Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xzzy posted:

Just think of the grit and determination of the candidate that pulls it off though. Instant hire.

That's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over them.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

For my new job I researched who I would be interviewing with and tailored the questions specifically to their background / current role. I didn't even get through all my questions before time was up.

I had some amazing conversations and really got into the guts of the company because I 'got them talking'.

I landed a 50% increase in salary the next day for a job I still don't think I'm qualified for. Talked up 10k from the offer without fuss.

But the main point is that by asking deep questions I went from 'somebody who wants a job' to 'somebody who will drive the company' and hopefully, through that, will skip the newbie bullshit tasks. And it's very easy to do this! You can too!

Hey man that’s cool and all true, but I don’t think anyone is suggesting asking questions is bad. I specifically said you need to empathize with a candidate and where they’re at in terms of an interview process before you decide to next them. I’ve hired plenty of awkward or junior people that don’t really grasp this and they turned out anywhere from fine to awesome. Interviewing is a game within the game and being really good at it doesn’t translate to skills or output or anything like that.

Edit: in fact I’d go as far to say that anyone who is only hiring pro interviewers is going to wind up self selecting for a really specific kind of person that might not wind up being the best teammates together.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 16, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

My bosses invite people to interview that they've already decided they're not going to give the job to, just to pad it out. My advice is don't be anything like those pieces of poo poo 👍

My boss and I will interview people we don't expect to hire. Two months ago we had an FTE position open and ended up talking to 7 people. Of the two must-haves in the job description, only one candidate had either and with both was an easy pick. We talked to the other 6 because that wasn't the only opportunity this Spring and we wanted to to build our talent pool. We do call back good candidates when new opportunities come up, and refer people to opening in other groups, so an interview with us is not a waste of time.

Unless you're one of the people who doesn't have a response for "tell me a troubleshooting story that makes you look good." Then my time gets wasted.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Unless you're one of the people who doesn't have a response for "tell me a troubleshooting story that makes you look good." Then my time gets wasted.

I loving hate that question. Troubleshooting is like 90% of what I do, none of it really stands out to me off the top of my head.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I fix things just by being near them, and someone once called me a magician because as I started looking at diagnostic logs the app started working again even though I didn’t touch anything. I made up a story about how I fixed it and everyone thought I was awesome at my job.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Here's my impression, but I want to ask to clarify:

is it more about 'people that don't ask questions are doormats, and an indication you're not invested or will need constant handholding for basic tasks and can't be trusted to find answers on their own' mark against/flag?

I've heard a lot of stories in the thread about coworkers that like aren't willing or able to learn new things and being an endless source of frustration for coworkers who have you carry their weight so:

how do you filter these applicants out? if not this way, what other steps do you take from the hiring side?

edit: regarding the binning resume/questions thing. Conversation/paged moved a bit while I was typing.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 16, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can't think of any troubleshooting stories that make me look good. That's my entire job. I don't write this crap down.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I loving hate that question. Troubleshooting is like 90% of what I do, none of it really stands out to me off the top of my head.

It doesn’t have to be a work story, or even a “troubleshooting” story. The interviewer is trying to get a feel for your problem solving technique and help get an idea of your claimed experience is authentic.

It can be something like “ We have this type of problem regularly at work right now and this is what I’ve done to reduce the impact” or “I did this really dumb thing but this is the lesson ove learned from it so it won’t happen again”

This is also a question that you should expect and have 1 or 2 stories prepped for it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mllaneza posted:

:cripes:

Seriously?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It seems almost alien to me that there's people who have been in IT for at least a year and don't have at least one story worth telling. Maybe a result in working for a really big company where everything so locked down you're just resetting passwords all day and don't have the opportunity to ever take on any projects?

And if your autonomy actually is so low that you're literally operating off a script and get written up if you deviate, there's not a whole lot of useful experience I can see coming from that outside of people skills. (which are extremely important!)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I forget everything the minute I walk out the door. I don't sit around thinking about all the poo poo I fixed all day. I've been doing it for so long, it's all gone man.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My last "tell me about a time ..." question was "Tell me about a time you developed your skills. Since I've been unemployed for a couple of months now I just told them I perfected this recipe since I spend a lot of time cooking now:
https://thewoksoflife.com/red-braised-pork-belly-mao/

The HR lady was clearly trying to move the conversation into the direction of professional development but I already told her that I always make a development plan during onboarding.

edit: My best troubleshooting story is still the time I had to explore the wet markets of Yangon to find 1 computer shop that could sell me network cables and a usb to R232 cable.
Or the one where I moved a server room by tuk tuk.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 16, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I forget everything the minute I walk out the door. I don't sit around thinking about all the poo poo I fixed all day. I've been doing it for so long, it's all gone man.

