Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

What are you putting them on? The 255's are only a tiny bit bigger and Ford actually used them both as OEM tires on Mustangs depending on the year.

Man trying to find drag radials right now is a bitch. Discount Tire has been pretty useless especially since you can't go inside. I've been waiting almost a week on Belle Tire who supposedly ordered them but can't tell me when they'll be here.

How does not being able to go inside matter in the least for buying a set of tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

How does not being able to go inside matter in the least for buying a set of tires?

That new tire smell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Elmnt80 posted:

Getting someone to answer the loving phone. Talking to someone in person. Being able to point at the computer screen and say 'order those'. Making sure they order you the right ones. Ask me how I almost ended up with a set of NT450's.

I tried ordering them online but they aren't an OEM size so you have to call the store :confused:

Anyway, Belle Tire was able to order them and get them installed. The next day I get an email from Discount Tire, "Your tires are in!"

When I called them, the guy said he didn't have them in the warehouse. He said he'd call around to see if he could find a set, and call me back. Never did.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My mom has a CR-V AWD with a flat. The place we go to for patches says she needs a new one (I'm not there, so I don't know what the damage is). The tires have 18,000 miles on them (she doesn't drive a lot).

Would it be okay to get the one replaced, or should she do a pair? Or all four?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Get the one replaced with the same thing and get it shaved would be my recommendation. Most tire places will do that for 25 bucks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Get the one replaced with the same thing and get it shaved would be my recommendation. Most tire places will do that for 25 bucks.

Would Discount Tire?

I've never looked into it, I thought I heard only Tire Rack did it, for some reason.

EDIT: Per their website.

quote:

Tire shaving

Tire shaving is not a service that we offer or endorse, and it may void the warranty and coverage of Certificates purchased with your set of tires.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 16, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah the guy at Discount Tire I asked last time seemed anti shaving for whatever reason. 🤷‍♂️

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in that case you can order a tire from tire rack that's shaved for installation at one of their independent shops

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in that case you can order a tire from tire rack that's shaved for installation at one of their independent shops

Sorry to be a pain, but where do you do this? I'm not seeing the option on their website.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

for installation at a local they should have ship to store options once you buy the tire

for shaving i think you may have to call them but they have very decent customer support

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, okay.

I'm not over there and they are currently trying to measure the thread depth with a fabric tape measure made for sewing with 1/8" markings. I'm just going to order a pair, which the manual says is acceptable. It's going to ship to their house and they'll take it to the cash only place down the road we use for patches and the like.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the annoyance. (I've been on the phone off and on for like 3 hours dealing with someone else's flat tire from 150 miles away, just do it yourself!)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how do you not figure out to use a stick and mark it and then measure the distance from the end of the stick to the mark :wtc:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been dealing with "it's 2" and three little lines" for longer than I remember. "How much is a line, are they 1/8ths or 1/16ths or 1/32ds?!?!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uthor posted:

I've been dealing with "it's 2" and three little lines" for longer than I remember. "How much is a line, are they 1/8ths or 1/16ths or 1/32ds?!?!"

you did the right thing

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I use an obd2 Bluetooth dongle to re-pair the TPMS sensors? Tire shop didn't do it or it didn't work, now there's a ton of traffic and don't feel like driving for another hour.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Any goon looking for ride comfort, I can recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus II.
They really round off harsh impacts and smaller imperfections are a non event.

My winter set are on the same 19" wheels, Continental Viking Contact7; when driving over a brick road I could feel and hear each individual brick.
These Pirellis just smooth out all that out. Very pleased.
Steering and grip fwiw, is "good enough".

The car came on 20" wagon wheels with Pzeros lol not going back to those.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

smooth jazz posted:

What didn't you like about the P Zeros?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the Pzero As+ on my car, and my wife's has the P7 as+. The Pzero definitely have a bit more impact noise, and a little more road noise in general. If you're looking for comfort and still having good feedback, it's hard to complain about the P7 as+ or +2. I'm sure adding some sidewall going from a 20" to a 19" helped.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Charles posted:

Can I use an obd2 Bluetooth dongle to re-pair the TPMS sensors? Tire shop didn't do it or it didn't work, now there's a ton of traffic and don't feel like driving for another hour.

what car is it? for most cars there's a dashboard based pairing process. on my Focus it was to mash and hold the magic cheat code buttons in some sequence and then they would register.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what car is it? for most cars there's a dashboard based pairing process. on my Focus it was to mash and hold the magic cheat code buttons in some sequence and then they would register.

2020 Subaru Impreza. I can't find any method. I really hate that

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Holy poo poo do the US system tape measures actually not follow any standard with their markings and increments? Like, what the three little lines mean can vary from one tape to the next, and you cannot know what they are unless you know the specific tape? Incredible :psyduck:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bad_fmr posted:

Holy poo poo do the US system tape measures actually not follow any standard with their markings and increments? Like, what the three little lines mean can vary from one tape to the next, and you cannot know what they are unless you know the specific tape? Incredible :psyduck:

these are both the same ruler

i have a tape measure that has tenths of a foot, too

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

Any goon looking for ride comfort, I can recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus II.
They really round off harsh impacts and smaller imperfections are a non event.

