Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Yeahhh :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Good for Tiffany and Ox.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 15, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Oct. 15, 1944)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LazyQ posted:

Also, I just found out one of you ratted me out to a major Finnish comics forum, where some posters were a bit miffed about my blatant copyright violation. Considering this was last September, I don't think we need to hold our breaths waiting for lawyers to contact Jeffrey.
This is disappointing. I hate to think a poster here would do that. I'm sorry if it caused you any trouble.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Pictured: Women falling for him on his right.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set lives large.

The Dinette Set is god who cares.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix has no deeper meaning.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix ties the storylines together.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Medenmath posted:

hell yeah beric

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

This is disappointing. I hate to think a poster here would do that. I'm sorry if it caused you any trouble.

Should clarify that I meant "ratted out" as a joke. They posted about it in seemingly good faith and couple other people jumped in about how posting Mämmilä here is a copyright violation (which, frankly, it is). The tone was such that I wouldn't have been surprised if they had contacted Koivisto about it. I didn't engage and there was no trouble for me.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

hell yeah beric

Beric isn't in the modern strip so I always get worried about when he'll get killed off. :ohdear:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

I'm going to be quite saddened if Beric goes the way of Gawain's squire.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Schwarzwald posted:

He retires to a nice farm upstate...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I desperately want this boomer-rear end 'well obviously his life is HOLLOW and MEANINGLESS if he doesn't have a GOOD WOMAN' mentality to get dunked on by him being gay and/or perfectly happy being single but troubled by something else. I know it won't be, but I want it to.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The aggressively awful "Sara's fantasies" sequence has made the usual insipid feel-good Rex Morgan material feel like a blessed relief.

Writer's mission: Achieved!

This sequence of depicting abstract concepts as physical objects is starting to be worth of Holbrook. And that's not a compliment.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 17, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 11/26-28/42

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

The speculation for some time has been that Batiuk writes his strips a year in advance so that he gets a good long lead time, but also so he can be in the proper mind set (writing Christmas strips around Christmastime, wildfire strips when everybody's dying in wildfires, etc). So he wasn't really ignoring it for a year, because COVID-19 didn't exist yet when he was writing those strips. As for the storyline we're seeing today, a year ago we were just starting to get our minds wrapped around the idea of this whole COVID thing and starting to quarantine, but we didn't yet realize that this would still be such a huge loving problem a year later. Batiuk, like a lot of people, seems to have assumed that COVID would just be a dim memory by now. Remember that weird pandemic thingy that happened? Crazy! Glad that's over!
After the events of September 11, 2001, Batiuk turned on a dime and put it into Winkerbean. And when I say "turned on a dime", I mean it was starting on October 1, and only for 6 days, because there were stories about the pizza joint and marching bands waiting to be told.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Can't help but feel that this is supposed to somehow be a slam on the neighbor, instead of the old woman poo poo-talking a stranger to a stranger.

Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Plot twist: Drew's gay (or otherwise queer), has only recently figured it out, and doesn't know how to tell his dad.

...How about you do not? :mad:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 17, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hope no one feels like I'm stepping on their poo poo but I just ran across my favorite all time Zits gag and it's semi relevant to the current discussion about the strip and I wanted to post it

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Aug 25, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 14-15, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

fondue posted:

B Kliban

A PIE! I'll STEAL it! FLORENCE WILL NEVER KNOW!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:

Haifisch posted:

I desperately want this boomer-rear end 'well obviously his life is HOLLOW and MEANINGLESS if he doesn't have a GOOD WOMAN' mentality to get dunked on by him being gay and/or perfectly happy being single but troubled by something else. I know it won't be, but I want it to.
Yeah I would prefer that too, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be "He needs a woman!"

He and Dawn had a history, but I think she's with that goofy guy and I doubt they're gonna break that up after all the Hugo stuff.

Anyways, that ended like this:

Which led to this:

barf

manero
Jan 30, 2006

ayy, rude

I laughed

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

I don't mind the poor image quality because I'm really enjoying Private Bootsie Goes to War.
On the one hand yes, on the other hand if Bootsie gets shot I'm going to lose 35% of my comic-related enjoyment in this thread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drakyn posted:

On the one hand yes, on the other hand if Bootsie gets shot I'm going to lose 35% of my comic-related enjoyment in this thread.

