Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

The 351V OS SD is partitioned in a way that windows doesn’t like. Can someone recommend a decent app to image it, partitions and all? Is that even possible?

Not trying to change it, just back it up for when I inevitable try to do big changes.

I went here:
https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/03/28/rg351v-starter-guide/

And grabbed the clean RG351v image, and used Rufus to write the image to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

The 351V OS SD is partitioned in a way that windows doesn’t like. Can someone recommend a decent app to image it, partitions and all? Is that even possible?

Not trying to change it, just back it up for when I inevitable try to do big changes.

I'd advise pulling out the stock sd1 drive, putting it in a drawer somewhere, and getting a separate sub-$10 sandisk 16g/32g to image with Rufus. Leave the stock SD alone as your backup.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if any of these newer emulator handhelds support Bluetooth audio? I’m so tired of wires, I just want to use my AirPods with everything. I understand there can be a little lag with Bluetooth, but it doesn’t bother me for most games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if any of these newer emulator handhelds support Bluetooth audio? I’m so tired of wires, I just want to use my AirPods with everything. I understand there can be a little lag with Bluetooth, but it doesn’t bother me for most games.

AFAIK no they don’t. You could buy a BT dongle that plugs into the 3.5mm output though. Those are cheap and with Adapt-X there should be minimal lag.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frogbs posted:

You pretty much need a Vita or an android device for that

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Retroid Pocket 2 supports Bluetooth, because it is, in fact, a vita or an android device

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

I've been following the RG Handhelds discord rg351v channel and this actually came up last night. The guy who develops the Retro Arena custom os, slaminger, said he's got BT itself working and pairing, but hasn't sorted out how to actually redirect audio as yet. It's on the todo list, but of course no guarantees until it happens. If it gets resolved, I would think it may get backported to other Anbernic devices. As of yet though, no, it's not working on those.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
PiBoy with an RPI4 has bluetooth, but its kind of a pain to setup.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I have my RG350 running through a digital projector, only messed around with it a bit but it's hilariously cool

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

zzMisc posted:

I've been following the RG Handhelds discord rg351v channel and this actually came up last night. The guy who develops the Retro Arena custom os, slaminger, said he's got BT itself working and pairing, but hasn't sorted out how to actually redirect audio as yet. It's on the todo list, but of course no guarantees until it happens. If it gets resolved, I would think it may get backported to other Anbernic devices. As of yet though, no, it's not working on those.

Good to know! If that happens with the RG351v I might just pick one up. I've already been thinking about it. I currently have an LDK game, and was considering trying a Powkiddy V90 for a slightly more comfortable form factor, but from what I can tell the LDK and Powkiddy are basically the same device but in different shells. It'd be kind of a lateral upgrade. The RG351v might be more comfortable AND possibly support bluetooth, while also being more powerful. So that might be the way to go...

Edit: Have folks been getting their RG351v's straight from Anbernic's website, or is there a more US friendly source? https://www.anbernic.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=70

frogbs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

The RG351v might be more comfortable AND possibly support bluetooth, while also being more powerful. So that might be the way to go...

Worth noting that the rg351v does still have a 3.5mm jack, and if bluetooth does get going it's still unlikely to support low-latency codecs. Just mentioning it because I've ordered a aptx-LL 3.5mm transmitter and headset and plan on using those, regardless of whether BT is ever supported natively. I find audio lag very frustrating while gaming.

I ordered mine straight from Anbernic and it only took a little under a week shipping, but I also sprung for Fedex delivery.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

zzMisc posted:

Worth noting that the rg351v does still have a 3.5mm jack, and if bluetooth does get going it's still unlikely to support low-latency codecs. Just mentioning it because I've ordered a aptx-LL 3.5mm transmitter and headset and plan on using those, regardless of whether BT is ever supported natively. I find audio lag very frustrating while gaming.

I ordered mine straight from Anbernic and it only took a little under a week shipping, but I also sprung for Fedex delivery.

Thanks! I ended up ordering one from their ebay store since it was the same price and it felt less sketchy.

Good call on an external aptx adapter, i'm going to try that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you have an RG350 / RG280 this seems like a really good update

https://youtu.be/XAWvOclDngM

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

Good call on an external aptx adapter, i'm going to try that.

