Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Reaverbot posted:

Vtubers are fun and I like watching pekora kill people in Minecraft with explosives and insidious traps a lot more than watching some boring dude playing escape from tarkov 13 hours a day and only occasionally remembering to actually say anything

Why not watch neither?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think it’s ok to watch the boring dude playing tarkov and the vtuber. Just be chill lol like everyone has different tastes drat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i only watch vtubers who play Tarkov 13 hours a day and only occasionally remember to actually say anything

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 17, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only watch Vtubers because I can pretend they're all a bunch of hologram friends (with each other, I have no idea what any of them are actually doing when the computer is in sleep mode) with each other that play video games because I have to believe that this dystopia we're all trapped in is actually really interesting and cool instead of just being soul and energy draining.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I only watch Vtubers because I can pretend they're all a bunch of hologram friends (with each other, I have no idea what any of them are actually doing when the computer is in sleep mode) with each other that play video games because I have to believe that this dystopia we're all trapped in is actually really interesting and cool instead of just being soul and energy draining.

We’re all friends here

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

The vtuber chat has just unearthed a memory from the star citizen thread of the guy who got to ask CIG a bunch of questions about the game, then edited the video responses so it looked like he'd posed his questions to them dressed in a fursuit with a horribly pitched up voice

this is actually really funny and good, props to that dude

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh hey, a musician I follow did an anime thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vITOjanDv8

Another musician did a not-anime thing. Anime's nowhere near this dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epqYft12nV4

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Yardbomb posted:

lol I forgot all about that

you forgot about it because none of those things happened. the QCS thread was very explicitly not trying to get the threadban overturned, I didn't accuse anyone of conspiring against me, and I wasn't banned for it or anything relating to it

and as long as we're on the subject, jamie, that wasn't a rape joke

I understand you have to take your imaginary victories where you can get them tho

junpei hyde will probably probate this post too but it seems weird to allow this derail where jamie faith publicly obsesses about my posting history then punish me for responding

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

The rape joke is what got you banned from the reddit thread

Also no where did I say you were stalking me.

You'll be shocked to find out that this Eugene person also thinks the survivors of child sexual abuse are losers

Just a nice, wholesome individual with lots of empathy for others in bad situations

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
So, did this thread get posted in another thread or is there some other reason why there is an uptick in that kind of poster stumbling in here?

I thought that this short M. Night Shyamalan appreciation video was pretty good. I'm surprised how much I agree with him despite only genuinely liking 2 Shyamalan movies.
Center Row - "M. Night Shyamalan Deserves Your Respect. Here's Why. [The Director Project]"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtQRapeivc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sarcopenia posted:

So, did this thread get posted in another thread or is there some other reason why there is an uptick in that kind of poster stumbling in here?

yes

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
This is from a few pages back, but I decided I'll give the full context on the AC:Odyssey "gotta have a baby" stuff. I played Odyssey last year and when the segment happened I had to take a break and google wtf was happening and to reaffirm my feelings that this was not okay.

The babymaking happens in the first DLC and the main game is very respectful in allowing you to choose whether to be Alexios or Kassandra and who do you want to or don't want to bone. The DLC was made by a different studio, and it doesn't really add anything new to the game and manages to add confusion to the overall narrative of the series the actual order of assassins won't be founded for another 400 years but apparently an order of not-assassins exist in Persia. It's pretty easy to just skip the whole ordeal.

Okay, so at a certain point in the DLC the main character just decides to settle down and have a baby. The game has so far had little conversations about the topic, but I played my Kassandra as a queer who would never settle down, and the game just promptly ignored all my previous choices and suddenly Kassandra was building a family with a character who I had shown no romantic interest in and who had the personality of a paper bag (can't even remember his name). The dialogue option to say "This is just about securing the family line" or something was added later after the backlash. This doesn't affect anything in the game, and they didn't change the VO line. Also it doesn't really make sense, because (major spoiler for the main game) at this point the main character is immortal and still alive in the modern day

And after this the DLCs main baddie, who I guess is pissed that the game forgot he exists, shows up to kill your partner and steal your baby, because apparently you need a personal stake in the plotline for the third act in a three act play. And after the bads are dead and the baby is saved, the mentor character of the story adopts the baby and goes to Egypt for reasons I guess, and this is never mentioned again.

