Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I’ve got lust for life with my pumped up kicks
Doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The vast majority of people don't pay any attention to a song beyond its title and chorus, and marketers know this. Every song is just "doot doot doot chorus doot doot doot" to everyone who isn't a true fan or intellectual.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Whenever I hear the song Melt With You, I remember a post on here, from when it was featured in a Hershey's commercial, that said something along the lines of "It's a song about loving, you fucks".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpacePig posted:

Whenever I hear the song Melt With You, I remember a post on here, from when it was featured in a Hershey's commercial, that said something along the lines of "It's a song about loving, you fucks".

i mean it's specifically about loving while an atom bomb falls on you which is kind of an important thing to not mention

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i mean it's specifically about loving while an atom bomb falls on you which is kind of an important thing to not mention

Well since I kissed you, baby, that evening in the park
I lost my hair and eyebrows and my teeth shine in the dark

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

When I grew up I legit thought my ears or brain were broken because the bits of lyrics I could parse were always monkey cheese bonkers.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SpacePig posted:

This is 90% of songs, though. If you disallow every song that's about loving, what's left? :v:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Silver Falcon posted:

This is 90% of songs, though. If you disallow every song that's about loving, what's left? :v:

I looked up the commercial to make sure I was getting the right song, and I forgot about an important part of this: maybe try and use the 10% when you're ostensibly portraying a mother and daughter.
https://youtu.be/RjSu5g600A0

e:

flatluigi posted:

This too is important, and I also forgot it. I'm as bad as these ad executives.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Apr 17, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Silver Falcon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCSSIEUukk

:colbert:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I remember some company using Dust In The Wind to promote their new green car (Nissan Leaf maybe?) because it was so high tech that it left everyone in the dust. I'm convinced the execs who signed off on it got as far as the title and said "yeah, sounds good" because there's no way you could listen to even a few seconds of that song and think it's a crowd pleaser.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Reading around I found out that Pepsi once used 'Brown Sugar'. Amazing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

https://youtu.be/pV4F46N21PA

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ever hear the phrase “sex sells”?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

Ever hear the phrase “sex sells”?

Is that the opposite of in sells?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Reading around I found out that Pepsi once used 'Brown Sugar'. Amazing.

The two worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITdiptTiFyc

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Masterchef UK 2021 had Against All Odds playing while the winner got his trophy, fully instrumental apart from the repeated line 'take a look at me now'. Such a weird choice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/DietCoke/status/1370111646643974150
We're hip, we understand slang :c00lbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's not music but done forget that time Kendall Jenner solved the BLM riots with Pepsi!

https://youtu.be/j9x15lR9VIg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hyperhazard posted:

I remember some company using Dust In The Wind to promote their new green car (Nissan Leaf maybe?) because it was so high tech that it left everyone in the dust. I'm convinced the execs who signed off on it got as far as the title and said "yeah, sounds good" because there's no way you could listen to even a few seconds of that song and think it's a crowd pleaser.

Bad EV ads are traditional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7cgUm7o9k

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ponzicar posted:

The vast majority of people don't pay any attention to a song beyond its title and chorus, and marketers know this. Every song is just "doot doot doot chorus doot doot doot" to everyone who isn't a true fan or intellectual.
And considering how marketers think(which doesn't necessarily have any relationship to how people make buying decisions in reality), they probably figure that the people going 'they used Semicharmed Life in the background of this ad, don't they know it's about meth lmao' are still paying attention to their ad so it's a win.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Haifisch posted:

...they probably figure that the people going 'they used Semicharmed Life in the background of this ad, don't they know it's about meth lmao' are still paying attention to their ad so it's a win.

I still sometimes think of those commercials for the Tigger movie. At least the only lyrics they included were "doot doot doot, doot doo doot doo". All the target audience is going to know about the song is the upbeat, catchy hook.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

I keep seeing this Air BnB ad, heavily featuring a child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QzQlJ-aM6g

Pretty sure Walk on the Wild Side is a song about prostitutes!

Transvestite prostitutes

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I believe they're transgender women, not transvestites, but yeah. Just seemed like a weird choice, but hey, "dumb marketing moves" are often weird choices.

Bringing it up in this thread actually led me to learn that Walk on the Wild Side was about/inspired by Andy Warhol's posse, so hey, learn something new every day. :)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The average pop song (my definition is any song recognized by its performers rather than its writers) is sung by someone whose diction is so poor that the average listener gives up trying and just enjoys the tune.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have no idea what that means but it’s goony as gently caress

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Gleebster's got it out for the goddamn Monkees

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gleebster posted:

The average pop song (my definition is any song recognized by its performers rather than its writers) is sung by someone whose diction is so poor that the average listener gives up trying and just enjoys the tune.
the average gleebster (my definition is a massive dweeb) makes posts with diction so poor that the average reader gives up trying and just flames them

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Stunt_enby posted:

the average gleebster (my definition is a massive dweeb) makes posts with diction so poor that the average reader gives up trying and just flames them

Fine, but you try to unsterstand those pop singers. They're not trained to it, I don't blame them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have never had a problem understanding a pop singer.

Your post on the other hand was gibberish

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

gleebster posted:

i'm glad we've finally determined the oldest person on the forums

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Monkey posted:

Lexus using Nobody Speak.

Mercedes Benz using Bohemian Like You and then cutting the lyrics off after the first line

You got a great car
Yeah, what's wrong with it today?

(instrumental)

I like you I like you
I like you I like you
I like you I like you
I like you I like you

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

gleebster posted:

The only songwriter people know who isn't also a singer themself is Diane Warren.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As a kid, I thought 'Ego Is Not A Dirty Word' was actually about an eagle.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

gleebster posted:

this is the thread where you learn you have an auditory processing disorder

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

subpar anachronism posted:

this is the thread where you learn you have an auditory processing disorder

Is that where you learn that your tax return was wrong because someone ran over it?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Actually, I think this is a reference to their famous ad campaign of women drinking Diet Coke and perving on hunky dudes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/1098492949178929152

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

are you gonna link to where I can buy the sauce or what

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
General Prolapse's Absolute rear end Annihilator