Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how many op eds does WSJ have where they say Costco should pay its people less, or how walmart deciding to give its workers a raise is bad?

also how many decades of Xmas op eds do they have where they say us poors should get on our knees and suck off Scooge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

He isn't one of theirs so they don't like him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hannity was putting forward a strong attempt today to imply that cops making traffic stops reduces murders, as he read off a list of cities and how their traffic stops had dropped by x% and their murder rates had risen by y%.

He also talked about the Adam Toledo shooting a bit, he claims that apparently the evening news on one station edited out the sides of the footage which showed Toledo holding a gun? Then he went "Here's the audio from the body cam of the officer involved in the shooting" and that's when I turned it off since I had no desire to hear audio of a man being murdered.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hannity was putting forward a strong attempt today to imply that cops making traffic stops reduces murders, as he read off a list of cities and how their traffic stops had dropped by x% and their murder rates had risen by y%.

He also talked about the Adam Toledo shooting a bit, he claims that apparently the evening news on one station edited out the sides of the footage which showed Toledo holding a gun? Then he went "Here's the audio from the body cam of the officer involved in the shooting" and that's when I turned it off since I had no desire to hear audio of a man being murdered.

Totally following the rest but I'd just like to say I don't consider a 13 year old a man. That's a child.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah yeah, 13 is definitely still a kid, I forgot about how young he was. So that makes it even worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

alot of chuds are mad that corps make vague sounds of reform or do socially progressive poo poo because it makes their market bigger.

Twelve by Pies posted:

yeah. apperently that was "edited" by hannity. my friend does social work helping people on jobs so he hears alot of sad insane chud poo poo. he messaged me about it today.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

enjoy some top tier conservative comedy:

https://twitter.com/spurtmagoo/status/1383251844495904774

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I feel bad for people who actually think this is funny.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

"women are the third of the size of men" :pedo:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm poisoned by the Internet... are you telling me that's not meant to be a parody of right-wing nonsense?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Babylon Bee is supposed to be a conservative response to the Onion, but hyperbolic versions of conservative bullshit are indistinguishable from what they're already saying.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So the joke here is "Lol, women in the military." Despite the US Military being 14% of the Military. (According to quick Googling)

Like, is women serving still THAT weird of a concept

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

I'm poisoned by the Internet... are you telling me that's not meant to be a parody of right-wing nonsense?

They actually once did a post like this (was AOC being too dumb to tie her shoes) and nobody got it because well...the rest of their output.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Somewhere was talking about why conservative comedy somewhere and for me I think it's "THe Political Point Comes first. The Joke is secondary"

It's also why King of the Hill works. Yes it's very conservative but for Mike Judge, Telling a story with good characters and jokes is the first priority.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

After The War posted:

Babylon Bee is supposed to be a conservative response to the Onion, but hyperbolic versions of conservative bullshit are indistinguishable from what they're already saying.

It was supposed to be the evangelical version of The Onion. It had always been conservative but after the founder sold it, the new owner pretty drastically reduced the religious satire and doubled down on the political satire. He also, apparently, doesn't know that humor is supposed to try to be funny.

BigRed0427 posted:

It's also why King of the Hill works. Yes it's very conservative but for Mike Judge, Telling a story with good characters and jokes is the first priority.

I honestly think King of the Hill worked for the same reason Bob's Burgers does, which is characterization. The Hills and the Belchers are both presented as so fundamentally decent people who so obviously love each other, you can't really help but root for them.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 18, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I remember a few marginally funny self-depreciating religious headlines back when Babylon Bee was new. Like "gosh, aren't we so uptight?" style jokes. Now it's all "attack helicopter" poo poo over and over.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah, I remember a few marginally funny self-depreciating religious headlines back when Babylon Bee was new. Like "gosh, aren't we so uptight?" style jokes. Now it's all "attack helicopter" poo poo over and over.

