Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tbh it feels a lot like what happened to the old webcomic threads, where once someone gets enough momentum going in their work, they often stop posting here on SA because threads here are a constant tempest of drama they don't want to be involved in.

This happened with Run Button in Let’s Play as well. Some of it might also be that once someone reaches a certain level of notoriety, people on SA start trying to provoke them and piss them off, making them part of the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cugel posted:

The worst part was having only four choices; must be stiffening for the writers.

Obligatory Emil Pagliarulo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Katt posted:

The 4 dialogue options are probably due to a voiced PC creating so much more work on dialogue (also controller support)

Often you don't have as many as 4 because 2 are the same.

Those are both part of why Mass Effect choices ended up the way they were too. I was being a bit hyperbolic there but really the growing expectation of a totally custom player character that's also voice acted is going to lead to these really restrictive, binary outcomes until AI text reading tech reaches a point that they don't have to pay a half dozen voice actors to read variations on every line of dialog. And then you'll get all the lovely implications that come with that instead.

stillvisions posted:

Besides the lightning rod that being on a forum becomes, I wonder if it's also been influenced by platforms like Patreon - in order for someone to feel "closer access to a creator" being a perk they have to kinda withdraw from the platforms where they're easily accessible. While a lot of folks join a Patreon for the creator's direct sake and don't expect really much more, there are others who have a strong "notice me senpai" desire that can be monetized (Patreon/superchat), and pleb access on SA or elsewhere breaks that.

Yeah I can see that, and most patrons are probably lower key chill fans who are invested enough in the person that they won't get hostile or aggressive and are easier to engage with.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This happened with Run Button in Let’s Play as well. Some of it might also be that once someone reaches a certain level of notoriety, people on SA start trying to provoke them and piss them off, making them part of the drama.

People do like doing that here too. SA's always been in the business of chewing up Internet Famous people and spitting them out.

SteelMentor posted:

I regularly get the impression that Bethesda just... does not like Fallout as a setting, but is married to it for brand recognition. Slowly turning the series' most recognisable elements into shambling skin puppets that dance around as the writers continually, viciously ignore any of the themes/plot-threads of the previous games and anything actually interesting they accidentally stumble into of their own make in favour of utterly braindead cliches and gimmicks.

Pretty much. You can tell Bethesda has Fallout for the same reason Disney has Star Wars: to milk the IP dry with merchandising and making rote games to keep it in the public consciousness every 5-10 years. Like how 3 had to bend backwards for some "good guy" Brotherhood of Steel stuff because their armor is so central to the image of the game series.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Those are both part of why Mass Effect choices ended up the way they were too. I was being a bit hyperbolic there but really the growing expectation of a totally custom player character that's also voice acted is going to lead to these really restrictive, binary outcomes until AI text reading tech reaches a point that they don't have to pay a half dozen voice actors to read variations on every line of dialog. And then you'll get all the lovely implications that come with that instead.

Which is ironic because Bioware has always been doing that "multiple choices but none of them matter" thing. Even with no voiced PC or no voiced characters period.

I remember in the first Dragon Age there was this shape shifting lady you had a mission to kill. Instead of killing her you can make a deal that she just goes away and everyone gets to pretend that she's dead and so the story continues on the same regardless of what you do.

And this is a thing that happens probably 50 times over various bioware titles.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've seen the screenshots. It was incredibly vile but that's par for the course for EVD

:emptyquote:

You were banned from this thread for a reason. Go away

Dudes an oxygen thief, even the peace thread in byob is sick of this scumfuck

Also I'm pretty sure one of the run button members came out as trans in the last year or so

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Katt posted:

I remember in the first Dragon Age there was this shape shifting lady you had a mission to kill. Instead of killing her you can make a deal that she just goes away and everyone gets to pretend that she's dead and so the story continues on the same regardless of what you do.

