Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Storm One posted:

Why the gently caress do they keep pulling this poo poo, just let users pick the resolution already. Are there even any 1440p TVs?
Sure 1440p is not a native TV standard but on a 4K TV it makes a clear improvement if a game is rendered at 1440p instead of 1080p, and 4K TVs are super commonplace by now. Of course the Series S (as all Xboxes since the One S) is able to upscale to 4K.

Agree though that sometimes it makes sense to settle for 1080p. And definitely agree that 45 fps is a problematic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
John from Digital Foundry thinks it's not a cap, but an average.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1383013775674990592?s=21

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Sure, and I believe that's what QoP was assuming as well, but any non-integer factors of 60 are going to look like arse in a regular display. The only good choices are stable 60 or 30, really.

45fps average means judder, we'd be better off with capped 30 (or, y'know, locked 1080p60, or 720p even).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I actually assumed it was a cap because I have no idea why you’d want to advertise your game averages 45fps instead of just... capping it on consoles that don’t support VRR

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Yeah it's pretty clear it's not a cap - title of the table says 'expected frame rates' so maybe they thought it was worth it to have some sections not hit 60 with raytracing on.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
1440p is the gaming monitor sweet spot right now so I'm assuming they are aiming at a lot of players also playing on monitors instead of couch.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

There's also Arkham Asylum on One X, which for some reason runs at a locked 45 fps. So an actual 45 fps cap wouldn't be entirely without a precedent. Arkham City is 30 fps, however.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
MLB is out for early access baseball touchers. Verdict: It's Good

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

So are they relying on VRR to not make that average 45fps feel like dog poo poo?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Look at these resident evil village specs:

45fps
:dafuq:

Also the PS4 pro doing higher framerate than the series s :mrwhite:

Basically leave raytracing turned off will be my policy for this. Will see how good it really is in the digital foundry review, but will likely just leave it off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

barnold posted:

MLB is out for early access baseball touchers. Verdict: It's Good

The only complaint i've seen so far is that you are locked into one player for Road to the Show. If you want to make multiple save files for new players, you're unable to do this now. It's a weird change, because this has always been a thing the Show playerbase does.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

I said come in! posted:

The only complaint i've seen so far is that you are locked into one player for Road to the Show. If you want to make multiple save files for new players, you're unable to do this now. It's a weird change, because this has always been a thing the Show playerbase does.

Didn't even notice honestly. I'm going to blame the new RTTS-DD integration this year for this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Otherwise I am glad to see that MLB the Show 21 is a solid release, even on Xbox. I am excited to start playing it on the 20th. I was nervous because the beta test was really rough.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really like the texture they added to the series x/s version of the controllers. Particularly on the triggers, feels nice. Also I love that the controllers from the bone to the series gens are back AND forward compatible. Someday when people can come over again I will actually have four controllers for party games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone made a Jurassic Park stadium in the Show 21 https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/comments/ms5925/welcome_to_jurassic_park/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How are the load times flipping through menus and stuff because that eventually drove me crazy on the PS4

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How are the load times flipping through menus and stuff because that eventually drove me crazy on the PS4

so fast that seeing the same exact loving picture of jackie robinson in every loving loading screen won't even bother you after a while

seriously SDS what the gently caress could you only afford a single stock photo or something

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I said come in! posted:

Otherwise I am glad to see that MLB the Show 21 is a solid release, even on Xbox. I am excited to start playing it on the 20th. I was nervous because the beta test was really rough.

i dont think anything could be worse than RBI '20.
I paid $15 for it, and I am siting on an average cost of around 50 cents per inning as a result. It's just terrible.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Also it's worth pointing out that on Xbox, the controls listed in the menu are completely wrong for fielding :laffo: I was wondering why my RTTS guy kept throwing to 3rd base and it's because SDS has no idea how their own control scheme works

EDIT: Seriously, do NOT play RTTS until the game gets patched. The poo poo is so loving broken it's actually hilarious. None of the controls match up to what's presented to you on screen, you can't throw the ball as a fielder, you can't take an aggressive lead as a base-runner, controlling your player with the analog stick for Advance/Return literally doesn't loving work. Are you on 1st and the batter flies out to left? Hope you like getting doubled up because your guy is going to run straight to 2nd anyway without tagging up, and only after he reaches the base will he consider running back to first even if you've held the analog stick down to Return the entire time.

I guess that technical test really did a lot of good. DD plays fine but RTTS doesn't work at all. I wonder if it's the same on PS

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 16, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I hate it when the forums go down for maintenance.

Playing The Division 2 on my Series X and it's mad how much of a difference 60FPS makes to gameplay next to 30.

Also the music in these games is loving unreal. Just a rhythmic pulse with some synth overlaid. Marvellous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Division 2 has a ridiculously great soundtrack, I loved the classified mission in the night club for that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pleased the One X handles the new Resident Evil at 1080p 60fps, I'm just wondering if there will be graphical sacrifices to hit that or it will literally look like a lower res version of the Series X build, just without the fancy raytracing and HDR.

Do we know if the game works with Microsoft's initiative for games to be cross-gen and only needing to be purchased once? So if it's bought on One X it will work on Series X with all the extra features whenever the console's actually available to buy somewhere? Xbox has become my main console now because of that and Sony not being as considerate, so I hope it's part of the program and isn't being held back because Sony has the marketing deal for it.

Also, does anyone know how many years of XBL Gold you can stack on your account? I think someone once said it was 3? I've no interest in Game Pass and just want to stick with Live.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah Resi8 has smart delivery

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

Also, does anyone know how many years of XBL Gold you can stack on your account? I think someone once said it was 3? I've no interest in Game Pass and just want to stick with Live.

