with numerous awards and all that's true but also people were talking about Meryl Streep so there's probably going to be some mad nerds out there. Not me, though. I loved it.

Yeah I was quite happy that they showed up, and it's cool that they're going to be sprinkled into the MCU here and there. A very talented actor obviously, and I've always been happy to see them in basically anything, though I still have quite a bit of T.V. that they've been in to watch still. It just seems like a really fun fit and an interesting character from the little bit we've see, and while I'm sure they're either directly a Marvel character or heavily based on one I don't know who it would be off the top of my head, and as a fairly big marvel nerd that'll be exciting to find out down the line.

Gonna be fun to see Sam kicking rear end with the shield, probably a fresh Wakandan-made Captain America suit w/fancy wings, and all sorts of Wakandan tech in the finale.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

"Major/big names" is very vague and probably subjective. The bigger point is that the actors they cast typically have experience either headlining projects or being involved in big projects in a not insignificant way. With the exception of Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel, everyone recently cast in a major role falls in one of those two categories. Even with FAWS, Walker had his own TV show and Karli was in Solo.

Well, Danny Ramirez is a minor character in the new Top Gun, so he has some experience on a big set even aside from this production. The film might not be out yet, but it's been finished filming since 2019 according to Wikipedia.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah I was quite happy that they showed up, and it's cool that they're going to be sprinkled into the MCU here and there. A very talented actor obviously, and I've always been happy to see them in basically anything, though I still have quite a bit of T.V. that they've been in to watch still. It just seems like a really fun fit and an interesting character from the little bit we've see, and while I'm sure they're either directly a Marvel character or heavily based on one I don't know who it would be off the top of my head, and as a fairly big marvel nerd that'll be exciting to find out down the line.

Gonna be fun to see Sam kicking rear end with the shield, probably a fresh Wakandan-made Captain America suit w/fancy wings, and all sorts of Wakandan tech in the finale.

The character they played is a minor character in the comics with the same name. I hadn't heard of her either, but she'll presumably legitimize Walker as US Agent in a more international thing, where he fights for what he thinks of as America for an international unit. It's possible Marvel will carry over the GPR or whatever they're called into other productions moving forward.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The montage of Sam going through training learning to throw the shield was kinda undercut by a scene five minutes earlier where he's just casually alternating throwing and catching it with Bucky, and I think it's kind of emblematic of my major issue with this show being that it feels like a whole bunch of stuff got written/shot at different times that made other parts redundant, but then everything just kind of got jammed together. Especially in regards to Sam and Bucky's relationship, a lot of their interactions in this felt like they would have been better placed earlier in the season rather than episode 2 just opening with the two of them having just teamed up unseen.

That said there are still a lot of individual parts that I just adore, and Mackie and Stan are really working both in their individual performances and have chemistry as a duo. In regards to the cameo I love how much scenery she was chewing, she looked like she was having a great time, plus the blocking in that scene with Walker's wife being obscured from both Walker and the viewer was really nicely done.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The montage of Sam going through training learning to throw the shield was kinda undercut by a scene five minutes earlier where he's just casually alternating throwing and catching it with Bucky, and I think it's kind of emblematic of my major issue with this show being that it feels like a whole bunch of stuff got written/shot at different times and then just kind of jammed together. Especially in regards to Sam and Bucky's relationship, a lot of their interactions in this felt like they would have been better placed earlier in the season rather than episode 2 just opening with the two of them having just teamed up unseen.

It seemed like they were just tossing it around, like the difference between playing catch and being a major league pitcher.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

welp a friend just texted me that he was very excited to watch Captain Wakanda next episode

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Spoilers for what Sam’s new suit looks like:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
And y’all thought they weren’t gonna wrap up the boat!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Somehow I think John Walker's shield built from a box of scraps isn't going to be as impressive as the last time someone did that in the MCU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

Well, Danny Ramirez is a minor character in the new Top Gun, so he has some experience on a big set even aside from this production. The film might not be out yet, but it's been finished filming since 2019 according to Wikipedia.

