Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

My Pfizer doses were scheduled at the rear end end of Puyallup and I'm coming from Seattle so yeehaw that's a trip and a half during rush hour

Aww man you must've been on it. I'm in Puyallup and Yelm is the closest I could get.

Username-Post combo incoming:
Yesterday was the first day I became eligible. I poked around vaccinefinder.org and checked a few dozen local places, then gave up.

I cracked open a beer and jumped into a zoom call with some friends.

This morning, I woke up with a slight hangover. I check my email and there's an email from Safeway, wtf?

It looks like drunk me searched up and down and finally scored a 1rst vax appt in a town 30 miles away. I also apparently posted it here.

Drunk me is really, really on it.
'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so, my niece is in daycare. my son isn't, my household is a fairly impervious bubble. how much associating am i really safe to do with my in-laws this summer? AFAIK, my niece is still getting breast milk from her vax'd mom.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Got my second shot and feel nothing. This is bullshit!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got my first dose of Moderna yesterday (And I just got my appointment for my next dose. Thanks Riteaid!). Other than maybe some minor chills after getting the shot and a bit of soreness where the shot is, no noticeably big side effects so far. This vaccine ain't poo poo :v:

Seriously though I do kind of wish it were more pronounced so I could be sure it is working :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Got my second shot and feel nothing. This is bullshit!

How long has it been? It took a bit for my side effects to kick in.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How long has it been? It took a bit for my side effects to kick in.

7 hours

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Unlucky7 posted:

Got my first dose of Moderna yesterday (And I just got my appointment for my next dose. Thanks Riteaid!). Other than maybe some minor chills after getting the shot and a bit of soreness where the shot is, no noticeably big side effects so far. This vaccine ain't poo poo :v:

Seriously though I do kind of wish it were more pronounced so I could be sure it is working :ohdear:

most ppl get the really heavy side-effects with the second one. some chills and soreness sounds about right for a first shot!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't worry, we're planning on starting up infection outbreaks again here in Australia at some point, perhaps later this year. Our PM has said that we're going to have to open up international travel at some point for vaccinated people but we'll probably durop the mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine and just let people quarantine at home. He also said that this will definitely lead to at least 1000 community infections every week but he doesn't want people to get upset about that or the state governments to close borders, we're just going to have to learn to live with it

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-15/covid-vaccinated-australians-could-be-allowed-overseas-travel/100073168

Because self-isolatiion worked so well at the beginning of the pandemic (it didn't, which is how we ended up with the current system).

The healthcare system cannot cope with 1000 infections per week. While we have surge capacity and staff can be diverted from the winter strategy, the length of time severe cases need to spend in hospital would create bottlenecks with those numbers.

It's all academic while the majority of our population can't get vaccinated, though.

For those outside Australia, we have just held what is believed to be the world's biggest ticketed event since the pandemic stated. 700,000 people attended the Royal Easter Show over 12 days and it certainly had the potential to be a super spreader event but there have been no reports of cases so far. If there still haven't been any cases reported in a couple of weeks, it's likely that other large capacity events will start going ahead more frequently.

The PM's statement was pretty tone deaf and may just be the straw which breaks the camel's back. He's squandered all the goodwill the government banked early in the pandemic and is currently under seige. Telling Australians that they'll "just have to get used to" anything is dangerous.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 16, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
My father had his first shot of Pfizer last week, and seemingly no side effects. Is that normal? Or is the second one the heavy one.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

busalover posted:

My father had his first shot of Pfizer last week, and seemingly no side effects. Is that normal? Or is the second one the heavy one.

From what I've seen the answer is *shrug*. Seems like response differs completely on a person-by-person basis.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

From what I've seen the answer is *shrug*. Seems like response differs completely on a person-by-person basis.

Just like covid itself!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

On one hand, after almost 36 hours for Pfizer #2 my pregnant wife is a little tired at times but that's all, so I'm extremely thankful.

