Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hilarious given that FDR and the new deal were essentially what kept liberal capitalism alive and the US from CWII and being either a communist or fascist power going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JustWorldFallacy.JPG

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Bad news folks, the virus has gained sentience and is making propaganda now.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Taerkar posted:

Digging and filling up ditches: Fake Economy
Blowing up foreigners with bombs: Real Economy.
Digging and filling up ditches: Fake Economy
Building tanks that the Army doesn't want to preserve jobs in certain congressional districts: Real Economy

"Wikipedia posted:

By August 2013, Congress had allocated $181 million for buying parts and upgrading Abrams systems to mitigate industrial base risks and sustain development and production capability. Congress and General Dynamics were criticized for redirecting money to keep production lines open and accused of "forcing the Army to buy tanks it didn't need."

In December 2014, Congress again allocated $120 million, against the wishes of the Army, for Abrams upgrades including improving gas mileage by integrating an auxiliary power unit (APU) to decrease idle time fuel consumption and upgrading the tank's sights and sensors.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

If only there were some easy way to never have to hear this again. Oh well.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Grimdude posted:

If only there were some easy way to never have to hear this again. Oh well.

but masks muffle speech which is protected by the frist amendment

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"I'm a special snowflake that was lucky enough to make it up the ladder, so now let me kick that ladder so that you can't follow me up here. You're welcome"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: I have actually had a person say that massive government spending of the new deal did nothing but the even larger massive government spending of WW2 did everything. It is crazy out there sometimes.

Isn't this true but in a :getin: sort of way.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

'Humans: A 300,000 Year History of Densely Populated Urban Centers, Packed Restaurants and Rapid Mass Transit.' by: A Very Smart Person, with an intriguing foreward by Jim Jordan.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 17, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Humans: Dying of smallpox for 300,000 years.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
There's just something about the arrogant/smug tone of conservative memes that hits extra hard. Like they're so goddamn wrong about almost everything but boy do they sure act like condescending geniuses anyway.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Grimdude posted:

There's just something about the arrogant/smug tone of conservative memes that hits extra hard. Like they're so goddamn wrong about almost everything but boy do they sure act like condescending geniuses anyway.

Yeah, it's like proliferation of 'crying with laughter' emojis. It's usually a banal, deeply unfunny and/or offensive 'joke' in the first place, but the implication that the sender is guffawing themselves hoarse, tears streaming down their face, as they share another hilarious macro about how Diane Abbott once messed up some numbers just makes the whole thing much more infuriating.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Conservative's idea of what's funny is pretty brutal. Conservative "comedy" is almost always stereotypes, racist, slapstick or some fish out of water thing combining all three. And, man, is it ever ALWAYS dated.

The idea that something used to be considered funny but no longer is flies in the face of their ideology since anything that was ever good (or perceived that way), is automatically always good and things would be better if poo poo was still that same way.

Basically "change is scary therefore it is bad".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

these dumbasses think not going to the doctor makes you "tough" so dont expect much

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

Conservative's idea of what's funny is pretty brutal. Conservative "comedy" is almost always stereotypes, racist, slapstick or some fish out of water thing combining all three. And, man, is it ever ALWAYS dated.

The idea that something used to be considered funny but no longer is flies in the face of their ideology since anything that was ever good (or perceived that way), is automatically always good and things would be better if poo poo was still that same way.

Conservative comedy centers around punching down.
It's bullying. Find someone/thing/place that differs from what is widely accepted as Normal and ridicule it for being different.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

BiggerBoat posted:

My favourite example of this is the aborted Fox News answer to The Daily Show, The Half Hour News Hour, which had the following recurring sketches:

Wikipedia posted:

• Conspiracy Corner - segments where a guest presents generally accepted information about a topic, and that information is treated as far-fetched by the host, who holds stereotypical left-wing views.
  • Guy White: Closet Conservative — a cartoon featuring a conservative man working in an office in which everyone else is a liberal caricature.
  • Hollywood Helping Humanity — satirical public service announcements featuring actors endorsing dubious causes, such as recycling breast implants. Actors appearing in this sketch include Leyla Milani, Ken Davitian, Ian Ziering, and Lorenzo Lamas.
  • I'm the ACLU — satirical advertisements "boasting" of controversial causes supported by the ACLU.
  • Presidential Addresses — Radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh had a recurring cameo role as the President, with conservative pundit Ann Coulter as his Vice President.

It's as unfunny as it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTwYBWUuZk

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the_steve posted:

Conservative comedy centers around punching down.
It's bullying.

Not always. You can punch down and still be funny if the joke is clever, subverts expectations and hits the timing. Or if just isn't just outright cruel just for the sake of it like "asian people sure talk funny, emiright?" and "man, that sure seems gay". HAHAHAHA.

It's a delicate balance and hard to pull off but I don't think it's enough of an explanation to say that "conservative comedy sucks because it punches down" and I hear that said a lot. I make jokes that "punch down" on rednecks like a motherfucker sometimes. A joke just has to be...I dunno...intelligent I guess...which I think is the larger problem with what we're talking about.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Not gonna lie I'd like to see anal swab drones in the future.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not always. You can punch down and still be funny if the joke is clever, subverts expectations and hits the timing. Or if just isn't just outright cruel just for the sake of it like "asian people sure talk funny, emiright?" and "man, that sure seems gay". HAHAHAHA.

It's a delicate balance and hard to pull off but I don't think it's enough of an explanation to say that "conservative comedy sucks because it punches down" and I hear that said a lot. I make jokes that "punch down" on rednecks like a motherfucker sometimes. A joke just has to be...I dunno...intelligent I guess...which I think is the larger problem with what we're talking about.

