Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the show runners had absolutely no idea what they were doing but they hired good professionals initially who all read the books to know what they were supposed to be doing.

once they ran out of books they had no idea what to do and how the vague plot points GRRM had scribbled down are foreshadowed or how they’d work. like, I bet bran on the throne, Sansa ruling the north, Jaime doing a full 360 and running back to Cersei, Danny going nuts and so on were from GRRM and all can be built to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

GoT had an easy layup in front of them and botched it so bad. The only thing the fans wanted to see was like Jon Snow and Dany overthrow Cersei and kill the zombies.

But at some point, GRRM told them the ending his books were working toward, and they went "well it has to end like the books" and just turned the plot 90 degrees to get there. Totally ignore that it's taking him years to write the setup to that ending, and that the characters in the books are so different from the show that they may as well be distinct.

Dany going beserk had been built up for literal decades.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
That show ending the way it did after people had chosen to identify with a white savior was the funniest thing ever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i liked the smirky looking princess she was bangin

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

did all of the spinoff poo poo HBO bought get cancelled?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^they canceled the one they'd picked with Naomi Watts, so now they're going back to the well of like 5 pilots they ordered and I think moving forward with more than one of them.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah in the books

Oh the show, meh, not especially

hobbesmaster posted:

the show runners had absolutely no idea what they were doing but they hired good professionals initially who all read the books to know what they were supposed to be doing.

once they ran out of books they had no idea what to do and how the vague plot points GRRM had scribbled down are foreshadowed or how they’d work. like, I bet bran on the throne, Sansa ruling the north, Jaime doing a full 360 and running back to Cersei, Danny going nuts and so on were from GRRM and all can be built to.

Yeah you can see him going in those directions in the book.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yea

What she did to King's Landing wasn't really even the most brutal thing she did to people she views as appeasers and collaborators during the course of the show

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah in the books

Oh the show, meh, not especially

all the crucifixions were a hint

they spent an entire season establishing she was a lovely, terrible ruler who put her personal politics, friends (and pets!) above the people she was ruling, and it still took everybody by surprise when she "heel turned" and killed a bunch of civilians

Dany was an antihero, we loved her because she was an underdog and people missed her flaws because they were invested in her arc.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Apr 18, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GRR Martin is never finishing those books so the TV show writers should have just ended it how the fans wanted and dared him to do anything about it.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

lumpentroll posted:

:actually: the high sparrow was bernie sanders

All of the bad men are simultaneously Bernie Sanders, their Dad, and that guy that ghosted them who they totally don't think about and was probably a huge sexist..

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-04-16/garland-rescinds-trump-era-restrictions-on-federal-investigations-of-police-departments

top comment on /r/politics is "bOtH sIdEs ArE tHe SaMe"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Oh man yeah this changes everything

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lumpentroll posted:

:actually: the high sparrow was bernie sanders

High sparrow did nothing wrong

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

All those investigations that ended in convictions and reforms lol

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Eggplant Squire posted:

GRR Martin is never finishing those books so the TV show writers should have just ended it how the fans wanted and dared him to do anything about it.

I have seen in this forum, in any number of discussion articles, and just in talking with other people numerous fan-fictions for the 8th season that would have been more logical and satisfying that what we got. Like its not hard to just imagine an ending that would be at least mediocre. Something that at least delivered on all the promises and closed all of the threads from the previous 7 seasons. Season 8 was so bad, that it feels like it couldn't be just from apathy. Like, it seems like it was maliciously, intentionally bad.

My recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen GoT or wants to rewatch it is to stop at the end of season 6. Sure, seasons 4-6 were kind of Meh, but they set up the end game perfectly. Danaerys is victorious in the east, has her army, navy, and dragons, and is coming to Westeros. Cerci has eliminated all of her foes in south, but potentially at grave cost. Sansa has secured power in the North. Brandon knows the secret of Jon Snow. Winter is here and the Night King marches south. Its all set up perfectly. Imagine the final scenario yourself and be happy.

Its kind of like the Matrix. Either pretend there were no sequels or pretend that there was no third movie and fan-fiction yourself a better ending.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol fox crying about inflation you morons that's what you want in capitalism

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There was a very good article I read about how the GoT ending was excellent if you read it that Dany didn't Go Nuts but that's just what monarchy is really like

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gendry should have been king

He even got legitimized by Dany right near the end, making him the only remaining heir of KING Robert! Perfect setup for a twist putting a common-born smith prentice on the throne

Gendry stammers, "B-b-but I don't know HOW to run a kingdom! Isn't there some way we could have the people govern themselves somehow?" Sam looks directly at the camera, "actually I've read a few books discussing the idea..." Iris out on Tormund marrying a bear

This is of course the :decorum: compromise ending since it's too late for the brotherhood without banners to kill all the noblemen but I would have wanted them to make Gendry king too

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the most succ part of the GoT ending is that they stabbed the Global Warning metaphor with the magic sword and it all went away

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

the most succ part of the GoT ending is that they stabbed the Global Warning metaphor with the magic sword and it all went away

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

I guarantee that’s what GRRM is stuck on and hence d&d were left completely on their own.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, it wasn’t just Season 8 but everything since towards the end of Season 5.

Stannis setting his daughter on fire specifically. You could tell they had no idea what to do with the characters or their motivations. That is also when Tyrion started to get progressively more dimwitted.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Apr 18, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sorry about the GoT derail. Good points all around though.