On the other hand she's calling me a bitch for being in bed the whole 24 hours after when I felt like I get hit by a truck :smith:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

the worst didn't hit me until about ~12 hours afterward

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
What’s the current estimate for percentage of asymptomatic cases? Still about 50 percent or do we have new info on that?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Anecdotally it seems like older people have less side effects.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I'm about +12 hours from my Pfizer 2 shot. So far my arm hurts a little more than it did after the first one and I feel a little warm, but that's about it so far.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My 1st Pfizer shot was Thursday 11.20.
Other than my arm being a bit sore when I do large movements, I have felt a little tired Friday around 6 pm so I had a nap until 9.
But that may have been the busy week, not the shot.

The doc said to me Pfizer had mostly headache as a side effect and to take ibuprofen if necessary, so I guess it really varies from person to person.

A friend at a large Pharma company who got AZ reported being in bed with shivers etc for 12 hours and her company staggering vaccination because roughly half of people are out for at least a day after the shots, so they now organize the jabs to ensure the labs are staffed.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

What’s the current estimate for percentage of asymptomatic cases? Still about 50 percent or do we have new info on that?

I can't find anything more recent than last year, when studies showed between 20% and 50%.

Hopper posted:

A friend at a large Pharma company who got AZ reported being in bed with shivers etc for 12 hours and her company staggering vaccination because roughly half of people are out for at least a day after the shots, so they now organize the jabs to ensure the labs are staffed.

My haematologist said many of her patients are reporting AZ kicking their rear end.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Cacator posted:

Anecdotally it seems like older people have less side effects.
From what I've read, a weaker immune system leads to lesser side effects. Old bodies just let that poo poo pass through.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's probably not quite that simple, but that's safe to say about almost anything in immunology.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

On one hand, after almost 36 hours for Pfizer #2 my pregnant wife is a little tired at times but that's all, so I'm extremely thankful.

On the other hand she's calling me a bitch for being in bed the whole 24 hours after when I felt like I get hit by a truck :smith:

Uh, is it playfully or?

2nd shot tuesday and I was exposed the 1st. Is that worth bringing up? I feel fine, never got a fever or anything.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lolie posted:

I can't find anything more recent than last year, when studies showed between 20% and 50%.

My haematologist said many of her patients are reporting AZ kicking their rear end.

My parents got the AZ, dad was fine but mum got some pretty heavy side effects

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ok so about 11 hours in now I feel like crap. drat moderna juice is too strong.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Found out tonight I get my next shot Wednesday, here's hoping I don't get side effects like my brothers and mom.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

AFAIK, my niece is still getting breast milk from her vax'd mom.

tell me more about gaining immunity from mommy milky

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't worry, we're planning on starting up infection outbreaks again here in Australia at some point, perhaps later this year. Our PM has said that we're going to have to open up international travel at some point for vaccinated people but we'll probably durop the mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine and just let people quarantine at home. He also said that this will definitely lead to at least 1000 community infections every week but he doesn't want people to get upset about that or the state governments to close borders, we're just going to have to learn to live with it

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-15/covid-vaccinated-australians-could-be-allowed-overseas-travel/100073168

This article directly quotes comments he made in a Perth interview a few days ago...

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/incursion-opening-international-borders-would-see-1000-cases-per-week-says-morrison-20210415-p57jmo.html

...in which he was expanding on statements made by the health minister, who said the border may remain closed even after the entire Australian population is vaccinated. "This would lead to a thousand cases a week" is an explanation of why we won't throw open the borders, not a warning about what is going to happen if we do.

quote:

"That could be done and return to Australia without the need for a hotel quarantine of 14 days and to be able to do that either at home or under some other less stringent environment than you have with hotel quarantine.

"Now that would require being vaccinated and I think that would be an important incentive for people to do that."

This is the PM saying that vaccinated people could travel overseas for essential purposes and upon return, quarantine at home instead of in a hotel. Not that they're going to fling the borders open. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Whatever you think of Morrison he is well aware of the Australian community's tolerance for COVID spread (zero) and there is no chance he'll enact any policies that would lead to it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Unlucky7 posted:

This has been more or less my experience with the first Moderna, 3 days later now. In my understanding if you were infected with COV19 previously asymptomatic or otherwise and have recovered, and get vacc, then the vacc side effects kick your rear end.
If you feel relatively little effect its because you didn't have COV19 in your system at all for your body to be immunized against; as far as I understand.
So it's very good that you don't have symptoms to the vaccine, it means you successfully quarantined yourself.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
21 hours after Pfizer #2, and I'm feeling it pretty hard. Joint aches, restlessness, a nasty headache, and even a little nausea.

