Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baby slept 10 hours through the night last night, had to wake her up for breakfast :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

M. Night Skymall posted:

There are also montessori programs that go past kindergarten. My school district has several schools that run montessori from PK3-6th grade, and then they have a regular middle school for 7th/8th before you head off to regular high school, but PK3-8th grade is all in the same school, so I'm sure the teachers handle whatever transitionary pains there are pretty well. My kid started in PK3 at one and really likes it, although covid obviously messed it up pretty good, but having the same teacher for 3 years straight is really nice.

ETA: They run classrooms in 3 year chunks with 21ish kids in each room spread between the ages, so PK3-K, 1-3, 4-6 are all together.

I went to one of those, a Montessori school that went up through 6th grade. I absolutely think it was a positive experience overall but the teachers did not set me up well for the transition in the slightest. 7th grade was one of the lowest points in my childhood.

But that was 20+ years ago and every program has its own unique thing going on, so I'm not going to generalize that experience and say that Montessori inherently prepares people poorly.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Regarding Park Kids, they can be so crappy.

One of my kids has trouble communicating in terms of speaking and listening so while he was at the top of the slide, he hesitated and the older kid behind him was telling him to hurry up in no uncertain terms.

Another time, my other child was trying to go down a slide when older kids tried climbing up that same slide even though, I believe, he saw that others were trying to go down the slide.

I want to place this into kids being ignorant of others and a bit of selfishness but man, it was tough to see.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

I went to one of those, a Montessori school that went up through 6th grade. I absolutely think it was a positive experience overall but the teachers did not set me up well for the transition in the slightest. 7th grade was one of the lowest points in my childhood.

But that was 20+ years ago and every program has its own unique thing going on, so I'm not going to generalize that experience and say that Montessori inherently prepares people poorly.

Wait, was 7th/8th at the same school as the montessori part? It's weird to me that the 7th grade teachers wouldn't be set up to help kids transition out of 6th grade montessori into regular schooling(But not *that* surprising.) Also, not to diminish, but man 7th grade is the lowest point of like everybody's childhood. What a god awful age. Anyway, guess I'll have to look at it a little harder when my kid is a little closer to that age. The school she's at is new and they only have kids up to 4th grade. They're adding a grade to it every year as the first set of kids age into it. Hopefully they have a good plan for when they get to the middle school part.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

M. Night Skymall posted:

Wait, was 7th/8th at the same school as the montessori part? It's weird to me that the 7th grade teachers wouldn't be set up to help kids transition out of 6th grade montessori into regular schooling(But not *that* surprising.) Also, not to diminish, but man 7th grade is the lowest point of like everybody's childhood. What a god awful age. Anyway, guess I'll have to look at it a little harder when my kid is a little closer to that age. The school she's at is new and they only have kids up to 4th grade. They're adding a grade to it every year as the first set of kids age into it. Hopefully they have a good plan for when they get to the middle school part.

No, the school just cut off at 6th so I went straight from this tiny little boutique mixed-grade program to the full unadulterated public middle school experience. Plus there were some unique circumstances surrounding which district I should have been placed into so I switched schools mid-year.

Any program that has 7/8th grade integrated into the earlier years is going to be way ahead of that experience. I think if you're already aware of the potential issues and are trying to address them in advance then you've got a leg up on my parents.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We haven't started looking at schools yet and we know literally nothing about schools or how to judge schools or whatever. I don't want to do charter schools because from what I can tell they're not any better than normal schools and often exist just to allow racial segregation / make money?

How do we judge schools? What 'school review' site is good? Etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Go right to the district/school website, they should have all of their data available vis a vis test scores, etc. That doesn’t give you the feel/anecdotal stories, but hard data is a good place to start.

However, the number one indicator for school success? Look for the #/% of kids on free and reduced lunch.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is more free lunch better or is less free lunch better? (I didn't go to school in the USA)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

redreader posted:

Is more free lunch better or is less free lunch better? (I didn't go to school in the USA)

More free lunch means that there are more students whose families qualify for the program. It a way to say "poor kids go here" and feels lovely to have on those review sites.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

redreader posted:

We haven't started looking at schools yet and we know literally nothing about schools or how to judge schools or whatever. I don't want to do charter schools because from what I can tell they're not any better than normal schools and often exist just to allow racial segregation / make money?

How do we judge schools? What 'school review' site is good? Etc.

We use Niche and Schooldigger. Niche gives a rough above/below average/highly rated based on various factors that in not familiar with, but I really go there because they list the percentage of students proficient in math and reading. This isn't perfectly correlated to school program and could also reflect demographics/backgrounds/attending the school, but it's a start. Schooldigger will rate the the school out of all schools in the state (ie: 200 of 1500 elementary schools) based on more factors I haven't broken down. Both sites have a million more ratings you can look at if you want, but I usually just do that to make sure I'm comfortable with a school vs. trying to pick between two different ones.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2021

