Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.

The_Doctor posted:

I unironically love the Buzzfeed Unsolved Supernatural videos, and I'm sad Ryan and Shane have moved onto their own Youtube network. Hopefully they start working on similar stuff, because their new home is just godawful 'top 5 pizza chains' videos and the like.

Hey, Puppet History, Dish Granted, Homemade, and Too Many Spirits rule! :ghost:

(Top 5 Beatdown is only underwhelming because Ryan is extremely basic but I can’t hate him for that.)

It would be very good if they did more Unsolved. They say they’ll do more Unsolved with Buzzfeed as guests but I imagine Covid has that on hold.

...Or maybe someone is...silencing them? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you have some time to listen to a podcast, this episode is pretty great. This is Love is a podcast about love in many different forms, this particular one is about someone's love of making mysterious monster footprints on a beach in Florida.

The Clearwater Monster

e: or here's an article with pics about the same subject (the podcast is good tho and worth a listen imo)
https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/history/2021/01/05/remember-the-clearwater-monster-its-having-a-moment/

a kitten has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Apr 15, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

Somewhere early in the chupacabra mythos this got posted as a photo of a chupacabra despite looking more like a Boglin:

I always figured it helped serve as as halfway point between the vaguely humanoid original chupacabra and the mangy dogs that usually get associated with it now. If you accept this as the "true" look of the creature I can see how you could justify to yourself how the original witness misinterpreted a quick view of this as the grey-alien-with-spikes thing as they have a few features in common (big almond-shaped eyes, flat nose, three-fingered hands), but also find commonalities with a decaying dog corpse.

I've been trying to look into it and the earliest internet copies of that image I can find are from 2008, although that's not conclusive. Curiously, one of the very earliest images I could find seemed to be from a Japanese magazine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070920195100/http://ryou.blog2.petitmall.jp/blog-date-200703.html

..... which looks like it had the caption チュパカブラ which google translate says is Japanese for "chupacabra" so that doesn't help much!

But I did also find this 1996 webpage about chupacabras which is an amazing internet time capsule: http://www.princeton.edu/~accion/chupa21.html
It collected a bunch of the earliest chupacabra accounts and the descriptions were incredibly varied even back then. Some of them reported that it looked like an ape:

quote:

Nov 19 1995 - 35 times in three months.
Canovanas Puerto Rico
Resident saw it one afternoon in his back yard when it came out of the brush and bit the family dog. "I think it belongs to the monkey family, but it isn't a monkey exactly," he said. ``It ran like a monkey and was about four feet tall, but it didn't have a tail.''

quote:

Thurs Dec 21 3 am
near Guanica, Puerto Rivo
44-year-old Osvaldo Claudio Rosado was washing a car. He was grabbed from behind. He tried to fight off the intruder and saw a black-haired "gorilla" about five feet tall which ran off. Rosado had cuts in his abdomen, possibly torn by fingernails or claws.

One of them describes it as an upright dog creature:

quote:

NW Miami rural area
March 1996
Killed about 40 animals. One woman saw a dog-like figure standing up, with two short hands in the air.

Quite a few reports described it as a bat-like flying creature

quote:

Fri May 3 Sinaloa State, the state below Sonora State.
Dead cows and sheep. The animal(s) is described as 1-1.5 feetand able to take flight.

Fri May 3
Six other states in Mexico Similar attacks have been reported.

poo poo started getting real crazy soon after that:

quote:

Thur May 2
Juarez Mexico
Many small mammels, dogs, etc. have met with this tall "animal"-like being with three toed feet and hands, on haunches with the fore arms suspended at chest level very similar to a kangaroo. It has a row of spikes or straight feather like projections from it's head and down it's back that raise and lower and have been seen to glow with their own light. Has been seen to take off on all fours. The "sucking " device seems to be a tube like projection from the mouth.

quote:

May 9 1996 2 a.m.
Espinoza Family - a front door was opened and a creature was seen 3 to 4 foot high with scaly skin, clawed hands, red eyes, and a row of spines from the skullcap and down the back. The creature "mumbled and gestured".

The mangy coyotes "chupacabras" started at least as far back as 2004: https://www.earthfiles.com/2004/10/14/another-chupacabra-shot-in-texas/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Haaaaa, reading up about Japanese cryptid/UFO/mystery magazines is a real trip, they've been obsessing over this stuff since at least the 70s as well. Looks like their word for cryptids is UMA (Unidentified Mysterious Animals).