My winter set are on the same 19" wheels, Continental Viking Contact7; when driving over a brick road I could feel and hear each individual brick.
These Pirellis just smooth out all that out. Very pleased.
Steering and grip fwiw, is "good enough".

The Viking contact 7 are great winter tyres though, but if they are loud and uncomfortable it really shows how bad the Nexens that came on my KIA are. Just swapped to them yesterday and everything is louder.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Raluek posted:

these are both the same ruler

i have a tape measure that has tenths of a foot, too

Oh wow. I had no idea. This madness must be really fun while doing any kind of construction or engineering.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bad_fmr posted:

They're just different resolutions. It's like a tape measure that does cm versus one that does mm.

Most construction tape measures that I've seen are 1/16", but I have one that does 1/32" for the first foot.

A fabric tape measure, I have no idea. I think they're 1/8", but I'd have to look at it.

A tape measure isn't exactly a fine measurement tool, anything for engineering would be done with calipers.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 19, 2021

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

They're just different resolutions. It's like a tape measure that does cm versus one that does mm.

Most construction tape measures that I've seen are 1/16", but I have one that does 1/32" for the first foot.

A fabric tape measure, I have no idea. I think they're 1/8", but I'd have to look at it.

A tape measure isn't exactly a fine measurement tool, anything for engineering would be done with calipers.

Yeah I get that. But why would you need different resolutions on a ruler like that? Why not just use the finest one since all the others are simple divisions of it?

The point about building and engineering is that you would have to convert and double check between decimal-style 1/100 and 1/64 measurements. Or what ever tenths of a foot or olympic swimming pools or whatever.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Boeing uses inch decimal for everything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah I get that. But why would you need different resolutions on a ruler like that? Why not just use the finest one since all the others are simple divisions of it?

The point about building and engineering is that you would have to convert and double check between decimal-style 1/100 and 1/64 measurements. Or what ever tenths of a foot or olympic swimming pools or whatever.

shockingly what some random old lady has for sewing sweaters is not suitable for building and engineering, who ever could have guessed?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

shockingly what some random old lady has for sewing sweaters is not suitable for building and engineering, who ever could have guessed?

Well, I couldnt since metric system and metric tape measures equally suitable for both?? That is the point of this derail.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Viking contact 7 are great winter tyres though, but if they are loud and uncomfortable it really shows how bad the Nexens that came on my KIA are. Just swapped to them yesterday and everything is louder.

Yes that was surprising, believe me.
When I went from the Pzeros on 20" to Viking Contact7 on 19", I didn't feel any difference in minor road imperfections- just as jarring.
Bigger bumps like train tracks were handled better, but I think that's more attributed to the -1" sizing.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

What didn't you like about the P Zeros?

I'm not looking for handling performance, just a comfy ride so the PZeros on dubs didn't work for me. Sticky no doubt, but loud and firm.

Basically I should have bought a Toyota Avalon or something.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

Yes that was surprising, believe me.
When I went from the Pzeros on 20" to Viking Contact7 on 19", I didn't feel any difference in minor road imperfections- just as jarring.
Bigger bumps like train tracks were handled better, but I think that's more attributed to the -1" sizing.

Just checked mine and they are 17" which might be why mine aren't uncomfortable to the point that I've even thought about until you posted your experiences.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Does anyone here know anything about GeoTour tires? I’ve got a set on my ‘17 Golf, and I definitely don’t need new ones yet, but I figure if I can do significantly better I might cut to the chase sooner than later.

If it helps, I log under 10,000 or so miles a year, but do a mix of rural and city driving in the midwest. I do have winter tires too.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 23, 2021

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Alright, stupid question time. I was checking my tyre pressure on a cold sunny morning, and the side in the sun was 2 psi higher than the other.

Because I’m an idiot I set them all to the same pressure - then when I parked the other way round the next day the hot side was now 4 psi higher.

But would you consider the sun side or shade side to be the “correct” pressure. I’m going to say shade?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Tires pressure specs assume cold tires.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

With my gut that sweater is structural

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Elephanthead posted:

With my gut that sweater is structural

load bearing yarn

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I just moved into a house with a basement, so I now realistically have the space to store an extra set of tires. I live in Baltimore, so it can get snowy in the winter (sometimes). They tell my my tires have cupping and I'm about due for a replacement. It's all coming together for me to decide whether I'll stick with all season or go to summer/winter (or summer/all season) and switch back and forth. I know there are a ton of factors to consider and a lot of them are unique to me (driving style, willingness to get the tires switched out twice a year, etc.) but does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other? I drive a Mazda 3, don't drive aggressively, don't do any of my own car maintenance, and there is a closeout on some decent summer tires in a size that fits for $110 each on tire rack. A steal, but maybe paying $25 less per tire than I would on all seasons this one time isn't a big enough reason to commit to this seismic change in my tire lifestyle.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

You could get an all weather tire like Michelin Crossclimate 2 or Toyo Celcius, save money and not need to change and store tires.

I think every major manufacturer is making all weather tires now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think I'd bother, living in Baltimore, unless I really wanted to run dedicated summer tires.