The Babylon Bee was created by a guy named Adam Ford, who had a webcomic that essentially followed the same trajectory. Lots of "Ha ha, okay, I guess we ARE a little uptight about rock music" strips at first, then it slowly veered into "oh and by the way the proper place of the wife is as a submissive helpmeet, and if you support LGBT rights in any way you are dooming yourself and the ones you claim to love to eternal torment in hell, whoops I forgot to tell a joke!" by the end. Maybe "Evangelical Humor" is just inherently Like That.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

The Babylon Bee was created by a guy named Adam Ford, who had a webcomic that essentially followed the same trajectory. Lots of "Ha ha, okay, I guess we ARE a little uptight about rock music" strips at first, then it slowly veered into "oh and by the way the proper place of the wife is as a submissive helpmeet, and if you support LGBT rights in any way you are dooming yourself and the ones you claim to love to eternal torment in hell, whoops I forgot to tell a joke!" by the end. Maybe "Evangelical Humor" is just inherently Like That.

God, it's like the inverse of Faithmouse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BigRed0427 posted:

So the joke here is "Lol, women in the military." Despite the US Military being 14% of the Military. (According to quick Googling)

That's either extremely wasteful, or extremely efficient.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BigRed0427 posted:

Somewhere was talking about why conservative comedy somewhere and for me I think it's "THe Political Point Comes first. The Joke is secondary"

Probably why The Goode Family didn't work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Norway free tampons to female soldiers was a big issue, then it was revealed that hot cocoa had been free forever. Because apparently that's something that those big, tough soldier men can't do without.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BigRed0427 posted:

I never got King of the Hill as conservative as opposed to having conservative characters. They learn new things, change some of their behavior and generally have arcs where they become better and less uptight/discriminatory people in one way or other. I am not that familiar with it though.

"Conservative" anything art- (or entertainment) related is already doomed to fail because people usually don't want to create the same old things so in a way art is progressive by definition. The best or funniest stories no matter the medium aren't really about upholding the preceding circumstances.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

That's either extremely wasteful, or extremely efficient.

DOH!

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

DarkCrawler posted:

I never got King of the Hill as conservative as opposed to having conservative characters. They learn new things, change some of their behavior and generally have arcs where they become better and less uptight/discriminatory people in one way or other. I am not that familiar with it though.

"Conservative" anything art- (or entertainment) related is already doomed to fail because people usually don't want to create the same old things so in a way art is progressive by definition. The best or funniest stories no matter the medium aren't really about upholding the preceding circumstances.

Uh yeah but look at how many liberal antagonists they have who are lovely caricatures like any college professor appearing on the show.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DarkCrawler posted:

There are a whole lot of King of the Hill episodes where the central conflict is "well-meaning but clueless and obnoxious liberal (or just "person with newfangled ideas") doesn't understand what's really going on and takes issue, then good ol' boy Hank sets 'em straight."

It doesn't line up very well with modern Limbaugh-Hannity style movement conservatism, because what makes the whole thing work is the audience seeing that both sides are basically good people trying to do the right thing. But it's still conservative, because in the end, even though we might laugh a bit at Traditional Values, they're shown as mostly right.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DarkCrawler posted:

King of the Hill and Mike Judge are really good at taking the piss out of liberals. You can do "conservative comedy". I don't like Home Improvement but won't call it complete poo poo and at least I GET why some people think it's funny. People think it's never done but Portlandia, SNL and Christopher Guest movies pull off lampooning liberal stereotypes just fine. I dont think succesful comedy has as much to do with punching down as people say so much as simply avoiding cruelty for just the sake of being mean. poo poo just has to be clever and FUNNY in ways that shine light on things we don't expect or haven't viewed from a certain angle.

But conservatives aren't smart, are cruel and are rarely clever so they're mostly not funny.

Anyone heard anything about whoever is filling in for Rush? It must be hard for a lot of these types not knowing where to get their marching orders from or being told what to think about things. I guess Hannity is the next tier down for that sort of poo poo but, while he has the rhetoric down, he doesn't have Rush's talent or skill. The right really doesn't have anyone as good as Limbaugh was or with anything close to his skill set.

What a shame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it was Dan Bongino?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone heard anything about whoever is filling in for Rush? It must be hard for a lot of these types not knowing where to get their marching orders from or being told what to think about things. I guess Hannity is the next tier down for that sort of poo poo but, while he has the rhetoric down, he doesn't have Rush's talent or skill. The right really doesn't have anyone as good as Limbaugh was or with anything close to his skill set.