Super Mystery Magazine MU had a 40 year anniversary exhibition which included a special UMA/UFO menu, including a bigfoot meal deal:

This UFO dessert design should be familiar to everyone in the thread:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/EdinFortSoc/status/1382672322352545800?s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

We have defeated the beast with butter and apricot jam. Sgt. Cup of Coffee helped out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Don't believe the mainstream media, Tree Shrimps are real!!! :tinfoil:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Log082 posted:

Part of why people buy into the stairs in the woods thing is also that it's posted on a reddit specifically for spooky fiction... that, as part of its board culture, pretends to treat everything like they're real stories.

So even if you find the original source, all of the comments are "That's so crazy! I saw stairs in the woods once and they felt creepy, I'm glad I didn't try climbing them!" and so on.

Yea, and most people who followed the thread were unaware that that subreddit basically an RP spooky story place. I've seen people act like Candle Cove was real, and goon project Marble Hornets as well.

nonathlon posted:

I think that there was a novel that the movie was based in part upon and then the wider legend started up. I have a dim memory of reading it, and being confused when people started saying it was a real story ...

It always showed up in those collections of weird and supernatural stories that we all devoured as a kid, which probably helped put it in a lot of peoples minds that it was something that actually happened.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
My memory wasn't completely off course, Wikipedia has the receipts. The original story is from 1955 but it seems few people believed it. It got picked up by the Fortean literature but really took of when Charles Berlitz wrote an expose in 1978:

quote:

Berlitz's and Moore's account of the story (The Philadelphia Experiment: Project Invisibility) claimed to include factual information, such as transcripts of an interview with a scientist involved in the experiment, but their work has also been criticized for plagiarising key story elements from the novel Thin Air which was published a year earlier.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

nonathlon posted:

My memory wasn't completely off course, Wikipedia has the receipts. The original story is from 1955 but it seems few people believed it. It got picked up by the Fortean literature but really took of when Charles Berlitz wrote an expose in 1978:

Thin Air is a pretty good little thriller, by the way. The co-authors also wrote a "Devil's Triangle" thriller about a WWII sub disappearing in the supposed Devil's Sea near Japan, titled Ghostboat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
On this day in 1561, the skies over Nuremberg were full of aerial phenomena, apparently doing battle. Orbs, cylinders, crosses, and even a large black arrow shape. One of them even crashed to earth outside the city.

It’s a great enduring mystery, because there were potentially thousands of witnesses, and something definitely happened.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That one still bugs me to this day. I know there's a lot that can be covered by meteorological optical phenomena but that never feels like it covers everything. Like, I don't think there was an actual spaceship battle going on or anything, I'm just always driven crazy out of curiosity over what freaked people out.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It could be cloud to cloud lightning viewed through light precipitation. The big object could just be a cloud backlit by said lightning.

Honestly anything plausible that isn’t aliens is more likely of course. Anything with thousands of witnesses that ends in a mystery just assumes that every person was equally confused. I wouldn’t be surprised if literally the entire town saw the same thing and a few dozen were like “holy poo poo wtf”, while the rest thought “clouds are cool goodnight”.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't believe the mainstream media, Tree Shrimps are real!!! :tinfoil:

There's a whole marine arboreal ecosystem that THEY don't want you to know about!! :tinfoil:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Hygiene posted:

That one still bugs me to this day. I know there's a lot that can be covered by meteorological optical phenomena but that never feels like it covers everything. Like, I don't think there was an actual spaceship battle going on or anything, I'm just always driven crazy out of curiosity over what freaked people out.

Yea, unlike say the Battle of Los Angeles which is almost certainly some jumping AA gunner mistaking a cloud or a the moon or a flock of birbs for a wing of Japanese bombers and started blasting, and everyone else started blasting too. Some reports say debris were found, but that was most likely the actual flak that had fallen back to earth.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Captain Hygiene posted:

It is a good one. Ultimately you just have to shrug and wonder. It irritates me when sceptics try to dispose of weird cases like this. Yes, it's almost certainly not aliens / ghosts / bigfoot but what was it?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

nonathlon posted:

It is a good one. Ultimately you just have to shrug and wonder. It irritates me when sceptics try to dispose of weird cases like this. Yes, it's almost certainly not aliens / ghosts / bigfoot but what was it?

Well, an easy way to find out is just to translate the text at the bottom of the woodcut.