If you mean the one with the Dalish, you have like four outcomes there, kill her and the werewolves, go and kill the Dalish keeper straight up, convince the Dalish keeper to let up the curse on all of them which like saps him to death and releases the werewolves and puts her at ease or kill all of them. Dragon Age at least felt better about giving you ways to do stuff, even if some of them gave a result like others, FO4 I always felt like everything would turn out almost exactly the same of either choice you often got. That and I'll always be upset that FO4 wastes so many cool setpieces, woah a raider deathmatch ring, they all go hostile when you walk in, a robot race track sounds cool, everyone goes hostile when you're seen, witchcraft museum, one deathclaw and it's otherwise nothing.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 17, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

If you mean the one with the Dalish, you have like four outcomes there, kill her and the werewolves, go and kill the Dalish keeper straight up, convince the Dalish keeper to let up the curse on all of them which like saps him to death and releases the werewolves and puts her at ease or kill all of them. Dragon Age at least felt better about giving you ways to do stuff, even if some of them gave a result like others, FO4 I always felt like everything would turn out almost exactly the same of either choice you often got. That and I'll always be upset that FO4 wastes so many cool setpieces, woah a raider deathmatch ring, they all go hostile when you walk in, a robot race track sounds cool, everyone goes hostile when you're seen, witchcraft museum, one deathclaw and it's otherwise nothing.

nah im pretty sure theyre taking about flemeth, morrigans spooky mom, who appears in the sequels regardless of whether you killed her or not

dragon age sometimes lets your choices actually have effects in later games in the series, but only if said character is essentially a cameo or guest appearance. Alistair and Loghain, for example, have multiple possible end states that drastically change how (and if) they appear in DA2 and Inquisition, but they're only in the game for a span of a single quest chain so it's not the biggest deal (though turning the series into an exercise in keeping Loghain alive far past the point of reason is hilarious)

on the other hand, Anders and Leliana can both die in DAO, but since they're important in later games their deaths are retconned or handwaved (even if the explanation for Leliana's deal is actually kinda interesting)

anyways the biggest issue with DAO's writing was setting up a moral dilemma and then having a slightly harder 3rd option that's unambiguously the best outcome

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

late on the vtuber convo but melissa is a cool nonbinary vtuber who mostly uses their streams as a platform to chat a bit and launch original songs and stuff. i feel like thats an angle that works for a vtuber but would be weird if dream suddenly dropped an album or something. and they got their rig/character redesigned to be more androgynous when they felt a bit more confident being more open about the 'nonbinary' thing, which is again an angle you can only really play with vtubers. like if they were showing their real face theyd have to commit to some kinda haircut change irl and change their makeup or smth but with a rig they can just pay an artist to make a new design thats more androgynous.

so like, theres obvs advantages to teh kinda setup vtubers have, its pretty reasonable people would start doing that sorta thing once the tech became easy to setup and use. feel free to dunk on indivudual ones as much as you want i dont really care, but its weird to act like theres some kinda moral or gendered aspect to the base concept.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

dmboogie posted:

anyways the biggest issue with DAO's writing was setting up a moral dilemma and then having a slightly harder 3rd option that's unambiguously the best outcome

yeah, killing yourself and having Loghain be the only acting grey warden while Alistair is a miserable drunk is just way better than any other option

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 17, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Katt posted:

Which is ironic because Bioware has always been doing that "multiple choices but none of them matter" thing. Even with no voiced PC or no voiced characters period.

And this is a thing that happens probably 50 times over various bioware titles.

I completely disagree

if you have moral choices then they are valid, no matter if the world changes

unless you completely disregard your own character and the story, which would we weird why are you even playing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I completely disagree

if you have moral choices then they are valid, no matter if the world changes

unless you completely disregard your own character and the story, which would we weird why are you even playing

I agree. There is value in having dialogue choices that allow you to roleplay your character in a wide variety of ways even if the everything there isn't going to impact the world in a distinct way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If nothing else the "choose your backstory" function from Inquisition has got to be the most elaborate apology for what a total mess Dragon Age 2 was. I still find Inquisition boring, but that was a huge level of effort to go through to let you tailor all the choices you could have made from Origins and 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

late on the vtuber convo but melissa is a cool nonbinary vtuber who mostly uses their streams as a platform to chat a bit and launch original songs and stuff. i feel like thats an angle that works for a vtuber but would be weird if dream suddenly dropped an album or something. and they got their rig/character redesigned to be more androgynous when they felt a bit more confident being more open about the 'nonbinary' thing, which is again an angle you can only really play with vtubers. like if they were showing their real face theyd have to commit to some kinda haircut change irl and change their makeup or smth but with a rig they can just pay an artist to make a new design thats more androgynous.

so like, theres obvs advantages to teh kinda setup vtubers have, its pretty reasonable people would start doing that sorta thing once the tech became easy to setup and use. feel free to dunk on indivudual ones as much as you want i dont really care, but its weird to act like theres some kinda moral or gendered aspect to the base concept.

