Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for skipping G0bbet for this one.

Also, Maximum Law is a dork, but he's a funny dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rockstar Massacre posted:

leave Gobbet at home because you'll probably be bringing her everywhere after this as an Adept, whereas this coming mission is one of few areas that Duncan's expertiseis, in theory, relevant.

:hmmyes:

Changed my vote.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Space Kablooey posted:

That must have been a mouthful for him. :v:
Ar-threed-st'zerorm. I have to assume if he just said "Redstorm" and popped up a hologram with the spelling the game would have told us.

Frederick Ka Fai's portrait reads like a Kickstarter backer to me, mostly because of the cat. That said, if it was doable I would totally have my character's cat cybered up with a cybereye and broadcast suite so I could watch his feed. Might not be excessively useful as a tech-familiar, but it's the kind of pink mohawkery I enjoy. I'm also a big fan of Ten-Arms Ambrose, my first SR character concept was a paraplegic rigger in an armored spider-chair. A bit ambitious for a first character concept, especially when I didn't have the custom vehicle rules on hand.

I'll echo the people saying to leave Gobbet, my party through here would be Is0bel and Racter based on those descriptions.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Law obviously just said "Redstorm" and Taz knew what it would be.

Also gently caress I guess I'll give this game another playthrough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Leave Gobbet, give the other folks a shot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Most doctors today use robotic limbs to do surgery with.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

paragon1 posted:

Leave Gobbet Isobel lived there, Racter's new, and Duncan should have something useful to say.

This is my vote as well.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Leave Gobbet.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

rigging is not using the lovely robot arms they got nowadays

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Lone Badger posted:

People today are also using augmented reality on a semi-regular basis. The Shadowrun universe has taken some different paths in tech development, and I'm still a little salty they actually developed wi-fi. That said,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rigging is not using the lovely robot arms they got nowadays

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Leave Duncan. This whole business will just remind the poor sod that he's not a cop anymore.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dareon posted:

Frederick Ka Fai's portrait reads like a Kickstarter backer to me, mostly because of the cat.

Yeah I'm not bothering with pointing them all out, but all the male Ka Fais have kickstarter portraits.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Maximum Law is one of the most annoying, self satisfied, overweening people you know. He's like 20, so that's a big part of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leave gobbet

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

leave Gobbet at home because you'll probably be bringing her everywhere after this as an Adept, whereas this coming mission is one of few areas that Duncan's expertiseis, in theory, relevant.

I was going to suggest ditching Duncan but I can't argue with this logic. Leave Gobbet.

In case anyone was wondering, yes, Felicia Day was a backer and Eos is her character.

habeasdorkus posted:

Maximum Law is one of the most annoying, self satisfied, overweening people you know. He's like 20, so that's a big part of it.

The text says Law is in his LATE twenties, though. Guess he's just one of those guys who never grew up.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 17, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

AceOfFlames posted:

In case anyone was wondering, yes, Felicia Day was a backer and Eos is her character.

Still better than the one in Dragon Age.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

habeasdorkus posted:

He really has no idea what an adorable doofus he is. He thinks he's so cool. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I guess there is a reason why he is alone all the way out here and not in the whaoompa loompa district or whatever they called it with everyone else.

Leave Gobbet... I guess?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Leave Gobbet

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

I guess there is a reason why he is alone all the way out here and not in the whaoompa loompa district or whatever they called it with everyone else.

Leave Gobbet... I guess?

Whampoa, which is an actual Hong Kong neighborhood, btw.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool, I didn't know it was a real place but it retrospect that should have been obvious. I suspect it's a lot greener and nicer than the Shadowrun version.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

paragon1 posted:

Leave Gobbet Isobel lived there, Racter's new, and Duncan should have something useful to say.

This. And it’s a pity we can’t tell Law how ironic his name is considering his affiliation. Or does he know?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every hk district mentioned is real w the exception of heoi itself. aberdeen is the hk district not the australian city

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

every hk district mentioned is real w the exception of heoi itself. aberdeen is the hk district not the australian city

Or the Scottish city, for that matter.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Wait, Law's not a kid? :psyboom:
I can't believe I missed that line of text on every playthrough.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

MelvinBison posted:

Wait, Law's not a kid? :psyboom:
I can't believe I missed that line of text on every playthrough.

Yeah, same. It makes him grate on me even more.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
If SA existed in Shadowrun, Maximum Law would 100% be a goon.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Lotsa people in this thread thinking they're outside the reach of The Law it seems. I'd watch out if I were them; after all you're on his turf right now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Lotsa people in this thread thinking they're outside the reach of The Law it seems. I'd watch out if I were them; after all you're on his turf right now.

there he is

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I legit half-considered registering a MAXIMUM LAW account for this.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Why do people who claim to be the Law always wear face-obscuring headgear? First Judge Dredd, then cowboys with their hats pulled low, now this guy. Geez.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Why do people who claim to be the Law always wear face-obscuring headgear? First Judge Dredd, then cowboys with their hats pulled low, now this guy. Geez.

It’s a symptom of Law-Jaw.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's been a day, and it seems Gobbet will be sitting out the Whampoa trip.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Aberdeen also happens to be the future location of Wuxing’s corporate HQ, placed on the top of a nexus of Dragon Lines on the far side of Hong Kong Island across HK Harbor from where Heoi is in the middle of the Kowloon peninsula. But they’re probably just a AA at this time, just heavily invested in maritime shipping and magical research. There’s a bunch of magical emanations in the neighborhood because of their HQ being located there too.

That housing area and other things in that area is named after an English reading of a neighborhood in Guangzhou (aka Canton) up the Pearl River, currently rendered as Huangpu.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 17, 2021

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I missed it when I played the game myself, but it's a neat little touch that Spider Shen's gender is never specified.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I never met a bigot brave enough to make a thing out of a magical assassin monk's gender identity.
But if there were some I'm sure the bodies will never be found.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Spider Shen is definitely in the running for my favorite character in the game, and gender was not part of said ruling.

I recognize Aberdeen as a district of Hong Kong also featured in the game Sleeping Dogs. Wanchai Market is a common area of Hong Kong referenced in that game and another- Deus Ex. Hong Kong has a very different geographic layout in both those games and this one, so we can’t yet be sure what other common areas will pop up. Any that do, or any references from one game to another, are quite welcome in my opinion.

Here are the districts of Hong Kong I remember from those games-

Sleeping Dogs- North Point, Central (Downtown), Aberdeen, Kennedy Town, Victoria Peak.

Deus Ex- Wanchai Market (I thought this was explicitly referenced in Sleeping Dogs, but looking back I don’t think it was named as such), Canals, Tonnochi Road.

I’m not familiar enough with other games set in Hong Kong to list all their districts. I’ll let someone else do it for this one. It’s still on my to-play list and will probably remain so the duration of this LP (part avoiding spoilers, part packed list).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 18, 2021

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Shen and the robodoc both stand out as what seem like developer’s home game PCs but that just means they have a lot of interesting backstory for essentially item vendors

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Every single one of the vendors has a lot going on. None of the NPCs in Heoi are really throw-away characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There are definitely some interesting people you meet and have a chat with and then never see again.
Quite a bit more realistic than you'd expect in a crpg.