Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
One of the only good parts in the failson books is when he pulls a gamemaster Anthony and brings every character from the six good books back as gholas carrying everything for a HUGE party.

And then the baron ghola sees the 4 years old alia ghola and just loving ganks her on the spot.

No amount of further explanation could truly convey how stupid that scene and the rest of the failson's books are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jewmanji posted:

But I think the books do give us enough detail to evaluate whether there are any changes, because Herbert is foregrounding the same activities in Heretics that he does in Dune, implying that, for instance, the BG are still seeking a Kwisatz Haderach after approx. 5000 years since Dune 1. There's no discernable difference between the BG of Heretics and the BG of Dune, except that there's now a Mother Superior, though I'm unsure if that is something that changed or was something that Herbert was silent on in the first books. Same with the Bene Tleilax. In the case of the BG and the BT it does make sense given that there's a continuous consciousness that's keeping them on task over the course of centuries, but the rest of the world is unchanged too. And it just strikes me as odd that the monoculture of the BT, which is known in the era of Messiah primarily as the manufacturers of gholas, are still somehow making that same technology in Heretics. Granted, they're making synthetic spice as well at this point, but that's not terribly impressive after 5000 years. It'd be like if 1500 years from now there was a company named Apple that was still mostly known for making cellular phones.

Now obviously Leto IIs project was all about forced stagnation, but 1500 years have passed since then. Even if Herbert's supposition is that the dictates of the Butlerian Jihad would dramatically constrict technological progress, it strains credulity to imagine that all of the same players are still on the game board, serving the same roles. In your own example, you would admit that the King of England from 1200 has little or nothing to do with QE2, but that even more importantly, the context around that role has changed so dramatically that a King of England circa 1200 and QE2 are similarly in only the most superficial ways. Even the political and religious reforms in the time of Henry VIII represent more change, in the span of a single monarch, than we tend to see in these latter Dune books. In 1500 years there isn't a single entity within the Old Imperium that can lay claim to as much power and influence as those legacy bodies of the BG, BT, Ix, Spacing Guild?

I'm not saying it's unrealistic, obviously this is just a fantasy, but where the early books seemed so believable, I found myself feeling a bit irritated that Heretics bore so much resemblance to its predecessors. Why even set it 1500 years after Leto II's reign if so little has changed in that time? It isn't even a plot contrivance to allow Arrakis to undergo desertification, because Messiah/CoD/GeoD suggest that these processes can happen extremely rapidly, in a few generations, rather than a millennia and a half.

Did you and I read the same book? First off, did you ignore the multiple characters saying "poo poo better not do this we might make another QH" like for example Schwangyu in like the very first chapter?

Secondly the two institutions you cited have been changed irrevocably by the Tyrant. The BT worship Leto 2! And the sisterhood is harder to see because they are now POV characters, but if you don't see a difference between the motivations and action of RM Mohiam and the Sisterhood of Heretics, I really don't know what to say

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Bubblyblubber posted:

One of the only good parts in the failson books is when he pulls a gamemaster Anthony and brings every character from the six good books back as gholas carrying everything for a HUGE party.

And then the baron ghola sees the 4 years old alia ghola and just loving ganks her on the spot.

No amount of further explanation could truly convey how stupid that scene and the rest of the failson's books are.

I just can't get over the "my Hanzo steel is too much for you, Duncan" exchange in House Atreides.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

I just can't get over the "my Hanzo steel is too much for you, Duncan" exchange in House Atreides.

Genuinely can't tell if this is a joke

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I’ve had COVID and read one of the failson books, I recommend you get COVID as a far more pleasant and less neurologically damaging option

I started listening to the audiobook and despite it meaning having to stop exercising and restart what I was doing I only lasted about 5 minutes

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

exmachina posted:

Did you and I read the same book? First off, did you ignore the multiple characters saying "poo poo better not do this we might make another QH" like for example Schwangyu in like the very first chapter?

Secondly the two institutions you cited have been changed irrevocably by the Tyrant. The BT worship Leto 2! And the sisterhood is harder to see because they are now POV characters, but if you don't see a difference between the motivations and action of RM Mohiam and the Sisterhood of Heretics, I really don't know what to say

The latter day sisterhood has been made so much more aware of their own actions after having been so tremendously outplayed at their own game by Leto II.

They really do seem much more gentle in a lot of ways and, if not more human and humane, at least aware of the importance of fostering and maintaining those qualities in the societies they affect than they were before.

I'm not sure how much of it was intended to be ironic but the main difference between the BG and the Honored Matres didn't boil down to their methods (they both use excessive amounts of pussy magic and kung fu) but their mindsets.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

frogge posted:

Read to god-emperor of Dune, but if you can't stop there do yourself a favor and go no further than Chapterhouse of Dune at the absolute furthest. It does not get better.

How can you go further than the last Dune book ever written? :colbert:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Murbella mindset, a new book by @duneauthor with foreword from Mike Cernovich

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Galewolf posted:

Check out this absolute unit, this mad weapon of a dude, reading the house books

That's time out of your life you just don't get back, ever again my man

Me reading the poo poo sequels is equally dumb though, I'll grant you that

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

exmachina posted:

To your first point, my reading of this was that Schwangyu was an outlier among the BG in her opposition to the ghola project. That said, everyone is so siloed with the BG that everyone is operating off of limited info, and so it's probably a bit hard to be ideological about anything other than doing what you're told out of blind faith.