Not really a direct reply to you but it's mostly the same topic though.

I'm surprised that I haven't been seeing many people just loving around and making random avatars. Facerig's been out for almost six years now so I'm sure there are alternate programs now.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Katt posted:

For a while I thought fallout 4 was kind of bad for sticking the protagonist in a straight relationship with a kid regardless of preferences. But in retrospect that's not an unusual situation for gay people to find themselves in and develop personally from (minus baby most often I think)

The main issue is never letting you address it dialogue wise due to incredibly limited dialogue options and way too many non-voluntary barks that also characterise you.

Like I'm not against a set character but Fallout 4 half assed it and didn't commit to it enough to be interesting but too much to really make it your own character.

quote:

The game lets you decide your own path between hunting Kellog or finding your baby. You even have the option to symbolically throw away/sell your wedding ring. When you finally find your son you have no end of options on how to deal with the situation.

I mean sort of. The dialogue is very limited.

You can kill and eat him though I guess.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I was playing through Mass Effect 1 and 2 to get my Shepard up to speed for ME3 and loving Tali died in the final mission in ME2 after I assigned her to do the door tech task and I'm like "how the hell are they going to explain this in ME3?"

I don't even know what I did wrong. Last time I played ME2 Tali solved that door just fine. I did her loyalty mission and everything.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I've been through a big ole Dragon Age replay this past bit, honestly I've softened a lot on DA2 after a replay of it. It still has obvious big issues in multiple spots, but playing full "gently caress the chantry and the bad order it's maintained" mage Hawke was a fun time, most of your companions are alright barring parts and unless I somehow snaked through all the dialogue just right, I'm not getting where the "UGH ANDERS ON ME ALL THE TIME" actually came from anymore, I was super on his side, flirted a time or two, let him down on the eventual bigger scene of it, but he still stayed entirely cool with me, was it just "OH NO GAY" from back in the day now I'm wondering? Also made me laugh that I was so good to everyone, that the ONLY person who couldn't reconcile with blowing up the chantry and giving Anders a back pat over it was Sebastian, but he can shut up anyway even if he had some neat bits. I played with a few mods on each of the games as well, but majority just some visual tune ups, the gay mod in 1 and the like, nothing that actually changed too much under the hood. Not finished with Inquisition yet, but boy the skip war table wait mod is great, along with some other little tweaks like that and visual cool things.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 17, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Katt posted:

I was playing through Mass Effect 1 and 2 to get my Shepard up to speed for ME3 and loving Tali died in the final mission in ME2 after I assigned her to do the door tech task and I'm like "how the hell are they going to explain this in ME3?"

I don't even know what I did wrong. Last time I played ME2 Tali solved that door just fine. I did her loyalty mission and everything.

Who led the secondary fire team

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Jose has a video up looking at Dinosaurs, the sitcom conceived by Jim Henson that aired in ABC which was able to get away with examining much heavier subjects than the average network TV show because it was "just a puppet show" and with a cute commercializable character in Baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzN6ls_pzvo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This joke will probably be real good when I finally play Mass Effect when that remaster comes out :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Katt posted:

If you don’t choose Miranda, Jacob, or Garrus to lead the second team the person that went through the vents will die.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Who led the secondary fire team

Garrus or Mordin. One of the two. I don't remember which

I also used Samara as the biotic shield person which worked great. I think Jack works well for that too.

Kibayasu posted:

If you don’t choose Miranda, Jacob, or Garrus to lead the second team the person that went through the vents will die.

I had no idea. I assumed it had to do with how good they were at tech. First time I sent Jacob and he died then I went with Tali and she lived.