I just thought season 8 was super drawn out, slow, and boring.

I got the metaphor for Obama's drone program though.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Where does the Starbucks fit in

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

Gendry should have been king

He even got legitimized by Dany right near the end, making him the only remaining heir of KING Robert! Perfect setup for a twist putting a common-born smith prentice on the throne

Gendry stammers, "B-b-but I don't know HOW to run a kingdom! Isn't there some way we could have the people govern themselves somehow?" Sam looks directly at the camera, "actually I've read a few books discussing the idea..." Iris out on Tormund marrying a bear

This is of course the :decorum: compromise ending since it's too late for the brotherhood without banners to kill all the noblemen but I would have wanted them to make Gendry king too

Right after the finale Dan Olson tweeted an alternate ending with text displaying the fates of characters that the show never revealed and for Gendry it was something like "Gendry went to Storm's End claiming to be lord of it, he was beaten up and left to die in a ditch by Stannis loyalists"

Fake edit - found it:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1130581319593783296?s=20

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm really struggling to think of another situation where a finale was so bad it retroactively ruined the entire franchise. I had friends who were utterly obsessed superfans, who refuse to even talk about the series any more in disgust over Season 8. Not even out of a sense of betrayal over Daenerys's heel turn - it was more over how absolutely dogshit terrible the entire season was. Every single character was rock loving stupid and nothing they did made any sense. It was a goddamn parade of idiotic nonsense with every single scene being dumber than the last.

every star wars movie after the empire strikes back ruins the franchise in new and exciting ways each time

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I definitely remember nobody giving a single gently caress about game of thrones after the last season. It just disappeared immediately.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hobbesmaster posted:

I guarantee that’s what GRRM is stuck on and hence d&d were left completely on their own.

spoilers fatty: global warming wins

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Il Federale posted:

every star wars movie after the empire strikes back ruins the franchise in new and exciting ways each time

The prequels were good though.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the matrix sequels and the prequels loving rule

shameful to even mention them in the same breath as GoT.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
All of it is bad, just less bad in retrospect. At least with the prequels, Lucas was trying to do something different. It came out third baked but it at least was an attempt.

The third Matrix movie specifically is a blur.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Organ Fiend posted:

I have seen in this forum, in any number of discussion articles, and just in talking with other people numerous fan-fictions for the 8th season that would have been more logical and satisfying that what we got. Like its not hard to just imagine an ending that would be at least mediocre. Something that at least delivered on all the promises and closed all of the threads from the previous 7 seasons. Season 8 was so bad, that it feels like it couldn't be just from apathy. Like, it seems like it was maliciously, intentionally bad.

My recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen GoT or wants to rewatch it is to stop at the end of season 6. Sure, seasons 4-6 were kind of Meh, but they set up the end game perfectly. Danaerys is victorious in the east, has her army, navy, and dragons, and is coming to Westeros. Cerci has eliminated all of her foes in south, but potentially at grave cost. Sansa has secured power in the North. Brandon knows the secret of Jon Snow. Winter is here and the Night King marches south. Its all set up perfectly. Imagine the final scenario yourself and be happy.

Its kind of like the Matrix. Either pretend there were no sequels or pretend that there was no third movie and fan-fiction yourself a better ending.

Yeah I checked out of the show when it started going off what I considered the rails (the affirmationed Stanis setting his daughter on fire being part of that) but I didn't begrudge it or whatever. I did have a bunch of friends that were still invested and it was pretty funny hearing about what a train wreck the last season was.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Apr 18, 2021

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"i drink and know things"-Hillary Clinton

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Peter Daou Zen posted:

"i drink"-Hillary Clinton

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Right after the finale Dan Olson tweeted an alternate ending with text displaying the fates of characters that the show never revealed and for Gendry it was something like "Gendry went to Storm's End claiming to be lord of it, he was beaten up and left to die in a ditch by Stannis loyalists"

Fake edit - found it:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1130581319593783296?s=20

This is what finally canceled those guys for me, gently caress this :mad:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

All of it is bad, just less bad in retrospect. At least with the prequels, Lucas was trying to do something different. It came out third baked but it at least was an attempt.

The third Matrix movie specifically is a blur.

the prequels are actually really funny, it’s unfortunate the sequels don’t even seem to work at that level because the main cast did everything they could with what they were given

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Isn't the uk really weird about defamation and it means you printed true bad things about someone?

yep and deepak is extremely litigious about being called a crank

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Nichael posted:

there will be no opportunity like 2016 or 2020 again for at least eight to twelve years. thanks bernie for really giving it your all!

yep time to hunker down or get out while you still can folks

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

the prequels are actually really funny, it’s unfortunate the sequels don’t even seem to work at that level because the main cast did everything they could with what they were given

Also, Lucas is clearly both an incompetent director and editor. At best should have thrown some ideas down for the script and should have allowed professionals to do the heavy lifting.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Also, Lucas is clearly both an incompetent director and editor. At best should have thrown some ideas down for the script and should have allowed professionals to do the heavy lifting.

he wanted Spielberg, Zemeckis, or Richie Cunningham to direct Phantom Menace but they turned it down so then it was just him and the yes men at Lucasfilm left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
gently caress of all the people Hidetaka Miyazaki had to team up with for Elden Ring is had to be GRRM gently caress it ain’t never comin out