Just a heads up, I got that adapter in today and it's unusable due to a terrible buzzing. I suspect a ground loop isolator would help but that'd be more bulky than I'd like, so for now I'm just gonna wait and hope that one of the custom OSes sort out audio device redirection; the buzzing wouldn't be an issue if a usb-c adapter works.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
A while back, someone had recommended the Powkiddy v90 to me as being in the sweet spot of "cheap as absolute hell" and capable of playing up to PS1 with a proper resolution / aspect ratio.

Is there anything else that competes with it at that range? I know the GBA SP form factor isn't anyone's favorite, but it looks like it could fit in a pocket and I like that it keeps the screen protected. Then again, the point of these things being so cheap is that it isn't quite a big deal if they get lost or broken.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RG280V but that’s a bit more expensive.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

At that price, the only thing it's competing with are those Bluetooth gamepads that clip onto your phone

The v90 really is fantastic once you get custom firmware installed, it's worth it for the snes emulator alone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

retro game corps posted a review of an older anbernic device, the rg300, that makes it sound a lot better than i ever figured it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G50abXEgSHA

general chaos posted:

I know the GBA SP form factor isn't anyone's favorite

it’s my favorite..........

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

general chaos posted:

A while back, someone had recommended the Powkiddy v90 to me as being in the sweet spot of "cheap as absolute hell" and capable of playing up to PS1 with a proper resolution / aspect ratio.

Is there anything else that competes with it at that range? I know the GBA SP form factor isn't anyone's favorite, but it looks like it could fit in a pocket and I like that it keeps the screen protected. Then again, the point of these things being so cheap is that it isn't quite a big deal if they get lost or broken.
While the v90 is one of the best at it's very low price and unique in its form factor, it's not quite powerful enough to earn the "up to PS1" monkier, since it can't handle PS1 that well, and even older systems like NGP or many SNES games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOUnH92L_A

Aspect ratio aside, the new lower price of the PocketGo S30 ($60 + shipping) means it's probably the cheapest system that earns the "up to PS1" monkier now.

https://retrododo.com/pocketgo-s30/

Weedle posted:

retro game corps posted a review of an older anbernic device, the rg300, that makes it sound a lot better than i ever figured it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G50abXEgSHA
It won't handle PS1 though

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"Handle ps1" is fairly vague. Any 2d ps1 title will be fine most likely.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, I'd only use it for rpgs and stuff that isn't graphically intensive. I played all the way through ff7 and symphony of the night, but it could not handle Einhander :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The United States posted:

While the v90 is one of the best at it's very low price and unique in its form factor, it's not quite powerful enough to earn the "up to PS1" monkier, since it can't handle PS1 that well, and even older systems like NGP or many SNES games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOUnH92L_A

Aspect ratio aside, the new lower price of the PocketGo S30 ($60 + shipping) means it's probably the cheapest system that earns the "up to PS1" monkier now.

https://retrododo.com/pocketgo-s30/

It won't handle PS1 though

I'd be all over that one if they added a second stick, 2 sticks(preferably with L3 & R3 functionality), 4 to 6 Face Buttons, and at least 4 Shoulder Buttons are at this point I feel the essential bare minimum for any new retro handheld to have(alongside the basic stuff like a D-Pad, start and select buttons, and various function buttons)

That does remind me, apparently the Powkiddy RGB10 Max apparently came out just yesterday, will be interesting to see how that one pans out

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Weedle posted:

it’s my favorite..........

big same. clamshell forever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

That does remind me, apparently the Powkiddy RGB10 Max apparently came out just yesterday, will be interesting to see how that one pans out

Oh poo poo that might be the first one of these things I actually buy. I like the form factor and it has a big rear end screen with a 480 vertical resolution.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh poo poo that might be the first one of these things I actually buy. I like the form factor and it has a big rear end screen with a 480 vertical resolution.

Definitely wait for reviews. Hopefully it’s good though!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pocket 2 still going strong. Anybody know how to rename games in the Retroid OS? I have this strange problem where PS1 games can be played, but their names all come up as blank.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I ordered a 351p yesterday :toot: I was tempted by the new powkiddy, but there aren’t really any reviews yet and the 351p looks like it will suit my purposes just fine.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Has anyone installed any of the available custom firmwares for the RG351V? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I read that ArkOS or 351Elec is the way to go. I want to try ArkOS since I hear the N64 performance is improved but I am a bit confused as to rather or not it uses the second SD card slot for roms or if I would need to install everything on one.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

pootiebigwang posted:

Has anyone installed any of the available custom firmwares for the RG351V? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I read that ArkOS or 351Elec is the way to go. I want to try ArkOS since I hear the N64 performance is improved but I am a bit confused as to rather or not it uses the second SD card slot for roms or if I would need to install everything on one.