Katt fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 17, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Macaluso posted:

This joke will probably be real good when I finally play Mass Effect when that remaster comes out :v:

Miranda's just like a well known super insufferable character in 2, she's a stooge for [group you'll see], she won't shut up about how hard it is being made perfect and blabla while the game goes out of it's way to get her rear end in the shot and so on. The game even makes it really hard to get her killed even on purpose during the big 'suicide mission' deal. :v:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

:laffo:

But tbh making Miranda survive long enough for her to tell tim to gently caress off was almost worth putting up with her bs

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Katt posted:

I also used Samara as the biotic shield person which worked great. I think Jack works well for that too.

She does. Miranda is the trap option for biotics.

Also the dying alien guy will always die in the vents from memory.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's been over a decade why do I remember this poo poo.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bethesda made it canon in fallout that China shot first, because of course they did.

Now im working on making it canon that the canadian praries went turbo communist after wwii and utterly hate the us to this day.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 17, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Katt posted:

I had no idea. I assumed it had to do with how good they were at tech. First time I sent Jacob and he died then I went with Tali and she lived.

If you did choose Miranda, Jacob, or Garrus but they aren’t loyal the door tech will still die.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's been over a decade why do I remember this poo poo.

ME2 was a good time and a lot of people played it during some formative times.

Hell, I still have codes for newgrounds flash games irrevocably buried in my brain.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 17, 2021

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

She does. Miranda is the trap option for biotics.

Well that can't be true because she's perfect and cannot fail.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also man, I feel bad for literally anyone who romanced Jacob, sadly very flat character aside, they did him insanely dirty in 3, especially if you romanced him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Bethesda made it canon in fallout that China shot first, because of course they did.

Now im working on making it canon that the canadian praries went turbo communist after wwii and utterly that us to this day.

About everything regarding the actual world and kickoff of the apocalypse and all that in Fallout couldn't have ever been more lost on Bethsoft.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

About everything regarding the actual world and kickoff of the apocalypse and all that in Fallout couldn't have ever been more lost on Bethsoft.

The woah cool robot meme, but it Todd Howard and Emil Pagliarulo looking at a guy in power armor saying "Greed, xenophobia, and nationalism destroys nations" but they're going "Woah cool apocalypse"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

76 actually has some interesting stuff about labour in pre-war Fallout America. Actually most of the lore stuff in 76 is fun. Too bad about the rest of it.

Emil had moved on after 4 though so that might explain it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Which makes FO4 frustrating because they have a really neat setup for Boston that never really touches on a big point in actual gameplay. Boston didn't take a direct hit and the modern day inhabitants of 2287 Boston aren't actually descendents of Vault Dwellers. There's plenty of computer text and notes about what happened after the bombs fell as the national guard tried and failed to maintain order before the various groups left and then recolonized Boston in the ensuing centuries.

None of the people you talk to in the game itself have anything to say about this potentially interesting setup.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Wtf why did Thane die, his intro has him emerge from a vent, I saw the job involved vents it was clearly made for him :(

Wtf why did everyone die when I let Zaeed lead them, he's a badass mercenary commander with tons of awesome war stories, he's the best guy for the job :(

Every single one of Zaaed's war stories is about how everyone else died and he was the only one to make it out.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Not really a direct reply to you but it's mostly the same topic though.

I'm surprised that I haven't been seeing many people just loving around and making random avatars. Facerig's been out for almost six years now so I'm sure there are alternate programs now.

the answer to this is that they do but tend to be lower profile. there's a Caves of Qud streamer for example who was part of the development team in some capacity I don't remember and streams as a monstrous but friendly looking character from the game, the person behind it is a trans woman iirc.

e: Caelyn Sandel streaming as Grahu Rubufo is who I was thinking of

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone else think it's kind of hosed up that Jacob is the only black companion and that he has a deadbeat dad who ran out on his family and made a sex slave harem and Jacob also runs out (and is the only love interest to do so) on his relationship with Shepard and knocks up another woman?

Or that Jack only gets resolution to her trauma in 2 if you're a man and you press F to cuddle so her mascara smears?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jacob doing that between games is incredibly funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or that Jack only gets resolution to her trauma in 2 if you're a man and you press F to cuddle so her mascara smears?

She seemed to be doing okay at the end of my playthrough and I was playing a female Shephard and didn't romance her. By the third game she'd found a new calling as a teacher at some kind of school for biotic kids if I remember correctly.