:same:

I know I got stories, but 90% of it is looking at a log someone else didn't think to or scrolling through google results. That story goes in the trash bin 15 minutes after I've fixed things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have a lady friend that always asks what I worked on all day and while I was busy all day I can't tell her one thing I worked on because I don't want to think about it off hours. I honestly can't think of anything as soon as I clock out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There is a difference between remember details of specific incidents at work and crafting a narrative in your job interview.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm a terrible story teller. Not great if the interviewer wants to be wowed, amazing, sad, laughing, and so forth by my amazing story telling skills.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
GN what does your fantasy job interview look like?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone else work in a highly regulated environment? It's been a frustrating week and I'm just venting here, but I swear to loving god I do like 5 minutes of actual work. 40 hours a week, 25 of those are meetings, 14 hours and 55 minutes is spent figuring out the "paperwork" and getting authorization to make the change, and maybe 5 minutes spent actually doing something. I mean I get it... major financial institution... but drat its frustrating. Still better than my last job, and they pay me well, so maybe I should not bitch at all.

Thanks for listening.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I haven't had a job interview in 18 years. That interview was basically "I'm too busy to interview and you're the first one I've talked to. Want the job?".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Anyone else work in a highly regulated environment? It's been a frustrating week and I'm just venting here, but I swear to loving god I do like 5 minutes of actual work. 40 hours a week, 25 of those are meetings, 14 hours and 55 minutes is spent figuring out the "paperwork" and getting authorization to make the change, and maybe 5 minutes spent actually doing something. I mean I get it... major financial institution... but drat its frustrating. Still better than my last job, and they pay me well, so maybe I should not bitch at all.

Thanks for listening.

Yup I do. It will always have that element of endless frustration, trust me. You gotta decide if you want to put up with it or not. Both my long-term IT jobs have been in highly regulated environments, one private and one public. It's important you understand why it's so highly regulated and why you're doing this. So you can understand the end goal for the headaches. That works for me at least.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skipdogg posted:

I did 6 months in pharma. It was exactly the same and everyone except me seemed to be very comfortable in that environment.

edit: I would go back but only as an invisible middle manager that works 100% remotely and never attends meetings.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

skipdogg posted:

Thanks for listening.

I left a large bank in 2016 and you’d have to pay me an impossible amount of money to go back. Had the same experience.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

I left a large bank in 2016 and you’d have to pay me an impossible amount of money to go back. Had the same experience.

Same. You can’t pay me enough to go back.

It had an incredible toxic environment which still bothers me to this day. I’ve been out of there for almost a decade now.

If Dante lived today one of the circles of hell would certainly resemble working at a bank.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup I do. It will always have that element of endless frustration, trust me. You gotta decide if you want to put up with it or not. Both my long-term IT jobs have been in highly regulated environments, one private and one public. It's important you understand why it's so highly regulated and why you're doing this. So you can understand the end goal for the headaches. That works for me at least.

I think most of it is I'm still pretty new. I just started at the first of the year and I pretty much want to finish my career here (at least that was the idea), but even though things are somewhat well documented (they still need a lot of work), it's just frustrating trying to figure all this crap out. I'm sure it'll be fine once I have a year or so under my belt. A lot of it is I'm feeling like I need to start showing some solid contributions and getting some "wins" under my belt, but everyone on my team is just like...yeah it's going to take a long time to figure this all out. Self imposed stress.

i am a moron posted:

Yeah, it's a Fortune 100 financial services company. I had to ask which freaking CAB to attend since there's like 4 a day or something... I'm going to start a "so you're new here" wiki....

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, it's a Fortune 100 financial services company. I had to ask which freaking CAB to attend since there's like 4 a day or something... I'm going to start a "so you're new here" wiki....

And the CAB might refer the change request to the DRB (data review board) or SRB (security review board) and oh btw if this is even slightly political some asshat on the CAB will kick it back with a trillion questions to be a dick or make you resubmit but for this particular CAB they only meet once a month so by the time it’s unfucked six months passed by and everyone lost interest in the drat thing anyways

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Same. You can’t pay me enough to go back.

It had an incredible toxic environment which still bothers me to this day. I’ve been out of there for almost a decade now.

If Dante lived today one of the circles of hell would certainly resemble working at a bank.

