Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

silvergoose posted:

This video, by the way, is up for a Hugo award this year.

I thought you were kidding

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That video is great, dunno why you should think they're kidding.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just read "bronycon" and immediately rolled my eyes.

Gimme a minute, I'll watch it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just read "bronycon" and immediately rolled my eyes.

Gimme a minute, I'll watch it

You're gonna need a bunch of minutes. :D

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CainFortea posted:

That video is great, dunno why you should think they're kidding.

I was certainly confused since I knew the Hugo Award as an award for fiction and didn't know about the related material category or that YouTube was something they covered.

That's awesome though, Jenny Nicholson does good work.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just watched Askren vs. Paul on a whim, I'm not sure I can take this

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
At first I was like "Oh christ, now this rear end in a top hat's never gonna shut up" but then I realised I can just choose to never see or hear about him ever and I felt better :shrug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

At first I was like "Oh christ, now this rear end in a top hat's never gonna shut up" but then I realised I can just choose to never see or hear about him ever and I felt better :shrug:

Wow, bit rude :(

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean, you could also make the claim that impeaching judges who've done nothing more than interpret the law in a lovely regressive manner and where appointed in a legal, albeit lovely, fashion is just as "political" as increasing the amount of seats on the bench.

At a certain point something will give, and I'd rather the democrats bang the door shut on the republicans ability to write lovely laws than the reverse.

I don't disagree with you. I just like that you inherently have to make a case to impeach. I know most republican voters won't care that their case is bullshit if they were to impeach a liberal justice. But at least they'll look like morons trying to make it. And maybe it would fire up democrats to vote them out.

Expanding the courts feels like it would immediately devolve into a recursive cycle of each side expanding the courts whenever they get the chance.

I dunno, I'm tired, my brain is getting smoother the longer I stay awake and maybe I'm just not explaining myself very well, heh.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wow, bit rude :(

hahaha just to clarify I was talking about Jake Paul :cripes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That translation of Beowulf loving owns, by the way.

ZombieApostate posted:

I don't disagree with you. I just like that you inherently have to make a case to impeach. I know most republican voters won't care that their case is bullshit if they were to impeach a liberal justice. But at least they'll look like morons trying to make it. And maybe it would fire up democrats to vote them out.

Expanding the courts feels like it would immediately devolve into a recursive cycle of each side expanding the courts whenever they get the chance.

I dunno, I'm tired, my brain is getting smoother the longer I stay awake and maybe I'm just not explaining myself very well, heh.

Nah, I completely agree with you. It's one more step down a really lovely path with no actually good options.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Lincoln packed the Supreme Court, didn't he? Didn't cause an unending downward spiral then, why would it now?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I know :)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CainFortea posted:

You're gonna need a bunch of minutes. :D

It's 20 hours long

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wow he beat up a fat retired wrestler he’s two weight classes larger than in boxing.

If he fought an actual middleweight or lhw that knows now to strike he’d get loving wrecked.

I didn’t realize they weighed in at 191 until the tale of the tape and holy poo poo askren looked fat enough to make BJ Penn jealous.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

GoGoGadget posted:

Lincoln packed the Supreme Court, didn't he? Didn't cause an unending downward spiral then, why would it now?

The court had 9 members when he assumed office, with one vacancy. One justice died and another resigned to join the traitors. Congress expanded the court to 10 justices in 1863, which Lincoln nominated someone for. Finally in 1864 Chief Justice Taney died, and was replaced.

So in Lincoln’s time in office the SCOTUS was net 1 Justice and Lincoln appointed 5. Not quite the same as what is being proposed at the moment.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just :lol: at all of this
https://twitter.com/sallutephilipe/status/1383545371230576645?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

but did he get the special support are truoops interest rate?

It's not a proper joe tribute at anything under 30%

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lmao C celebrity trash

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

but did he get the special support are truoops interest rate?

It's not a proper joe tribute at anything under 30%

He also has to abandon it in the barracks parking lot on base to complete the trifecta

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Apparently Kyle Rittenhouse got grifted by Lin Wood, who ran off with a bunch of the money that hard working racist assholes donated.. According to Kyle's mom, Lin also didn't post his bail because "the apocalypse is coming and he will be safer in jail."

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1379033078912409602

gently caress the lot of them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ahahahahaha

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

stealie72 posted:

Apparently Kyle Rittenhouse got grifted by Lin Wood, who ran off with a bunch of the money that hard working racist assholes donated.. According to Kyle's mom, Lin also didn't post his bail because "the apocalypse is coming and he will be safer in jail."

bail money is bullshit

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

US Berder Patrol posted:

bail money is bullshit

In this case, I'm willing to let the lawyer get away and leave their client rotting.

