Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Actual serious answer: Zemo probably had Sam's measurements taken for his Smiling Tiger getup.

Well that's going to spare us the MCU's most awkward conversation.

"You asked the Wakandans to make me a suit."
"Yeah."
"How did they know which side I dress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Azhais posted:

I'm sure everyone kicked out by the GRC is mad at them and everyone that got their homes back have a pretty favorable opinion. They probably have pretty solid support from the haves.

It comes down to the have's and have not's.

Something we all know too well in the world.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Azhais posted:

Clint just murdered all the cartels to solve that problem

Ah yeah.

But let us not forget all the cartel and corrupted politician assholes that got blipped returned. So if that happened in RL it would probably be a huge mess of violence.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Just watching Winter Soldier again, and in the fight with Steve and Natasha (the choreography on that is still... wow), Natasha disables Bucky's arm. After it comes back online, he does the same little arm-swing motion he does after Oyo disables his new arm - which I thought was a nice little throwback/piece of visual storytelling

Also seriously, give Sebastian more knife scenes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I missed Bucky trying his sweet knife moves on the paint scraper, and I really hope Marvel continues down the path of Bucky being a totally hopeless dork.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

:cripes: I'm just thinking of how hosed up would be Latin America in post-snap. Like lot of people would had migrated from one country to another, aiming to finally enter the USA with no problems. And them welp, blip happens and they all get round up and kicked back to Mexico* (because lol if you think is GRC is gonna spend resources sending every brown spanish speaking person to their true country of origin). Then they all would be victims of organized crime and WELL...all is hosed up.

*It has already happened in rl, is still happening.

Or political dissidents fleeing in the chaos of the snap, let's not forget that. Of all people that would benefit from the Flag Smashers are the people hurt by the nationalism some countries practice at expense of civil liberties

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Alchenar posted:

The way the show frames it, if Karli were to stand in election for President of the Earth she would win. Which has strong implications about the legitimacy of any institutions opposing her.

I think its less about her having absolute numbers and more an insanely dispersed set of supporters. Like, the Flag Smashers may only have the loyalty of a tiny percentage of the population, but because we're talking people that moved around to improve their conditions during the blip, they're very widely distributed across the globe. That's a little distinct from anything I can think of in the real world, where extremist/strongly anti-government revolutionaries tend to be a little more geographically limited in their appeal.

Alchenar posted:

Like if you take this show at face value and don't adjust for sensibleness or try to read in 'truth' from the rest of the MCU then the GRC is a fascist one-world government that makes decisions on the basis of having the military power to enforce them within its own borders, seems to be conducting a soft-genocide in Eastern Europe, and who's authority does not extend into the sphere of influence of the rival military superpower... *checks notes* Libya.

I think Sam was working for the US Air Force in that scene. He's Air Force, Torres is Air Force.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

As he so clearly stated, he read the Hobbit when it was released in 1937. If it weren't for the war, he and Steve were probably headed for some dark literary nook. Everyone's favourite professors in obscure early-American literature, or some such

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

DukeofCA posted:

Is there a reason why the Dora Milaje would take Zemo to the Raft and not Wakanda itself? Steve already proved that place is anything but impenetrable.

I took that as a joke to the audience about the security of being "taken to the Raft." She might as well have winked at the camera after. Zemo almost certainly will never make it there and if he does it's not going to last.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moreau posted:

As he so clearly stated, he read the Hobbit when it was released in 1937. If it weren't for the war, he and Steve were probably headed for some dark literary nook. Everyone's favourite professors in obscure early-American literature, or some such

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Cage Kicker posted:

I took that as a joke to the audience about the security of being "taken to the Raft." She might as well have winked at the camera after. Zemo almost certainly will never make it there and if he does it's not going to last.

I fully expect the writers intend for Zemo to be on the Raft so he can go full Hannibal Lecter on the other prisoners.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

No, Posadists. I dislike being misrepresented.

Posadists as in we should launch nukes before the capitalists to ensure the successful revolution of the proletariat or the later days when they thought a little too much about UFOs?

Bleck posted:

gosh won't anybody please think of the poor bourgeoisie

I will think about the plight of the bourgeoisie... when I introduce them to Madame Guillotine.