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Browsing school district ratings sites while we were buying a house was an incredibly depressing experience. Too many obvious “this is where poor people go” metrics and nudges against living anywhere but a white suburb.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My youngest's allergies are kicking in (my wife, eldest and youngest all get it bad. myself and the middle kid are spared!) and have to explain to the preschool lady that it's just allergies and not anything else when she shows up sniffing and occasionally sneezing, so that's fun in this day and age!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
From what I’ve seen there’s a pretty tight correlation between school ratings and home values, proficiency levels, % of kids getting free or reduced lunch, and % of English-language learners. Maximizing school ratings pretty much inherently means minimizing socioeconomic diversity. So keep that in mind when you look at the rating scales.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Quick question that’s hard to google. 3.5mo Baby girl is hitting developmental milestones with no real issues, but I noticed that she hasn’t been coping as much, nor has she been trying to jackknife onto her stomach as much. I read that some babies can only tackle one or two skills as a time. That doesn’t feel right to me, but she is learning how to eat her entire fist, and that looks tough. Is skill regression a thing?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 16, 2021

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

How old is she?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My kid hated to be on her belly until she was like fully crawling. Just because she can do a thing doesn't mean she needs to do it all the time.

Milestone anxiety is real though and I hate it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw this tweet today from the bluey account and it made me laugh because each of my 3 kids aligns perfectly with one of these

https://mobile.twitter.com/OfficialBlueyTV/status/1382801082045366277

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The risk with Montessori and kid-led learning is that it can lead to kids avoiding things they’re not interested in or that don’t come naturally. It didn’t happen to me, but happened to my sister and brother. My mother warned me - and sure enough it happened with my daughter too. She decided reading / pre-reading was hard and she wasn’t going to do it. And they... let her. So she was well, well behind all of her peers on entering public school - and had been one of the furthest behind in her year in Montessori as well, turns out.

Now that she’s in a program where she HAS to do it, though, suddenly she’s gone from way below grade level to way above. Maybe it would have happened anyways if we’d left her in a Montessori program for elementary school... but then again maybe not.

For preschool - yeah, it’s fine. Beyond that, it’ll depend a lot on how self-motivated and curious your kid is. It’s def not for everyone.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

sheri posted:

How old is she?

Oops, 3.5 mo I’ll edit the post thanks

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone have good recommendations for sunscreen for sensitive skin kids? My youngest is very fair like me so we have to keep her slathered in the sun but putting it on she wails and screams like it is acid on her. It’s probably mostly because she loves to fight me on everything but I thought I’d try to get the least trouble one I can.

I already get the good stuff like Ombrelle kids and neutrogena ultrasheer spf60, any better options to deal with this?

Spray stuff is obviously right out since it is usually pretty alcohol heavy (even in kids ones I find). Maybe the stick style?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

meanolmrcloud posted:

Oops, 3.5 mo I’ll edit the post thanks

At 3.5 months I would not worry at all.
Babies go through stages where they're super intent on accomplishing something and then moving on.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

priznat posted:

I saw this tweet today from the bluey account and it made me laugh because each of my 3 kids aligns perfectly with one of these

https://mobile.twitter.com/OfficialBlueyTV/status/1382801082045366277

Just checked out an episode and it is too cute. Adding to baby scroll. Thank

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KirbyKhan posted:

Just checked out an episode and it is too cute. Adding to baby scroll. Thank

Bluey is the best children's show hands down.

Except my kids don't like it for whatever reason so I just watch it myself. Can't wait for Season 2 on D+

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Bluey is great. It's our daughter favorite show, if we say anything about what to watch she yells out Bluey. Sleepytime, Camping, and Flat Pack are our favorite episodes. It's also a show I can watch the same episode multiple times and pickup up small call backs to other episodes.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sleepytime is art.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s so great and I even listen to the “Gotta Be Done” podcast when it comes out every week, I’m definitely more into the show than my kids at this point (they love it too though) but I apologize for nothing!!

They really need to add S2 to Disney+, what the heck. I use a VPN to watch it from the ATV website/stream for the kids, laff.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
So how long does the wild shrieking phase last? I can’t tell if baby is upset, amused, or just trying out his voice!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

priznat posted:

It’s so great and I even listen to the “Gotta Be Done” podcast when it comes out every week, I’m definitely more into the show than my kids at this point (they love it too though) but I apologize for nothing!!

They really need to add S2 to Disney+, what the heck. I use a VPN to watch it from the ATV website/stream for the kids, laff.

We've seen all of the episodes. Our daughter has a few toys and a Bluey stuffed animal she sleeps with. Hell I even have the Bluey album. I'm just glad we all enjoy it equally.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

remigious posted:

So how long does the wild shrieking phase last? I can’t tell if baby is upset, amused, or just trying out his voice!

Yes.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

remigious posted:

If you find out please tell me

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

remigious posted:

It’s supposed to end at some point?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

remigious posted:

Hmm-I’m 39 and I don’t do that anymore...that’s all I can offer.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

remigious posted:

Mine lasted about 2 months before chilling out until teething started halfway through four months.

Happily, he is easily distracted from teething pain if I dance like an idiot in front of him, or do floor cardio exercises, so now I'm working my way up on doing jumping jacks, pushups and, like one burpee after I feed him before getting him to tummy time.