But there should never have been bail for him, he should be hanging out in solitary. Or from a streetlight.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

bail money is bullshit

It is*, someone who is a clear public threat like Rittenhouse shouldn't be offered bail for any price. Just because a bunch if internet racists have his back doesn't make him less of a danger.

*maybe it can work if bail is set at a percentage of wealth, but it's such an abusive practice that getting rid of cash bail is probably the better option

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It is*, someone who is a clear public threat like Rittenhouse shouldn't be offered bail for any price. Just because a bunch if internet racists have his back doesn't make him less of a danger.

*maybe it can work if bail is set at a percentage of wealth, but it's such an abusive practice that getting rid of cash bail is probably the better option

Bail is supposed to be based on likelihood of flight, and as such is supposed to be 'how much money will it take to make sure this person doesn't bail'

So it being on a sliding scale of wealth is built in to the core concept, its just not applied properly.

This is not a defense of bail, but a condemnation of how we are loving up an already questionable practice

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i feel really bad that i'm still chuckling at this
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1383575440745394180?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bail money is bullshit but kyle rittenhouse should have never had bail set for him, just loving leave him in there until his trial.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

GoGoGadget posted:

Yeah let's suspend habeas corpus too!

Edit: bail for my deserving friends, cham-bail for the rest!

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 18, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah let's suspend habeas corpus too!

A reminder that the constitution didn't set anything about supreme court membership, beyond that it should be more than one. It literally could have been two dudes or 200000000 dudes. The Judiciary Act under Washington established Six Justices. Jefferson in 1807 bumped that number up to seven, Nine in 1837, 1863 bumped to 10. 1866 dropped to seven, 1869 bumped to nine. So acting as if "Nine is the sacred number and thus it shall ever be and anything else is political that can only lead to bad outcomes" is kind of weird IMO and I don't understand why people get bent out of shape when expansion of the courts is brought up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also because there are only 9 justices, some are overworked. Each justice is assigned one of the federal appellate circuits. Because there are 13 circuits, some of the justices have to handle requests from multiple circuits. If we're expanding the judiciary for capacity, one of the first things should be expanding the SCOTUS to even the workload and increase the number of cases that the high court can review.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

orange juche posted:

Bail money is bullshit but kyle rittenhouse should have never had bail set for him, just loving leave him in there until his trial.

Yeah either somebody is a clear and present threat to society or they’re not. Having the money to make bail doesn’t mean somebody is less of a threat, it has the exact opposite effect of being a demonstration of the resources they can use to cause additional harm to society.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GoGoGadget posted:

Lincoln packed the court in that he filled several vacancies. He didn't increase its size by 50% to dilute the opposition's power. Back then SC justices also held court in their "home" circuits (which they were gradually weaned away from over the next half century until the District Court system was established in the early 20th century). FDR wanted to add seats, but it didn't work out.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

e: open in new tab for huge

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Bail reform is definitely needed, but getting rid of cash bail altogether without mandating that violent offenses aren't eligible for bail is a recipe for disaster. Look at how many people who have warrants out for violent offenses, and go on to commit further violent crimes. That poo poo just discredits (in the public's eyes) the entire "end cash bail" movement, which in reality is meant to make sure poor people arrested for Nonviolent or petty offenses aren't sitting in jail for months or years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

Bail is bullshit, but both Lin Wood and Kyle Rittenhouse belong in jail.

But I'm also not shocked, its amazing how dedicated to the grift ANYONE touching the MAGA/Proud Boys community is.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bored As gently caress posted:

Bail reform is definitely needed, but getting rid of cash bail altogether without mandating that violent offenses aren't eligible for bail is a recipe for disaster. Look at how many people who have warrants out for violent offenses, and go on to commit further violent crimes. That poo poo just discredits (in the public's eyes) the entire "end cash bail" movement, which in reality is meant to make sure poor people arrested for Nonviolent or petty offenses aren't sitting in jail for months or years.

Getting rid of bail doesn't mean everyone goes free pending trial

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Bored As gently caress posted:

I don't believe your liberty should hinge on your wealth is all I meant. The idea that someone should be allowed to go free if they pony up some arbitrary dollar amount seems wrong to me. If they're violent and need to be corralled somewhere for everyone's safety, fine. They ought not be able to patch that up with a bond.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lightpole posted:

Also, if you get rid of cash incentives like bail money, its amazing how many fewer bullshit non-crimes would end up in court, meaning the months long waits would shorten considerably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

In NY they ended bail for a gently caress ton of offenses, including some relativelt minor violent offenses and even some offenses when you killed someone. The pushback from the public was huge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/fair-or-dangerous-days-after-ending-cash-bail-new-york-n1111346

https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/1/17/21068807/new-york-bail-reform-law-explained

The issue is that when you end cash bail, you also have to mandate incarceration for violent offenses, and especially repeat violent offenders.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 18, 2021