Hah!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

DogsInSpace! posted:

Posadists as in we should launch nukes before the capitalists to ensure the successful revolution of the proletariat or the later days when they thought a little too much about UFOs?

I will think about the plight of the bourgeoisie... when I introduce them to Madame Guillotine.

Hah!

You can never think too much about UFOs. And you’re forgetting the dolphins. The operative point of the joke, though, is the real point of launching the nukes was to reduce the population by half.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For an episode with two montages, this was very very good and enjoyable.

I laughed at Sam being better using the shield before the montage than during it

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

For an episode with two montages, this was very very good and enjoyable.

I laughed at Sam being better using the shield before the montage than during it

They were basically playing catch before the montage, he was throwing it with intent after that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I figured, but it still made me chuckle before I made the connection :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also consider Sam calling all the favors in a montage, or at least an audio-montage, because it functions identically to a montage, so really the episode has the phonecall montage, the boat montage, and the training montage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry maybe it was mentioned here already, but I presume Countess Evil Elaine is someone from the MCU that already exists. Can someone post a link to some backstory?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Martytoof posted:

Sorry maybe it was mentioned here already, but I presume Countess Evil Elaine is someone from the MCU that already exists. Can someone post a link to some backstory?

Black Widow was supposed to come out before this. It'll probably be explained then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Martytoof posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Allegra_de_Fontaine

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I knew it wouldn't happen, but for a moment I was really hoping she'd introduce herself as Selina Meyer.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Moreau posted:

Bucky would have ended up going to college and settling into a perfectly respectable life as owner of a corner pharmacy or appliance repair shop.

Steve would have focused on his love of drawing and end up in cahoots with some local kid named Stanley Martin Lieber.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I knew it wouldn't happen, but for a moment I was really hoping she'd introduce herself as Selina Meyer.

There's already enough villains this season

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The more I think on it the more I'm surprised at the dark turn the MCU is taking on this. It's interesting to see them play with this idea that the world is trying to lift everyone and put them back into their old position from five years ago, even if that makes their lives worse, and almost burry their heads in the sand. The world is trying to force the old world back instead of dealing with the fallout of Thanos. I don't have a lot of faith they will stick the landing. I expect we will be expected to think the Flagsmashers are right but use the wrong tactics which is always kind of dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord Hydronium posted:

And she has no loving idea he's not Steve Rogers and is just loving aghast and in a panic when she's informed after taking photos pointing to him going,"This guy is a real hero! I endorse everything he does! :haw:"

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I just realized something...maybe the Power Broker had been in front of us all along...

The Government Official is the Power Broker, I mean think about it. He has been on the forefront of the effort to take the Shield so he can give it to Walker knowing full well he would gently caress up badly as he is badly outmatched. He paid the men to kill Karli after stealing medicine that he was gonna hoard and sell at the black market while inciting Karli further to act against the GRC by making her want to blow up the warehouse and the GRC spins a sob story. He then uses the hearing to strip Walker of his titles, knowing full well he was gonna snap and be recruited by Madam Hydra and the fact that he is ready to send the US forces to deport the refugees with no input from other nations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Speaking of, what was up with the Senator? First, Walker's hearing is presided over by a senate committee....is that even a thing that could happen? I didn't think they really had jurisdiction over the military, and certainly not over the disciplinary systems involved. Second, the same question but at the U.N. Why is this dude representing the U.S. at the U.N. meeting? Just simplicity for the story?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

mastajake posted:

Speaking of, what was up with the Senator? First, Walker's hearing is presided over by a senate committee....is that even a thing that could happen? I didn't think they really had jurisdiction over the military, and certainly not over the disciplinary systems involved. Second, the same question but at the U.N. Why is this dude representing the U.S. at the U.N. meeting? Just simplicity for the story?

Presumably because he's Captain America, he's gone beyond military to a position relevant to the government of the nation itself, as such he likely got side-shuffled into some sort of grey area between the military and the rest of the government. He's got senators there likely because he's being stripped of his Captain America title alongside the military stuff and they're just making everything simple.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mastajake posted:

It is likely all connected. That he managed to rise in power rapidly because of the stuff he done since he was the one responsible for taking the Shield from Sam and telling them how they need a hero to represent America, not the world. I wouldn't be surprised if he name-dropped himself as Curtis Jackson during the rescue and revealing the twist that he orchestrated the events leading the summit attack

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the acting in this show is terrible

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

straight garbagio

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Google Butt posted:

straight gabagool

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Google Butt posted:

straight garbagio

Man these new Super Smash characters are kinda lame.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I laughed a lot at this and I aint even ashamed to admit it

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Desperado Bones posted:

Ah yeah.

