Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I know we talk about this literally all the time, but with their roster size it would be SO EASY to rotate performers in and out. Take a big loss at WM? You're off TV for a few weeks (or maybe you're on Main Event or one of the 700 other shows no one watches) while the winner gets some shine on their own. But no, we have to run every feud back for the next PPV, like Smackdown's numbers would crater even farther without Seth Rollins or Sami.

Shawn Michaels didn't wrestle on TV/PPV for months after the ladder match at Mania X. Likewise Bret after the loss at Mania XII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

Smackdown did below 2M (this will probably get adjusted up slightly) after Wrestlemania.

And most importantly (since of the 4 Networks Smackdown is basically always last in total viewers) they lost the demo to Shark Tank and Blue Bloods. Very funny stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I was trying to hedge on this by being all "eh Apollo gets to embrace his heritage on TV, that's cool, y'know...."

gently caress that. gently caress this. This is a loving cartoon. I hope a loving truck hits Vince and Bruce Pritchard.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"WWE Was Shorthanded For Raw After Mania" according to SRS/Fightful.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I was trying to hedge on this by being all "eh Apollo gets to embrace his heritage on TV, that's cool, y'know...."

gently caress that. gently caress this. This is a loving cartoon. I hope a loving truck hits Vince and Bruce Pritchard.

I love double double E! I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Pylons posted:

They should've just filled the time with long shots of the gigantic piles of money the company protected by cutting talent for budgetary reasons

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That Apollo poo poo is indistinguishable from early 90s WWF.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

is pepsi ok posted:

It has such a Sgt Slaughter Gulf War vibe that I fear we are going to end up in a war in Nigeria.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

they literally renamed the next ppv to Wrestlemania Backlash, it's all just repeating the wrestlemania stuff
In my head canon, calling it "WrestleMania Backlash" is their way of taking ownership of all the criticism of WrestleMania thrown at them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nick Jr. Face posted:

In my head canon, calling it "WrestleMania Backlash" is their way of taking ownership of all the criticism of WrestleMania thrown at them.

hahahaha good catch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hell in a Cell: Minus Five Stars 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

is pepsi ok posted:

Trying to say the guy that we JUST loving SAW on Raw less than a year ago (and then even earlier that that in the Greatest Royal Rumble) is a loving Nigerian Guard or whatever is like.

I don't know if I'm more offended by the racism or insulted by the lovely writing.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

its ok, twitter/reddit keep saying that the gimmick was apollo's idea* so its fine

*citation needed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MJeff posted:

I don't know if I'm more offended by the racism or insulted by the lovely writing.

Why not both?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

"okay apollo you can have a push but only if you become a cumtown character."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s weird to think of them being short-handed when there gotta be like 35 wrestlers just sitting in catering

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
vince: 'you're complaining we don't have enough people around? i'll show you how it REALLY feels! fire a dozen people, now'

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We have x at home meme but it’s wrestlers in catering.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pylons posted:

Dave strongly implied that AJ and Olmos weren't on the show for "other reasons" which this might explain.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

MJeff posted:

Trying to say the guy that we JUST loving SAW on Raw less than a year ago (and then even earlier that that in the Greatest Royal Rumble) is a loving Nigerian Guard or whatever is like.

On Talking Smack, Crews said that he was thrown out of the Nigerian Guard for being too rough and not following orders. Not that that changes anything at all.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

collocation posted:

On Talking Smack, Crews said that he was thrown out of the Nigerian Guard for being too rough and not following orders. Not that that changes anything at all.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/496072540482453504

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dave strongly implied that AJ and Olmos weren't on the show for "other reasons" which this might explain.

Hasn't AJ already had covid recently?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I know we talk about this literally all the time, but with their roster size it would be SO EASY to rotate performers in and out. Take a big loss at WM? You're off TV for a few weeks (or maybe you're on Main Event or one of the 700 other shows no one watches) while the winner gets some shine on their own. But no, we have to run every feud back for the next PPV, like Smackdown's numbers would crater even farther without Seth Rollins or Sami.

I have often had this thought:

You divide the roster up into 3 groups (A, B, C). Groups A and B wrestle on TV, C does house shows, take time off to heal injuries, take time off to work at the PC, etc. After 3 months C rotates in, B rotates out. Then 3 months later B rotates in and rotates out. You just keep doing that, sometimes you might shuffle people into different groups depending, but I always thought something like that would be hugely beneficial.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pylons posted:

Hasn't AJ already had covid recently?