A joke needs to be a joke,not cruelty said to a laugh track, basically.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BiggerBoat posted:

Conservatism, especially modern conservatism, is at its root all about things being right the way that they are. Any change to that means that those things were not right but instead were wrong, and they cannot STAND being wrong. So obviously they're still right and you're wrong.

Over time they've become more and more wrong because our views and understanding of numerous matters have changed, so they've got decades (if not centuries of more) of sunk cost fallacies keeping them from changing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Conservatism, especially modern conservatism, is at its root all about things being right the way that they are. Any change to that means that those things were not right but instead were wrong, and they cannot STAND being wrong. So obviously they're still right and you're wrong.

Over time they've become more and more wrong because our views and understanding of numerous matters have changed, so they've got decades (if not centuries of more) of sunk cost fallacies keeping them from changing.

Which is loving weird because all most conservatives I know do is bitch about The Way Things Are.

I guess their argument is basically how things got this way and how much better things were in the past but I promise you that those same conservative minded people bitched about The Way Things Are in the same way back then even when everything was better.

What I'm saying is, conservatives want things the way they way they were back when they bitched about those things being the way the way they were and always want things to be the way they were.

Whew.

It must be exhausting being a conservative. I'm pretty far left overall and even that wears me out. I feel sad a lot but I can't imagine going through life just being MAD all the time.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Back in his daily show days John Oliver did a great bit where he dug into the periods of time the big conservative commentators on Fox were pining for, with people who lived through them. The common thread - those time periods sucked for various reasons, but the fox personalities didn't remember any of that because they were children.

That's what they really want, for the world to be as they understood it when they were children.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ZDHgD9084
TLDR: Conservative comedy sucks because conservatives refuse to do any of the empathizing required to understand what people think and what would make them laugh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 18, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

I believe that the mass shootings are caused by lack of respect and Discipline. What do you expect when people don’t want to work and believe they are entitled to everything. Too many will take unemployment rather than a job. Have you ever heard anyone say they would rather live on unemployment rather than a low paying job? I hear it more and more.

Family is on a roll this weekend.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

What if they shoot you before they say a word or you have a chance to respond? Like how child Tamir Rice got shot for playing with a toy gun in an open carry state? Or philando Castile got shot for his legal concealed carry? Or Breonna Taylor shot in her own home while asleep? Or...

And now I made myself sad :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

What if they shoot you before they say a word or you have a chance to respond? Like how child Tamir Rice got shot for playing with a toy gun in an open carry state? Or philando Castile got shot for his legal concealed carry? Or Breonna Taylor shot in her own home while asleep? Or...

And now I made myself sad :smith:

"People need to understand that if they see a police officer they should immediately lay down on the ground with their hands behind their backs. After all, if they did nothing wrong, they've got nothing to worry about. And they should also not associate with criminals, even if they're related. The important thing to remember is to 100% obey the police even if you believe they're in the wrong. Compliance is key. Now, I have to go buy another gun in case the government tries to oppress me!"

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Kind of weird how the white guy who sped off with cop hanging from his car the other day didn’t get murdered. Looks like lack of compliance is only a death sentence for certain people.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Medullah posted:

quote:

I believe that the mass shootings are caused by lack of respect and Discipline. What do you expect when people don’t want to work and believe they are entitled to everything. Too many will take unemployment rather than a job. Have you ever heard anyone say they would rather live on unemployment rather than a low paying job? I hear it more and more.
Hmm, maybe we shouldn't have jobs where the pay is so low they're not even worth doing :thunk:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Why do they think "resisting arrest" causes the officer to die?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Now get them to do coal, since it's dangerous for miners and plant workers and the general pubic, and isn't even cost-competitive as an energy source.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

jivjov posted:

Why do they think "resisting arrest" causes the officer to die?

Because they need it to be a black/white situation in order to make it easier for them to blame the murder victims and excuse the cops for doing the murdering.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

"People need to understand that if they see a police officer they should immediately lay down on the ground with their hands behind their backs. After all, if they did nothing wrong, they've got nothing to worry about. And they should also not associate with criminals, even if they're related. The important thing to remember is to 100% obey the police even if you believe they're in the wrong. Compliance is key. Now, I have to go buy another gun in case the government tries to oppress me!"

But what if they give conflicting instructions, like one officer says "freeze!" and another says "show your hands!" and another "on the ground now!" :thunk:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DarkHorse posted:

But what if they give conflicting instructions, like one officer says "freeze!" and another says "show your hands!" and another "on the ground now!" :thunk:

Then you shouldn't have been doing whatever it is you were doing to upset them in the first place, even if all you did was "walk down the street while black." :smuggo:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Medullah posted:

"People need to understand that if they see a police officer they should immediately lay down on the ground with their hands behind their backs.

This shouldn't surprise you but there was, in fact, a man who was shot by the police while lying down on the ground, though he had his hands in the air rather than behind his back so I guess that was what he did wrong (the man was Charles Kinsey, he was shot in the leg and he survived).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Twelve by Pies posted:

This shouldn't surprise you but there was, in fact, a man who was shot by the police while lying down on the ground, though he had his hands in the air rather than behind his back so I guess that was what he did wrong (the man was Charles Kinsey, he was shot in the leg and he survived).

The cop was aiming at Kinsey's charge, nonspeaking autistic man Arnaldo Rios Soto, who had run away from his group home and was sitting in the road playing with a toy truck. About half of all people killed by police are disabled; a lot of disabilities such as autism and deafness can make it hard for people to hear, understand, or follow police instructions. So that's one tip for not getting shot by police: don't be disabled!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

I mean....you know that's not what *I* think, right? Just putting on my red hat to reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Reminder that, in this country, law-abiding people need to do this:

just to (hopefully) not get murdered by cops.