But let us not forget all the cartel and corrupted politician assholes that got blipped returned. So if that happened in RL it would probably be a huge mess of violence.

Well, if the SNAP/BLIP showed something, is that crime and corruption are more complex problems than just "get rid of most of the bad people" could address.

I've also seen that another issue in the show is how people in power just want to go back to the good old days, where there were less immigrants, and by God there was a Captain America they could look up to. Which also ties into Isaiah focusing on the past and the wrongs that were done to the african-american community, and how Sam realizes, after knowing Steve first-hand that it's not about the U.S. politics, but representing the ideals, and that is what a real Captain America should strive for, unlike Walker's who was all about the image

Just that the way out is not going backwards or staying in place, but strive for something better, even if it will be hard.

Also, I just realized that Walker was the opposite of what Erskine wanted: he was a perfect, medal of honor condecorated soldier, and that's what the people in power looked into first, instead of judging if he was just a good man.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Moreau posted:

Just watching Winter Soldier again, and in the fight with Steve and Natasha (the choreography on that is still... wow), Natasha disables Bucky's arm. After it comes back online, he does the same little arm-swing motion he does after Oyo disables his new arm - which I thought was a nice little throwback/piece of visual storytelling

quote:

Also seriously, give Sebastian more knife scenes

Please!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When you think about it, a lightsaber is just a very long, very glowy knife. Sort your poo poo out, Disney :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Google Butt posted:

the acting in this show is terrible

Anthony Mackie and Wyatt Russel and Sebastian Stan are literally giving us the best 3 performances in the MCU in this show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tsob posted:

I don't think it is fair, to be honest. I think it's fair to compare the early Iron Man tech to Wakandan technology maybe, but beyond both using nanomachines I really don't think it's fair to compare the last few Iron Man armors to Wakandan tech. They're essentially magic at that point, and Tony can use them to completely reconfigure the suit in almost any way he wants on the fly just by thinking about it, deforming the basic suit to create huge boosters, mallets, foot clamps, energy weapons etc. All of which could be operated remotely from the suit rather than needing to be tied to it for power; meaning the nanomachines have some internal power generation of their own separate from the arc reactor. Tony gave Thanos more of a fight using the Mark 50 in Infinity War than anyone else on Titan. Including Doctor Strange, who could use actual magic. The Mark 50 and Mark 85 could also form energy shielding and use their nanomachines to heal people and repair structures instead of form weapons or the Iron Man suit.

I think even the earlier Stark Tech is probably more advanced than Wakandan technology though honestly; at least in some ways. The arc reactor is a highly efficient, compact and long lasting energy source that can also be used as both a weapon and as a means of flight through the repulsor beams it generates, for instance. That one piece of technology is probably more advanced than anything in Wakanda, and it was the first thing Tony creates on screen. It can also function as a medical device and replacement human heart. That can probably be chalked up to Yinsen rather than Tony to some degree though. Tony has a really advanced on board AI too though, along with a whole host of weapons and other support systems; the Iron Man armors power a lot more stuff in general than the Wakandan analogue (i.e. the Black Panther suits).

I also think a lot of the Black Panther suit's powers come down to the fact it's made of vibranium rather than any innately advanced technology. There's definitely some advanced technology at work given it's made of nanomachines, but the fact it can cancel out almost any kind of weapon attack or momentum is purely down to it being a vibranium weave suit for instance, and even the whole "absorb energy and redistribute it as an energy attack" thing the second suit T'Challa wears that the first suit couldn't do is probably down to vibranium in some way. I'm assuming nanotech is pretty new to Wakanda too, since the first suit T'Challa wears and the one we see T'Chaka use are traditional outfits you take on and off.