And yes, I do acknowledge that the BG and BT have been changed by Leto 2's reign. As I mentioned, the BG and BT are the institutions that are least capable of evolving because of the influence of gholas or other memories on their ranks. They're like Leto II in that they're basically a single evolving organism. My point was mostly that Herbert seems to distill some of these giant civilizations down into fairly simplistic machines that are driven by a certain goal, or technology, and it seems weird that it doesn't evolve more. Again, I grant that the BG and BT wouldn't change much in the post-Leto II era, but the mere existence of all the prior principles, and a lack of new players on the scene just chafes against my own ideas for what would've made Heretics more interesting. I'm open to being persuaded though. I've only read Heretics once, and while I don't think I'll ever revisit it, I'm certainly interested to hear opposing takes.

edit: On an unrelated note, I often hear people say that CHOAM is an analog to OPEC- did Herbert ever say as much, or is that just a common inference? I'm curious if Herbert has ever gone on record talking about the Dutch East India Company or the British Easy India Company, as those seem almost more similar to CHOAM in terms of its governing structure than OPEC.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 16, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i heard jared leto is gonna play leto 2 in the sequel

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

*taps the [No @Duneauthor Zone] sign*

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

The emperor returns from ruminating in the catacombs to find that there's been a galactic plague

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

“We live in a society”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jewmanji posted:

“We live on a desert planet”

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Murray Mantoinette posted:

The latter day sisterhood has been made so much more aware of their own actions after having been so tremendously outplayed at their own game by Leto II.

They really do seem much more gentle in a lot of ways and, if not more human and humane, at least aware of the importance of fostering and maintaining those qualities in the societies they affect than they were before.

I'm not sure how much of it was intended to be ironic but the main difference between the BG and the Honored Matres didn't boil down to their methods (they both use excessive amounts of pussy magic and kung fu) but their mindsets.

Leto was pissed that the sisterhood forced him to take the golden path by neglecting to take the mantle themselves and pursuing temporal power instead.

By way of his messages to Chenoah and to Odrade (at the spice hoard) he pushed them into playing the role of shepherd to humanity and avoiding Krazilec

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jared leto literally has a fish speaking desert cult so that tracks

im da god emperor baby

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I thought he kinda hammed it up a little too much in Blade Runner 2049, but Leto 2 would be appropriately over the top for a similar performance.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They should film it with Deadpool-style asides to the 4th wall

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

exmachina posted:

They should film it with Deadpool-style asides to the 4th wall

only if its like in the amiga 500 game by cryo interactive

... could he be the one ...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dune, but made like a Mel Brooks comedy . Leto II just looking straight at the camera like " Can you believe this poo poo?"

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Everyone says he's Kiwisatz Haderach but it's just Paul doing Saved by the Bell-style time outs

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm surrounded by idahos

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dune, but made like a Mel Brooks comedy . Leto II just looking straight at the camera like " Can you believe this poo poo?"

Blazing Sardaukar

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Goblin Craft posted:

Blazing Maker Hooks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Duncans to the left of me Tegs to the right, here I'm stuck in the middle w-

*head blasts off as insect snapping lady legs rocket thru my neck*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rabban Hood: Fremen in Tights

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Spiceballs

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
:sax: The Qizarate, what a show! :pgabz:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Springtime for Muad'dib

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*mugs the camera*

It's good to be the Worm.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The Reproducers

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

'Scuse me while I whip this out

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Genuinely can't tell if this is a joke

Look into the well of your ancestors' gene memories and you will see the truth looking back at you.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm surrounded by idahos

*laughs in chakobsa*

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

Check out this absolute unit, this mad weapon of a dude, reading the house books

That's time out of your life you just don't get back, ever again my man

Me reading the poo poo sequels is equally dumb though, I'll grant you that

I think a friend of mine gave it to me when they got released or something. I was still a voracious reader and be like "A Dune book from Herbert's son and some other rando? Eh, how bad it can be?" :negative:

I think I read both the Houses Trilogy and the Butlerian books which sounds psychotic now it's written down.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Twitch posted:

I just got to the part of Heretics where Duncan becomes a super saiyan, but at loving and I don't know if this book is terrible or if it rules.

It rules.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Twitch posted:

I thought he kinda hammed it up a little too much in Blade Runner 2049, but Leto 2 would be appropriately over the top for a similar performance.

I thought he was perfect in 2049, he's accidentally the exact embodiment of a Jack Dorsey hypercapitalist tech despot and it's spot-on. If anything Villanueve was kinda trolling him by casting him thusly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Galewolf posted:

I think a friend of mine gave it to me when they got released or something. I was still a voracious reader and be like "A Dune book from Herbert's son and some other rando? Eh, how bad it can be?" :negative:

I think I read both the Houses Trilogy and the Butlerian books which sounds psychotic now it's written down.

I read the House trilogy but even 9th grade me couldn’t take anything past the first Jihad book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I read the House trilogy but even 9th grade me couldn’t take anything past the first Jihad book.

I remember trying to read the Jihad book at that same age and thinking "this is weird, this book has lasers and death robots and starships yet it sucks somehow?"
Very disconcerting.