I've gone back and forth between ArkOS and TheRA. I haven't tried 351Elec.

I settled on ArkOS, mainly because it has sleep, and it handles ScummVM better (which is a silly thing to care about on this device, admittedly). But ArkOS mounts the second SD card as /roms2 instead of /roms, which I've found does seem to cause some problems, notably with some Amberports stuff that doesn't seem to path properly. So far I've been able to fix most of these by editing the .sh launch scripts, but I don't know how far into the weeds you really want to get.

TheRA doesn't have a sleep mode at all, which is a killer IMO. I don't know about 351Elec.

TheRA and ArkOS are both still in active development right now, but the ArkOS dev has said he plans to stop continuing once he considers this build final. TheRA dev plans on continuing on forever from the sound of it.

All OS's will use the second card with different filesystem requirements. It'd be a good idea to check which filesystem your OS of choice will need and set up your sd2 in advance. If you're not sure, go with exfat, as they all support it one way or another, albeit reluctantly.

I wouldn't expect most N64+ to be especially enjoyable no matter what OS you use. AFAIK there isn't a whole lot of difference between them, I think they're all running the parallel n64 core in retrorun32. Maybe one of them will be slightly better if they get a standalone emulator going instead of an RA core, but I wouldn't hope for a miracle. PSX on down are great though. I believe ArkOS has added a couple newer cores that don't run well and aren't practical, while TheRA was more focused on getting obscure old systems running.

If you want to keep tabs on updates, ask for help, or find how-tos on various things (like adding the theme downloader to ArkOS), you'll want to be in the anbernic-rg351v channel on the RG Handhelds Discord. I've gotten way too obsessed with this over the past couple weeks.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 24, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

is lzdoom available on anything other than arkos? last i checked it wasn’t but that’s a killer feature. handheld chex quest baby!!!!!!!

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

pootiebigwang posted:

I've got a 351p and I'll strongly recommend 315elec. The emulators come preconfigured for the kind of goofy aspect ratio so you don't have to do any fiddling, it runs lower intensity psx and psp no problem, whole bunch of themes, just a really solid os

And yes you use the second slot for your roms. There should be on labelled internal and one external. The internal one is your OS, and the external one is your roms

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is there an issue with the load times on 351Elec? I saw a few complaints about that online but didn’t know how big a deal it was.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CFox posted:

Is there an issue with the load times on 351Elec? I saw a few complaints about that online but didn’t know how big a deal it was.

I can’t say for the 351v as I don’t have one, but there definitely is a delay on the 351p. It’s a trade-off with having all the settings exposed in EmulationStation rather than having to set them in RetroArch - loading and passing all those settings over to RetroArch when a game loads is the problem.

At the time I compared it, loading Earthbound (SNES) took 5 seconds on arkOS and 17 seconds on 351elec.

I started off running arkOS, switched to 351elec and really liked it overall, but gradually over time the loading delays bugged me enough that I went back to arkOS. Plus at that time (about 6 weeks ago) arkOS got retrorun for a Dreamcast perf boost, I’m not sure if 351elec ever inherited that..

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks. That makes sense but it’s a shame because 15+ seconds to load an SNES game isn’t something want to deal with either. Does ArkOS have good default settings for the games/cores in retro arch or am I going to need to spend some time researching and tweaking at first? Not a big deal either way but my 351v should arrive next week and it’d be nice to be prepared, get it all setup, and get down to playing some games.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CFox posted:

Thanks. That makes sense but it’s a shame because 15+ seconds to load an SNES game isn’t something want to deal with either. Does ArkOS have good default settings for the games/cores in retro arch or am I going to need to spend some time researching and tweaking at first? Not a big deal either way but my 351v should arrive next week and it’d be nice to be prepared, get it all setup, and get down to playing some games.