So in conclusion it's a bad and insensitive DLC. The reason it felt so jarring and caused a backlash was because up to that point the game had been pretty good about things like that. AC:Odyssey is a fun and beautiful game, you should play it but skip the first DLC.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

For a while I thought fallout 4 was kind of bad for sticking the protagonist in a straight relationship with a kid regardless of preferences. But in retrospect that's not an unusual situation for gay people to find themselves in and develop personally from (minus baby most often I think)

The game lets you decide your own path between hunting Kellog or finding your baby. You even have the option to symbolically throw away/sell your wedding ring. When you finally find your son you have no end of options on how to deal with the situation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Katt posted:

For a while I thought fallout 4 was kind of bad for sticking the protagonist in a straight relationship with a kid regardless of preferences. But in retrospect that's not an unusual situation for gay people to find themselves in and develop personally from (minus baby most often I think)

The game lets you decide your own path between hunting Kellog or finding your baby. You even have the option to symbolically throw away/sell your wedding ring. When you finally find your son you have no end of options on how to deal with the situation.

Options like yes, sarcastic yes, or gun. Though given that a bunch of NPCs in that area are essential (he isn't though), gun's not a winning option.
EDIT: I'm wrong, turns out only one character in that area is essential!

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 17, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

and as long as we're on the subject, jamie, that wasn't a rape joke

It 100% was. Like even if you're being incredibly stupid and pedantic (And I know you are) it was a joke about how lying to some one to trick them into having sex with you with false pretenses (Which is rape) isn't really rape (again, which it is), and thus was technically a much less serious issue.

Please just stop posting. Not just here but basically anywhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Options like yes, sarcastic yes, or gun. Though given that a bunch of NPCs in that area are essential (he isn't though), gun's not a winning option.

What annoyed me was the game railroads you along a fixed unbending narrative that you are, in fact, a good and honorable person just trying to find your son.

Even if you've been eating corpses, being a complete rear end in a top hat in your dialogue choices, and shooting innocent people for fun to take their stuff. And eating their corpses.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They left around the time that lowtax was exposed, although I don’t know if that was the reason.

Tbh it feels a lot like what happened to the old webcomic threads, where once someone gets enough momentum going in their work, they often stop posting here on SA because threads here are a constant tempest of drama they don't want to be involved in.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What annoyed me was the game railroads you along a fixed unbending narrative that you are, in fact, a good and honorable person just trying to find your son.

Pretty sure every single dialogue tree related to your son after Codsworth is specifically split between "help me find my son" or "help me get revenge on Kellog."

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Codsworth isn’t the only person you talk to, and a lot of the dialogue options in FO4 are too vague about what you’re selecting. While what you’re talking about IS there in theory, the narrative through-line isn’t; picking angry or sarcastic will likely see you be angrily and sarcastically seeking your son, without much indication that it will be about your son.

I get where you’re coming from comparing it to AC:O, but don’t get caught up defending Fallout’s more benign bad writing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Huh, and here I thought all these posts were still about the Lindsay Ellis stuff (I just watched all of her latest video too), but instead it is just about EVD.

Who still continues to be here for some reason

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

MechaX posted:

Huh, and here I thought all these posts were still about the Lindsay Ellis stuff (I just watched all of her latest video too), but instead it is just about EVD.

Who still continues to be here for some reason

Unless he actually takes back that QCS conceding he’s just an rear end I see no point in speaking to mr “sex fraud doesn't hurt that bad” here. He self owns just by posting.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 17, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a new "post a forum thread and talk about it" thread somewhere on the forums now

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a new "post a forum thread and talk about it" thread somewhere on the forums now

Apparently that's FYAD job. The irony in that statement is so obvious it turns back to funny saying it out loud.