Besides obviously not being to scale, the artist’s representation fails to convey various facts - like that the event took place around 4am, and that the image is a composite of various reports from the subsequent hour(s) of people watching the sunrise. The sky was red, and the black shape both appeared afterwards and was pointing in another direction.

The author makes it clear that these are not objects but inscrutable images placed there by God - most of them described as being inside the sun. He also complains that people aren’t taking this seriously. He’s clearly way less concerned with what these spots are than with just urging repentance.

(Imagine that a fuckin spaceship has crashed nearby, and it might literally be an angel sent by God. This is your full report: “yeah, it was doing battle inside the sun. I guess it got tired and hit the ground somewhere? There was some smoke. The end.”)

So picture the scene: it’s fuckin’ dark because it’s basically night-time. The sun starts rising, and it’s unusually red. Sleepy Germans are looking up at the spectacle, and seeing a few glowing red shapes around the sun - like maybe clouds backlit by the red sunrise???

In any case, it seems like most people there did not see these as signs from God, and just shrugged and went on with their lives.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

Gobs of possibilities.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXvnappC-q0

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Gobs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I remember that one now. Close-up meteor bits would be enough to freak me out even knowing what they are.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, an easy way to find out is just to translate the text at the bottom of the woodcut.

Besides obviously not being to scale, the artist’s representation fails to convey various facts - like that the event took place around 4am, and that the image is a composite of various reports from the subsequent hour(s) of people watching the sunrise. The sky was red, and the black shape both appeared afterwards and was pointing in another direction.

The author makes it clear that these are not objects but inscrutable images placed there by God - most of them described as being inside the sun. He also complains that people aren’t taking this seriously. He’s clearly way less concerned with what these spots are than with just urging repentance.

(Imagine that a fuckin spaceship has crashed nearby, and it might literally be an angel sent by God. This is your full report: “yeah, it was doing battle inside the sun. I guess it got tired and hit the ground somewhere? There was some smoke. The end.”)

So picture the scene: it’s fuckin’ dark because it’s basically night-time. The sun starts rising, and it’s unusually red. Sleepy Germans are looking up at the spectacle, and seeing a few glowing red shapes around the sun - like maybe clouds backlit by the red sunrise???

In any case, it seems like most people there did not see these as signs from God, and just shrugged and went on with their lives.
Wikipedia has a translation of the Latin, and the first part really reminds me of a creepypasta with the way everything's blood.

quote:

In the morning of April 14, 1561, at daybreak, between 4 and 5 a.m., a dreadful apparition occurred on the sun, and then this was seen in Nuremberg in the city, before the gates and in the country – by many men and women. At first there appeared in the middle of the sun two blood-red semi-circular arcs, just like the moon in its last quarter. And in the sun, above and below and on both sides, the color was blood, there stood a round ball of partly dull, partly black ferrous color. Likewise there stood on both sides and as a torus about the sun such blood-red ones and other balls in large number, about three in a line and four in a square, also some alone. In between these globes there were visible a few blood-red crosses, between which there were blood-red strips, becoming thicker to the rear and in the front malleable like the rods of reed-grass,

"And then the moon slowly rose back up over the horizon and said 'Ben drowned'!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

"And then the moon slowly rose back up over the horizon and said 'Ben drowned'!"

The blood int the sky was hyperrealistic.

EmperorTigerstar put out a video about Fingerprints of the Gods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ8yyEdJ9_Q
I like how he mentions the Piris Reyes map could be just a weird projection of South America, and not Antarctica. Its funny how you'd hear about that map a lot when in those books of mysteries but they'd never actually show it to you and then later on when you could actually see it you're "wait that's it?". It's not super compelling evidence.

Also I really think using maps from hundreds of years before proper cartography was developed should not be used to base suppositions about secret histories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And how about Atlantis? Where's that? :thunk:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Atlantis was in Bolivia.

It is known.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I haven't heard anything about the Bimini Road in like 25 years, have the crazy people moved on from Atlantis?

Edited to add that I just looked the Bimini Road up on Wikipedia and according to the article Gavin Menzies claims in his book 1421: The Year China Discovered America, that the Chinese explorer Zheng He visited Bimini on a circumnavigation of the world and was responsible for building the structures there. What is it with people always trying to rope in as many mysteries as they can into one grand, overarching theory?

