Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Me, on my deathbed: I wish i had taken fewer sick days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cloks posted:

Using your benefits isn't stealing.

The employer taking those sick days away is stealing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TotalLossBrain posted:

The employer taking those sick days away is stealing.

:doh:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

To be fair, I've heard company flaks say out loud that they were looking to find ways to disincentivize people from using all of their sick or vacation days. So I don't think it hurts to repeat that using your benefits is not stealing.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Taking all those banked sick days is basically stealing your payroll for that time. Sounds like you might want to get out now before more fuckery ensues and then they're bankrupt.

When the banked sick days were done away with, I was in a fairly fortunate position, having already burned through all of mine, after blowing out my back. The replacement sick day system isn't terrible, and we get 5 "Whatever" PTO days each year, for things like moving days, funerals, jury duty, etc.
As much as I could go on for days about the dumb poo poo, I have better reasons to stay. I make a lot more than is average for my job title. I am also very good at what I do. The biggest thing though, is that I (mostly) enjoy what I do. That's the Best Job For Me trifecta. Having all 3 of those things means I have a fraction of the problems that the rest of society has with their jobs.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

The Zombie Guy posted:

When the banked sick days were done away with, I was in a fairly fortunate position, having already burned through all of mine, after blowing out my back. The replacement sick day system isn't terrible, and we get 5 "Whatever" PTO days each year, for things like moving days, funerals, jury duty, etc.
As much as I could go on for days about the dumb poo poo, I have better reasons to stay. I make a lot more than is average for my job title. I am also very good at what I do. The biggest thing though, is that I (mostly) enjoy what I do. That's the Best Job For Me trifecta. Having all 3 of those things means I have a fraction of the problems that the rest of society has with their jobs.

Sure, but be careful not to forget that you work for thieves who will steal from you apparently just because they can .

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Japan there is government pressure to take your vacation days and in at least one multi-day sequence so my HR sends very panicky emails starting around august telling people to take a loving 3 day time off and use at least 5 days for the year but preferably all of them.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

How many do you get in Japan?

E: also sick days still infuriate and confuse me. What happens if you run out because you're seriously ill? Do you just get fired? Or is the company showing goodwill and just not paying you?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Three sick days usually.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ya'll work at some companies that remind of the old thread title from the corporate thread title in BFC: I'm quitting to fulfill my dream of not working here

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

You know what's the best combo?
Everyone else is WFH while I need to go in a few hours a week to a completely empty lab. So nice
I really dread everyone else coming back.

It's magical

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

zedprime posted:

Company values are amazing entertainment. This entertainment is the best reason to work for a Fortune 500.

It's fun in medium sized businesses watching them cargo cult something that was inane to start with.
One of previous VPs spent the better part of a week crafting a mission statement for an IT department.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Goals like "Fun is a core value at <companyname>. How have you promoted the concept of fun during a difficult year of lockdown?"

A job talking about fun is like bright colors on a frog, a sure sign that it’s incredibly toxic and you should stay the gently caress away.

I’ve had fun jobs but any job that says “have fun” is guaranteed to be a loving nightmare.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Social distancing is becoming a distant memory in my kitchen. Gone are those heady days leading up to Thanksgiving, when managers were running from station to station, literally begging people to spread out. I saw seven guys crammed into the same twenty square foot area just to put meatloaf on trays this morning. Vaccines were made available to us and I know a lot of us got them, but I can only imagine the insane Facebook anti-vax nonsense that some of these guys have in their brains.

Management is WFH as much as they can get away with, of course.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AHH F/UGH posted:

Three sick days usually.

Goddamn.

I get 14 days sick and 28 days of vacation.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I normally roll my eyes at ice breakers but yesterday my manager's team meeting started out with "zoom meeting bingo" and it was seriously legitimately funny (at least to me)

"Sorry I was on mute"

"Are you sharing your screen?"

"Dog barking in the background" (this is me every time lol)

"Could you repeat the question? I was multi-tasking"

"I don't see the link to the screen share"

and a bunch of others

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Son of Rodney posted:

How many do you get in Japan?

E: also sick days still infuriate and confuse me. What happens if you run out because you're seriously ill? Do you just get fired? Or is the company showing goodwill and just not paying you?

I think the logic is" people get sick, and usually about X days a year, so we'll pay for that, but we can't afford to pay for people to be permanently sick, so there's a limit".

What to do after that limit gets hit is up to the company/laws/union.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn.

I get three sick days at my current US pretty-okay job and that's fine. If I had to use more than three (I've never used a sick day so I don't know) I could just dip into my vacation days, or more likely my boss will just give me the day off and I just won't clock in.

In Japan it was the same. I never used any sick days but for the people who did and needed more, you'd just call and cancel all your poo poo for the day and they just don't pay you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I get a week of paid “whatever” time for sick/personal absences, but I blew through most of it on side effects getting vaccinated. It’s frustrating because my job does two weeks of paid leave for people who get the virus or are a close contact of someone who did, and some people have done that like three times. It’s a good thing they’re doing the leave, but drat guys, can’t spare me three days of PTO to get the vaccine?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn.

I get 10 sick days but you get a warning after 5 used in a rolling 12 month period. First is an oral, then a written, so on and so on.

BUT: My workplace has a system where all discipline wears off and is automatically expunged from your file 12 months after it happens, making it theoretically possible to time sick leave in such a way that I can get an oral warning or a written warning every so often with no further consequences multiple times a year because before you get the next step the sick out from 12 months ago falls off your record.

hosed up colossally? 12 months later never happened.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BitBasher posted:

I get 10 sick days but you get a warning after 5 used in a rolling 12 month period. First is an oral, then a written, so on and so on.