I actually had an old GM that ran that as part of another game I wasn't part of - they had a party wipe and die, I think it might've been an L5R game - and instead of ending the campaign...

They got sent to one of the thousand buddhist afterlife/hells.

THIS one was a modern office space environment and the party was more or less 'forced' into the role of telemarketers, having to dial up other infernal entities and try to sell them products that they may or may not be interested in.

the 'nice' ones would hang up and tell them they're not interested
the lovely ones would tell them off and curse them out and get angry at the messenger, because its hell, of course they would eat some crow for doing their job
and the diabolical ones would pretend to be into the product just to waste their time and then hang up.

And of course, since its hell, failing to meet your quotas results in punishment and the system is stacked to all but make sure you always fail with only a tiny margin of hope to keep you going.

The worst part is? Getting just successful enough to be promoted to management, and having to step on your fellow spirits, thus perpetuating the endless bullshit - once you get used to it, a little reprieve is enough to make you not want to leave at all, and get stuck doing it forever.

and that's the story of tho how the party/gm turned Office Space into a jailbreak/heist misadventure. Its hell, you're notsupposed to meet up and work together to buy time until they could figure out how to escape entirely.

It sounded hilarious as I heard, while also a little cutting too close to home as I got older.

Still funny though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

i am a moron posted:

And the CAB might refer the change request to the DRB (data review board) or SRB (security review board) and oh btw if this is even slightly political some asshat on the CAB will kick it back with a trillion questions to be a dick or make you resubmit but for this particular CAB they only meet once a month so by the time it’s unfucked six months passed by and everyone lost interest in the drat thing anyways

:hmmyes: yeah, you got it lol

I think the pro move is to jump from team to team every 2 to 3 years... until I retire. I might be able to get away with accomplishing almost nothing for the next 25 years.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My manager was on the CAB and hated me, so I spent 3 months with change management to make all the changes I wanted to do pre-approved so I could bypass his stupid rear end. Worked for a lot of stuff and the stuff it didn't work for I ignored and didn't touch.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

pulled a full day today slinging poo poo around the new clinic - walked out at 4 a free man (until wed). feels good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The CAB here just rubber-stamps everything, the amount of times that I've found a customer double-booked for changes that can't take place at the same time is ridiculous.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For better or worse everything I do right now is 2-3 layers removed from production infrastructure so I haven’t had to deal with the cab at this job

Last job it was a minor frustration, worst turnaround was 3 months for some network changes, most stuff was usually 2-3 weeks

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I routinely test in prod. Thankfully there are physical interlocks that (should) protect people from lethal incidents :v:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our only non-prod environments are customer facing. Everything on the backend is prod only which has led to some fun moments, but also has forced us to make everything incredibly resilient to failure. At this point the only way we can really hard down the companies client services is by having a full US-East outage or I majorly gently caress up the AWS Transit Gateway in some way that would probably get me fired.

Biggest stink I get is if we make changes without announcing them, people don't seem to care if we break poo poo as long as they know we might break poo poo

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The day your company first rolled their app out I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of best practices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible will happen.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Podima posted:

This is the same level of arbitrary nonsense as binning any resume over 1 page long.

Counterpoint: any resume with mycomputercareer.edu or the like on it

We’ve gone through a bunch of revisions to how we do cab and I like how we just tweaked it. Anything that scores under 25 on a probability/risk calculation for impact on the form just goes straight to the app owner for approval, no CAB needed. Otherwise it’s twice a week for normal CAB approvals, only show up if you have a change. Anything with potential widespread impact will be mentioned in the daily department standup cadence.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 17, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Maybe I'll get back into software development."

:smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

"Maybe I'll get back into software development."

:smith:

Alabama? I hired my tech right out of 2 yr college for 45k.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Well we have a recruiter looking for candidates but they sent over the resume of a guy who was our 2nd choice last time since he had already been interviewed recently by my soon-to-be previous manager.

Their resume is like 4 pages long and it’s a fuckin’ mess, like punctuation and formatting-wise. I kinda suspect that’s from the recruiter.

Let’s pray they’re a good character fit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We hired a contractor through a firm, and the resumes the various firms sent us were like 7-12 pages chock full of every single buzzword and technology you could think of (it didn't help that our "ask" was incredibly vague). I basically had to ignore the quality of the resumes because I was 100% sure they'd all been doctored by the firms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have my second Covid shot tomorrow and half of me is hoping I’m sick for two days so I can call out of the shitshow at work Monday.