Not that they're necessarily the culprits here.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Broey Deschanel put out another banger, this time about the abuse celebrities face from within their own circles and without, focusing specifically on Britney Spears. I highly recommend watching it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPxktlHjKEU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockit posted:

Apparently that's FYAD job. The irony in that statement is so obvious it turns back to funny saying it out loud.

Not that they're necessarily the culprits here.

Imagine getting chain probated out of FYAD, then running in here to jump on a grenade to prove how cool you are. Except the grenade is a pen full of pigshit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

i am tim! posted:

Codsworth isn’t the only person you talk to, and a lot of the dialogue options in FO4 are too vague about what you’re selecting. While what you’re talking about IS there in theory, the narrative through-line isn’t; picking angry or sarcastic will likely see you be angrily and sarcastically seeking your son, without much indication that it will be about your son.

I get where you’re coming from comparing it to AC:O, but don’t get caught up defending Fallout’s more benign bad writing.

This is blatantly not true.

Just taking some example dialogues between vault 101 and Killing Kellog I found these.

quote:

Mamma Murphy: You're a man out of time. Out of hope. But all's not lost. I can feel... your son's energy. He's alive.

Player response A: I knew it! Please, tell me where he is. I need to find my son.

Player response B: Bullshit! You're trying to play me for a fool.

You can be sarcastic through Pipers entire interview without mentioning your son. With Nick Valentine if you focus the conversation on Kellog it beelines to him.

Then when you find some clues in Kellogs house you encounter dogmeat and you get 2 dialogue branches.

quote:

Player response A: Take me to him, boy. Take me to Shaun...

Player response B: Get Kellogg, boy. Take me to that son of a bitch...

quote:

Rhys: So I can't figure out why you're sticking around. You got what you wanted, so why don't you hit the road?

Player response A: The Brotherhood might be the best chance I'll ever have to find my son.

Player response B: I just want to be left alone.

Pretty sure you can get through the whole game with maybe 2 mentions of your kid once you leave the vault.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FO4's writing felt so bad, like download the mod that actually shows what your options will say and a lot of them are basically the same thing, but worded a little different.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
The worst part was having only four choices; must be stiffening for the writers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cugel posted:

The worst part was having only four choices; must be stiffening for the writers.

Or freeing because it meant having to write less when every option is "Hero Line" "rear end in a top hat Line" "Persuade Nice" "Persuade Rude".

For a game where you only have 4 choices for every encounter your line to line character seems so disconnected from anything they said before if you deviate even a little.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I decided I'll give the full context on the AC:Odyssey "gotta have a baby" stuff. I played Odyssey last year and when the segment happened I had to take a break and google wtf was happening and to reaffirm my feelings that this was not okay.

The babymaking happens in the first DLC and the main game is very respectful in allowing you to choose whether to be Alexios or Kassandra and who do you want to or don't want to bone. The DLC was made by a different studio, and it doesn't really add anything new to the game and manages to add confusion to the overall narrative of the series the actual order of assassins won't be founded for another 400 years but apparently an order of not-assassins exist in Persia. It's pretty easy to just skip the whole ordeal.

Okay, so at a certain point in the DLC the main character just decides to settle down and have a baby. The game has so far had little conversations about the topic, but I played my Kassandra as a queer who would never settle down, and the game just promptly ignored all my previous choices and suddenly Kassandra was building a family with a character who I had shown no romantic interest in and who had the personality of a paper bag (can't even remember his name). The dialogue option to say "This is just about securing the family line" or something was added later after the backlash. This doesn't affect anything in the game, and they didn't change the VO line. Also it doesn't really make sense, because (major spoiler for the main game) at this point the main character is immortal and still alive in the modern day

And after this the DLCs main baddie, who I guess is pissed that the game forgot he exists, shows up to kill your partner and steal your baby, because apparently you need a personal stake in the plotline for the third act in a three act play. And after the bads are dead and the baby is saved, the mentor character of the story adopts the baby and goes to Egypt for reasons I guess, and this is never mentioned again.