This is a wartime strip, they ain't killing him.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

How could I forget about "THE BUM BOAT? One of the greatest fictional restaurants.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kavak posted:

This is a wartime strip, they ain't killing him.
You reassure me, but now I'm imagining Bootsie's wake and funeral extended over multiple strips and it's almost worth it. The pallbearers all get broken arms fighting each other over who he owed more money so the coffin has to be dragged to the cemetary; three separate ladies show up who all seem equally convinced they've been Mrs. Bootsie for fifteen years; a general arrives to court martial the deceased for profligate misuse of military supplies; and the priest delivers an unsolicited rant on how that bum always stiffed him at the collection plate.

Then just as they throw the first handful of earth in, Bootsie wakes up with a TERRIBLE hangover.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Aztec posted:

How could I forget about "THE BUM BOAT? One of the greatest fictional restaurants.

Dr. Jeff is eating at the Bum Boat tonight! :dance:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Howard Beale posted:

I don't mind the poor image quality because I'm really enjoying Private Bootsie Goes to War.

The Nazis won't know what hit 'em.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hey a luann strip i like

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

catlord posted:

The Nazis won't know what hit 'em.

:hellyeah:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Drakyn posted:

You reassure me, but now I'm imagining Bootsie's wake and funeral extended over multiple strips and it's almost worth it. The pallbearers all get broken arms fighting each other over who he owed more money so the coffin has to be dragged to the cemetary; three separate ladies show up who all seem equally convinced they've been Mrs. Bootsie for fifteen years; a general arrives to court martial the deceased for profligate misuse of military supplies; and the priest delivers an unsolicited rant on how that bum always stiffed him at the collection plate.
Then just as they throw the first handful of earth in, Bootsie wakes up with a TERRIBLE hangover.
Oh, great. Now the actual strips are going to seem downright boring.

And He Did! (November 1, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 19, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 19, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 3, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 1, 1935)

Mopsy (December 31, 1936)

Dark Laughter (March 3, 1945)

Those Were the Days (October 30, 1952)

That woman is angry.

Wee Pals (July 23, 1965)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slammy posted:

Oh, great. Now the actual strips are going to seem downright boring.

Those Were the Days (October 30, 1952)

That woman is angry.

Yep

Also how dare people demand jokes be funny now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth didn't think this all the way through.

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 16, 1933)

Peanuts (April 19-20, 1974)

Harry Dinke's Delusions of Adequacy

Crankshaft concludes "Isn't it great that COVID is over?" week, which only barely cracks the top five most tone-deaf TomBat stories of the past twelve months.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 16-17, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 18-20, 1936)

Taking a different kind of shortcut tonight with the last of the Toonerville Gap-Pluggers. (December 16 and 18, 1916)

Dok's "Get A Better Agent, Kid" Duck (July 27, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 18, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 24th, 1940

Axa

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Well, that's easy, Pig! It's called " Depression"!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I am a child.

"It's pure BROtein Marky!"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

nishi koichi posted:

is it too much to hope moomin drops snorkmaiden and dates snufkin

:same:

It doesn't even seem like they enjoy being together or anything.

As baffling as this entire thing with Bets is, at least Tiff and the others had fun with their fancy dinner.

LazyQ posted:

Should clarify that I meant "ratted out" as a joke. They posted about it in seemingly good faith and couple other people jumped in about how posting Mämmilä here is a copyright violation (which, frankly, it is). The tone was such that I wouldn't have been surprised if they had contacted Koivisto about it. I didn't engage and there was no trouble for me.

That's great, I'm glad that it didn't cause trouble for you. :)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Bonus: Why the gently caress was goodyear selling tvs and appliances?

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Beric isn't in the modern strip so I always get worried about when he'll get killed off. :ohdear:

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm fond of Beric too, but I'm afraid I don't have good news for you. :(

Prince Valiant

Drakyn posted:

Best fanfic I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse