Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There is also, as far as I can tell, nothing in the UI that indicates Infrastructure level, what contributes to Infrastructure, and thus how to tell when a building slot is likely to unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
build city dealios and upgrade planetary center thing

yeah, 0.1 is a great scaler for the pop growth bucket and 0.5 is not, obviously this is an instance of benfords law where peeps makin up numbers like 5 a lot and nature and reality makin up numbers likes 1 a lot

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is also, as far as I can tell, nothing in the UI that indicates Infrastructure level, what contributes to Infrastructure, and thus how to tell when a building slot is likely to unlock.

Wait, what is this infrastructure thing you're talking about

You get building slots when you:

1. Build a city district
2. Upgrade the capital building on a planet

afaik

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gort posted:

Wait, what is this infrastructure thing you're talking about

You get building slots when you:

1. Build a city district
2. Upgrade the capital building on a planet

afaik

Paradox themselves stated that Infrastructure is a value increased by several factors including building districts. It’s kinda vague and could probably stand to be better explained!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

skeleton warrior posted:

Hello fellow starfaring race! We have finally decoded your language, and we can now communicate! Based upon what we know, we believe your term for us is "complete and utter dillholes." It is a pleasure to finally meet you!

how do you get such high habitability worlds? did you just get lucky? in my arm of the galaxy i had like. eight planets total

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fur20 posted:

how do you get such high habitability worlds? did you just get lucky? in my arm of the galaxy i had like. eight planets total

They're robots :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If you hover over building districts it says "building slots: +1". If you hover over your colony capital they say "building slots: +x". The rest is various civics and research options, all of which say they unlock a building slot. It would be handy if hovering over a building slot said where all your slots were coming from though.

Completely unrelated, a lithoid empire building a colony ship will stuff it full of rocks even when the actual colonizers are biological. As far as I can tell this has always been the case.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Paradox themselves stated that Infrastructure is a value increased by several factors including building districts. It’s kinda vague and could probably stand to be better explained!

You sure you're not mixing this up with 2.0 (so Apocalypse) dev diaries?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Staltran posted:

You sure you're not mixing this up with 2.0 (so Apocalypse) dev diaries?

It's possible that I just misunderstood them, but they had a dev diary early on in Nemesis' development cycle where they framed Infrastructure much more like a value that you increase, or a statistic, which in light of what we got was kinda confusing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I've basically won my first vanilla game and there are some good things and some bad things:

The good:
Industrial districts are great! I like the interaction with the alloy and civ goods buildings. I'd love to see more stuff like this, such as a research/bureaucrat district, an entertainment/housing district, etc. Ideally buildings would be augments to districts rather than a thing unto themselves, and I hope the game continues to go in that direction.
Planetary automation is actually halfway decent. It still does some silly things in response to deficits, but it's much, much better than it was. Pops auto-resettling is amazing quality of life and something that just kind of happens in the background. I would love an addition to this that would let me automatically siphon pops off to a ringworld or ecumenopolis
The galactic senate has some neat additions, and I like how the custodian/emperor work. It would be nice if the AI were able to compete at all though; my current game had me eclipse the combined might of the rest of the galaxy something like 50 years in. The massive influence gain for the emperor is also quite neat (I have +19/month right now)
Endgame is fast now! Granted, I'm on a tiny galaxy, but it's still speeding along at a nice pace!

The bad:
The AI is still, well, bad. It needs to get a bit of an overhaul on building effective planets and expanding well. The planets are better though!
A lack of content. Yes, mods fix this, but really there should be more cool poo poo happening in the endgame.
Laws take forever and fifteen years to pass. It ends up in a situation where I as the player have been ramming things through and ending votes early and I still haven't had time to go around and implement things like sanctions.
Cost reductions on ships are additive, and the galactic defense force -50% cost stacks additively with the governor and tradition bonus, so ships end up being stupidly cheap to build for that fleet.

Overall, I like the patch and things seem a lot better. I can comfortable toss out quite a few quality of life mods, but I'd love for the game to implement planetary modifiers, more megastructures, etc. I really, really hope they continue to go in the industrial district direction for the game and make more stuff like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if i'm running an egalitarian empire and i conquer a planet with a slave uprising, why doesn't it cancel the effect

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fur20 posted:

if i'm running an egalitarian empire and i conquer a planet with a slave uprising, why doesn't it cancel the effect

Because the witchy lady had Daenerys dead-to-rights in Season 1?

The freedom they're fighting for isn't the one you presume to offer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If they have added auto-resettling did they change Resort worlds so it's possible to build them up without unemployment and/or housing shortages?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fur20 posted:

imagine there's a world war going on and suddenly aliens are landing, gunning down everyone equally

that's what you were doing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fur20 posted:

america_invading_places.txt

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Libluini posted:

imagine there's a world war going on and suddenly aliens are landing, gunning down everyone equally

Honestly, it should pop up an event with how you want to handle the situation going forward, with various options appeasing various pops depending on their ethics, your ethics, your government type, their previous government type, etc.