So in conclusion it's a bad and insensitive DLC. The reason it felt so jarring and caused a backlash was because up to that point the game had been pretty good about things like that. AC:Odyssey is a fun and beautiful game, you should play it but skip the first DLC.

yeah pretty much. though i think all of odysseys dlc sucked. second addon isnt like offensive or anything. its just up its own rear end about the ISU poo poo and is way way to long and grindy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or freeing because it meant having to write less when every option is "Hero Line" "rear end in a top hat Line" "Persuade Nice" "Persuade Rude".

For a game where you only have 4 choices for every encounter your line to line character seems so disconnected from anything they said before if you deviate even a little.

"Mass Effect did this and everyone loves Mass Effect!" - Someone in Bethesda in 2014-2015

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

FO4 became more fun when I started roleplaying that I was a synth with implanted memories of my son as an experiment by the Institute. Dogmeat was also a synth. I actually wanted to make an essay about it and submit to a conference to see what would happen.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

We’re all friends here
SA is all just incredibly low framerate vtubers who don't have a microphone. My low-framerate avatar is from a flatbed scanner around 2000, so the rigging is limited so far.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tbh it feels a lot like what happened to the old webcomic threads, where once someone gets enough momentum going in their work, they often stop posting here on SA because threads here are a constant tempest of drama they don't want to be involved in.

Besides the lightning rod that being on a forum becomes, I wonder if it's also been influenced by platforms like Patreon - in order for someone to feel "closer access to a creator" being a perk they have to kinda withdraw from the platforms where they're easily accessible. While a lot of folks join a Patreon for the creator's direct sake and don't expect really much more, there are others who have a strong "notice me senpai" desire that can be monetized (Patreon/superchat), and pleb access on SA or elsewhere breaks that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

"Mass Effect did this and everyone loves Mass Effect!" - Someone in Bethesda in 2014-2015

The 4 dialogue options are probably due to a voiced PC creating so much more work on dialogue (also controller support)

Often you don't have as many as 4 because 2 are the same.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also I said it when it came out and I still feel the same way after messing with the game again some recently, I really don't like the voiced protag, one thing is FO4 specific where some of the line reads just sound really weird and others patched together not super well, but also because when you only have Male Voice and Female Voice it kinda takes away from making 'non-standard' characters it always feels like to me, if you're always gonna have plain white guy voice blabbing out your dialogue choices, it makes playing distinct characters feel worse.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SA is a place that people want to be from. Not at.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. though i think all of odysseys dlc sucked. second addon isnt like offensive or anything. its just up its own rear end about the ISU poo poo and is way way to long and grindy.

It kneecaps itself from the start with the premise of it being fictional scenario even within the AC universe. The animus may be a sort of VR system but at least the events it recreates really happened; that was literally just a video game within a video game.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ash Crimson posted:

You'll be shocked to find out that this Eugene person also thinks the survivors of child sexual abuse are losers

Just a nice, wholesome individual with lots of empathy for others in bad situations

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've seen the screenshots. It was incredibly vile but that's par for the course for EVD

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It 100% was. Like even if you're being incredibly stupid and pedantic (And I know you are) it was a joke about how lying to some one to trick them into having sex with you with false pretenses (Which is rape) isn't really rape (again, which it is), and thus was technically a much less serious issue.

Please just stop posting. Not just here but basically anywhere.

:emptyquote:

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

:shrek:
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You were banned from this thread for a reason. Go away

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I regularly get the impression that Bethesda just... does not like Fallout as a setting, but is married to it for brand recognition. Slowly turning the series' most recognisable elements into shambling skin puppets that dance around as the writers continually, viciously ignore any of the themes/plot-threads of the previous games and anything actually interesting they accidentally stumble into of their own make in favour of utterly braindead cliches and gimmicks.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Jamie Faith posted:

You were banned from this thread for a reason. Go away

He'll be back later today to drop his hot takes on the Ellis stuff, just wait