What a shame.

my friend helps folks with disibilities find and keep jobs. one of those duties is standing around at there work and most of the jobs have conservative radio on. he says its either hannity or morons trying to be rush OR old "best of rush" poo poo. also they sell tons and tons of stupid "lifestyle" poo poo to chud boomers like the patriot phone or some poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Gopher posted:

There are a whole lot of King of the Hill episodes where the central conflict is "well-meaning but clueless and obnoxious liberal (or just "person with newfangled ideas") doesn't understand what's really going on and takes issue, then good ol' boy Hank sets 'em straight."
Yeah, KoH is a weird mishmash.

One episode, Peggy thinks she's found some native artifacts and, consulting with the local CC professor, ends up getting a whole excavation site happening in Hank's yard (killing his grass).
There's some stuff with John Redcorn, but the brunt of the episode is the cool smart professor And Peggy vs big dumb hick Hank. The professor reveals that he's using Peggy's overinflated ego to further his own goals, Hank pushes him into the dig pit repeatedly. Common sense triumphs over smarmy academia.

Or the one where Bobby gets recruited to be a plus size child model to Hank's horror. He's eventually selected to headline a big local showcase. Hank pulls him at the last minute, and shortly afterwards some teens bombard the models with donuts in an act of sheer malice.
On the ride home it's basically "Wow, thanks dad", and it's a weird reinforcement of :don't do stuff like that because it's weird and weirdos will hate you for it".

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

He took on the Cumulus stations, so a few dozen stations maybe. IHeartRadio is chugging along with its half Rush show where fill ins try to keep it current.

Many major markets seem to be dropping Rush for local shows, so less talented hosts spewing the BS instead.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/MerkinMuffley5/status/1383237970203873280

i know conservatives should pretty much never be given the benefit of the doubt, but is there a good faith argument for how conservatives may know someone is an affirmative action beneficiary?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

No, they assume that AA means unqualified people get put into these spots but they still must reach the same standards as anyone else (unlike legacy students who buy their way into school like this guys kids will do).

They do this anytime a minority gets the ability to be put into a position that they normally hold.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

No, they assume that AA means unqualified people get put into these spots but they still must reach the same standards as anyone else (unlike legacy students who buy their way into school like this guys kids will do).

They do this anytime a minority gets the ability to be put into a position that they normally hold.

so how do they rationalize minority tokens like clarence thomas, ben carson, douglass murray, ron desantis, etc.?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

so how do they rationalize minority tokens like clarence thomas, ben carson, douglass murray, ron desantis, etc.?

What sort of.minority tokens are Murray and DeSantis? Scottish and idiot, respectively?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

“Those guys worked extremely hard to get there and no one gave them a free ride…also, they all support pulling the ladder up after them so that matters the most.”

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Epicurius posted:

What sort of.minority tokens are Murray and DeSantis? Scottish and idiot, respectively?

desantis is hispanic and murray is gay apparently (just recently found out about this one)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone heard anything about whoever is filling in for Rush?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dan Bongino just replaced Rush's show on some radio stations. He didn't actually take over Limbaugh's show.

Currently Rush Limbaugh's show has a few rotating guest hosts. The ones I know are Brett Winterble, Todd Herman, Ken Matthews, and Mark Steyn. There's probably a couple of others but those are the most common ones. Kathryn Limbaugh (Rush's wife) also shows up to co-host sometimes since it's pretty clear she's desperate to keep his grift train running so she can profit. Hell they're still running ads to try and get people to subscribe to Rush 24/7, where you can hear audio clips of Rush saying some stuff that might sorta be relevant to current events, maybe!

I'm actually really interested to see how long they can keep Rush's show going in this weird zombie format. It clearly isn't working, because the guest hosts are less talented than Rush, they're just playing clips that anyone who has been a long time listener to Rush has already heard, and stations are dropping Rush's show so people have something fresh and new to listen to instead of hearing Rush go off about Bill Clinton's impeachment.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

desantis is hispanic and murray is gay apparently (just recently found out about this one)

DeSantis isn't Hispanic. He's Italian.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

What a shame.

I still say they could get a lot of mileage out of speech synthesis AI trained on recordings of his voice hooked up to a makarov chain generator trained on Rush's transcripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4381kcfJ1gU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dan Bongino just replaced Rush's show on some radio stations. He didn't actually take over Limbaugh's show.
Ah OK, I was under the impression that he was the replacement