#1 did nothing to me other than some weird joint pain in my fingers that went away after a couple of days.

Uuuuggghhh. Still better than having COVID, for sure, but I'm glad I scheduled this for right before a weekend.

Edit: I'm mid-40's and definitely haven't had COVID previously.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2021

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021
I'm approaching 48 hours out from the second Pfizer dose and things are getting back to baseline, just a little bit of muscle pain and some flashes of a headache. The day after was pretty rough for me with a fever/headache/general fatigue. (I'm a ~30 year old guy.) I think the 15-18 hour post-vaccine window was the worst but that might also be because it woke up me and kept me from falling back asleep. It did feel weirdly relieving to have a fever without any of a runny nose/sore throat/upset stomach.

I only had a little bit of soreness near the injection site the day after the first shot, but it sounds like there are also a decent number of people don't have many problems with either one. I had expected my symptoms to be a little less bad since the Pfizer one is considered to have less bad side effects than the Moderna one, but this paper http://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2021.5374 says that people reporting non-injection site side effects from the second doses are 64 and 75% for Pfizer/Moderna respectively, which doesn't seem like a very big gap.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Sjs00 posted:

This has been more or less my experience with the first Moderna, 3 days later now. In my understanding if you were infected with COV19 previously asymptomatic or otherwise and have recovered, and get vacc, then the vacc side effects kick your rear end.
If you feel relatively little effect its because you didn't have COV19 in your system at all for your body to be immunized against; as far as I understand.
So it's very good that you don't have symptoms to the vaccine, it means you successfully quarantined yourself.

I got my rear end kicked by the second Moderna shot, though to my knowledge never had covid symptoms prior, but it's most certainly not out of the question. Not to be rude, but is there a source for that info so I can read up on it more?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I've had a subtle but def noticeable metallic taste in my mouth since getting Moderna part deux yesterday afternoon, and finally decided to Google it this morning to see if it's related. I guess it is, which makes me feel better that it's not just me.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

It's wild that people all over the place are experiencing what its like to have mild opiate/benzo/alcohol withdrawals. Everyone should be vaccinated and a little discomfort is no big deal.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So my second dose of moderna I felt nothing in the beginning, but much like an idiot who eats a whole bag of edibles and wonders why nothing is happening, I was wrong. 101 degree fever for the whole night, sucked rear end. Now it's the morning and it barely feels like anything happened, just some minor joint pain and weakness. Very odd vaccine.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I got my rear end kicked by the second Moderna shot, though to my knowledge never had covid symptoms prior, but it's most certainly not out of the question. Not to be rude, but is there a source for that info so I can read up on it more?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article250667914.html

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Thank you!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

of course. The reaction is still theory at this point but it's been commonly reported enough. Stay staying safe everyone

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The article supports this happening:
1. Been infected previously, thus strong immune response.

It specifically states this claim can't be made:
2. Strong immune response, thus been infected previously.

It doesn't claim or particularly support this:
3. Weak immune response, thus not been infected previously.

That's my reading.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

The article supports this happening:
1. Been infected previously, thus strong immune response.

It specifically states this claim can't be made:
2. Strong immune response, thus been infected previously.

It doesn't claim or particularly support this:
3. Weak immune response, thus not been infected previously.

That's my reading.

Yep. And if it’s on shot number two it has absolutely nothing to do with if you’ve been infected or not, since your immune system was already primed by the first shot.

naem
May 29, 2011

NANOBOTS ACTIVATED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep. And if it’s on shot number two it has absolutely nothing to do with if you’ve been infected or not, since your immune system was already primed by the first shot.

Also, with AZ (the vaccine the US is stockpiling millions of but not using), the first shot seems to be the one that provokes a stronger reaction than the second.