Ultimately though, it's not like the invaders give much of a poo poo other than making sure everyone has the same strata of goods and then making sure everyone works a job somewhere.

Edit: Of course, 99% of the time I play this game what happens is that my species invades, and then everyone "volunteers" to be uploaded into a robot body with loyalty circuits that mandate happiness. Rebellion problems usually go away right about then.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 17, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Dirk the Average posted:

The bad:
The AI is still, well, bad. It needs to get a bit of an overhaul on building effective planets and expanding well. The planets are better though!
A lack of content. Yes, mods fix this, but really there should be more cool poo poo happening in the endgame.
Laws take forever and fifteen years to pass. It ends up in a situation where I as the player have been ramming things through and ending votes early and I still haven't had time to go around and implement things like sanctions.
Cost reductions on ships are additive, and the galactic defense force -50% cost stacks additively with the governor and tradition bonus, so ships end up being stupidly cheap to build for that fleet.

The sanctions ARE the problem. You have to fight the AI tooth and nail to pass the stuff that's actually useful, unlike sanction which pretty much affect nobody relevant ever.

Edit:

Also Clone Vats are way too expensive for how early you can get them, imo. Like, sure they're strong, but so are Spawning Pools. 30 food per planet is downright ridiculous, jeez. Should been 15 or something like that, imo.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 17, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I'm just getting going on my first Nemesis run and I'm wondering....are the ten building slots they show all you can get on a planet or does it expand once you get to ten?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all you get
its 12

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I don't see how ringworld can exist in the new pop system since it takes so long to be able to build them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all you get
its 12

Well that's kind of disappointing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm currently running a 100,000 day observer game (default settings) via fast_forward. 3.0.1, no necroids, no nemesis.

I'll let you all know how the AIs are doing. If they still totally suck as bad as like, 2.6, not buying nemesis.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't see how ringworld can exist in the new pop system since it takes so long to be able to build them.

Ringworlds are now a total waste, but all the othet megastructures are even more vital than they were before. If you don't beeline Galactic Wonders you're gimping yourself.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

jng2058 posted:

It's honestly enough. The individual buildings are buffed AND you get the ones that add +1/+2 jobs per district. It's MUCH better than the quantity system we had previously.

Also, agreed on Ringworlds. They really do seem like they'd just come to late now.

Unless you borrow pops from other people, that is...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey, LordMune, surely it must be a bug or oversight that lithoid hiveminds with no regular organic pops still have to provide food for the construction and upkeep of the Clone Vats building from the Engineered Evolution ascension perk?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jng2058 posted:

You're saving dozens if not hundreds of building slots by not having to build individual alloy plants, and unlocking additional ones is now very much in your control. It's a steal at twice the price.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's honestly so good to have less building slots to think about. A+ improvement good egg jättebra.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There IS an espionage "overview" as it turns out it's just very stupidly placed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also wow does the Intel system nerf MegaCorps so much, especially crime syndicates.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Also wow does the Intel system nerf MegaCorps so much, especially crime syndicates.

How does it nerf them?

Because my impression is that it's really easy to get an overview of their empire by just having a decent sized spy network (by the way, having a size 100 spy network is basically a GODDAMN SENTRY ARRAY for that empire, you get to see anything from planets to where fleets are etc).

Not to mention them having much more money to spam operations.

But legit, spy networks are stupid. Gather assets whenever you can, they give you permanent max intel/spy network. High enough and you basically get a goddamn maphack. In my earlier game I could see the entire galaxy because of my vast spy network.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

About all I can do is potshots on stations and incite diplomatic incidents against the criminal shitlords that are criming up my empire. It's like shooting airsofts at an F-16.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Libluini posted:

i guess that makes sense but it's weird you don't get an event to handle it, and you have to deal with the fallout of another empire's lovely policies for twenty frickin years

on a two-population relic world

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I have to say I like that the "full on sabotage" spy actions are a ridiculous pain to get I've never even seen them happen :V

It does kind of seem like spy actions need some serious rebalancing, though. Because a lot of them are just sort of useless.