BUT: My workplace has a system where all discipline wears off and is automatically expunged from your file 12 months after it happens, making it theoretically possible to time sick leave in such a way that I can get an oral warning or a written warning every so often with no further consequences multiple times a year because before you get the next step the sick out from 12 months ago falls off your record.

hosed up colossally? 12 months later never happened.

I'm confused. You get 10 sick days in 12 months but you're repremanded for using more than 5 in 12 months?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Volmarias posted:

I'm confused. You get 10 sick days in 12 months but you're repremanded for using more than 5 in 12 months?

:911:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Volmarias posted:

That is my understanding as well. And I can say it is most likely real for them as that is what a place I used to work at used to do as well. We started getting warnings after three and the only way to avoid it was to give a sick notice 48 hours in advance.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I've seen that before and generally it's pretty lax, as in if someone clearly got some kind of serious illness or broke a leg or something then they don't say poo poo if you use all 10 or more. It's only when the same underperforming people are always sick on Friday and Monday with no real justification that the warnings actually start to come out.

Is it weird, deceptive and kind of lame? Yeah. But then again so are the vast majority of people in the world.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

On the subject of corporate values nonsense, the company I work for produced this masterpiece last year. See how long it takes you to work out what we actually do.

https://youtu.be/I8F7GZnERNU

Blockchain!

Picture 20 filth covered sailors being dragged onto the bridge to be made to watch this so we could be inspired by our corporate vision.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mr Teatime posted:

On the subject of corporate values nonsense, the company I work for produced this masterpiece last year. See how long it takes you to work out what we actually do.

Blockchain!

Picture 20 filth covered sailors being dragged onto the bridge to be made to watch this so we could be inspired by our corporate vision.

:stare:

Feels like your corporate office has gotten lost at sea

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lmao, my workplace had also announced we were gonna get into some blockchain bullshit as some sort of rewards program, but they were like "WE CAN'T CALL IT A CRYPTOCURRENCY 'CAUSE THERE'S TAX poo poo AND LAWS INVOLVED WITH THAT."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

We get unlimited sick days but we’re generally shamed if we take any so it’s more of a fake benefit

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

vyst posted:

We get unlimited sick days but we’re generally shamed if we take any so it’s more of a fake benefit

Yeah that’s the trick with unlimited sick time or PTO. They bait you in as if it’s some great benefit but anecdotes from friends tell me they wind up taking less time off than they would if it was a set amount of hours because it’s discouraged.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

We get "unlimited sick days within reason" so about once every forty-five days I just take a sick day. Everyone usually just e-mails the day of and says, "I feel crappy enough that I think I should rest" and nobody questions it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I've got unlimited sick days, but on the basis of "Just don't come in if you're sick, we don't want you giving us germs. If you feel bad enough to not come in you should probably just not work from home either."

Given that your performance reviews are based on what you've done the whole quarter / half / whatever, it's not unreasonable to expect employees to only call out when they're actually sick, since they'll still need to get the work done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tetramin posted:

Yeah that’s the trick with unlimited sick time or PTO. They bait you in as if it’s some great benefit but anecdotes from friends tell me they wind up taking less time off than they would if it was a set amount of hours because it’s discouraged.

Yep, studies have shown people take less PTO/sick time when it’s unlimited for exactly that reason.

I used to work for a place with no sick days. It was a modular home company. They would give you a “perfect attendance” day if you did 90 straight days without being even a minute late once.

Someone in the factory there got norovirus and came in sick because of that. He ended up barfing so hard he poo poo his pants into a toilet that hadn’t been connected (since it was just a box, the house obviously hadn’t been hooked up to the foundation and plumbing at the site). Within the week 180 of the 200 employees ended up missing at least one day.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

Blockchain!

"You may have noticed that we all love to be together"

From that level of vomit inducing brainwashing, I'm guessing - subsidiary of Sea Org?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TheBlackVegetable posted:

"You may have noticed that we all love to be together"

From that level of vomit inducing brainwashing, I'm guessing - subsidiary of Sea Org?

I'm only tangentially aware of who Maersk is, but I think they're legit; one of the largest over-the-ocean shipping companies in the world or something.

I'm also only tangentially aware of who Sea Org is thanks to this forum, but my impression of them is a floating clown show (at best)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Zarin posted:

I'm also only tangentially aware of who Sea Org is thanks to this forum, but my impression of them is a floating clown show (at best)

Pennywise more than Mr Boffo.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Atopian posted:

Pennywise more than Mr Boffo.

Boffo...deez nuts?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just know from being in the navy they’re one of if not the the largest shipping and merchant fleets in the world

Who are they even advertising too? It’s like Siemens or Raytheon making consumer ads, we’re not their customers anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have seen Raytheon ads to the public in local newspapers, but that was because they had a factory in town and wanted to keep everyone on side. Not marketing products, obviously, just the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

I have seen Raytheon ads to the public in local newspapers, but that was because they had a factory in town and wanted to keep everyone on side. Not marketing products, obviously, just the brand.

With all things, it comes down to budgets. If you have a marketing budget and can't possibly spend it on glossy line cards and paid articles in Newsweek, you dump money into dumb poo poo like TV, internet and radio ads. I can still remember when GE's turbine division started running ads about their super awesome gas and steam turbine product lines in front of YouTube videos and being super confused why they would be trying to sell people on things they couldn't afford in a lifetime. Or have any use for.