Probably doesn't work well if you have more than one kid though?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Our 5-year-old is starting to get on my nerves. She wears pull-ups for bed, and we've been making her try to pee every night before we turn off the light. Most of the time nothing happens. Same thing tonight, except 45 minutes after I left, she had an accident. So she definitely had to pee, and she may have even still been awake. How can we encourage her to pee when she ought to? She hasn't had accidents during the day in well over a year.

To follow up on this, I talked to my wife about it and she doesn't want to try the underwear thing until my wife's done with the school year. In the meantime, the girl's had several accidents, including at least one last night. She is better about peeing right before bed, but this is getting out of hand. It sounds like the leaks are happening up the back of her Goodnite pull-ups. Is there anything we can do to seal that up? Duct tape seems a little cruel.

Edit: may have found the problem. The last box of Goodnites we bought are the boy variety. I thought it was just an a anesthetic difference. That may have been an incorrect assumption!

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 17, 2021

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

remigious posted:

At least for us, there was about a month where she would shriek at the top of her lungs somewhere in the 7-9 month range. Eventually that settled into a loud cry. Now she’s learning to talk so it’s a combination of “noooooooo” followed by biting herself and then a loud cry and 20 minute meltdown. I preferred the shrieks I think.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nachos posted:

At least for us, there was about a month where she would shriek at the top of her lungs somewhere in the 7-9 month range. Eventually that settled into a loud cry. Now she’s learning to talk so it’s a combination of “noooooooo” followed by biting herself and then a loud cry and 20 minute meltdown. I preferred the shrieks I think.

The shrieks are indeed preferable to biting oneself on purpose and crying about it

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We are going through the “everything hurts” phase right now too. The most minor of bumps, and often nothing at all, she’s going “Ouch!!! Kiss it?!?” Then holding out various body parts.

She turned two a few days ago, and the morning of her birthday, woke up at 2am fully awake. My husband tried to get her back to sleep until 4am, then I took over, and finally at 5:30 I gave up and brought her into bed with me for the first time ever. She slept until 7. Now every night since she has woken up between 2-4am, fully awake, asking to sleep in mommy’s crib. Bedtime has also suddenly become a struggle, she does not want to let go of me and there’s wailing and tears and it’s just.... uuugghhh. Welcome to Two.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

We are going through the “everything hurts” phase right now too. The most minor of bumps, and often nothing at all, she’s going “Ouch!!! Kiss it?!?” Then holding out various body parts.

She turned two a few days ago, and the morning of her birthday, woke up at 2am fully awake. My husband tried to get her back to sleep until 4am, then I took over, and finally at 5:30 I gave up and brought her into bed with me for the first time ever. She slept until 7. Now every night since she has woken up between 2-4am, fully awake, asking to sleep in mommy’s crib. Bedtime has also suddenly become a struggle, she does not want to let go of me and there’s wailing and tears and it’s just.... uuugghhh. Welcome to Two.

Unfortunately once it starts, or in the case of sleeping in your bed you allow it to start, it’s here to stay for a bit.

Our son manufactures boo-boos to get us to kiss them better. One time he said he had a boo-boo on his bottom and sorry kid I’m not kissing your rear end.

But the bed thing—you give them an inch...they take a mile. It happens once and that is the way things are now if you ask them. Ours is the same, he came into our room multiple times most nights and it was miserable getting awakened so much and having to get out of bed to take him back to his room, and of course having to be able to muster up the will to deny him access to our bed. It started by letting him in when he’d wake up early in the morning and then he started to wake up that early it seems on purpose just to get in with us. We thought it was okay in the morning until we realized it was still dark and for all he knew it was midnight, so he was coming in at all hours every time he woke up because it was all the same to him. Even with a hatch rest white noise light—if it was red, he didn’t give a poo poo. Still doesn’t, if he wants in our bed he gets out of bed and tries.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Our 3.5 yo still sleeps my bed with us because we both worked and having to choose between sleep training or an easy full night rest at 2 yo was an easy decision at the time. We're paying for it now but I don't think we would have survived back then. I figure it's going to suck whenever we do it, but at least now we can talk to her and let her know what we're doing and we know she's screaming at us because she's mad at having to use her bed vs something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

For those that breastfed/pumped what's the weaning schedule look like? Everything online just says "oh it's a personal choice" and doesn't really give a good idea of timelines.

Mini Pony is coming up on 11 months and we would like to have him to be totally weaned to bottles by his 1st birthday, as well as having completely stopped pumping by then.

Currently when he's at daycare he is BF in the morning, gets three bottles 7oz during the day, and then gets BF in the evening (in addition to three meals a day). Non daycare days he is BF only. I was thinking that it would be easiest to first make every day a daycare day with 3 bottles, then ~5 days later switch the evening BF for a bottle, finally switching the morning one over a week later.

During that time we'd be gradually reducing pumping. We have about 800oz frozen but we have no real idea how long that will last because we don't know how much he eats in the morning and evening. I suspect it isn't much because the morning feed is about 30 mins after a pumping session (plus he chows down on breakfast) and he's pretty lackadaisical about the evening feed. The goal is to get him over the 1 year mark before running out since then we can go straight to cow's milk.