Not to mention, while the Iron Man armors are never mentioned to use vibranium at any point that I recall, Tony still managed to replicate similar energy absorption technology since in Avengers 1 the Iron Man mark 6 at the start of Avengers could absorb some of the energy from Thor's lightning, and by the time of Endgame, the Mark 85 could absorb it harmlessly all and redirect it all as an attack. Presumably even amplifying it in some manner, or there'd be no point in Thor putting it through Tony instead of just hitting Thanos with it directly.

I mean, your argument about Wakandan tech being good “just because” of vibranium could be made exactly the same for Stark tech in that his tech is good “just because” of the arc reactor. Without vibranium Wakanda has no advance tech. Without the arc reactor Stark’s tech is still just guided missiles that any defense company could build.

I just watched Civil War and Black Panther and it’s said that Black Panther takes place exactly 1 week after Civil War.

In this time period we see that Wakanda has the technology to completely heal someone (Ross) overnight. Shuri introduces the nanotech powered Black Panther suit to T’Challa as if it was no big deal and T’Challa isn’t even surprised by it so we have to assume that nanotech is just a common thing repurposed into a suit with no obvious power source. They have the same cloaking technology that SHIELD had, but they are able to expand it to cover an entire city and its outskirts 24/7/365 which must take a shitton of power, meaning they have some kind of magic unlimited power generation rivaling if not surpassing arc reactor tech before the arc reactor was invented. They also had flying hovering spaceships in whatever time period Black Panther first opens up in. Ross sees their MAGLEV trains and remarks that he’s never seen anything so advanced before. They have spears that look like spears that can generate sonic pulses and they have cloaks that look like cloaks that can project 3 meter tall shields in front of them. Black Panther’s suit is also controlled directly by the brain it seems. Also in their walks around the city we can see street merchants selling what looks like holographic projector phones indicating it’s just some cheap low level tech to them while the rest of the world is using iPhones. Also I think Shuri mentioned that their communication tech has unlimited range but I’m not 100% sure about that.

The only tech Wakanda doesn’t seem to have or embrace is AI tech that Stark relies heavily on. We see this because Shuri and later Ross had to remotely drive/pilot the car/plane instead of just having an AI do it.

Black Panther’s suit doesn’t need all that stuff that Iron Man’s suit has because they are fundamentally different. T’Challa is superhuman via the heart shaped herb which we see when Bucky tried to punch him with his metal arm and T’Challa just grabs and holds onto it like nothing. The suit just gives him additional power and protection. Tony Stark would have had his arm shattered if he tried what T’Challa did. His power comes entirely from the Iron Man suit and AI system.

I’m pretty sure Tony got his nanotech from Wakanda because his suit was still made of metal up until Infinity War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, your argument about Wakandan tech being good “just because” of vibranium could be made exactly the same for Stark tech in that his tech is good “just because” of the arc reactor. Without vibranium Wakanda has no advance tech. Without the arc reactor Stark’s tech is still just guided missiles that any defense company could build.

I disagree, since without the arc reactor there's still the AI and much more advanced nanomachine usage than anything we see in Wakanda even just confining it to the Iron Man suit, but venturing further afield you also have Ultron/Vision and the discovery of time travel. I was confining it mostly to the Iron-Man suit and Black Panther suit though, since it's the most direct analogues we have of their technology.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Black Panther’s suit doesn’t need all that stuff that Iron Man’s suit has because they are fundamentally different. T’Challa is superhuman via the heart shaped herb which we see when Bucky tried to punch him with his metal arm and T’Challa just grabs and holds onto it like nothing. The suit just gives him additional power and protection. Tony Stark would have had his arm shattered if he tried what T’Challa did. His power comes entirely from the Iron Man suit and AI system.

I’m pretty sure Tony got his nanotech from Wakanda because his suit was still made of metal up until Infinity War.

There's no indication during the films that Wakanda has started sharing technology with outsiders, and unlike Cap, Tony doesn't even have a friendship with T'Challa to directly link him. Also, while Tony might have gotten his arm shattered if he tried to fight the Winter Soldier, Iron Man wouldn't. Which we know because Iron Man doesn't when he fights Bucky. The suit makes him super strong and super durable to a level comparable to a super soldier, maybe even beyond it given he took on two super soldiers at once for a few minutes and his defeat was a bit of a drag out thing that took both super soldiers wearing themselves out. The additional weapons make him more lethal, but the suit is still strong even without them.