I feel like someone in the WWE will set the world record for most cases of COVID contracted by a single person and AJ seems like a reasonable candidate.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AJ also seems like a guy who will never loving get vaccinated

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Herd Immunity?!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Herd Immunity?!

Don't give Vince ideas for new groups

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The best promos would come out of Booker T though.

The five time, five time! FIVE TIME COVID-19 SURVIVOR! *breathes into an oxygen mask*

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-...y-future-plans/

This article is wild. Chelsea Green got called up by guessing Heyman's email and asking him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It sounds like Heyman already liked her but that is 100% the kind of thing that would endear you to him. :lol:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

The ghost of Roddy Piper needs to haunt commentary every time Apollo comes out to just ruin the gimmick like he did for Tony Atlas before.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
P.Heyman@WWEBooking.yourfired.org

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s a shame we never got the promo about how Apollo turned heel because he went barefoot to the sandal store, but it was closed

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

collocation posted:

Dabba-Kato is wanted for war crimes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pylons posted:

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-...y-future-plans/

This article is wild. Chelsea Green got called up by guessing Heyman's email and asking him.

Called up Dec 2019, but due to miscommunication HHH doesn't officially inform her until April or May 2020
Comes to work constantly and constantly emails ideas despite never being booked, except for the one day she finally doesn't, which is when she's then informed they have a plan for her
Said plan is with Mickie James; they film a match for Raw, it's not used, neither ever gets an explanation for why
Resumes coming to work constantly despite never being booked, sits outside Vince's office once a week for four hours each week for at least another full calendar month trying to discuss the "not being booked" situation
Finally gets the opportunity, pitches fifteen ideas to him in half an hour
Two weeks later gets her SD/main roster TV debut
Breaks her wrist basically immediately
Cycle of not being booked yet coming to work constantly resumes throughout injury, recovery/rehab, and its aftermath
Finally gives up and doesn't come to Mania, a show she likely isn't booked for regardless of her efforts
Fired days later on the one-year anniversary of her husband being fired by them

god loving drat

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lazy like a Fox posted:

This approach also helps with injuries. You have a niggling issue? Well we'll have you lose a feud, you can go away and rest/rehab for a month, somebody else gets a chance to get over, and you get a "welcome back" pop when you return, fit and happy and not burned out, AND with a brand new opponent. Everybody wins.

As opposed to: You're hurt? Well just do the same match that you did last week with the same person but slower and worse. That way you can injure yourself further, neither of you get over, and both of you can get mentally and physically burned out all while fans lose interest in both of you, with nobody to replace either of you, (except for the 23 talented youngsters sitting in catering.)

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
So Ric Flair just showed on the Triller PPV Paul vs Logan being a hypeman/overseeing a Russian slap fight

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1383611719537229829?s=20

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 18, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Digital Jedi posted:

So Ric Flair just showed on the Triller PPV Paul vs Logan being a hypeman/overseeing a Russian slap fight
I understand some of these words but I gotta tell you that's a beautiful sentence

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dave knows
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1383611627665199107?s=20
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1383612617516752901?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Chris James 2 posted:

Called up Dec 2019, but due to miscommunication HHH doesn't officially inform her until April or May 2020
Comes to work constantly and constantly emails ideas despite never being booked, except for the one day she finally doesn't, which is when she's then informed they have a plan for her
Said plan is with Mickie James; they film a match for Raw, it's not used, neither ever gets an explanation for why
Resumes coming to work constantly despite never being booked, sits outside Vince's office once a week for four hours each week for at least another full calendar month trying to discuss the "not being booked" situation
Finally gets the opportunity, pitches fifteen ideas to him in half an hour
Two weeks later gets her SD/main roster TV debut
Breaks her wrist basically immediately
Cycle of not being booked yet coming to work constantly resumes throughout injury, recovery/rehab, and its aftermath
Finally gives up and doesn't come to Mania, a show she likely isn't booked for regardless of her efforts
Fired days later on the one-year anniversary of her husband being fired by them

god loving drat

It bears repeating what an insane working environment it is when the CEO is de facto head of talent, head writer, head booker etc.

You shouldn't wait for the CEO's time, that should be literally impossible for random employees.

collocation posted:

The wint tweet said it better, but in storyline getting a guy who doesn't follow orders is hilariously stupid.