I guess that qualifies as much as Karli, assuming it's a real role. But where would Torres fit within the MCU? Seems kind of old to be a Young Avenger. Or is it just a wink, like how Donald Glover calling his nephew in Homecoming?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think we are shaping up for a war between Cap Sam and Walker at the end, which seems fitting considering the themes of the show. Maybe Sam talks Walker down?

Karli seems to have lost herself in her anger, but maybe Sam still has the ability to get her to end things before they go too far with her current plan.

It's also seems like Bucky is probably in New York to tie up loose ends. It seems like Sharon is almost definitely the Power Broker, (or at least working with them as a mole) now

Overall fantastic episode, the evolution of Sam and Bucky figuring out who they truly are was a great conversation.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 16, 2021

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

What's weird is that, just before I started the episode I thought about that and briefly wondered who it'd be and looked forward to finding out. Then during the episode itself, I completely forgot about it and didn't even remember again until you mentioned it. That aside, I wonder does the fact that Sam left the broken wings behind and told Torres he could have them mean that Torres is going to become the White Falcon, to Sam's Captain America? I initially assumed the box contained new vibranium wings, but if Torres does become a new Falcon and Sam is just a new Cap, then maybe it's a new suit that's made of vibranium weave similar to the Black Panther outfit so that Sam's lack of super soldier serum is offset along with his athleticism. Which, drat, he look fit as gently caress during that training montage.

Torres, as the name suggests, is Hispanic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Close your /spoilers. :)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Also, it’s funny that they do the “Louisiana hero“ musical sting three times in the episode, as well as giving it a several minute montage... and it’s over the credits.

The zemo theme is also super prominent.

This episode was mostly anchored by heartfelt conversations, and I felt the one that happened at the halfway point was probably the best, speaking engagingly but concretely about the themes of the show. what black man would want to be Captain America?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I had to lurk Twitter for show discussions while the forums were down for maintenance because I just can't enjoy anything in a vacuum.

Spanish speaking Twitter is absolutely gonzo over the idea of Torres becoming Falcon. Representation really does matter. I like seeing people feel good about seeing someone like themselves on the screen.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Golden Bee posted:

Close your /spoilers. :)

The website went into maintenance before I could... :(

Fixed it now

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I’m kind of confused on is I’m pretty sure I read at some point that Stan Lee intended racism to not exist in the Marvel universe. If that’s true I feel like Disney is kind of making GBS threads on his legacy by putting it in there. Powerful conversation though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Anita Dickinme posted:

What I’m kind of confused on is I’m pretty sure I read at some point that Stan Lee intended racism to not exist in the Marvel universe. If that’s true I feel like Disney is kind of making GBS threads on his legacy by putting it in there. Powerful conversation though.

This sort of negates the existence of the X-Men completely...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Golden Bee posted:

Also, it’s funny that they do the “Louisiana hero“ musical sting three times in the episode, as well as giving it a several minute montage... and it’s over the credits.

The zemo theme is also super prominent.

This episode was mostly anchored by heartfelt conversations, and I felt the one that happened at the halfway point was probably the best, speaking engagingly but concretely about the themes of the show. what black man would want to be Captain America?

When Bucky is heading out after the heart to heart with Sam I'm about 90% sure that was a slowed down version of The Heavy's Short Change Hero, and it was really great

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Spanish speaking Twitter is absolutely gonzo over the idea of Torres becoming Falcon. Representation really does matter. I like seeing people feel good about seeing someone like themselves on the screen.

From the beginning I felt that he was going to a new prominent character. Especially because that one super serum guy didn’t kill him in the beginning. I’m excited. :)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Golden Bee posted:

How they handle this point will be if the show sticks some kind of acceptable landing for me.

The show has done a pretty good job to overtly explain how much America sucks in how it treats its own citizens and how its foreign policy is carried out, terrorizing people in other nations under super troop cop John Walker. Although I would say they are giving themselves an out by painting the GRC as more of a villain than America proper.

Sam shouldn't want to be the avatar of all that baggage as Captain America. But will it be much different if he just calls himself Falcon but still carries around the American flag on his shield all the time?