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Apr 17, 2021

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Are they any passable cryptid films? I'm told there has never been a decent Bigfoot horror made, which is a shame. Mothman Prophecies worth a go? B-movies are one thing, but surely someone's had a go at making a good film involving one of these beasties.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chris Pistols posted:

Are they any passable cryptid films? I'm told there has never been a decent Bigfoot horror made, which is a shame. Mothman Prophecies worth a go? B-movies are one thing, but surely someone's had a go at making a good film involving one of these beasties.

There's a wendigo movie coming out at some point called Antlers that I'm very much looking forward to. It was supposed to come out April last year, but things happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aiYxwVuZ1o

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chris Pistols posted:

If aliens will work for you, I really liked Vast of Night. Set up kind of like a Twilight Zone episode and pretty low budget, but well made. As far as cryptid creatures go, i think maybe Willow Creek was reasonably well liked? Possibly? It's a 2013 found footage style bigfoot horror movie.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Willow Creek was written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait? I'm in. That Wendigo film looks good, I'll keep an eye out.

I think aliens have done alright for themselves as far as Hollywood goes; I'm more keen on seeing if there's anything out there for the less popular boys!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Harry and the hendersons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But yeah Willow Creek is pretty good.

I feel like there is a decent amount of cryptid style movies that are worth watching, but taking an existing cryptid is risky because it can potentially come off as real hacky, so I think filmmakers usually just make up their own.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Apr 17, 2021

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Incident at Loch Ness is a found footage horror movie about Werner Herzog making a Loch Ness Monster documentary. I don't think Ive ever seen it streaming anywhere, so when I first heard about it I picked up a cheap dvd on ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaDD9dXkhU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ravenous is about Wendigo, It's not really a cryptid movie but its really good.

The_Doctor posted:

I think he implies that Antarctica is Atlantis, just that Plato was wrong about its location.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chris Pistols posted:

There's Thale (slightly nws trailer):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdZG29tDwwY

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Not a movie, but in the podcast Rude Tales one of the main characters is a sasquatch named Cordelia.

She's by far the best bigfoot character in the entirety of western culture.

https://twitter.com/baph0meat/status/1190712599635210240?s=20

Really the entire cast could qualify as cryptid monsters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chris Pistols posted:

There were a few kids movies in the 80s and 90s made by actual film studios with big name actors and moderate budgets:

Loch Ness monster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90001PVzec

Bigfoot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_SepF-v2k

Mokele-mbembe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6clfYuNIQ

There's dozens and dozens of bigfoot films (that list isn't even complete) but they're mostly lovely cheap horror movies with crappy jumpscares and buckets of blood. There's been a surprising amount of animated kids films recently (Smallfoot, Missing Link, Abominable, Son of Bigfoot) which were pretty meh. There's been a few :airquote:serious:airquote: bigfoot films like Letters From The Big Man (a contemplative movie about a lonely woman slowly forming a distanced friendship with bigfoot) and A Wish For Giants (trying to fulfill a dying kid's Make-A-Wish request to meet bigfoot) which don't sound great.

There's been a few cryptid-adjacent comedy/horror films which are a real mixed bag like Love In The Time Of Monsters and Cabin In The Woods and the aforementioned Pottersville but they're probably straying a little from the topic.

For some reason the best quality cryptid films seem to be those that use fictional/invented cryptids rather than adapting "real" cryptids, like The Descent or the Norwegian film Troll Hunter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM

If we're talking about which cryptid films are the best bang for your buck I'd probably have to recommend the ultra low budget amateur shitfests like Suburban Sasquatch and Leeds Point (a rare Jersey Devil film) because they're loving awful but they're also 100% sincere which means they're goddamn hilarious for all the wrong reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTneBYEeRhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWIxWqVKMo

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Apr 18, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh I should also probably add the bigfoot film produced by Adam Sandler's Happy Madison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKyowLXH8sk

..... and the bigfoot film produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITnAS2lJP4
This one was a super low budget indie/student film that Smith financed while he was making Mallrats back in '95, and which features most of the Mallrats cast and was even made using the same cameras. It was directed by two random Canadian guys. If you want to see Jason Lee go full "Heart of Darkness" in his quest for bigfoot then this is the film for you!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Trollhunter is so good, just great monster movie fun

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

alf_pogs posted:

Trollhunter is so good, just great monster movie fun

Seconding this. They did a great job working in Troll folklore that it felt natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

Seconding this. They did a great job working in Troll folklore that it felt natural.

They also managed to sneak in some political satire. The electrical masts was highly controversial at the time and the clip where the current prime minister said (jokingly) that they were there to fence in the trolls are a real clip.