Gather Intel: Happens passively anyway and you're more likely to have Intel than actual Infiltration.
Spark Diplomatic Incident: Haven't seen it do anything useful for it's intended purpose yet, but it does have an option that gives you unity so maybe you can do a cheesy unity farm? Also grants Menace.
Prepare Sleeper Cells: Really, really niche. It could be useful if it wasn't so expensive. Given how it works, you don't really want to switch off a spy network if you can avoid it.
Acquire Asset: Your bread and butter. You want to be doing this as often as possible until you get the blue chip Asset (The one that boosts acquire asset and steal technology). I also use it to "top off" my network to 100 - you will need A LOT of those on difficult opponents such as Machine Intelligences, but there are some better outcomes if you sacrifice the asset.
Smear Campaign: I've used it a bunch and it seemed to nothing whatsoever. Maybe you can break up federations by spamming it? I doubt it though. Grants Menace but isn't worth using over Diplomatic Incident.
Steal Technology: By the time you can do it reliably you're probably already outteching the opposition anyway. Still, it gives you some progress in a random tech and more importantly, the tech card. Since it has a cooldown of 6 years it's worth doing whenever you can.
Sabotage Starbase: Massively overpriced, effect is basically non-existent. You basically lose nothing by just pretending this doesn't exist. Paradox probably just checked a box on a clipboard full of things a spy system ought to have.
Arm Privateers: No idea what this does, I used it once, didn't do anything visible. Since it assume it at least spawns something it's better than Sabotage Starbase.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The sector automation is definitely better, but it's still perfectly capable of building itself into a deficit. The second I unlocked the nanite transmuter, it ran my like +1 into the ground. Once I got to the l cluster and found some more, it overbuilt again. Perhaps different sectors decided simultaneously to build one each or something.

My biggest AI issue now is job assignment. As far as I can tell it always tries to fill up one job type before considering another, so barring manual fiddling, it keeps running me with a food/mineral/energy deficit because it decided I needed some more miners (at +lots) instead of farmers/technicians, because otherwise it wouldn't be 3/3 or whatever. I guess this is also caused by the jobs being assigned at an earlier time and not automatically reconsidered when I build more ships or build an industrial district somewhere else, but favoriting anything and then restoring tends to make it go back to the unbalanced distribution, forcing me to manually turn off some jobs to get an even spread.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Phosphine posted:

The sector automation is definitely better, but it's still perfectly capable of building itself into a deficit. The second I unlocked the nanite transmuter, it ran my like +1 into the ground. Once I got to the l cluster and found some more, it overbuilt again. Perhaps different sectors decided simultaneously to build one each or something.

My biggest AI issue now is job assignment. As far as I can tell it always tries to fill up one job type before considering another, so barring manual fiddling, it keeps running me with a food/mineral/energy deficit because it decided I needed some more miners (at +lots) instead of farmers/technicians, because otherwise it wouldn't be 3/3 or whatever. I guess this is also caused by the jobs being assigned at an earlier time and not automatically reconsidered when I build more ships or build an industrial district somewhere else, but favoriting anything and then restoring tends to make it go back to the unbalanced distribution, forcing me to manually turn off some jobs to get an even spread.

I really do not understand why we can't just assign these jobs ourselves, tbh. Like, having it automatic is fine, but having no option to manually tell your pops "Hey you idiots are literally gonna starve, go work the farms" is really, really dumb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
huh there's a flip side to this apparently. when i captured the homeworld of the enslaved species all their planets got a 20-year BUFF that would have cancelled out the slave rebellion malus

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

I really do not understand why we can't just assign these jobs ourselves, tbh. Like, having it automatic is fine, but having no option to manually tell your pops "Hey you idiots are literally gonna starve, go work the farms" is really, really dumb.
If you want farms filled click the "farms" picture and it will get a little chevron prioritizing them over other worker jobs. You can favourite one for each tier per planet.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

If you want farms filled click the "farms" picture and it will get a little chevron prioritizing them over other worker jobs. You can favourite one for each tier per planet.

I am well aware of how favoriting works, thank you.

It doesn't help when you do that and then you're running out of energy because it yeets 15 Technicians into the farms when I just want 5 in both.

Like yes you can fiddle with restricting jobs but doing so on 10+ planets is a pain the rear end.

And that's not even getting into the maintenance drone micro which is basically REQUIRED for gestlts.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think just an empire-wide selectable weight for jobs would solve this. Sliders perhaps? Default treat the jobs as equal instead of however it does now that causes it to max them one at a time before moving on, let you just set mining at 1.2 the value of farming and for every 10 farmers it allocates it will allocate 12 miners. If one is in deficit and the others are fine, bump it up a step and bam, a couple of the other two will flip, assuming there are jobs. Set globally but applied to every planet in a vacuum is probably the easiest to implement. Automation option to just keep all positive if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's possible that I just misunderstood them, but they had a dev diary early on in Nemesis' development cycle where they framed Infrastructure much more like a value that you increase, or a statistic, which in light of what we got was kinda confusing.

If you want to think of it as a value, then it's just the number of open building slots. But I just opened the dev diary you mentioned and it doesn't say anything about there being an Infrastructure Value, they just refer to "infrastructure" in the vague notion of urbanizing a planet, in opposition to the previous system where for some reason moving a bunch of pops would cause your alloy plants to explode

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 17, 2021