I guess it depends on your definition of "good" and how picky you are. 351elec's are definitely ideal defaults on the 351p, from memory there are things on arkOS like stretching NES to fill the screen horizontally rather than maintain aspect ratio. It's not much of a stretch, and once it's set up per-system it sticks forever, but it's an extra chore to set up. Also there's a good chance these defaults would all be different on the build for the 351v anyway as it has a different aspect ratio - it might be that arkOS's defaults are closer to ideal there anyway.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

CFox posted:

Does ArkOS have good default settings for the games/cores in retro arch or am I going to need to spend some time researching and tweaking at first?

Yes, the default settings in both ArkOS and TheRA are fine. That said, they both include a "RetroArch" menu with retroarch and retroarch32 without cores in it so you can go in and change default settings to your liking. The only thing you definitely want to change is in Settings, Scaling, Aspect Ratio; I keep that at "Core Provided", for some reason they had that at 3:2 previously, even on the v's 4:3 screen. Other than that it's just a matter of preference. I like to turn on Rewind globally, and turn it off per-core for the later ones that can't handle the performance hit.

If you're familiar with Retroarch at all, the settings should already be familiar to you. If you're not, and you're at all into retro gaming, it's probably time to get familiar at this point.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

zzMisc posted:

I've gone back and forth between ArkOS and TheRA. I haven't tried 351Elec.

I settled on ArkOS, mainly because it has sleep, and it handles ScummVM better (which is a silly thing to care about on this device, admittedly). But ArkOS mounts the second SD card as /roms2 instead of /roms, which I've found does seem to cause some problems, notably with some Amberports stuff that doesn't seem to path properly. So far I've been able to fix most of these by editing the .sh launch scripts, but I don't know how far into the weeds you really want to get.

TheRA doesn't have a sleep mode at all, which is a killer IMO. I don't know about 351Elec.

TheRA and ArkOS are both still in active development right now, but the ArkOS dev has said he plans to stop continuing once he considers this build final. TheRA dev plans on continuing on forever from the sound of it.

All OS's will use the second card with different filesystem requirements. It'd be a good idea to check which filesystem your OS of choice will need and set up your sd2 in advance. If you're not sure, go with exfat, as they all support it one way or another, albeit reluctantly.

I wouldn't expect most N64+ to be especially enjoyable no matter what OS you use. AFAIK there isn't a whole lot of difference between them, I think they're all running the parallel n64 core in retrorun32. Maybe one of them will be slightly better if they get a standalone emulator going instead of an RA core, but I wouldn't hope for a miracle. PSX on down are great though. I believe ArkOS has added a couple newer cores that don't run well and aren't practical, while TheRA was more focused on getting obscure old systems running.

If you want to keep tabs on updates, ask for help, or find how-tos on various things (like adding the theme downloader to ArkOS), you'll want to be in the anbernic-rg351v channel on the RG Handhelds Discord. I've gotten way too obsessed with this over the past couple weeks.

Awesome this is all great info and I appreciate the writeup. Trying to find information on ArkOS for the 351V can be hard so it's helpful to get some first hand knowledge particularly since I am very new to this world. I've already flashed my SD card with ArkOS so it should be ready to go. When it comes to my second SD card I plan on formatting it to exfat. Can I preload the second SD card with my roms so it's ready to go or do I need the 351V so it can create the folder layout? Does that kind of stuff automatically transfer over to the card when ArkOS is loaded onto the 351v? After digging around in that discord I found the answer and there's apparently a script within ArkOS that moves everything over. Glad to see some active discussion happening there so thank you for directing me that way.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 24, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i‘ve fiddled a lot with system & game overrides from within retroarch on arkos and i wouldn’t say it was particularly arduous. certainly not enough to make tripling my game load times worth it. i just used directory overrides to configure each system how i like it and only a handful of games have needed further attention

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Well my 351V got here and it's great but ArkOS wouldn't install once I inserted it into the machine. I'll wait for the official build I suppose. In the meantime 351Elec is nice and the game loading times aren't too obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

CFox posted:

Well my 351V got here and it's great but ArkOS wouldn't install once I inserted it into the machine.

I don't quite understand what this means; you flash the image to your first sd card with an imaging tool (I use Rufus), put it in sd slot 1 with slot 2 empty, then boot from it. The first time you run it, it'll expand the extra partition to fill the card, then reboot to ES. What part of that process failed?