Yeah the maximum is 36 months.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah the maximum is 36 months.

that's not just the limit for GPU conversion? strange for them to not allow max stacking; subwise.

suddently reminded of a sweet free ride i got on live from 2007-2013 or so because it took that long for them to notice a glitch on their end which said my sub expired in the year 0001 or somesuchyear like that(a glitch which, afaik, stemmed from being part of the XBL beta in 2002).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nah it's the max for a regular Live Gold sub. When I went to stack mine up before converting to gpu, I had to wait like a month to apply the last 12-month code Gold code, because I was already at 25 months and it would have put me over the cap.

Relatedly, it's pretty funny if you turn off automatic billing after stacking up a bunch of time. You get taken to a page that's like "nooooooo, you'll lose out on all your sweet Xbox Live Gold benefits in, uh....*checks notes* 2023!"

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 16, 2021

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

probably something to do with using the wrong RAM; can't store dates too far futured.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It might be a liability thing where they don't want people stacking up 20 years of gamepass in case it ever fails and they have to end it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

barnold posted:

Also it's worth pointing out that on Xbox, the controls listed in the menu are completely wrong for fielding :laffo: I was wondering why my RTTS guy kept throwing to 3rd base and it's because SDS has no idea how their own control scheme works

EDIT: Seriously, do NOT play RTTS until the game gets patched. The poo poo is so loving broken it's actually hilarious. None of the controls match up to what's presented to you on screen, you can't throw the ball as a fielder, you can't take an aggressive lead as a base-runner, controlling your player with the analog stick for Advance/Return literally doesn't loving work. Are you on 1st and the batter flies out to left? Hope you like getting doubled up because your guy is going to run straight to 2nd anyway without tagging up, and only after he reaches the base will he consider running back to first even if you've held the analog stick down to Return the entire time.

I guess that technical test really did a lot of good. DD plays fine but RTTS doesn't work at all. I wonder if it's the same on PS

Hopefully there's a day one patch

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

There definitely will be. I'm sure this early access period, like most, is just an extension of the tech preview and will be used to inform that 50GB day one patch

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Butterflysmasher posted:

a glitch which, afaik, stemmed from being part of the XBL beta in 2002).

Ha, I was on the beta. Did they ever send you free stuff? They sent me a copy of Mechwarrior.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I find that truck racing game that is now free on gold to be pretty bad compared to what else is out there for racing games. The framerate is horrible for a racing game and you get penalized for bumping into someone. It handles badly but I guess that's to be expected because it's trucks.

Had anyone tried Kingdom Two Crowns that is free to play this week? It seems interesting but haven't tried it yet.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

SUNKOS posted:

I've no interest in Game Pass and just want to stick with Live.

You don’t want to pay literally $1 for 3 years of access to 300+ games? What is wrong with you man.

I’m not sure why anyone would want to buy more than 3 years of live, that’s like a genuine long term investment. There’s options that will give you a much better return than giving Microsoft an interest free loan for 3+ years.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ha, I was on the beta. Did they ever send you free stuff? They sent me a copy of Mechwarrior.

just an embarrassing 'im good with my hands *xbox branding*' t-shirt & those free years of online service(though as i remember the initial kit with headset/revolt live was free too)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Doctor Nutt posted:

Division 2 has a ridiculously great soundtrack, I loved the classified mission in the night club for that.

Yeah it's great. My 8 hour free trial ended earlier today and going back to the first game at 30FPS and its insanely complicated levelling system is horribly jarring.

Is 2 likely to be on Game Pass or Games with Gold any time? Not a huge deal as I just bought it off Amazon for £6.49.

I really hope that 30FPS gets consigned to the history books when the new consoles start being the primary target for developers. This is the first time that consoles are really like high end gaming PCs and I hope they treat them as such.

Really can't wait to see what this hardware can do.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 17, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah it's great. My 8 hour free trial ended earlier today and going back to the first game at 30FPS and its insanely complicated levelling system is horribly jarring.

Is 2 likely to be on Game Pass or Games with Gold any time? Not a huge deal as I just bought it off Amazon for £6.49.

I really hope that 30FPS gets consigned to the history books when the new consoles start being the primary target for developers. This is the first time that consoles are really like high end gaming PCs and I hope they treat them as such.

Really can't wait to see what this hardware can do.

You just missed the complete edition being on sale for like 20 bucks, it brings me no pleasure to report this news. But yeah, personally having tried both of them on the series x I wouldn't touch div 1 again after 2. In addition to 30 fps feeling bad it feels like it has a weird amount of input lag or something that's not helped by my TV's game mode.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Doctor Nutt posted:

I really like the texture they added to the series x/s version of the controllers. Particularly on the triggers, feels nice.

Oh yeah, the grip texture is really nice, enough that I'm considering buying an extra controller to use on my PC too.

Any recommendations for rechargeable batteries for the controllers? I know Microsoft used to sell a charging kit for controllers that could be charged inside of the controller, but I don't know if they still do or if there are third party alternatives that work fine and won't set my living room on fire.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Get eneloops or any other rechargeable AA batteries.

The main benefit of the official Microsoft kit is that you can charge the battery pack while using the controller.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Eneloops or just Amazon Basics rechargeable for the last decade have been fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Looks like I can get a charger and four pack of them for about half the cost of the Microsoft equivalent, so that's sufficient enough to always have a backup pair of batteries ready for my controller. I'll give em a shot, thanks!