Additionally, even in my wildest dreams, it's not like he's going to denounce the military or anything like that, so he'll just be some sort of disappointing figurehead to an arm of the modern day military as whatever hero name he has. It's a pretty delicate needle to thread that I don't know how they get out of it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

This sort of negates the existence of the X-Men completely...

You’re right. I didn’t read the comics and I know the main reason they’re not on screen together now is because different companies owning the rights but aren’t X-Men and the Avengers essentially two different entities of Marvel comics?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stan Lee was a treasure. :3:

Very well, carry on.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

I had to lurk Twitter for show discussions while the forums were down for maintenance because I just can't enjoy anything in a vacuum.

That's why it's a little crazy if he does become Falcon, Jr. He'd be the first Latino or Latina superhero in the MCU. It's personally bugged me that we've only ever had Luis and a second generation hero played by an unknown actor is a little underwhelming. But that could just be me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Harlock posted:

How they handle this point will be if the show sticks some kind of acceptable landing for me.

The show has done a pretty good job to overtly explain how much America sucks in how it treats its own citizens and how its foreign policy is carried out, terrorizing people in other nations under super troop cop John Walker. Although I would say they are giving themselves an out by painting the GRC as more of a villain than America proper.

Sam shouldn't want to be the avatar of all that baggage as Captain America. But will it be much different if he just calls himself Falcon but still carries around the American flag on his shield all the time?

Additionally, even in my wildest dreams, it's not like he's going to denounce the military or anything like that, so he'll just be some sort of disappointing figurehead to an arm of the modern day military as whatever hero name he has. It's a pretty delicate needle to thread that I don't know how they get out of it.

I think their out is going to be when Elaine said, the Government doesn't even own the shield, my guess is at the end of this Sam is going to be on his own. Not working for the GRC or government at all

As now his tech is Wakandan, and not even US military property they let him use.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 16, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

live with fruit posted:

That's why it's a little crazy if he does become Falcon, Jr. He'd be the first Latino or Latina superhero in the MCU. It's personally bugged me that we've only ever had Luis and a second generation hero played by an unknown actor is a little underwhelming. But that could just be me.

I'm assuming America Chavez is coming in Hawkeye, since her and Kate Bishop are a pretty well known team.

A Captain America that no longer answers to the US Government (like Steve often was), is a perfect arc for Sam's turn as Cap to take honestly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I really like Wyatt Russell as rear end in a top hat Cap. Great performance

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Old Steve is going to have to come down from the moon to yell at senators about how the shield was a gift from the Stark family and they interrupted his moon retirement watching his grandkids in his utopia alt reality with Uatu and the Inhumans

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anita Dickinme posted:

You’re right. I didn’t read the comics and I know the main reason they’re not on screen together now is because different companies owning the rights but aren’t X-Men and the Avengers essentially two different entities of Marvel comics?

Certainly treated differently, but Beast, for instance, is also an Avenger. A hunted criminal as an xman and an upstanding citizen as an Avenger

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Dexo posted:

I think their out is going to be when Elaine said, the Government doesn't even own the shield, my guess is at the end of this Sam is going to be on his own. Not working for the GRC or government at all

Walker's looking like the main villain and even he got a sympathetic moment telling off the military and the mustache-twirlingly evil senator.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thank god the forums are back!

It was cute seeing Bucky being flirty with Sarah, loved that he is getting some of his pre-brainwash confidence back.

Im pretty sure Zemo is still suicidal. The man was ready to die, no regrets. He is def gonna breakout from the raft.

Cant wait for black Captain America and how many assholes arw gonna get mad at it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
How are they going to have the big finale fight in New York City and not include the most important Friendly Neighborhood Hero

Man, that would be crazy tho...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm assuming America Chavez is coming in Hawkeye, since her and Kate Bishop are a pretty well known team.

She is coming to the MCU but in Doctor Strange 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah the X-Men exist in the same universe as the Avengers. They were developed as a way to tell stories about prejudice and discrimination, with Xavier and Magneto functioning as the MLK/Malcolm X ends of the spectrum. The idea that Stan Lee didn’t want to talk about these ideas or keep them out of Marvel doesn’t line up with his career or his actions at all.